Big Ten's Move | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Ten's Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Theoretically, a day is 24 hours. Every school is within a day's drive, but that doesn't make it a smart move.

How will it be determined if the ACC tournament is a bust? It is in the ACC and Barclays Center's best interest to put the best face on the story as they possibly can.

The arena will "sell out," no question. Whether ticket are sold through direct channels, given away, or purchased on the secondary market is another story that can be spun however the ACC and the Barclays wishes. The narrative will be that there were butts in seats and millions of people who didn't make the drive or just want to watch basketball will tune into ESPN all over the country, but the Tournament games would get the same rating regardless of venue. The ACC is not a regional brand. It is distributed nationally and has been for years.

It's a similar situation to how the BCS's set up forced the Fiesta Bowl to invite UConn in 2011 and UCF this year. Different narrative, but similar situation. Tickets will be sold (and were sold in 2011) and every seat in the house in Glendale will be (was) filled. But the narrative is Big East (AAC) teams don't belong in the BCS and UConn (UCF) shouldn't represent the conference because only 2,500 (5,000) fans bought tickets through direct channels (i.e. over-inflated school sanctioned packages).

The Barclays Center will make their money. They sign the contract for a weeks' rent months ahead of time. It is what it is. Beyond that. I hope ALL of these conferences and TV channels lose their collective shirts on these TV deals. It would be just fine with me if ESPN's mobile production truck gets struck by lightning just before tip off and all tickets are obtained through means other than from the school allotment. I want the Conferences to go F'in bankrupt. Blow up the system and re-organize in a manner that makes sense. Piecemeal conference realignment not only takes too long, it is disjointed and illogical.

I don't know if the ACC Tournament in the Barclay's Center will Sell Out, and you don't know either. And I'm talking about people sitting in the seats, not proxy tickets. If the seats are empty, the ACC won't go back there again. The ACC has proven venues where we do sell out and the people show up and sit in the seats. I hope this happens in New York too, but it is not guaranteed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Semis and Finals will be sell outs in terms of bodies in seats. The rest of the games will be sell outs in terms of tickets distributed. If you are looking for quarter finals and earlier to be sold out in terms of fannies in seats, you won't get it. 1) people work. 2) Match up dependent. The old Big East played to a half filled arena for Seton Hall vs. West Virginia on a Thursday Afternoon.

I don't know if the ACC Tournament in the Barclay's Center will Sell Out, and you don't know either. And I'm talking about people sitting in the seats, not proxy tickets. If the seats are empty, the ACC won't go back there again. The ACC has proven venues where we do sell out and the people show up and sit in the seats. I hope this happens in New York too, but it is not guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Our FBS football investment made out. Nice. We should have done this in the late 80s - early 90s and joined the Big East then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits
Top Bottom