Bob Diaco FIRED | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bob Diaco FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kudos for pulling the trigger despite the buyout.

Please Benedict, please hire someone who can actually coach football.

Reaction Score
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to why now, I think our AD has someone up his sleeve. It was too quiet for something not to be going on. I never thought the money buyout was the issue. I think is was a red herring to keep people, including the press, from pushing too hard on Diaco's status.

It will be interesting to see who the next HC is as well as his staff.

Hope springs eternal!

I was wondering about the timing. If that's true that your President/AD have something up their sleeve, then it is a brilliant strategy. If they just came to their senses, then I think its mass confusion going forward with this timing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So Dan who's your choice? Is anyone out there that's any good?

I hate to sound silly, but I really feel like there are a great many choices out there. I think the crowd favorite would likely be Moorhead. But there are a few "lesser conference"options out there and of course the coordinator choices that have been floated as well (Weist, etc.). Some interesting "re-treads" too, such as Schiano, Golden, etc.

Moorhead might be the biggest splash...

Reaction Score
Diaco was the ultimate Peter principle. I thank him for his passion and in doing things the right way but he was just so overmatched as a HC. Wish him well and $3m should ease the pain a bit. Benedict gives us a belated Xmas present and even better some hope.

Remember Yard Hope is a good thing. Perhaps the best thing. I hope this post finds you and finds you well. Your friend Skibs

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is great news.

I am OK going off the grid for the next HC. Look at some of the top FCS coaches, lower tier FBS coaches, heck even mid-major coordinators.

I am a little sour on major conference coordinators, because those positions are so political, and NO RETREADS.

Reaction Score
Diaco came in my last year as a manager. Wonderful guy, treated me fantastic. All of the staff were so good to us. It's sad to see him go knowing him on a personal level & all he's done for my family, but I want to see UConn back to being great again.Hopefully, this hire is the one to do it.

Reaction Score
What is the impact on current recruits? Can they get rescind their commitments?

Yes... nobody has signed anything yet. They are only verbals. Nothing official till February 1 unless early enrolleee which UConn had none that I'm aware of.

Reaction Score
Someone please explain the "as of Jan 2". What was the buyout before 1/2 and after 1/2?

C

Chief00

I am aware. You said announcement on 1/2.
Some people amaze me when they are wrong - don't double down - just admit it.

They will be announcing replacement after 1/2- I later said they don't want the Edsall optics - leaving a team after a bowl - he will travel home with team.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of apologies are in order.

Absolutely, by those who doubted Pres. Herbst's commitment to keeping this university relevant, David Benedict's understanding of the gravity of staying the course, the BOD's recognizing this coaching move was the litmus test of looking out for UConn's long term welfare. In my conversations with several higher ups it was clear that there was a growing knowledge (not just a perception) by too many that we were at a Rubicon moment.
I'm extremely proud of all involved in making this happen. At a more skeptical moment I considered changing my avatar. Not any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom