borges: nba scouts weigh in on the huskies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

borges: nba scouts weigh in on the huskies

Reaction Score
Sanogo is only a sophomore so going forward he could definitely improve his game, but right now he reminds me of a more athletic version of John Pinone who played for Villanova many years ago.
Hated Pinone as he was from CT but was at Nova but he was very effective down low. I can't remember if he ever dunked but John was great at getting and making shots in the post. Just a solid player.

Reaction Score

New Athletic top 100 for this year's draft. No Huskies.

If you look at this list from 60 (end of the second round) to 100, you will realize how difficult it is to get drafted into the NBA as an upper classman. So many incredible players who like they belong in the league barely make the cut.

Examples:

Kofi Cockburn - #66
Julian Champagnie - #74
Justin Moore - #78
Hunter Dickinson - #85
Johnny Juzang - #87
Trayce Jackson Davis - #100

Should put into perspective how unlikely it is for a guy like Tyrese Martin to be drafted. He has a shot to play in the league for sure, but he's going to have to work his way up from the bottom.

Champagnie and Juzang are criminally low. Not a fan of TJD, but he’s a poor man’s Thad Young. All 3 have been in the early/mid 2nd round in mock drafts

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know he's older (21 in June), but I can't believe how low scouts are on Champagnie. He's not the most athletic but he's a great scorer and a solid rebounder who has good size and can shoot. I would have thought he'd be an ideal guy to have off the bench. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't even be worth a 2nd round pick for someone, maybe they see him as a volume scorer
I think he is a bit slow and less physical for todays NBA 3
He is a great scorer but his physical attributes are not NBA type
He will find a spot as a plug in scorer but he won't have a long term career - better suited for Euro ball

Reaction Score
Hated Pinone as he was from CT but was at Nova but he was very effective down low. I can't remember if he ever dunked but John was great at getting and making shots in the post. Just a solid player.
Nova recruited several great players from Connecticut during the Massimino years. Harold Presley was another one, as was Harold Jensen. I believe Pinone’s brother also played for Rollie.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

New Athletic top 100 for this year's draft. No Huskies.

If you look at this list from 60 (end of the second round) to 100, you will realize how difficult it is to get drafted into the NBA as an upper classman. So many incredible players who like they belong in the league barely make the cut.

Examples:

Kofi Cockburn - #66
Julian Champagnie - #74
Justin Moore - #78
Hunter Dickinson - #85
Johnny Juzang - #87
Trayce Jackson Davis - #100

Should put into perspective how unlikely it is for a guy like Tyrese Martin to be drafted. He has a shot to play in the league for sure, but he's going to have to work his way up from the bottom.
Think AJ’s athleticism combined with his vision gives him a chance of getting drafted high IF he figures it out offensively. With Cole, Tyrese, Polley, and Whaley gone next year he kind of has no chance but to.

With how guys stepped up this year I’m pretty excited to see how a lineup like this can step up when consistently being relied on.

Gaffney
Hawkins
Jackson
Akok
Sanogo

Reaction Score

woj pod with espn's draft analysts jonathan givony and mike schmitz. they preview the ncaa field and discuss potential pro prospects on each team -- woj specifically shouts out hawkins, jackson, and sanogo from uconn and then schmitz goes out of his way to talk about martin. compares him to the martin twins, as others on this board have done. pretty cool.

uconn discussed around the 40 minute mark.

Reaction Score

woj pod with espn's draft analysts jonathan givony and mike schmitz. they preview the ncaa field and discuss potential pro prospects on each team -- woj specifically shouts out hawkins, jackson, and sanogo from uconn and then schmitz goes out of his way to talk about martin. compares him to the martin twins, as others on this board have done. pretty cool.

uconn discussed around the 40 minute mark.
Just listened to this and came to the board to post but you beat me! Really cool segment I thought. Sometimes as fans we overestimate our guys' NBA prospects, so it's nice to hear big-time draft analysts validate that someone like Martin is making a name for himself among NBA scouts.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Guess I’ll mention I’ve heard from a decent source in scouting that Martin is on his radar as well. He might have a chance with a strong march.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Old adversary Montreal Harrell
Wow. He just brought back nightmares from college days. The picture guy for "Beast" in the encyclopedia. Adama will have to kick it up a notch in aggressiveness to match him. With his work ethic on his weaknesses, though, as well as the skills he does have I have to like his chances at the next level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom