OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 23 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Best in Cheshire by a mile . . .

My family was generally afraid of cities (which is why I moved to a city [boston] immediately after graduating from Storrs) and thus I did not get to enjoy Pepe’s until I could drive. Rossi’s in Cheshire was the best; but, sadly, I actually lived on Pizza Smut when I was in high school as I had friends working there and stopped by a lot. When I visited part of my family, Roseland in Derby was also very good and has a solid rep.

By the way, what is up with Pepe’s expanding all over the place now – CT, Yonkers, Boston? There is only 1 Pepe’s!

Reaction Score
Bar is excellent. It is a little off course from the traditional New Haven Pie, but is really good. Some creative offerings. I really like the Mashed potato and bacon pizza.

I have never been to BAR. Is it better than Willington? That is my favorite non-traditional of mine that my wife likes (she does not like the 'burnt' aspect of Pepe's, her loss)?

Reaction Score
Bertucci's is usually good, but it depends on the store and who made it that day. My family likes the pizza at BBC too, although it's more the Greek style. Two for one on Tuesdays is hard to beat.

My first job coming out of UConn was a CSR at a financial services company in Boston. During tax season, they would bring in pizza for lunch and dinner to keep us on the phones for 10 hours straight. It was always Bertucci’s. It’s not bad; but, after 4 tax seasons full of it, I will never eat it again.

Reaction Score
My family was generally afraid of cities (which is why I moved to a city [boston] immediately after graduating from Storrs) and thus I did not get to enjoy Pepe’s until I could drive. Rossi’s in Cheshire was the best; but, sadly, I actually lived on Pizza Smut when I was in high school as I had friends working there and stopped by a lot. When I visited part of my family, Roseland in Derby was also very good and has a solid rep.

By the way, what is up with Pepe’s expanding all over the place now – CT, Yonkers, Boston? There is only 1 Pepe’s!
I think when we refer to Pepe's it should always be about Wooster St, Now their other locations are pretty good just not "Pepe's"

Reaction Score
Rossini's in East Hampton. Pizzeria Da Vinci in Colbalt, Giovanni's in Glastonbury, and Fireside in Gales Ferry are all excellent. Pepe's has regressed since they started to expand.

Generally, I prefer fire ovens or the old school pizza ovens. Greek pizza is far to doughy for my tastes and Chicago style "pizza" is not a pizza. It's a casserole. Finally, I have no issue walking out of a "pizzeria" before ordering if I see a conveyor oven. If part of the pizza is a little crisper than others, it speaks to the character of the establishment.

All that said, it is true that pizza is like se><. Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good and pizza of any sort is better than the "best" American Chinese food, which by my definition can only achieve the rank of average.

Had a Giovanni's last winter and must say a little too heavy on the dough but not awful………..beer was real good though

Reaction Score
The best pizza place in Connecticut burned down last week... Sammy's Pizza and Grill in Southport. But it will be rebuilt! Hooray.

Reaction Score
For anyone in southeast CT....check out Pizza Cucina in East Lyme. It is great.

That said...there is Pepes and then everyone else.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Here's a vote for a new place, old recipe. Try Sorella on the corner of Main/Pratt downtown Hartford. Very different if you've never tried authentic Neapolitan Pizza. It's takes 90 seconds to cook in and 750 degree oven. They are owned by Dish. Tasty & fresh. They follow Italian pizza law. Look it up, there is one. Certain flour, tomatoes, thickness, mozz. Give it a try. It's not Greek, it's not New Haven. It is good.

Reaction Score
I liked Santarpio's when I lived up there but I was on the South Shore and my standbys were classic woodfired Neopolitan from X/O (since closed) and the Alumni, which, like Colony Stamford, is a townie bar with a cheap bar pie that is definitely not "classic" in any way, shape or form, but is it's own uniquely delicious thing (and to be clear, it's not Colony pie, more a pan pizza). If you're in Quincy, find it and try it.

About once every five years I get a jones for a Greek pizza. So I go to Hope Street or Post Corner. And then I wonder why I was jonesing for it in the first place.

Santarpias was good but tough to get to if not in East Boston.

Regina's in the North End is very good.

So was Upper Crust in Back Bay.

But overall Boston pizza is not great.

P.S. Hidden spot in Boston North End (Hanover Street) is open for lunch only ---- Galleria Umbertos. Great slices, awesome arancinis, calzones.....very cheap. Awesome. Worth the wait in line.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Santarpias was good but tough to get to if not in a East Boston.

P.S. Hidden spot in Boston North End is open for lunch only ---- Galleria Umbertos. Great slices, awesome arancini...very cheap. Awesome. Worth the wait in line.

Forget what I said about Alumni. Turns out they closed last August. So I deleted my post.

Reaction Score
Santarpias was good but tough to get to if not in East Boston.

P.S. Hidden spot in Boston North End (Hanover Street) is open for lunch only ---- Galleria Umbertos. Great slices, awesome arancinis, calzones.....very cheap. Awesome. Worth the wait in line.

Is the Upper Crust chain still around in Boston? When I left, the District Attorney found out that Upper Management was taking the crust and everything else from employee's pay and got hammered. I thought they were going bankrupt.

I used to get Sal's a lot in the northern suburbs. Pizza was OK; but, their pies were HUGE.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OK - one more time. Sally's by a mile.
When was the last time you were there? I can't find anyone who has been there in the past few years who has a good word about the place in any respect, including the quality of the product. By all reports and appearances the place is surviving solely on reputation, which is dwindling along with the crowd.

Reaction Score
Is the Upper Crust chain still around in Boston? When I left, the District Attorney found out that Upper Management was taking the crust and everything else from employee's pay and got hammered. I thought they were going bankrupt.

I used to get Sal's a lot in the northern suburbs. Pizza was OK; but, their pies were HUGE.

Not sure about the Upper Crust...I moved out in 2002 so could be gone. Was very good though.

Reaction Score
Upper Crust is definitely still around. It's good, but there are much better places around.

My favorite place in CT in the 90s was a little divey joint called Frank & Lin's in Rockville. They closed down probably close to 10 years ago.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If we're going back in time then Verdolini's in Meriden should be in the top 3...

Reaction Score
When was the last time you were there? I can't find anyone who has been there in the past few years who has a good word about the place in any respect, including the quality of the product. By all reports and appearances the place is surviving solely on reputation, which is dwindling along with the crowd.

The pizza at Sally's hasn't changed in the 30+ years I've been going there and it's far and away the best I've ever had--and I have tried pizza all over the country.
Most of the complaints I've heard involve the rudeness of the staff and the way they will let their friends/regular customers cut the line--never the quality, which most admit is amazing. If you haven't already, give it a try.

Reaction Score
You can do better with Marblehead joints Tony's, Vesuvius or Romano's Sicilian ....Italian's beat the Greeks every time!

I love, love, love Marblehead House.The Greeks rule. My daughters are "The Property Twins" there and they always make sure all their real estate clients get to sample some Marblehead House. It always seals the deal. :)

Reaction Score
The pizza at Sally's hasn't changed in the 30+ years I've been going there and it's far and away the best I've ever had--and I have tried pizza all over the country.
Most of the complaints I've heard involve the rudeness of the staff and the way they will let their friends/regular customers cut the line--never the quality, which most admit is amazing. If you haven't already, give it a try.

I tried it a couple weeks ago and, based on the rep, expected to be blown away. It was mediocre. I get better pizza delivered to my office in Los Angeles.

Reaction Score

There's a place called Armando's toward fresh pond in cambridge that used to be really good, it's around Concord and Huron. I used to live on their pies and calzones in law school. My judgment could have been impaired though.

Reaction Score
Has anyone tried Two Boot's in Bridgeport? Its pretty good, actually real good. They are out of the City, but opened up in CT a couple of years ago. I recommend to at least try it, no one I've taken ever complained or wish they went to Pepi's or Modern.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I tried it a couple weeks ago and, based on the rep, expected to be blown away. It was mediocre. I get better pizza delivered to my office in Los Angeles.

I was particularly interested about your saying that you could get right in to Sally's while there was a line at Pepe's. Maybe just an anomaly or maybe their BS is taking a toll. In any case, I've never been to a place that was so good it made up for rude or lousy service. Or telling you how to eat something. Louis Lunch.

Reaction Score
Sally's is and always will be my favorite. The people aren't the nicest but I think its way better than pepe's.

Reaction Score
White clam pizza at Pepe's, only in New Haven, followed by a walk over to Libby's for lemon ice in a push cup and a cannoli for the ride home. Been the same routine for 30 years. I will never, ever set foot in a Pepe's not on Wooster Street!

Reaction Score
White clam pizza at Pepe's, only in New Haven, followed by a walk over to Libby's for lemon ice in a push cup and a cannoli for the ride home. Been the same routine for 30 years. I will never, ever set foot in a Pepe's not on Wooster Street!

Now see, I find Pepe's white clam to be terrible. But Sally's is fantastic.

And by the way, when I refer to Pepe's, it's Wooster St. It's all about the aging of the oven. You can't replicate that.

Yes, the service at Sally's sucks. BFD. What kind of snob cares about whether the waitress is friendly? Give me good food/bad service over lousy food/good service any day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom