BIG EAST DIVIDED ON 14TH MEMBER | The Boneyard

BIG EAST DIVIDED ON 14TH MEMBER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, the good news of the "Red -- Blue" split they are talking about is we would play each of Louisville, USF, Rutgers and Navy every year. I can live without playing Temple more than once every seven years.

Reaction Score
that would mean Cincy, Boise...and ideally BYU...only once every 6 years and once every 12 years at The Rent

Reaction Score
2 thoughts:

1. really, we are debating who might improve brand image - BYU or AFA? Really? I hope the debate is, instead, over how much control the Mormons want.
2. The schedule idea fails - 4 OOC games is unmanageable in a mega conf world. We need 9 BE games and 3 OOC games. Otherwise, we will have an OOC that mirrors that of RU

Reaction Score
2 thoughts:

1. really, we are debating who might improve brand image - BYU or AFA? Really? I hope the debate is, instead, over how much control the Mormons want.
2. The schedule idea fails - 4 OOC games is unmanageable in a mega conf world. We need 9 BE games and 3 OOC games. Otherwise, we will have an OOC that mirrors that of RU

We need to bring BYU in, and if it includes giving them some flexibility (they don't get a full share but they keep Tier 3 rights that others are contributing) so be it.

I have no trouble adding Air Force and Army, if they both want to come, to get to 16 if the networks say that helps the contract (and it probably does), but we don't need that. What we need is another program that is perceived to play quality football.

Reaction Score
The more interesting thing here is that they state the predicted high range on the contract will pay 8.7 million per school for all sports.

Reaction Score
BYU should be at the top of the list now and should have been at the top of the list during any expansion talks that included western teams. I have no problem going to 16 if BYU is included. They are an historically strong program with the lengthy record of wins against PAC and B-12 teams. Not crazy about the 16 team conference. Still shake my head about adding Memphis when BYU and Air Force could have been added to get to 14.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
just go to 16
8 in eash east/west
play your division plus a rival from the other.
-navy
memphis-lville
the others you can play with

Reaction Score
The Service academies are not traditional Universities do they really care about TV revenue? It's not like they need the money. If they are interested in the exposure that would make sense for them but I'm sure the money is no big deal.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The Service academies are not traditional Universities do they really care about TV revenue? It's not like they need the money. If they are interested in the exposure that would make sense for them but I'm sure the money is no big deal.

It is about exposure, recruiting, scheduling, and bowl availability. While the idea of being an independent sounded great for Army...I think they are starting to realize that it just isn't going to be possible because of scheduling difficulty.

Reaction Score
We're . Time to get out of C-USA, part Deux. TV contract numbers suck.

Reaction Score
Anybody remember what the supposed number was per team that Marinatto and the league rejected?

Reaction Score
Supposedly $11 million/school

link
Neal Pilson, former president of CBS Sports, is optimistic about the Big East’s outlook.
“If the Big East schools hang together, I believe they can secure a new TV deal equal to or better than the last offer from ESPN, because the media competition for their rights will be intense,” he said.
of course this quote was pre-ND to the ACC. We'll see what impact that drives.

Reaction Score
LOL! ESPN throws out a number to the public and of course the guppies race right to it.

Reaction Score
when did McMurphy leave cbs?

Right around the same time that Aresco announced he was leaving for the Big East. Wonder how well McMurph and Aresco got along (from the college football side of the house).

How can UConn NOT be in the National Flag Blue division???

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So typical home slate:

FCS/MAC
MAC/BCS
Louisville
Memphis
Navy
Houston
UCF

, that's beyond brutal.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Well we can't play all those teams at home every year. Plus RU is a yearly game, no? I'm not thrilled with the pairings as I'd rather have Boise than SDSU in our division and I'd rather have Temple as well instead of Memphis as I'd rather have a game that we can travel to easily on the schedule.

What's the plan for next season when Navy is not in conference? No divisions?

EDIT: Realized the teams listed above are not all in our division...sorry for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom