OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 25 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
whoever recommended Stretch's in Newington, good job. had it for lunch Sat and it was awesome. right up there with the other favorites I mentioned.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Has anyone tried Brixx in Southington? Thinking about getting fat tonight..

Reaction Score
I'm happy I made the top 50. 34 is Ray's number, it's all good from here. Enjoy the good za we do have in this area.

Reaction Score
Just got back to AZ from Ct
Three Pepe's trips in three weeks.
Danbury twice ,New Haven once.
Actually my wife liked the fresh tomato summer pie better in Danbury better.
She also wanted to ship a case of Foxen's white birch home.
Sorry to hear about Sally's but I was never a zealot.
I will have to be content with Grimaldi's until Sept.

Reaction Score
Not thin crust, but I grew up with Tommy's Pizza in Middletown. My grandparents ordered it all the time when I was over as a little kid and its still one of my favorites. Not the best in CT by any means, but still a damn good pizza IMO.

For best overall in CT I vote Modern's Italian Bomb with Pepe's White Clam a close second.

Also have to try Krust on main street in Middletown. Relatively new place with excellent reviews.

Reaction Score
Not thin crust, but I grew up with Tommy's Pizza in Middletown. My grandparents ordered it all the time when I was over as a little kid and its still one of my favorites. Not the best in CT by any means, but still a damn good pizza IMO.

For best overall in CT I vote Modern's Italian Bomb with Pepe's White Clam a close second.

Also have to try Krust on main street in Middletown. Relatively new place with excellent reviews.

Tommy's was right there for our baseball and hoops teams demo Middlesex CC………..went there quite a few times

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wow!
As an Italian American and native New Havener, let me clear up some ignorance. Good apizza (the real name) in CT previously began and ended in New Haven. Over the decades it has spread pretty well into the rest of the state. But New Haven and the big 3 are still at the pinnacle. Pepe's, Sally's and Modern. Formerly Bimonte was up there too. Know why? Peppe And Sally both have Bimonte blood and they are all related. I think Pepe's is best and so does the recent review of the top 100 pizza's in the US. (Sally's & Modern were like #7 & #14 but not sure of the order. Nothing else in CT was in the top 20)

Now, if your pizza comes in squares or has an adjective before it (e.g. Greek-, deep dish, artisan) it is not pizza. You may like it. But you're wrong. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just disqualifies you from this conversation. Like if you said Tyler Olander was the most talented big on UCONN's team last year.
I am proud to have grown up and lived in areas where a Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, etc was never able to stay in business.

Reaction Score
Finally was able to try modern today and it's made me a believer. I would definitely slide it ahead of Pepe's and right behind stanziato's in terms of best pizzas in the state.

Reaction Score
Wow!
As an Italian American and native New Havener, let me clear up some ignorance. Good apizza (the real name) in CT previously began and ended in New Haven. Over the decades it has spread pretty well into the rest of the state. But New Haven and the big 3 are still at the pinnacle. Pepe's, Sally's and Modern. Formerly Bimonte was up there too. Know why? Peppe And Sally both have Bimonte blood and they are all related. I think Pepe's is best and so does the recent review of the top 100 pizza's in the US. (Sally's & Modern were like #7 & #14 but not sure of the order. Nothing else in CT was in the top 20)

Now, if your pizza comes in squares or has an adjective before it (e.g. Greek-, deep dish, artisan) it is not pizza. You may like it. But you're wrong. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just disqualifies you from this conversation. Like if you said Tyler Olander was the most talented big on UCONN's team last year.
I am proud to have grown up and lived in areas where a Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, etc was never able to stay in business.

Bimonte's in Hamden was very good you are correct……..now I had Little Rendezvous in Meriden a few weeks back when visiting family and the new owner has a good idea of how to make pizza, it's very good and Sal's in Meriden is owned by a family who I have heard worked at Pepe's at some point…………while not Modern these 2 are better than the Pepe's "newer franchises" which are not to be thought of in the same breath as New Haven's……...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Bimonte's in Hamden was very good you are correct……..now I had Little Rendezvous in Meriden a few weeks back when visiting family and the new owner has a good idea of how to make pizza, it's very good and Sal's in Meriden is owned by a family who I have heard worked at Pepe's at some point…………while not Modern these 2 are better than the Pepe's "newer franchises" which are not to be thought of in the same breath as New Haven's……...
100% agree. Usually go to Rendezvous a couple times a month. Really picked up once Paul retired - but back in the 90's when Paul was making pizzas in his prime, Rendezvous was top 5 in the state.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At this point I think the more interesting conversation is the best non-New Haven apizza in CT (in terms of location, not style). IMO Pepe's, Sally's, Modern and BAR are on Mount Rushmore. Most people have their own preferences among them and no one is likely to change their mind.

I've always loved hearing and exploring the preferences for New Haven style apizza that's almost there, and that's where I've historically placed the likes of Bimonte, Grand Apizza, Zuppardi's, Palm Beach, Tolli's, Roseland and a few others.

Now there is a new generation of smaller, wood-fired pizza places like Bufalina in Guilford, Otto in Chester, Krust in Middletown and Da Legna in New Haven. These are my new faves. They make only small pies and usually have some very interesting and unusual toppings, along with the traditional favorites. I like them better than the almost there places, and in some cases--like Bufalina--I like them every bit as much as the New Haven holy trinity-plus one. I'm interested to hear about more of these types of places.

Reaction Score
After going through this thread yesterday I was really in the mood for pizza so I ended going to Krust with my buddy for dinner. I am happy to confirm as 8893 said that it is VERY good! Love the wood fired taste and smell. Got the meat pizza with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, and roasted peppers. A bit pricey ($16 for a 14" pie), but worth it IMO.

9/10

Curiouser
Reaction Score
After going through this thread yesterday I was really in the mood for pizza so I ended going to Krust with my buddy for dinner. I am happy to confirm as 8893 said that it is VERY good! Love the wood fired taste and smell. Got the meat pizza with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, and roasted peppers. A bit pricey ($16 for a 14" pie), but worth it IMO.

9/10
Glad you liked it. They have some nice sides too iirc, and a few very nice beers on tap.

I'm feeling pizza in my future tonight. Been mostly gluten-free for the past month and I've got a fever for some pizza right about now, but tonight is likely to be from my grill at home rather than out at a restaurant. Weber makes a pizza stone for the grill that I get pretty good results with, but you've gotta watch the heat after the first pie because the stone really retains it and the bottom of the pie will burn before the top gets cooked sufficiently for my tastes. I use tons of corn meal and lower the heat after the first pie.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Joey D's makes a surprisingly good pie (and meatball subs) out in Morris Cove. Tiny little place, but they clearly understand New Haven style pies...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Grew up in East Haven and Tolli's was my local favorite. Not sure it is the same anymore. The building has certainly become unique. It used to be when you left New Haven and the towns immediately surrounding it, pizza was lousy (like when I went to UCONN) but that has really changed. You can get pretty good pizza in most places these days. I think pizza has become such a big part of our economy, people had to learn to improve.
But pizza snob that I am, I readily admit that the quality of pizza outside of New Haven has gotten much better. Although some people still seem happy with sauce on bread stuff that some places still serve

Reaction Score
Grew up in East Haven and Tolli's was my local favorite. Not sure it is the same anymore. The building has certainly become unique. It used to be when you left New Haven and the towns immediately surrounding it, pizza was lousy (like when I went to UCONN) but that has really changed. You can get pretty good pizza in most places these days. I think pizza has become such a big part of our economy, people had to learn to improve.
But pizza snob that I am, I readily admit that the quality of pizza outside of New Haven has gotten much better. Although some people still seem happy with sauce on bread stuff that some places still serve

David I went out with a girl who was from North Haven but moved to East Haven so we ventured out to many pizza places for a few years…….what was the one somewhere near the East Haven/North Branford line years ago I'm thinking "Jerry's" or something……….it was up there with the good pies of the area. I think there was an Angelo's in North Haven that stacked up well too right near the Washington St exit for 91……….

C

Chief00

Best pizza I have had in awhile is Vetranos in Westerly, RI - a couple miles over the CT line (so it could be CT takeout pizza). I had a meatball, peppers and onions pizza - excellent. Non pizza part of menu is good too.

Reaction Score
At this point I think the more interesting conversation is the best non-New Haven apizza in CT (in terms of location, not style). IMO Pepe's, Sally's, Modern and BAR are on Mount Rushmore. Most people have their own preferences among them and no one is likely to change their mind.

I've always loved hearing and exploring the preferences for New Haven style apizza that's almost there, and that's where I've historically placed the likes of Bimonte, Grand Apizza, Zuppardi's, Palm Beach, Tolli's, Roseland and a few others.

Now there is a new generation of smaller, wood-fired pizza places like Bufalina in Guilford, Otto in Chester, Krust in Middletown and Da Legna in New Haven. These are my new faves. They make only small pies and usually have some very interesting and unusual toppings, along with the traditional favorites. I like them better than the almost there places, and in some cases--like Bufalina--I like them every bit as much as the New Haven holy trinity-plus one. I'm interested to hear about more of these types of places.

Rossini's, rossini's, rossini's (in Cheshire ). I would put their best pie ahead of the New Haven three. There, I said it.

Reaction Score
Wow!

I liked this post because Ive never heard of Bimonte's, and we share similar taste, but I must say, this post took pizza snobbery to a level I didnt know existed.

Reaction Score
Glad you liked it. They have some nice sides too iirc, and a few very nice beers on tap.

I'm feeling pizza in my future tonight. Been mostly gluten-free for the past month and I've got a fever for some pizza right about now, but tonight is likely to be from my grill at home rather than out at a restaurant. Weber makes a pizza stone for the grill that I get pretty good results with, but you've gotta watch the heat after the first pie because the stone really retains it and the bottom of the pie will burn before the top gets cooked sufficiently for my tastes. I use tons of corn meal and lower the heat after the first pie.

Been there, trial and error, but have been making pies on the grill for years and the way I do it works great...For the best pizza on the grill you need the 600 or 700 degree heat inside a gas grill with the grill lid closed or it won't cook right, but as you correctly stated with the burner flame being directly under the stone the bottom of the pie will be charcoal black before the cheese/toppings on top is done. Two things you need to do to get that corrected and the direct heat from the burners deflected and reflected away from the bottom of the stone ...#1) aluminum foil....#2) a 2nd pizza stone. First lay down a sheet of aluminum foil directly on the area of the grill grate (and ONLY on the area of the grill grate that the stone covers) that pizza stone #1 will cover. Next, get a 2nd pizza stone that preferably has legs (some do have short stubby ceramic legs) and put it directly on top of the first stone. What's important here is an inch or so of air space between the two stones. The foil on the very bottom will reflect the direct radiant heat off the bottom stone and the air space between the two stones will act to somewhat insulate the top stone from getting too hot. This set up also helps convective heat transfer up the front, back and sides of the grate that isn't covered by anything and into the top of the grill hood which is over the cheese and toppings. For pizzas to come out right you need fast cooking times (10 minutes) with high heat (700 degrees), lowering the heat (and lengthening the cooking time) to keep the bottom from turning to charcoal will only give you a soggy, doughy pie that will taste like a toasted cheese sandwich. Use the foil and the 2nd stone and you won't have to turn the heat down, your pies will be better than Pepe's...well maybe not.

My favorite pizza place BTW is Zuppardis, the best sausage and mushroom pie in the state IMO, Modern a close 2nd. Have been going to Pepe's for many, many years and it definitely has gone down a notch last 10 years or so. Same thing for Sally's, and not surprised it's for sale.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's pizza.

Dough, tomatoey stuff, cheese, an oven and a cardboard box.

There are only so many ways you can throw that combination together - there's like a five-zillion way tie for 'best pizza joint in the world'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom