Big East Transfer Portal Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If a coach could ever get Alexander to play even a little bit under control, he would be a pretty good player. I don't think he is a great shooter, but it is hard to tell when he takes so many crazy, super low percentage shots. As for the rest, maybe Matta has landed the low major motherload. More likely, Butler is going to struggle with this roster.
But is it Posh’s fault he was so poorly coached for 2 seasons?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Such a weird move for Posh Alexander to Butler, must have got a BAG.. Love the St. Johns kid, he's such a bulldog. I would have thought he could have dont better than Seton Hall.
A lot of Seton Hall fans thought the same thing.

Reaction Score
More on Taylor:

The 6'6 200 wing from Vegas played well in his second season at Oregon State, second on the team in scoring (11.6p), first in assist rate and elite nationally at getting to the line (45th best FT rate) with a strong 80.7 FT%.

Taylor gives St. John's an athletic wing who can break down the defense off the dribble and get to the bucket.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is David Jones injured? There has been no news about him at all. I think he is good enough to get on the court for UConn, so I am surprised there is literally no buzz about him at all.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Damn I had no idea he was eligible for one more year. I thought this was his last year. He already played 5 years of college ball. After seeing he is 24 years old, it makes sense. He wants to make money now.
...plus he's married. Time to start bringing home the bacon.

Reaction Score

Bediako is a 6'10 245 grad transfer from Santa Clara who was a steady, classic big who played close to starter minutes. Should backup Elijah Hutchins-Everett.

Averaged 6.0p, 4.9r, 1.0b in 22.7 mpg last season.

Had to check if this is another common name in other cultures but no, his little bro is Bama’s center.

Reaction Score
Is David Jones injured? There has been no news about him at all. I think he is good enough to get on the court for UConn, so I am surprised there is literally no buzz about him at all.
Might not be getting the interest he wanted. His shooting splits were bad this year (and his 3pt% has never been good in any of his 3 years).

Reaction Score
Might not be getting the interest he wanted. His shooting splits were bad this year (and his 3pt% has never been good in any of his 3 years).
Yeah he played really bad almost every time I checked in on St. John's this year. Very inefficient, kind of a black hole with the ball. Not sure what he does real well anymore. Def not a fit for a team that likes to move the ball like we do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I know you have looked at some of the detritus that has been picked up out of the transfer portal. Are you saying that Jones is not as good as ANY of them?

Jones is an above average defender that can create his own shot against the other team's better defenders, and passes the ball. He played in a sloppy mess of an offense last year, but his numbers were not that bad at Depaul. It is definitely strange that he is getting no interest at all.

Reaction Score
I know you have looked at some of the detritus that has been picked up out of the transfer portal. Are you saying that Jones is not as good as ANY of them?

Jones is an above average defender that can create his own shot against the other team's better defenders, and passes the ball. He played in a sloppy mess of an offense last year, but his numbers were not that bad at Depaul. It is definitely strange that he is getting no interest at all.
That’s precisely NOT what he is saying.

Reaction Score

He could just be managing the situation quietly. I'm not sure what his eligibility status is either. He might need to graduate in 3 to get a waiver, so maybe he's focused on that right now.

He can create his own shot, but the shot doesn't go in, is the problem. His 3-point shooting has been bad every year, but his at-rim finishing struggled much more last season than at DePaul. That is likely due to St. John's lack of spacing and poor offense as you said. His free throwing shooting improved, so there is hope for his jump shot, but he has to work on shot selection. Takes way too many off the dribble/unassisted 3s relative to his shooting ability.

I think from his perspective, he might not be getting the right mix of role/team. He probably wants to be the guy on a high major team as a score-first junior. If I were a high major coach, I would not want him to be my primary option, mostly because of those aforementioned shot selection issues. If I were a mid major coach, I'd probably be pretty stoked about that possibility, though.

We'll see where he ends up.

Reaction Score

David Jones is also a second-time transfer who is not a grad transfer.

That means a waiver is needed for him to play next season.

Inherently, that makes players like David Jones much less attractive, especially with so many other pieces moving.

If Jones was a first-time transfer, that'd be a different story.

Reaction Score

Looks like Pitino is starting to build something there at St. John’s.. it didn’t look good when all his players were transferring out… now he’s bringing in some pretty good players…might have been his plan all along… I hope they are good next year… it’s good for the big east

Reaction Score
Looks like Pitino is starting to build something there at St. John’s.. it didn’t look good when all his players were transferring out… now he’s bringing in some pretty good players…might have been his plan all along… I hope they are good next year… it’s good for the big east
I don't care. I hate St. John's. They can't lose enough for me. Honeymoon for Pitino? Uconn fans wishing him well? Over. Blank them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
David Jones is also a second-time transfer who is not a grad transfer.

That means a waiver is needed for him to play next season.

Inherently, that makes players like David Jones much less attractive, especially with so many other pieces moving.

If Jones was a first-time transfer, that'd be a different story.

I have no idea what his academic status is, but your point is reasonable. Jones would have two years of eligibility, right? A 4th year and a Covid year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom