Big Ten's Move | The Boneyard

Big Ten's Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Gee, I wonder what Top 5 powerhouse program plays in the area that would give B1G basketball a much needed shot in the arm in NYC??

Reaction Score
ACC tourney in Brooklyn?

The Big Ten will have its tournament in Chicago or Indiannapolis like they always do. For the Big Ten to go to New York for its tournament would be similar to the ACC having the ACC tournament in Chicago. It's the extreme edge of the conference geographically. It would be a hardship for all the midwestern fans to leave their region to come to New York just to get some exposure even though Rutgers is close to New York. It would be an extreme hardship for all the ACC fans to leave the ACC regions to get to Chicago for some exposure even though Notre Dame is close to Chicago.

Jim Delaney might want to do something like that and at some point he might try to, but the travelling basketball fans of Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, etc. would hate it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The Big Ten will have its tournament in Chicago or Indiannapolis like they always do. For the Big Ten to go to New York for its tournament would be similar to the ACC having the ACC tournament in Chicago. It's the extreme edge of the conference geographically. It would be a hardship for all the midwestern fans to leave their region to come to New York just to get some exposure even though Rutgers is close to New York. It would be an extreme hardship for all the ACC fans to leave the ACC regions to get to Chicago for some exposure even though Notre Dame is close to Chicago.

Jim Delaney might want to do something like that and at some point he might try to, but the travelling basketball fans of Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, etc. would hate it.

NYC is home to MANY B1G alum from all of those schools you mentioned. It would have zero problem playing a tournament in New York if it was coupled with a regional powerhouse like UCONN. Put it on a rotation to keep the midwestern fans happy if you want, but Barclay's or MSG would have no issue whatsoever selling tickets and marketing, which is what this is all about anyway.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

There's plenty of B1G alumni in the NYC metro area to make a tournament work. Rutgers being in the B1G is NOT moving the needle other than to say B1G as a metro NYC presence. NYC is a destination - so even for traveling fans to go to one of the most visited cities in the world for a tournament is not a hardship.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
NYC is home to MANY B1G alum from all of those schools you mentioned. It would have zero problem playing a tournament in New York if it was coupled with a regional powerhouse like UCONN. Put it on a rotation to keep the midwestern fans happy if you want, but Barclay's or MSG would have no issue whatsoever selling tickets and marketing, which is what this is all about anyway.
You beat me by a second! ha

Reaction Score
The ACC is going to rotate their tourney, so at most, you will see the tourney every other year in NY. There is no way that they give up having the tournament almost every other year in Greensboro and honestly, Greensboro is the center of the ACC and makes most sense.

Believe it or not, South Bend and Louisville are closer to Greensboro than NYC. Pittsburgh to Greensboro is only 60 miles longer than to NYC. Syracuse is closer to Greensboro than South Bend and Louisville are to NYC,

Reaction Score
Having the B1G touny in New York would kind of be like, oh I don't know, having the ACC tourny in New York. Except, B1G schools probably have more alums living in the city than ACC school.

Reaction Score
Wha? The B1G's additions of Rutty and UMD wasn't enough to entice the Barclays center to select them over the ACC??? I'm shocked. Hopefully losing out on something in NYC to the ACC will convince the B1G that something is still missing as far as hoops in the Northeast is concerned.

Reaction Score
I doubt the Barclay's Center "selected the ACC first." The ACC just moved first. If the B1G called tomorrow and said they wanted to play their 2015 or 2016 tournament in Brooklyn they'd have the contracts drawn up before the week was out.

Reaction Score

NYC is home to many alumni of every conference. But the B1G doesn't have a regional basketball power in it close to NYC. I'm not sure Rutgers would be playing in the last 3 days of a B1G tournament. The B1G has many more alumni in the Midwest than they do New York, and Indianapolis and Chicago are much shorter commutes for them. Like I said, I can see Jim Delaney trying to get some publicity by trying to pull something like that off, but it is not a natural fit. UConn might be able to help with it, but UConn isn't in the B1G at this point.

Reaction Score
The ACC is going to rotate their tourney, so at most, you will see the tourney every other year in NY. There is no way that they give up having the tournament almost every other year in Greensboro and honestly, Greensboro is the center of the ACC and makes most sense.

Believe it or not, South Bend and Louisville are closer to Greensboro than NYC. Pittsburgh to Greensboro is only 60 miles longer than to NYC. Syracuse is closer to Greensboro than South Bend and Louisville are to NYC,

The ACC likes to also have the tournmant in Charlotte, Washington, DC, and Atlanta. Add New York and Greensboro, and that's where the ACC will most likely rotate. It's been in Tampa, FL before too, but I don't see it going back there. I don't see it having a permanent home.

Reaction Score

I don't have the link for it, but it does appear that the B1G is at least exploring the idea of having the tourney in NYC. Considering that Maryland, Rutgers, and PSU are short drives, it isn't really on the periphery per se. Even for fans living in Wisconsin and Minnesota, NYC is a short 2.5 direct flight, and not burdensome to go to. No more so than for Iowa fans to get to Indianapolis (easier probably without connecting flights).

Reaction Score
I don't have the link for it, but it does appear that the B1G is at least exploring the idea of having the tourney in NYC. Considering that Maryland, Rutgers, and PSU are short drives, it isn't really on the periphery per se. Even for fans living in Wisconsin and Minnesota, NYC is a short 2.5 direct flight, and not burdensome to go to. No more so than for Iowa fans to get to Indianapolis (easier probably without connecting flights).

Rutgers and Penn St basketball don't matter at all, so that has no bearing on where a tournament will be played. The Big 10 has tons of alums in the NYC area and for a trip every four or five years, it is very attractive. Neither conference will move their tournament to NYC full time.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to OP but came here thinking the B10 made a move; but quickly figured out that wasn't the intent.

Very, very hard to believe the people who make these kind of decisionswould think Rutgers' basketball fan "base" would be worth moving the B10 tourney from midwest to NYC. . . .btw was in Jersey recently on the Pike and saw one of the "Big 10 Committed RU?" billboards. Laughed out loud then got pissed all over again. What a freakin disaster CR is

Reaction Score
Do Rutgers and Penn State send a lot of fans to a basketball tournament? I'm not sure they would even be playing in most of it. If they want to be close to Maryland, they should have it in Washington, DC. I don't doubt the Big Ten is looking at New York. Jim Delaney is talking about getting office space there. He's obsessed with it, but it's not very practical. Sure people could fly for 2 and a half hours. I'm not sure I'd call that flight short though.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Do Rutgers and Penn State send a lot of fans to a basketball tournament? I'm not sure they would even be playing in most of it. If they want to be close to Maryland, they should have it in Washington, DC. I don't doubt the Big Ten is looking at New York. Jim Delaney is talking about getting office space there. He's obsessed with it, but it's not very practical. Sure people could fly for 2 and a half hours. I'm not sure I'd call that flight short though.

Rutgers sent 392 fans to a home game. So, no.

As a matter of fact, I have never meet someone that claimed to be a RU fan. In the past I have meet some people that were lady RU fans, but CViv has personally killed all of them.

Reaction Score

I went to college in eastern PA between Penn State and Rutgers. Maybe 80% of the student body was from PA or NJ. There were Penn State/Rutgers fans... They just didn't follow or care about their basketball programs.

I think the B1G playing in NYC is for its Midwestern alumni living in the city.

Reaction Score
Right now bstimpy RU has trouble getting fan's involved in going to the Hale Center let alone NYC as much as I hate to say it! Even WBB hit a speed bump the last couple of yrs but its looking like CVS has them back on track in the final yr of her contract.Back in the 70s RU mens hoops was a tough ticket but waned in the late 80s/early 90s but I really think their 2 or so yrs away from reestablishing themselves if EJ turns out to be what we hope he is? I know recruiting in hoops seems upbeat and his name resonates in DC/NY/NJ but especially DC!

Reaction Score
With the new adds the B1G doubled the population FP including PSU in the 90s so NYC makes perfect sense!The corrider between Balt/DC to NYC is heavily populated.btw even I lost interest in hoops around the late 90s except for WBB due to bad coachin decisions at RU and won't go back until I see they care!

Reaction Score
Rutgers sent 392 fans to a home game. So, no.

As a matter of fact, I have never meet someone that claimed to be a RU fan. In the past I have meet some people that were lady RU fans, but CViv has personally killed all of them.
Until this year I was thinking CVS was past it to my dismay but I hope she has them back to top 20 status minimum? Tyler Scief i believe her name is? A true Fr seems to be a real decent point g who can create and shoot!

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Penn St basketball don't matter at all, so that has no bearing on where a tournament will be played. The Big 10 has tons of alums in the NYC area and for a trip every four or five years, it is very attractive. Neither conference will move their tournament to NYC full time.

You both brought up the same point, so I figured I would address them in tandem. No. Rutgers and Penn State basketball are at best rumors. Its not clear they actually exist. They are irrelevant in it of themselves. The point I'm getting at is that NYC is on the "periphery" of the B1G in a sense, but not as much so when multiple schools are located just 3 hours away. While it is probably true that neither school sends many fans to the tournament, neither probably does Northwestern, and the B1G tourney is currently in their backyard. Why? Because a city like Chicago, while serving as the home of the conference is also very accessible for the fans in the region. NYC is just as accessible, even if it takes additional time to get there.

Jim is probably right in that neither conference would move their tournament to NYC permanently, but I don't recall that being a serious option. Rather, playing the tournament there caters to the alumni in the area, and NYC is not a long flight from most of the B1G. Getting from NYC to Indianapolis is roughly a 1.5 hour flight. That is short. On a rotational basis, playing there guarantees ticket sales. It also goes to the notion that it isn't playing the tournament on the "fringes" of the conference. While the B1G could move its tournament to D.C. to be closer to Maryland (it is just as easy for the other schools to access), it is not much more of a burden to get up to NYC either. All things considered equal, choosing NYC over D.C. is well...duh. Not sure how else to put that one. Why else is the ACC considering the move? With the exception of B.C., Rutgers, PSU, and Maryland are closer to NYC than any ACC school. That is more in line with a "fringe" argument than the B1G playing there.

Reaction Score
I went to college in eastern PA between Penn State and Rutgers. Maybe 80% of the student body was from PA or NJ. There were Penn State/Rutgers fans... They just didn't follow or care about their basketball programs.

I think the B1G playing in NYC is for its Midwestern alumni living in the city.

Jim Delaney would say that a B1G basketball tournament in NYC is for Midwestern alumni in the city. He could also have it in Los Angeles and say the same thing. I think it would mostly be for his personal ego if he put it in NYC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The B1G neither wants nor needs to have its tourament in NY. It has Chicago. It likes NYC as a market for the BTN, but leaving a city that is nearly as big, much more central to the league and which already has a huge number of alumns from the conference schools (much more than NY) would be pointless. What's next, you think the Pac wants to play in NY instead of LA? NY is the biggest market in the country, but it is not to the U.S. what Paris is to France. It's still a tiny part of the whole country. Let's not overrate it compared to Chicago or LA. It is only slightly more relevant as a market.

Outside of the tri-state area, (and I'm only including Fairfield county and maybe Danbury in CT), most of America doesn't give a crap about NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom