OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 24 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The pizza at Sally's hasn't changed in the 30+ years I've been going there and it's far and away the best I've ever had--and I have tried pizza all over the country.
Most of the complaints I've heard involve the rudeness of the staff and the way they will let their friends/regular customers cut the line--never the quality, which most admit is amazing. If you haven't already, give it a try.
I've had it plenty in years past (yes, I had access to the "private line" for a while, too). At the time I thought it was the best quality pizza of the lot (especially tomato basil or garden vegetable in season) with the best crust. Without that access, and living and working in and around New Haven for some 20 years now, I never thought it was worth the hassle of waiting in line; I rarely do anywhere. I usually get take out, and that is just an impossibility at Sally's. That's why I go with Modern 90% of the time or so.

I do get to Pepe's a few times a year because some visitor will want to try it. It has remained consistently excellent imo.

I just haven't been back to Sally's in at least ten years and I am legitimately curious about what the hell has happened because I hear nothing but bad reports from others (including about the quality and cleanliness), and I know from direct observation that they are doing a small fraction of the business that they used to do.

There's got to be more to it than the same ol' same ol' for the past 30+ years. Why would that cause the crowds to leave now?

Reaction Score
Yes, the service at Sally's sucks. BFD. What kind of snob cares about whether the waitress is friendly? Give me good food/bad service over lousy food/good service any day.

My experience was crappy food and crappy service.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sally's is and always will be my favorite. The people aren't the nicest but I think its way better than pepe's.
That kinda counts for something. The only place I will ever accept rude service is at "Richard's"Last Resort, but that is their schtick. I cannot reward unintentional douchiness with my patronage.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The BEST ever…….nothing like the Spooker back int he day at Verdolini's……..the Mazzeralla's were excellent people too…….the flood killed Meriden pizza for a long time after that………good call,, my favorite ever CT…...
100% spot on mau.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
8893 said:
When was the last time you were there? I can't find anyone who has been there in the past few years who has a good word about the place in any respect, including the quality of the product. By all reports and appearances the place is surviving solely on reputation, which is dwindling along with the crowd.

I've been there in the last 6 months. And minimum twice a year over the last 5. It was really good, but not up to the snuff I was used to from them in the last 30 years of going. I think when Flo died they lost some steam. And yeah, the crowds have dwindled. I waited 5 hours there once in the 90's ( out of town relatives had to try it) . Sally's used to be much longer wait than pepes. Not anymore.

Reaction Score
100% spot on mau.

Actually the sauce was so damn good and the crust had such a nice crispy char to it, once in a while a plain pizza - red sauce only with sprinkled fresh parmesan cheese was all that was needed at Verdolini's………man I miss it!! LOL

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
New park pizza was/is my all time favorite pizza… dunno if its the same owners or pizza style but

Reaction Score
There's a place called Armando's toward fresh pond in cambridge that used to be really good, it's around Concord and Huron. I used to live on their pies and calzones in law school. My judgment could have been impaired though.

I lives in East Arlington at one time. Never went their; but, did get take-out pizza from My Brother's in Arlington and then sometimes drive over to Davis Square for Mike's calzones, which are about the size of a human leg.

Reaction Score
Rossini's in East Hampton. Pizzeria Da Vinci in Colbalt, Giovanni's in Glastonbury, and Fireside in Gales Ferry are all excellent. Pepe's has regressed since they started to expand.

All that said, it is true that pizza is like se><. Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good and pizza of any sort is better than the "best" American Chinese food, which by my definition can only achieve the rank of average.

You must be from my general "hood". Da Vinci's is very good, though sometimes a lil salty. A friend runs it & he's a great guy (despite is Sox tendencies). ;) Try the Tomato Basil pizza but add bacon, or the "vegetarian-unvegetarian" as they call it! Rossini's are ok. While thin crust, it falls apart too easily. Hit or miss for pizza. I grew up down by New Haven, so it's difficult to find good pizza in these parts. And Chinese food is horrible here! Ugh

For anyone in southeast CT....check out Pizza Cucina in East Lyme. It is great

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. I spend a lot of time in Niantic in the summer months. All other pizza places are bad. If you spend time down there, hopefully you've hit The Shack for breakfast & the Flander's Fish for at least Sunday brunch. Both very good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been there in the last 6 months. And minimum twice a year over the last 5. It was really good, but not up to the snuff I was used to from them in the last 30 years of going. I think when Flo died they lost some steam. And yeah, the crowds have dwindled. I waited 5 hours there once in the 90's ( out of town relatives had to try it) . Sally's used to be much longer wait than pepes. Not anymore.
Thanks. I've been thinking that I should look at the lack of a crowd as an opportunity to go back there without the hassle, and I should. I just wanted to know that it's not rancid. If it even comes close to its former quality it will have been worth the stop. Unlike Pepe's, I fear we may live to see a day when there is no Sally's, and I should at least have some idea of what it's like now.

August_West

Reaction Score
8893 said:
I've had it plenty in years past (yes, I had access to the "private line" for a while, too). At the time I thought it was the best quality pizza of the lot (especially tomato basil

See now you set me on a pizza jones. Was dropping daughter off at dance class and ended up next door with one of these in front of me . ( daVinci's in killingworth, decent but it ain't new haven)
Tomato basil
G8Hiwzy.jpg

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You must be from my general "hood". Da Vinci's is very good, though sometimes a lil salty. A friend runs it & he's a great guy (despite is Sox tendencies). Try the Tomato Basil pizza but add bacon, or the "vegetarian-unvegetarian" as they call it! Rossini's are ok. While thin crust, it falls apart too easily. Hit or miss for pizza. I grew up down by New Haven, so it's difficult to find good pizza in these parts. And Chinese food is horrible here! Ugh.

Actually, I live there now. I'm from central Mass. My wife and I prefer Rossini's but I certainly understand the fall apart issue. 2 pieces of advice to firm up the crust: If your gonna eat the pie in one sitting (I.e. sharing it with 4 or more), order it crispy. If you are ordering out or plan to take some home, order it normal and throw it in a preheated toaster oven (convection works best) at 400 for about 5 minutes.

FYI, Divinci's moved to the drive in summer shack next door and a steamed cheeseburger joint opened in the old Divinci's space.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
See now you set me on a pizza jones. Was dropping daughter off at dance class and ended up next door with one of these in front of me . ( daVinci's in killingworth, decent but it ain't new haven)
Tomato basil
G8Hiwzy.jpg
I've been there a few times and had their pie several dozen more, although it's been a few months. We got take out there often when they first opened, but it's just slipped off the radar for a little while. Yep, decent pie, nice flavor; not New Haven. I'm a Gassosa guy, but one of my daughters (who took dance at that same spot many years ago) likes the White Birch.

The only place that doesn't make me miss New Haven is Bufalina in Guilford. If you haven't been there, you should make a reservation and check it out. It's my favorite eat-in pizza right now, period. BYOB too, which is nice. Kids love it, too (especially the Nutella pizza).

Reaction Score
Actually, I live there now. I'm from central Mass. My wife and I prefer Rossini's but I certainly understand the fall apart issue. 2 pieces of advice to firm up the crust: If your gonna eat the pie in one sitting (I.e. sharing it with 4 or more), order it crispy. If you are ordering out or plan to take some home, order it normal and throw it in a preheated toaster oven (convection works best) at 400 for about 5 minutes.

FYI, Divinci's moved to the drive in summer shack next door and a steamed cheeseburger joint opened in the old Divinci's space.

Welcome to the area. Rossini's is very close to me and I have their take out & Da Vinci's on many a Friday evening. I know all about Da Vinci's big move & renovation next door. It's much nicer than before plus they just improved the front patio area too. At last check, the steamed cheeseburger wasn't open yet, but if it has I'll check it out. It's a chain from their main location in Meriden where they are quite popular, along with Ted's. Steamed cheeseburgers are kinda an icon in this area.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. I spend a lot of time in Niantic in the summer months. All other pizza places are bad. If you spend time down there, hopefully you've hit The Shack for breakfast & the Flander's Fish for at least Sunday brunch. Both very good.

Born and raised in EL and parents still there so there semi regularly. The Shack and Flanders Fish Market are both great. The Shack has been around forever.

Cucina is off the charts great pizza. It is located near Flanders Fish Market. Not as good as Cucinas but solid pizza in Niantic is Rays next to the Morten House. Rest down there pizza wise is not so good after Vinnys Pizza Haven, which was real good, went out a bunch of years ago...

Reaction Score
Born and raised in EL and parents still there so there semi regularly. The Shack and Flanders Fish Market are both great. The Shack has been around forever.

Cucina is off the charts great pizza. It is located near Flanders Fish Market. Not as good as Cucinas but solid pizza in Niantic is Rays next to the Morten House. Rest down there pizza wise is not so good after Vinnys Pizza Haven, which was real good, went out a bunch of years ago...

I spent all my summers there as a kid, my parents still have their place there for the summers & have lots of family there. I love that town. I still think of The Shack as the Little Brown Shack. Gramma used to bring the kids there back in the day! LOL I think I remember Vinny's. Near where S&S is now? I remember Bocchi's as a kid... If you're old enough! I've not tried Ray's either.

Reaction Score
I spent all my summers there as a kid, my parents still have their place there for the summers & have lots of family there. I love that town. I still think of The Shack as the Little Brown Shack. Gramma used to bring the kids there back in the day! LOL I think I remember Vinny's. Near where S&S is now? I remember Bocchi's as a kid... If you're old enough! I've not tried Ray's either.

You a Black Pointer?.....we likely attended the same keg parties in early 80s depending on your age. I graduated ELHS in 84.

Yes Vinnys was there...it is some new pizza place now that is called something else and mediocre. Bocchis was decent. Check out Rays...pretty good. But Cucinas is a must...it is great. And go to the Eclectic Chef next to the movies for great grinders...

Reaction Score
You a Black Pointer?.....we likely attended the same keg parties in early 80s depending on your age. I graduated ELHS in 84.

Yes Vinnys was there...it is some new pizza place now that is called something else and mediocre. Bocchis was decent. Check out Rays...pretty good. But Cucinas is a must...it is great. And go to the Eclectic Chef next to the movies for great grinders...

LOL - My summers were in Attawan, though I spent a lot of time in Black Point, namely the Black Point Store, playing video games & buying candy. I was only a summer kid & spent the rest of the year elsewhere. You got me beat in age by a few years. If you were from Black Point, I probably passed you by at some point.

PS - There's a branch of Hartford Giant Grinder on the corner of Pennsylvania & Hope. Very good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've got a new one to add to the list: Otto in Chester.

Heard about it recently and it was compared favorably to Bufalina in Guilford, which we love. Both are small and serve only small pies from wood-fired ovens, and both have an excellent, fresh seasonal salad to complement the pies. Whereas Bufalina is BYOB (which we really love), Otto has a pretty varied wine list of interesting Italian whites, reds, rosés and sparklers, and a few decent bottled beers (also Avery sodas).

Went to Otto tonight.

For starters, it was a great early evening to be in Chester, thanks in part I believe to our own August West and his band, who could be heard perfectly, rolling up the Pattaconk River while we waited outside for our table on a beautiful night. That "Eyes of the World" killed! I could have waited forever while listening to that, but shortly after you went into "Shakedown Street" our table was ready. I think that was the end of show if I'm not mistaken though. Looked like a great crowd.

Anyway, we got four pizzas for five of us and it was exactly one pie too many, which meant it was perfect because we have leftovers.

The shaved fennel salad was insanely good. I will get that every time.

The margherita with liuzzi mozzarella, stracciatella and basil was probably the most popular and favorite for a few.

The porchetta, smoked mozzarella and wood-grilled asparagus was the favorite of our oldest daughter. I believe she had five or six pieces. I loved it also; my wife liked it but found it too rich/smoky after a few bites.

The soeltl farm pork ragù, mystic melville cheese and must ard greens pie had a nice little spice to it, with a great combination of bitter from the greens and sweet/spicy sauce and creamy cheese.

The simple cheese (half) was the least impressive, but good; the pepperoni (half) was excellent.

I think it is very different from Bufalina, which seems more like traditional apizza done extraordinarily well. This is a bit less traditional in terms of toppings, but that margherita killed it every bit as much as that "Eyes of the World." The other specialty pies were done really well, but more in the contemporary gourmet pie realm than traditional imo.

I give the edge to Bufalina overall for my tastes (and the BYOB!), but we will definitely be back to Otto, too.

Especially with the incredible sighting of a full, bright, double rainbow over the town as we left while the fringe of a storm must have glanced the area.

Great night. Definitely a good place to check out.

So...August, you been there? Where you by any chance wearing an olive green jacket? I thought I might have seen you standing out front as we drove by on our way home.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
8893 said:
I've got a new one to add to the list: Otto in Chester. Heard about it recently and it was compared favorably to Bufalina in Guilford, which we love. Both are small and serve only small pies from wood-fired ovens, and both have an excellent, fresh seasonal salad to complement the pies. Whereas Bufalina is BYOB (which we really love), Otto has a pretty varied wine list of interesting Italian whites, reds, rosés and sparklers, and a few decent bottled beers (also Avery sodas). Went to Otto tonight. For starters, it was a great early evening to be in Chester, thanks in part I believe to our own August West and his band, who could be heard perfectly, rolling up the Pattaconk River while we waited outside for our table on a beautiful night. That "Eyes of the World" killed! I could have waited forever while listening to that, but shortly after you went into "Shakedown Street" our table was ready. I think that was the end of show if I'm not mistaken though. Looked like a great crowd. Anyway, we got four pizzas for five of us and it was exactly one pie too many, which meant it was perfect because we have leftovers. The shaved fennel salad was insanely good. I will get that every time. The margherita with liuzzi mozzarella, stracciatella and basil was probably the most popular and favorite for a few. The porchetta, smoked mozzarella and wood-grilled asparagus was the favorite of our oldest daughter. I believe she had five or six pieces. I loved it also; my wife liked it but found it too rich/smoky after a few bites. The soeltl farm pork ragù, mystic melville cheese and must ard greens pie had a nice little spice to it, with a great combination of bitter from the greens and sweet/spicy sauce and creamy cheese. The simple cheese (half) was the least impressive, but good; the pepperoni (half) was excellent. I think it is very different from Bufalina, which seems more like traditional apizza done extraordinarily well. This is a bit less traditional in terms of toppings, but that margherita killed it every bit as much as that "Eyes of the World." The other specialty pies were done really well, but more in the contemporary gourmet pie realm than traditional imo. I give the edge to Bufalina overall for my tastes (and the BYOB!), but we will definitely be back to Otto, too. Especially with the incredible sighting of a full, bright, double rainbow over the town as we left while the fringe of a storm must have glanced the area. Great night. Definitely a good place to check out. So...August, you been there? Where you by any chance wearing an olive green jacket? I thought I might have seen you standing out front as we drove by on our way home.
Hahaha......yeah man considering I just left Otto I would agree, been killing that place lately. And yeah, I was wearing olive today. Thanks for the kind words, you shoulda said hi! Good afternoon. I don't play many Sunday afternoons, that's usually a death slot, and to get a good turnout 1.5 miles from my house ( I never play close to home either, like ever) was pretty cool. Double rainbow you mentioned as I was loading out.
lbn7dYl.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hahaha.yeah man considering I just left Otto I would agree, been killing that place lately. And yeah, I was wearing olive today. Thanks for the kind words, you shoulda said hi! Good afternoon. I don't play many Sunday afternoons, that's usually a death slot, and to get a good turnout 1.5 miles from my house ( I never play close to home either, like ever) was pretty cool. Double rainbow you mentioned as I was loading out.
lbn7dYl.jpg
Too funny. We took a bunch of pics and some video, too.

I had no idea anything was happening in town--we just heard about Otto and wanted to give it a try. As soon as we pulled down Main St. we saw the crowd from the Pattaconk spilling into the street and we could hear the music everywhere. Once we parked and got out of the car I realized what song it was, and I knew that it was being played so well and true to form that it could only be one of a few bands, including yours. My wife checked her iPhone for the Pattaconk schedule and sure enough I saw it was. It really sounded great, and it was such an idyllic setting at that time of day. I would have said hi, but we were literally driving by and I just caught a glimpse; I think you were actually staring at the rainbow at the time, but we didn't realize it was there for another minute or so.

I hadn't seen or heard Shakedown in many years. I'll try to make a point to catch you guys some time soon and I will say hello.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom