Best dive bars in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best dive bars in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dutch''s Tavern in NL. No less than Eugene O'Neill hung out there.

I can think of a few major biker bars, too.

Probably any NL Bank St bar, and Groton sailor bar qualifies as well.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
The Beachcomber in Milford. Haven't been there in years but it had zero redeeming qualities. I loved the place.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
In Plainville over 20 years ago, the original Central Cafe, and the Blue Plate. Sportsman's Cafe in Bristol just off route 6 was my introduction to old man bars while in high school, home of the 25 cent PBR draft (in 1979).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Hessian Lion is closed and it was nowhere near one of the best dives in CT. From my area?

Old Town in Old Wethersfield
The Federal in downtown Hartford
The Maple Cafe in the south end of Hartford

Those 3 are all good, The South Green Tavern in East Hartford was great before it closed. Best draft beer in the state.

Reaction Score
Those 3 are all good, The South Green Tavern in East Hartford was great before it closed. Best draft beer in the state.
I was thinking of the South Green Tavern also. Is that the place that had the pickled eggs on the bar?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Windmill in Stratford was my favorite, but now it's another Vazzy's and not the same.

The Redwood in Milford was another great one; haven't been there in years though so I don't know if it is still the same. Same with Stratford Ale House.

I've only been to the Horseshoe in Southport once, but that place certainly seemed to be legit.

Does anyone remember the Bach Dor in Chaplin? I remember some long drives out there from UConn, but somehow have no memory of the rides home. IIRC they had a crazy happy hour deal back in the day.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Any SCSU folks remember THE OWLS NEST?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's the Dutch Tavern. Great spot. Family favorite for us. Great burgers, very good chili, nice Guinness pour and cool pinball machine. One of the oldest buildings in New London because that little block was one of very few areas that did not get burned to the ground during the American Revolution. IIRC O'Neil is said to have hung out occasionally in whatever establishment was there at the time he was around, but I don't believe it was the Dutch Tavern then.

The present owner, Peter, was in the legendary regional band the Reducers. Very good guy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Any SCSU folks remember THE OWLS NEST?
No an SCSU guy, but hung out in the area on occasion and the name rings a bell. Clancy's is the one I remember best.

Speaking of New Haven, how could I forget the old Rudy's? Great dive bar. Lots of memories. Or almost memories...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've only been to the Horseshoe in Southport once, but that place certainly seemed to be legit.

All the more surprising for being in Southport . . .

Westport's floating Black Duck probably also qualifies in the Fairfield county Godl Coast category.

And yes, as mentioned elsewhere, Rudy's and Ron's Place long ago in New Haven w/Owl's Nest & Westside still active.

Reaction Score
No an SCSU guy, but hung out in the area on occasion and the name rings a bell. Clancy's is the one I remember best.

Speaking of New Haven, how could I forget the old Rudy's? Great dive bar. Lots of memories. Or almost memories...

Rudy's was practically upscale compared to places like the Grotto! Rudy's for me was like going to the Anchor.Well a little rougher, but not like...

The dives were places like the Grotto, Ron's Place and Josey Wales in Westville.

Reaction Score

East Hampton has a bar called Governor's Tavern, after good ole Bill O'Neill. Think he liked to drink?

Reaction Score
The Beachcomber in Milford. Haven't been there in years but it had zero redeeming qualities. I loved the place.
Still there, has survived two hurricanes in two years. There is really nothing to damage and they largely ignore most rules. It is a classic!

Let's not forget the Star Cafe in the Dive category, Milford Division

Reaction Score
I used to live right across the street from the Westside cafe in New haven, fun times, also like the Anchor and the Grotto.

Reaction Score
The Windmill in Stratford was my favorite, but now it's another Vazzy's and not the same.

The Redwood in Milford was another great one; haven't been there in years though so I don't know if it is still the same. Same with Stratford Ale House.

Does anyone remember the Bach Dor in Chaplin? I remember some long drives out there from UConn, but somehow have no memory of the rides home. IIRC they had a crazy happy hour deal back in the day.
I go from Columbia to Hampton for work sometimes and that place always interests me, never been in though.

Anyone been to Three J's off of 384 in Bolton?

Reaction Score
On the shore I like the Lyme Tavern in East Lyme.

Love the Lyme Tavern.......from the days of going to Rocky Neck on weekends with the boys from meriden right across the street to even on occasion now when we play golf down that way during the summer....one of the best dive's good call!!

Reaction Score
The Federal gets my vote. It was a better dive before it moved.

The Fed moved in the past few weeks??? I was just there in mid February, Union Station area.

Reaction Score
I used to live right across the street from the Westside cafe in New haven, fun times, also like the Anchor and the Grotto.

Oh man....The Grotto???....was there one time while in college in the mid '80's to see Lone Justice from L.A. perform. Good time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom