borges: nba scouts weigh in on the huskies | The Boneyard

borges: nba scouts weigh in on the huskies

Reaction Score

i always enjoy reading these articles. seems like the scouts are lower on sanogo than the overall boneyard consensus, but higher on martin. they like jackson and hawkins, but aren't sold on them as first-round guys.

time will tell! but always interesting to read an outside, nba-oriented take on our players.

Reaction Score
Pretty fair takes except for the one scout categorizing Sanogo as a mediocre rebounder. He is leading the Big East in rebounds. That's a good bit better than mediocre.
Maybe the scout hasn't watched him lately. He's become a much better rebounder the last couple months. Rebounds outside his zone much more than he used to.

Reaction Score

i always enjoy reading these articles. seems like the scouts are lower on sanogo than the overall boneyard consensus, but higher on martin. they like jackson and hawkins, but aren't sold on them as first-round guys.

time will tell! but always interesting to read an outside, nba-oriented take on our players.
NBA scouts wont like Sanogo because there are like maybe 2 guys in the NBA that still fit the traditional center mold. If he wants to go to the league, he needs to develop an outside game.

Martin is interesting. Idk if he gets taken in the 2nd round or not, but he could stick with a team if he can work on his finishing. He does everything else well.

Jackson and Hawkins need more time, but those are two guys that have nearly unlimited potential. Combine Hawkins shooting stroke with everything else Jackson can do and you have a top 10 pick.

Reaction Score
Yikes. Bottom line: don't expect any 1st round picks for a while.

Their take on Sanogo is pretty much what I've said: he needs an outside shot and some passing ability to make it as a 4 or an undersized 5.

Not the best outcome for recruiting, but for success of the program at the college level, a bunch of solid 4 year players is actually pretty good.

Reaction Score
Maybe the scout hasn't watched him lately. He's become a much better rebounder the last couple months. Rebounds outside his zone much more than he used to.
I've been told that he led the EYBL in rebounding a few summers ago. If true, that would suggest to me that he's always been a pretty outstanding rebounder.
Screenshot_20220220-190129.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sanogo needs to expand his range for sure as he's a tweener - not gonna be a 5 in the NBA. I kind of agree with the scouting - given how he rebounds at the college level (i.e. he relies on position and muscle rather than quick-twitch second and third jumps) his rebounding attributes would be pretty pedestrian at the next level. So, like his shooting, he's going to have to work on this as well.

Reaction Score
Cool article! Poor man's Josh Hart seems like a good comp for Tyrese.

I think we will put some guys in the league coming up over the next few years, one way or another. It's also selfishly really, really nice for us as fans to have players on our team who excel at the college level who aren't NBA prospects. Big East fanbases will have nightmares about Sanogo for years if he stays through his senior season.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
NBA scouts wont like Sanogo because there are like maybe 2 guys in the NBA that still fit the traditional center mold. If he wants to go to the league, he needs to develop an outside game.

Martin is interesting. Idk if he gets taken in the 2nd round or not, but he could stick with a team if he can work on his finishing. He does everything else well.

Jackson and Hawkins need more time, but those are two guys that have nearly unlimited potential. Combine Hawkins shooting stroke with everything else Jackson can do and you have a top 10 pick.
Hawkins is shooting under 35% this year from the entire field. I’m not sure his shooting will ever have nba potential.

Reaction Score
Pretty fair takes except for the one scout categorizing Sanogo as a mediocre rebounder. He is leading the Big East in rebounds. That's a good bit better than mediocre.
yeah I read that an couldn't believe it. I understand being critical of Sanogo, I was a huge Jeff Adrien fan so I can appreciate the skill set discrepancy between college and the NBA but to criticize Adama's rebounding? Not sure I can follow that logic.

Reaction Score
Also thought it was a fair assessment. They were a little higher on Martin than I expected, but certainly in line with what I’ve felt when watching him play. Doesn’t do anything great, and he’s a senior, so will be difficult for him to get drafted, but he can hang —- wouldn’t be surprised for him to make an NBA roster.

They were also a little more negative on Sanogo than I expected. All true statements, but I’d be shocked if he’s not ultimately drafted at some point (probably in the second round).

Reaction Score
Also thought it was a fair assessment. They were a little higher on Martin than I expected, but certainly in line with what I’ve felt when watching him play. Doesn’t do anything great, and he’s a senior, so will be difficult for him to get drafted, but he can hang —- wouldn’t be surprised for him to make an NBA roster.
It comes down to role a bit. If you're an NBA team, would you rather draft the star who won't be able to be a star in the NBA, or a good role player who has good tools to be a role player in the NBA? Martin is likely to never develop into the guy who can initiate an offense for his team. He won't be iso-ing in the late clock for you. But will he be able to defend, rebound, and shoot enough? Seems like it. He has A-tier athleticism, not S-tier athleticism, but he might have the toughness to make up for it. Big question will be how quickly he can process the game. The best role players process the game very quickly.
They were also a little more negative on Sanogo than I expected. All true statements, but I’d be shocked if he’s not ultimately drafted at some point (probably in the second round).
Have to think about other examples. Kofi averaged 18/10 on a conference winning team as a sophomore and came back to school because he was probably not going to be drafted. He's bigger (but a little slower) than Sanogo.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sanogo has to gain a medium range shot as well as ball handling skills. I can see to some extent the rebounding issue in that he does tend to take plays off when he beomes frustrated. He needs to be hungry to get the ball all the time. Plus he has to look at the rim on all his shots and dunk the ball more often. He can play in the league but its going to take him at least one more full college season to develop the skills needed to be a 4 - no way is he going to be a 5 in the NBA.
Martin has come a long way since last season. He has the heart, the knack to be in the right place and does have an outside shot. He probably will have to go the free agent route but any team would want a look see during training camp. The NBA is full of undrafted players who find a niche.
Hawkins will play in the NBA, he has too much talent not to. All the naysayers will eat their words next year.
AJ has to learn to be a basketball player - he has the athletic tools to play in the NBA but he has to score the ball but with that shooting style? I don't think he is LaMelo Ball

All of them could be NBA good with time and work

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Scout 2 seem to think everyone on our team was old, including AJ. He’s one like 19-20?

Reaction Score
Scout 2 seem to think everyone on our team was old, including AJ. He’s one like 19-20?

I think the implication is that by the time he figures out his offensive game he’ll be on the older side.

Hard to quibble with anything in that piece, beyond maybe the point about Adama’s rebounding.

Reaction Score
You must admit it's a much different world now.
A little bit but not all that much a look at the top 50 players in the league today.

Europe: 7 players
College at least 2 years: 19 players
1 year or less: 24 players

And if you look at 50 greatest players of all time:

5 players who played 1 year or less in college

Lebron, Kobe , Durant, Garnett, Moses Malone

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
A little bit but not all that much a look at the top 50 players in the league today.

Europe: 7 players
College at least 2 years: 19 players
1 year or less: 24 players

And if you look at 50 greatest players of all time:

5 players who played 1 year or less in college

Lebron, Kobe , Durant, Garnett, Moses Malone

Where is your top 50 list from?

Just curious what it was sourced from

Reaction Score
Who is similar to Adama in the NBA? 6’9’with a refined inside game and not much beyond 15 feet. Not many i

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom