Best dive bars in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best dive bars in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sporty's in Wallingford, closed a few years ago.

How about Lenny's, Dudley's or the Corner Cafe???

And how can we forget The Brookside in Meriden where you had Ted's steamed burgers waiting for you at 2am?

Reaction Score
Bar Rescue started filming at Handle Bars in Pawcatuck. Look forward to see what happens to this dive bar.

Reaction Score
We went to that last year, it was on the Guy Fieri show. Total bust. Food avg at best, service terrible. Ok spot, but overrated.

All the more surprising for being in Southport . . .

Westport's floating Black Duck probably also qualifies in the Fairfield county Godl Coast category.

And yes, as mentioned elsewhere, Rudy's and Ron's Place long ago in New Haven w/Owl's Nest & Westside still active.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Sidestreet in Hamden.

THIS. Love that place.

Used to live a stone's throw from Bill's Crossroads on the Fairfield/Bpt line, never went in.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
LaMonico's on Rt 6 in Bristol - the bar area - not the restaurant. Walked into the bar with a friend 25 years ago, took one look around and told him this is the kind of place where men come to die.

Reaction Score
LaMonico's on Rt 6 in Bristol - the bar area - not the restaurant. Walked into the bar with a friend 25 years ago, took one look around and told him this is the kind of place where men come to die.

That's the place that looks like a Harley Davidson dealership outside?

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
That's the place that looks like a Harley Davidson dealership outside?

LaMonico's was located at the corner of Farmington Ave. (Rt 6) and Mix St. I believe there's a CVS there now. Back in the day there was a biker hangout located across on Rt 6 called Bonnie's, which could have also qualified as a dive.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The worse bar ever was the Brass Guitar in Bridgeport. It was so bad that when they closed they bulldozed the place afterwards

Reaction Score
Ted's was the best dive in the history of dives. Only beer, nobody dressed up, great tunes on the jukebox.

Reaction Score
It's the Dutch Tavern. Great spot. Family favorite for us. Great burgers, very good chili, nice Guinness pour and cool pinball machine. One of the oldest buildings in New London because that little block was one of very few areas that did not get burned to the ground during the American Revolution. IIRC O'Neil is said to have hung out occasionally in whatever establishment was there at the time he was around, but I don't believe it was the Dutch Tavern then.

The present owner, Peter, was in the legendary regional band the Reducers. Very good guy.

While the legal name is currently 'Dutch Tavern', everyone in NL for 60 years has called it 'Dutch's'. Along with stories, I have a great pix of my grandfather and Eugene there.

Lead singer and guitar player of Reducers, Peter Dietmold, owns it and operates it with his long time girlfriend Martha Cohn. As you may also know, the Ruducers' bass player passed at about the same time (Oct '12) as NL's legendary blues singer Karl Kelley. The Reducers are still kicking ass.

Reaction Score
3 pages in and no one mentions Huskies or Teds? Really?
"It'd be unfair to include UConn on this list because they are professionals and everyone else are amateurs." Playboy when ranking their party schools a few years ago.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The worse bar ever was the Brass Guitar in Bridgeport. It was so bad that when they closed they bulldozed the place afterwards

I never made it to that place. Even so I'm not sure it was the worst bar in CT with Brass in the name. I nominate the Brass Hammer in Manchester. What a dump. Luckily for locals it morphed into The Hungrey Tiger.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I never made it to that place. Even so I'm not sure it was the worst bar in CT with Brass in the name. I nominate the Brass Hammer in Manchester. What a dump. Luckily for locals it morphed into The Hungrey Tiger.

I went in my younger days and my gosh it was horrible. I will say drinking out of the bottle was highly recommended instead of drinking out of the glasses. Just was such a bad place in a very bad area of Bridgeport which made it that much worse. I went there one time and one time was more than enough

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Buffalo Wild Wings.

That place has an edge to it.

All the people who work there wear these black shirts like they're in a gang or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom