BIG EAST DIVIDED ON 14TH MEMBER | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BIG EAST DIVIDED ON 14TH MEMBER

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, network demographics define divisions, not universities.

Actually people define divisions. Why would network demographics define divisions - they can play whatever inter division games they want.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I cannot understand the desire to add Army. Terrible horrible miserable idea.

Great destination for a game, but I agree.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason to have Boise in the conference is to mesh their FB prestige with the BE name. You need them regularly in the eastern media for that to happen. Having them play in the New WAC (aka, the Big East: West) doesn't do it.
The new members need to be integrated.

Reaction Score
As soon as the ESPN exclusivity period is over, we'll know about the next few years. If there is enough money from NBC that the conference remains a threat, and Navy and Boise will join, ESPN will make sure that Louisville and/or UConn is invited somewhere else, thus causing the split of the basketball onlies and the remaining football schools being a new CUSA plus.

If it's not enough money to threaten ESPN, we are stuck where we are until Notre Dame becomes a football member of the ACC, and nothing will happen for a while.

You'll know in the next ninety days.

Reaction Score
As soon as the ESPN exclusivity period is over, we'll know about the next few years. If there is enough money from NBC that the conference remains a threat, and Navy and Boise will join, ESPN will make sure that Louisville and/or UConn is invited somewhere else, thus causing the split of the basketball onlies and the remaining football schools being a new CUSA plus.

If it's not enough money to threaten ESPN, we are stuck where we are until Notre Dame becomes a football member of the ACC, and nothing will happen for a while.

I hope you're right about UConn and joining either the ACC or the Big 12.

Reaction Score

A C-USA with Rutgers. Who'd ever have imagined that? This is a mesh of elite C-USA and Mountain West teams and a couple of old Big East teams. We are not new in FBS football anymore. This is our 10th season at the Rent. Our tradition looks good. Navy is giving up it's independence for the first time in it's history. That has to mean something. I would definitely prefer to get the **** out as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
The Big12? That seems pretty remote to me.
I think the Big 12 makes sense for a few reasons, but it would have to be a package deal.

UConn, RU, Louisville, and Boise St (or USF). BYU could be an obstacle. Or USF and BYU for 16, but I'm still of the opinion that 16 doesn't make sense financially until I see otherwise.

I think we could be part of an attractive package to the Big 12 which can expand their footprint, add up and coming football programs, and 2 basketball powerhouses. That would bring them to 14. With the $50mm ACC exit fee, I think if they want to expand they are going to have to consider who in the big east is most attractive. That's us, RU, and Ville.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I hope there will still be interest from NBC (and hopefully Comcast will be a bit more forceful than prior NBC regimes had been) but I've had experience with their sports department nearly two decades ago and my gut feeling is that the loss on ND (and the stark realization on NBC's part that dealing in this business will require some hands getting dirty, perhaps even a bit bloody) ended any aspiration of a 24/7 sports network attempting to compete with ESPN. I also don't believe that it is coincidence that ESPN's peer review will be conducted by Ohlmeyer, the man who helped build the modern version of NBC sports and someone still well enough connected with those within NBC to cause some trouble if the sleeves need to be rolled up.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dan, Boise wants a conference partner that's closer than a 3.5 hour flight. That's not a "travel partner".

I'm just not sure how I can be any more clear for everyone here. San Diego State was an important part of Boise joining the league, whether you want to believe it or not. This was an article from the Bronco beat-writer (Brian Murphy) on November 3rd of last year:

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/20...ss_state_board_education_phone_todays_meeting

"Kustra said it was important that the Boise State have a "Western partner" in the new-look Big East, which is planning to split into two six-team divisions. The league is planning to invite Boise State, Air Force and Navy for football only and add Central Florida, Houston and SMU in all sports.
"Air Force has not indicated it's ready to make that move," Kustra said. "... We made it very clear to them, if I was going to go in, if Boise State was going to go in, we would go in with a Western partner."
Kustra said under the current plan Boise State would be in a Western Division with Air Force, Houston, SMU, Louisville and Cincinnati. He said the league is in discussions with other Western schools about possibly joining the league. He did not name those schools, but reports have surfaced that BYU is a possibility. San Diego State has indicated it would have some interest in joining a Western Division of the Big East."

I hope that I've made it clear for everyone now...

Reaction Score
"Western partner" does not mean "Western TRAVEL partner"

And sure, they wanted another school out west, so they werent 5000 miles away from everyone else. No brainer.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
"Western partner" does not mean "Western TRAVEL partner".

No, it must not have meant a travel partner, it must have just meant a B.F.F.!!! Who doesn't want to share a heart necklace with an Aztec? :confused: :eek:

Reaction Score
God, does this whole NBE thing suck beyond imagination. This is a total cr-a-p sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom