BIG EAST DIVIDED ON 14TH MEMBER | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BIG EAST DIVIDED ON 14TH MEMBER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm with Carl on this one, DO NOT BELIEVE A THING ESPN SAYS!

The NBE could get a committment from Texas and USC and ESPN would say even with these schools the total payout would be $8m for all members.

How a lawsuit is not levied against ESPN or an antitrust suit really bugs me, its almost as bad as Secretray Geithner bailing out AIG in order for AIG to pay Goldman millions of USD in funds owed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Best part of the article. 14th team draws Memphis as 'rival'. Talk about putting your best foot forward. Hopefully it's BYU maybe they can pray Memphis into the top 110.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
BYU has to be the 14th member, if they can make the tv rights agreement happen. It will add another solid football team with a big following.

On a side-note: I really friggin' hate the "Red Division - Blue Division" crap!!! What was the point of adding "Western traveling partners" for Boise if they aren't all going to be in their division??? Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid........stupid.....:mad:

While we're at it, why don't we make the Red and Blue divisions reflect school colors, because that would make just as much sense:

Red: Rutgers, SMU, SDSU, Cincy, Louisville, Houston, and Temple
Blue: UConn, Boise, Memphis, Navy, USF (default), UCF (default), and BYU (if they come)

We're color-coded!!!! Yay!!!! :confused: (sorry about the rant, I'm just frustrated)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Best part of the article. 14th team draws Memphis as 'rival'. Talk about putting your best foot forward. Hopefully it's BYU maybe they can pray Memphis into the top 110.

I would bet $20 and a dozen doughnuts that if it's BYU, their rival will become Boise and SDSU will get Memphis. SDSU is probably the only BE team praying that BYU doesn't join...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would bet $20 and a dozen doughnuts that if it's BYU, their rival will become Boise and SDSU will get Memphis. SDSU is probably the only BE team praying that BYU doesn't join...

There is a solution that makes about 800000 times more sense. Navy gets SDSU and Temple gets Memphis - but the idiots that run this league can't find their asses in a dark room so I won't hold my breath.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
There is a solution that makes about 800000 times more sense. Navy gets SDSU and Temple gets Memphis - but the idiots that run this league can't find their asses in a dark room so I won't hold my breath.

Well, I think what they are hoping for is that either one or both of Temple and Navy become somewhat relevant (i.e., top25), and then try to use that to leverage the Philly-Baltimore-DC metro areas for ratings. I'll let you decide whether or not that is something that is.....possible.

The only bright side that was offered in that idiotic plan was that they respect the fact that UConn and RU have to be together in the rivalry game. There was so much early talk about making it RU-Temple that I was actually starting to believe the league was dumb enough to do it...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
In my opinion there is really only one way to do the divisional split, and that is East and West. I know they are trying like hell to avoid it because of the fact that the "Big East East" and the "Big East West" names will become a running joke. So call them something else!!!

Big East Colonial (or whatever): UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincy, USF, Temple, UCF
Big East Frontier (or whatever): Boise, SDSU, BYU, Navy, SMU, Houston, Memphis

Your rivalry games are now within your own division, and you get 3 rotating cross-over games (almost half the other side). The "original" Big East members (Temple included) are on the same side. Travel is cut down on, and each conference's power is evenly distributed (Colonial might be tougher top to bottom and the Frontier is a little top-heavy). Simple! Do it! Jesus! Help me!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, I think what they are hoping for is that either one or both of Temple and Navy become somewhat relevant (i.e., top25), and then try to use that to leverage the Philly-Baltimore-DC metro areas for ratings. I'll let you decide whether or not that is something that is.....possible.

The only bright side that was offered in that idiotic plan was that they respect the fact that UConn and RU have to be together in the rivalry game. There was so much early talk about making it RU-Temple that I was actually starting to believe the league was dumb enough to do it...

If the league somehow comes up with non-geographical divisions I may go blind with rage. It's idiotic to the point of questioning the sanity of the people who run these universities.

Reaction Score
BYU has to be the 14th member, if they can make the tv rights agreement happen. It will add another solid football team with a big following.

On a side-note: I really friggin' hate the "Red Division - Blue Division" crap!!! What was the point of adding "Western traveling partners" for Boise if they aren't all going to be in their division??? Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid........stupid.....:mad:

While we're at it, why don't we make the Red and Blue divisions reflect school colors, because that would make just as much sense:

Red: Rutgers, SMU, SDSU, Cincy, Louisville, Houston, and Temple
Blue: UConn, Boise, Memphis, Navy, USF (default), UCF (default), and BYU (if they come)

We're color-coded!!!! Yay!!!! :confused: (sorry about the rant, I'm just frustrated)

I'm sure the divisions only apply to FB.

I actually hate the idea of geographic-based divisions, so I prefer this red/blue setup.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If the league somehow comes up with non-geographical divisions I may go blind with rage. It's idiotic to the point of questioning the sanity of the people who run these universities.

I couldn't have said it any better. A gigantic WTF. The answer is so simple that it is escaping them...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm sure the divisions only apply to FB.

I actually hate the idea of geographic-based divisions, so I prefer this red/blue setup.

It's horrid!!! Keep in mind that some of the reason behind some of the additions to the conference were under the guise of "traveling partners." If we no longer need western "traveling partners," then what #$k is Memphis doing here???? They are the 7th best football team in Tennessee!!

Reaction Score
It's horrid!!! Keep in mind that some of the reason behind some of the additions to the conference were under the guise of "traveling partners." If we no longer need western "traveling partners," then what #$k is Memphis doing here???? They are the 7th best football team in Tennessee!!

Traveling partners idea is irrelevant for football, because you're only playing one game a week.

Repeat: I doubt the divisions will apply to the other sports.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Traveling partners idea is irrelevant for football, because you're only playing one game a week.

Repeat: I doubt the divisions will apply to the other sports.

I'm not sure why you keep repeating that the divisions will not apply to other sports, since Boise, SDSU, Navy, and perhaps even BYU won't play in those sports anyways. You don't need a volleyball traveling partner if you aren't playing in our conference in volleyball...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you keep repeating that the divisions will not apply to other sports, since Boise, SDSU, Navy, and perhaps even BYU won't play in those sports anyways. You don't need a volleyball traveling partner if you aren't playing in our conference in volleyball...

And I'm not sure why you're talking about travel partners in relation to football.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And I'm not sure why you're talking about travel partners in relation to football.

You're not?? This is the first you've heard of Big East "travel partners" for football???

Dec. 5th 2011: http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/201...e-boise-state-san-diego-state-smu-ucf-houston

"the Big East is prepared to go forward with a plan that includes San Diego State as the western travel partner for Boise State and helps create a west division with SMU, Houston, UCF and eventually Navy and Air Force."

Four months ago: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-big-west-adds-the-broncos-olympic-sports

"One overlooked angle in this whole Big West and Big East dilemma is San Diego State. Remember, they were added to the Big East to be Boise State's western travel partner."

November 7, 2011: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...07_1_temple-and-memphis-bronco-mendenhall-byu

"UCF President John Hitt said Conference USA candidates UCF, SMU and Houston all wanted to announce their transition to the Big East as a group with Mountain West member Boise State, but the Broncos are waiting for the Big East to add another western travel partner before formally announcing their move to the new conference."

Seriously?? This is your first time hearing it....wow...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It has to be BYU and then Air Force and Army if you need the 16 teams. I prefer 14 with adding BYU and leaving it at that. That way you play 9 conference games 3 out of conference and then a championship game with a tied in with the Cotton Bowl which I think will be the next BCS bowl added. Playing in Dallas Stadium before 100,000 people will help any Big East team.

Reaction Score
If the Big East entices both BYU & Air Force, but Army still resists, then make a run at Colorado State. They may be middle of the road in the Mountain West, but they solidify a Western Division.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I say we add Hawaii and Andersen Airforce Base in Guam to round out the Western Division of the NBE.

I know we're all trying to right a sinking ship, seeing as how we're currently onboard. But, does anyone else secretly hope the powers that be at UConn are planning our exit to a more stable, BCS friendly conference?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You're not?? This is the first you've heard of Big East "travel partners" for football???

Dec. 5th 2011: http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/201...e-boise-state-san-diego-state-smu-ucf-houston

"the Big East is prepared to go forward with a plan that includes San Diego State as the western travel partner for Boise State and helps create a west division with SMU, Houston, UCF and eventually Navy and Air Force."

Four months ago: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-big-west-adds-the-broncos-olympic-sports

"One overlooked angle in this whole Big West and Big East dilemma is San Diego State. Remember, they were added to the Big East to be Boise State's western travel partner."

November 7, 2011: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...07_1_temple-and-memphis-bronco-mendenhall-byu

"UCF President John Hitt said Conference USA candidates UCF, SMU and Houston all wanted to announce their transition to the Big East as a group with Mountain West member Boise State, but the Broncos are waiting for the Big East to add another western travel partner before formally announcing their move to the new conference."

Seriously?? This is your first time hearing it....wow...

Dan, that's because you and all those articles are misusing the term 'travel partner'.

A travel partner, would be for instance UCF and USF. If UConn volleyball flies to Florida during the week, they can play UCF in Orlando and USF in Tampa in one trip. Or take SMU and Houston, and if we play them in basketball, it just means one trip to Texas.

For football only schools, the idea of a travel partner is irrelevant. You play one football game a week and you fly to one destination, wherever it is, across the country one time a week. Also, the idea that Boise, Idaho and San Diego, CA are remotely close enough to be considered a partner, even if they were in for all sports, is bogus as well.

So, basically 95% of the media missuses the term, when they should just be saying, traditional geographic rivals.

Sorry for the rant, but for whatever reason that misnomer bothers me haha.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, that's because you and all those articles are misusing the term 'travel partner'.

A travel partner, would be for instance UCF and USF. If UConn volleyball flies to Florida during the week, they can play UCF in Orlando and USF in Tampa in one trip. Or take SMU and Houston, and if we play them in basketball, it just means one trip to Texas.

For football only schools, the idea of a travel partner is irrelevant. You play one football game a week and you fly to one destination, wherever it is, across the country one time a week. Also, the idea that Boise, Idaho and San Diego, CA are remotely close enough to be considered a partner, even if they were in for all sports, is bogus as well.

So, basically 95% of the media missuses the term, when they should just be saying, traditional geographic rivals.

Sorry for the rant, but for whatever reason that misnomer bothers me haha.

No, unfortunately, you are the one misunderstanding the term "travel partner." The reason that I know that you are misunderstanding the term is because it was specifically requested by Boise State and their AD (Kustra) as a condition of joining the conference. He was quite clear about its meaning...

Reaction Score

Whaler, network demographics define divisions, not universities.

Reaction Score
I say we add Hawaii and Andersen Airforce Base in Guam to round out the Western Division of the NBE.

I know we're all trying to right a sinking ship, seeing as how we're currently onboard. But, does anyone else secretly hope the powers that be at UConn are planning our exit to a more stable, BCS friendly conference?

Hell to the Flippin Yes!

Reaction Score
No, unfortunately, you are the one misunderstanding the term "travel partner." The reason that I know that you are misunderstanding the term is because it was specifically requested by Boise State and their AD (Kustra) as a condition of joining the conference. He was quite clear about its meaning...

Dan, Boise wants a conference partner that's closer than a 3.5 hour flight. That's not a "travel partner".

Reaction Score
In my opinion there is really only one way to do the divisional split, and that is East and West. I know they are trying like hell to avoid it because of the fact that the "Big East East" and the "Big East West" names will become a running joke. So call them something else!!!

Big East Colonial (or whatever): UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincy, USF, Temple, UCF
Big East Frontier (or whatever): Boise, SDSU, BYU, Navy, SMU, Houston, Memphis

Your rivalry games are now within your own division, and you get 3 rotating cross-over games (almost half the other side). The "original" Big East members (Temple included) are on the same side. Travel is cut down on, and each conference's power is evenly distributed (Colonial might be tougher top to bottom and the Frontier is a little top-heavy). Simple! Do it! Jesus! Help me!

This is exactly how this should shake out. Screw ESPN if they don't like it. Connectict should put up tolls in and out of that campus. Single booths so as to slow the traffic down with long lines. ESPN has never been a "good corporate neighbor" to Connecticut football.

This arranging divisions is not that hard. ESPN and others need to stop making it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom