Best dive bars in CT | The Boneyard

Best dive bars in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone find it a little fascinating to go to old hitty bars. List some dive bars in CT.

Hassian Lion in Avon, great place to play pool on the old tables, it used to be a strip club back in the day

Rice Fields in Canton- the type of place you go to after you get into a fight with your wife

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
all of shelton minus draft house... bar none-derby, orange ale house,

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I think the Hessian Lion is closed. At least is looked that way when I drove by recently.

When I used to work in Simsbury, it was known as 10 Easy Main and definitely fit the requirements of a dive bar. On the positive side, it wasn't trying to be something it wasn't.

It's life as a strip club was before my time. I can't quite imagine that considering the rest of the neighborhood, especially the church less than 100 yards away.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This thread makes me miss Melfi's in Stamford (Springdale).

I'm sure there are a ton of contenders in the HV, but can't say I've ever been to any. Probably the most divey places I've been in outside Stamford were fraternal orders of some animal.

However, when I lived up Boston way, you could reliably count on anyplace named Sully's to be pure shot & beer, regulars get their mail delivered there kind of place.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Avon dive bars aren't really like Dive bars in cities like Torrington (Dawn's Getaway), Enfield or Vernon. Is Michael's in East Hartford still around? These bars make Hartford's "The Fed: and "Mad Dawgs: come on like upscale joints

One of my old favorites: Diggers in Enfield, CT. What a night :)

Thompsonville Drug Sweep Targets 30
ENFIELD — More than 30 suspected drug dealers were expected to be arrested Friday night and into this morning -- the culmination of four months of investigation by state and local police.

pixel.gif

The sweep included a late-night raid at Diggers, a popular cafe in the middle of Thomsponville, Enfield's most troubled neighborhood, as well as arrests of people at their homes.

The police had gathered enough evidence to apply for 50 arrest warrants for 36 people, most from Enfield.

The most high-profile part of the sweep occurred shortly after 10 p.m., when a stream of about 20 marked and unmarked police cars turned down Pearl Street and onto High Street -- the center of Thomsponville. Dozens of officers got out and walked down High Street.

The officers stormed into Diggers, telling patrons to get on the floor and not to move. In a matter of minutes, some of the people inside the bar were being led out in handcuffs and placed in a waiting prisoner transport vehicle.

The scene attracted many curious neighbors. One Thompsonville resident watching the raid unfold from accross High Street screamed, ``It's about damn time!

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Not in Connecticut (right on the border in port chester ny) but everybody from Stamford and Greenwich goes their because it's open till 4.

DAVEY BURNS!!!!

or as my wife likes to call it "The Armpit of America!!!"

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
"Best" dives? Aren't dives supposed to be crappy holes-in-the-wall?

Randall's in West Haven is one of my favorites, because it's dirt cheap. Grew up a 10 minute walk away, and you can get pretty ripped for $~20.

Reaction Score
Does anyone find it a little fascinating to go to old $ ty bars. List some dive bars in CT.

Hassian Lion in Avon, great place to play pool on the old tables, it used to be a strip club back in the day

Rice Fields in Canton- the type of place you go to after you get into a fight with your wife

The Hessian Lion is closed and it was nowhere near one of the best dives in CT. From my area?

Old Town in Old Wethersfield
The Federal in downtown Hartford
The Maple Cafe in the south end of Hartford

And RIP to Szechuan Tokyo in Elmwood. The dumpiest, weirdest, most fun and eclectic spot I've ever set foot in.

Reaction Score
I used to enjoy an unplanned, drunken foray into another dimension at Scarlett O'Hara's in Hartord. I loved that dump once every 60-90 days. Anyone remember it?

Reaction Score
I used to enjoy an unplanned, drunken foray into another dimension at Scarlett O'hara in Hartord. I loved that dump once every 60-90 days. Anyone remember it?

Bras up on the wall? Oh yeah. Great spot.

Reaction Score
until a few years ago, there was a great joint on Rte 6 in Bristol called the Brass Pony Pub...discovered it after a Buffett concert at Lake Compounce back in 1989...I vaguely remember jello shots and cheap beer...

Reaction Score
Village Barn in South Meriden CT..........;)

Would have been Fortes Cafe or the Hanover House if they were not both closed.........

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I used to enjoy an unplanned, drunken foray into another dimension at Scarlett O'hara in Hartord. I loved that dump once every 60-90 days. Anyone remember it?

Scarlett's Qualifies! Like The Fed its one of the few bars that would serve the homeless without shame. No discrimination there! Vaughn's isn't close to the same vibe.

Scarlett's in all it trashy glory

RS9999X

Reaction Score
until a few years ago, there was a great joint on Rte 6 in Bristol called the Brass Pony Pub...discovered it after a Buffett concert at Lake Compounce back in 1989...I vaguely remember jello shots and cheap beer...

The bands that used to play there were unpaid. Typically they knew one song, played it badly and played it all night. "Free Bird" . You would sit there and pray for that plane carrying Skynyrd to crash.

Reaction Score
The Ivoryton Pub!! Yes, it's in Ivoryton. The last time I was there a band was playing, they were all dressed in camo etc... The name of the band was The Jack Officers.... I you not! Anyone heard of them? The bar is a hole in the wall, with a slanted floor so if your not careful, you'll fall on your face heading to the pi$$er after a few.

Reaction Score
The Hessian Lion is closed and it was nowhere near one of the best dives in CT. From my area?

Old Town in Old Wethersfield
The Federal in downtown Hartford
The Maple Cafe in the south end of Hartford

And RIP to Szechuan Tokyo in Elmwood. The dumpiest, weirdest, most fun and eclectic spot I've ever set foot in.

Nothing goes better with Chinese food than cool jazz!

Reaction Score
Scarlett's Qualifies! Like The Fed its one of the few bars that would serve the homeless without shame. No discrimination there! Vaughn's isn't close to the same vibe.

Scarlett's in all it trashy glory

Wasn't Vaughn's above Stackpole and Moore years ago?

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Wasn't Vaughn's above Stackpole and Moore years ago?

Lord Jim's.

Barbare Bush (the young Yalie) came in there with friends one night I was there before taking the skywalk over to the CC. The Blue Suits were the tip off after they told me in short order to

"Move." (pause)
"Bathrooms Closed." (longer pause)
"Leave"

Arnold couldn't deliver those lines any better.

Reaction Score
Dirty Bird in Vernon!
LOL! I've lived in Vernon forever, only been 21+ a few years though and have been to the Free Spirit once. The bouncer had 3 fingers, the cover was 2 dollars. My friend dropped his phone in the urinal and pissed all over it. Never been back.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I would try a place called "Starbucks".

I've never had a drink there, but there are grungy people and napkins and little wooden sticks all over the floor.

It seems pretty gritty.

Have I told you about the two hi-end hookers that live in Hartford 21 and screen their hook ups there and offer the GFE with old guys there after they are done.

Dates with Sugar Daddy!

I can get a couple hours of entertainment hanging around Starbucks on Trumbull Street :)

Reaction Score
This thread offends my delicate sensibilities and should be moved to the cesspool or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom