borges: nba scouts weigh in on the huskies | Page 3 | The Boneyard

borges: nba scouts weigh in on the huskies

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I love Adama. His work ethic alone warrants a gamble/investment on his pro prospects. I also love his game, I know post/handle.

I hate that his game is not a fit for today's NBA, but it's a reality. He's a bit like the Adrien or Dejuan Blair tweener mode. Harrell has the strength of these guys, well maybe not Blair, plus the athleticism to finish above the rim. That element of finishing above the rim, coupled with high motor seem to be the ingredients now and over the course of the last 10-15 years or so for tweeners such as the above to stick in the league, think Manimal Denver years primarily. I am absolutely certain Adama will improve with speed, quickness, strength and basketball ability, which includes an eventual three. I don't think that will happen within a year and he may have to initially play professionally elsewhere. I do believe at some point he makes into the league based upon his sheer force of will.

Reaction Score
Sorry, would someone be willing to post a copy of the article? Thanks.
There are at least 3 ways to read articles like this that have a paywall. It's been talked about a bunch on here. DM me if you want directions on each way. Can't copy and paste the entire article without getting Tom sued for copyright infringement.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I think Adama and Jackson have higher odds of being drafted than Hawkins, especially Jackson.

Hawkins' handle is really poor. He is only shooting 34% from the field and he has had layup attempts where he has completely missed the rim. Yes he has great shooting form, and he will likely become a good shooter, but to say Hawkins has a better chance of being drafted than Jackson as we near the completion of this season is a poor evaluation of talent.

Jackson was on scouts' lists prior to the beginning of the season. Yes he has a ways to go to improve his offense, but he has made a sizable leap from his first year and so will be even more intriguing to scouts.

I guess next year we will have a better perspective as to who is more likely to be drafted.

Hoping both are drafted at some point, but for now Jackson is on NBA Scots' radars and Hawkins is not.
Jackson has a lot of potential, don’t get me wrong. But to this point his offensive game is non existent. He plays with so much energy, and that’s good for a few putbacks and open dunks, but he is incapable of going and getting a bucket. You need that to play his position in the NBA. I really think he can get there. But he needs a LOT more development.

Reaction Score
Yikes. Bottom line: don't expect any 1st round picks for a while.

Their take on Sanogo is pretty much what I've said: he needs an outside shot and some passing ability to make it as a 4 or an undersized 5.

Not the best outcome for recruiting, but for success of the program at the college level, a bunch of solid 4 year players is actually pretty good.
If/when Hawk gets that 3 stroke going...AS just HAS to learn to kick out when doubled. That happens and we win lots 'o games. And if Jax figures out the dribble drive finish??? Hellllo.

Reaction Score
I thought the scouts were pretty much spot on except that Sanago has indeed become a much better rebounder of late. While he has the potential to be a decent shooter, his size is really a problem for him as an NBA prospect. However, I think he's going to have an awesome career and nice life in Europe or elsewhere.

Cole is the one player that I think could exceed projections. He confuses the eye, making him constantly underrated, but I'm starting to believe he has a Kemba/Shabazz-like magic about him. His future could blossom if his tournament performances reflect this.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jackson also has to develop a jump shot which he has none. That is why you see those hideous 10 foot floaters in the game.
Yeah it's super ugly right now. It is better than last year though, but geez how do you play basketball this long and never got around to being able to get off a midrange pull up. Whoever was the shooting coach for Kemba, bring that guy in.

Reaction Score

Their take on Sanogo is pretty much what I've said: he needs an outside shot and some passing ability to make it as a 4 or an undersized 5.

Not the best outcome for recruiting, but for success of the program at the college level, a bunch of solid 4 year players is actually pretty good.
Which means at least one more year of Adama!!

Reaction Score
Yeah it's super ugly right now. It is better than last year though, but geez how do you play basketball this long and never got around to being able to get off a midrange pull up. Whoever was the shooting coach for Kemba, bring that guy in.
Plus the NBA game has changed from Shawn Marion and Dennis Rodman played. All the players have to be able to shoot from 3 point line with some consistency to make it in today's NBA. A lot harder to hide defensive/rebounding only players unless they play Center like Drummond.

Reaction Score
I think that the scouts are sleeping on Isaiah Whaley. He already has the athleticism and defense good enough for the NBA and he has a developing 3 point shot. Yes agreed that he will most likely not get drafted but if he goes overseas for a few years and develops that outside jumper then I could possibly see him as a 3 and D player in the mold of Robert Covington. To say that 'he is not an NBA guy' and writing him off I think is shortsighted and premature. Isaiah Whaley in the NBA in 3-5 years...you heard it here first...

Daz

Reaction Score
I think that the scouts are sleeping on Isaiah Whaley. He already has the athleticism and defense good enough for the NBA and he has a developing 3 point shot. Yes agreed that he will most likely not get drafted but if he goes overseas for a few years and develops that outside jumper then I could possibly see him as a 3 and D player in the mold of Robert Covington. To say that 'he is not an NBA guy' and writing him off I think is shortsighted and premature. Isaiah Whaley in the NBA in 3-5 years...you heard it here first...
I agree. Whaley is my sleeper NBA pick.

Reaction Score
Whaley is such an elite and versatile defender that I find myself wondering if he could get any type of look, or at least a place in the G League. Still, I’m not sure Covington is a very good comparison. He shot 42% from three on 3.7 attempts per game in college. Whaley’s best shooting season was 35% on 1 attempt per game last year, before dropping to 29% this year.

Reaction Score
I know the experts here keep saying the NBA won't draft older guys, but how many players stay beyond their first contract with the team that originally drafted them?

Their contracts are for three years and most players aren't stars right away, so the teams that draft them essentially serve as the G-League for them. I cite one JB as a prime example in this his first year. Will he break out next year or the year after? Maybe, maybe not.

If most move on, then who loses by drafting a more complete player who happens to be two or three years older than a 19 or 20 year old who isn't ready for the NBA? A more complete player may provide value immediately while the "potential" superstar sits and watches for three years then leaves for the best offer.

Reaction Score
I know the experts here keep saying the NBA won't draft older guys, but how many players stay beyond their first contract with the team that originally drafted them?

Their contracts are for three years and most players aren't stars right away, so the teams that draft them essentially serve as the G-League for them. I cite one JB as a prime example in this his first year. Will he break out next year or the year after? Maybe, maybe not.

If most move on, then who loses by drafting a more complete player who happens to be two or three years older than a 19 or 20 year old who isn't ready for the NBA? A more complete player may provide value immediately while the "potential" superstar sits and watches for three years then leaves for the best offer.
First round NBA rookie contracts are 2 year contracts with additional team options for the 3rd an 4th years. These get picked up for 95% of guys (especially the 3rd year). And then after that the team owns the restricted free agent rights with option to match any contract. A guy has to accept a 1-year 5th year contract to avoid being restricted. So at a minimum, teams have 5 years of "control" over any drafted player and usually they sign 4-year extensions before 4th year that starts at 5th year so teams have promising rookies for at least 8 years.

2nd round picks are a different story and the team control can be as low as 2 years.

Reaction Score
I agree. Whaley is my sleeper NBA pick.
No way, great glue guy in college, but he has no inside game whatsoever, and he's not good enough on perimeter. His defense does not translate to the NBA because the better players will take him off the dribble. He is also not as a good a rebounder as people think and he has a hard time securing the ball when it comes off the glass, like in bounces off his finger tips. I also notice the game tends to speed up on him, and he panics a little when he has the ball. He is a great teammate and he helps UConn in so many areas, but not an NBA player.

Reaction Score
Andre and Adama both know they need to improve their face-the-basket jump shot game to play at next level. Guessing this summer will include a lot of reps in that area as they prepare for next CBB season.

Maybe Hawk or Tyler(if he's hanging around to stay in shape) can provide some pointers.

Reaction Score
Hawk already had the picture jump shot, what he doesn't have is the takeover the game/ he's the number one option guy. He dribbles, he passes. That's Cole right now but next year I expect a big increase from him. But he has the skill to force shots that he can actually make.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Jackson is 63rd on espn top 100 list for this years draft
2 way guy, coming back would easily put him in the top 60 if he makes marginal improvements to his scoring game.

Reaction Score

Sanogo is only a sophomore so going forward he could definitely improve his game, but right now he reminds me of a more athletic version of John Pinone who played for Villanova many years ago.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is only a sophomore so going forward he could definitely improve his game, but right now he reminds me of a more athletic version of John Pinone who played for Villanova many years ago.

Great season coaching Cromwell this year too. I think they're 21-1

Reaction Score

New Athletic top 100 for this year's draft. No Huskies.

If you look at this list from 60 (end of the second round) to 100, you will realize how difficult it is to get drafted into the NBA as an upper classman. So many incredible players who like they belong in the league barely make the cut.

Examples:

Kofi Cockburn - #66
Julian Champagnie - #74
Justin Moore - #78
Hunter Dickinson - #85
Johnny Juzang - #87
Trayce Jackson Davis - #100

Should put into perspective how unlikely it is for a guy like Tyrese Martin to be drafted. He has a shot to play in the league for sure, but he's going to have to work his way up from the bottom.

Reaction Score

New Athletic top 100 for this year's draft. No Huskies.

If you look at this list from 60 (end of the second round) to 100, you will realize how difficult it is to get drafted into the NBA as an upper classman. So many incredible players who like they belong in the league barely make the cut.

Examples:

Kofi Cockburn - #66
Julian Champagnie - #74
Justin Moore - #78
Hunter Dickinson - #85
Johnny Juzang - #87
Trayce Jackson Davis - #100

Should put into perspective how unlikely it is for a guy like Tyrese Martin to be drafted. He has a shot to play in the league for sure, but he's going to have to work his way up from the bottom.
And, again, Sanogo is almost certainly a 4 year guy.

If Kofi as a junior averaging 21/11 in a grown-man legit 7' frame isn't on anyone's board, Sanogo has no chance unless he starts shooting 3's.

That's not a bad thing for us. I'd be happy to have Sanogo dominate the college level for another 2 years after this even if he never sniffs the NBA.

Reaction Score
Julian Champagnie - #74

I know he's older (21 in June), but I can't believe how low scouts are on Champagnie. He's not the most athletic but he's a great scorer and a solid rebounder who has good size and can shoot. I would have thought he'd be an ideal guy to have off the bench. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't even be worth a 2nd round pick for someone, maybe they see him as a volume scorer

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom