Best 2015 WCBB Players By Position... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best 2015 WCBB Players By Position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Wes33,CBear, Choc and stwain- My apologies, but listing a UNC or Vol (DD) player would go against my very DNA.

Even if they have a diamond in the rough? So Candace wouldn't have made the list if this were 07-08?

I'm with you on the sentiment and can only hope holly can rein her in (is that the right spelling Kibitzer?)

Reaction Score
Even if they have a diamond in the rough? So Candace wouldn't have made the list if this were 07-08?

I'm with you on the sentiment and can only hope holly can rein her in (is that the right spelling Kibitzer?)

Candace who? Yes, rein is correct. The alternate spelling, reign, would refer to the duration of time a supreme, dynastic power rules- as in UConn Women's Basketball.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
BTW - it is too soon to know, but Rutgers' Tyler Scaife may bloom this year. She is a great talent. Copper should also have a good year, but I accept that she will never rise to AA status. To me, the rest of the Rutgers squad is a bit of an enigma, but no one that I expect to reach AA levels.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
PG: Jefferson, Romero (FSU), Allen, Theriot (Nebraska), Johnson (Baylor)

SG: Mitchell (little carolina), Alexis Jones, Nurse, Mitchell (Ohio State), Plum

Small forwards: Powers, Deshields, Courtney Williams (TAMU), Moore (Louisville), Walker-Kimbrough

PF: Stewart, Azura Stevens, Tuck, Davis (Baylor), Wilson (Lesser Carolina)

Centers: Turner, Bulgak, Coates (lower carolina), Hamblin, Jones (Maryland)

Reaction Score
Interesting how folks define "Best". If we're talking about scoring ability, then I would put DeShields on top...drop Stewie down. Also put Plum behind K. Mitchell and move all the Baylor ladies up. They all can/will gun at every opportunity.
If we're talking best/most valuable all around players, then...No to all of them. This isn't the WNBA. The truly successful teams are just that...a team. Stats are always great, but just remember what happens when good offense meets good defense, when it counts. Ask O Sims (5-25, I believe)...or Lloyd (can't count how many shots went up). Watch how many loaf on defense, especially in transition, and pout on offense without the ball.
Agree about the centers. Gonna have some hybrids in the near future, probably.
Geno has said on a number of occasions, Stewie could score 25+ a game, but that isn't Stewie.

Reaction Score

SG: Mitchell (little carolina), Alexis Jones, Nurse, Mitchell (Ohio State), Plum

Small forwards: Powers, Deshields, Courtney Williams (TAMU), Moore (Louisville), Walker-Kimbrough

Stewie could be at the top of your list at Small Forward, Power Forward, and Center, of which she'll play all 3 at times this year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Like Tennessee or not Diamond is just to good. Not to be on a top five player list.

Reaction Score
Plum, Mitchell and DeShields aren't the most efficient players, but they can knock down tough contested jumpers which makes them a unique asset. They are great bail out players if the offense isn't clicking and the shot clock is winding down. Some may question their shot selection at times, but if the game is on the line and it's down to the last few possessions, you put the ball in their hands for your best chance to win.

As an aside--these are the types of players that have led upsets of UCONN over the last several years. UCONN plays outstanding team basketball, but to beat UCONN, it's unlikely you'll do it through playing better team basketball. Notre Dame and Stanford have had their moments, but by and large, they haven't been able to come close when playing team basketball. When beating UCONN, usually there will be a player who UCONN can't contain and has been the difference maker down the stretch. If you look at UCONN's losses over the last 7 years, the bulk of them came against Notre Dame led by Diggins or McBride who both had several big games and made huge plays down the stretch in tight games. In 2012 when UCONN lost to Baylor, Sims took over (although Griner's 25 points, 9 rebounds and 9 blocks is worth a mention.) In 2015 UCONN couldn't stop Thompson or Orrange. No one would describe Diggins, McBride, Sims, Thompson, or Orrange as particularly efficient players, but they were all capable of stepping up their games and being great bail out players similar to Mitchell/Plum/DeShields. They have their hot and cold streaks, but when they are hot, they couldn't be stopped. These prototypes have found the most success against UCONN's stingy defense the last 7 years compared to any other player prototype....so that's why I give them a lot of credit.

I got no dispute with Diggins and McBride owning the Huskies for a spell. They were definitely AAs and had all-around talent. Geno's team during that time just wasn't as good until he started playing those three freshmen (Stewie, Mo and Morgan) regularly. As far as 2012 Baylor game (actually played in 2011), Griner took over after down by 11, not Sims. Also, those two Stanford girls had a great game, but certainly not worthy of comparison to these others players. My point about AA selection is the all-around ability. Prodigious scorers/shooters are nice to have, I guess, but doesn't make you an AA. The best players (not just good players) might not be on great teams, but they make their team better by playing great offense and defense. They also play great against the best teams. My opinion, anyways.

Reaction Score

Hey triaddukefan - let's remember your Jones(Maryland) pick for top 5 centers. I'll take Butler. Jones is 6'3" - 12 pts, 8.8 rebounds, only 49 blocks, a poor 27 total assists for the year, 100 personal fouls, and 68 turnovers. Jones is a little rough around the edges. UConn fans know the four returning starters are all current or future AA material. I am (as many BY posters are too) very excited about Butler's debut with UConn. Anticipation is not a strong enough word. Her Georgetown-Big East experience and one year of Geno/CD training is hard to ignore IMHO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hey triaddukefan - let's remember your Jones(Maryland) pick for top 5 centers. I'll take Butler. Jones is 6'3" - 12 pts, 8.8 rebounds, only 49 blocks, a poor 27 total assists for the year, 100 personal fouls, and 68 turnovers. Jones is a little rough around the edges. UConn fans know the four returning starters are all current or future AA material. I am (as many BY posters are too) very excited about Butler's debut with UConn. Anticipation is not a strong enough word. Her Georgetown-Big East experience and one year of Geno/CD training is hard to ignore IMHO.

I actually initally had Boyette on the list......... then I remembered Jones and slipped her in. I'll remember this list.

Ive never seen Butler play... never seen any highlights...... so how do you expect me to put a player on the list that Ive never seen in action ?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Relative to the list in the OP, I'd change the following:

Move Morgan up.

Move Nina Davis up.

Add Diamond as a top 3 or so SG or wing.

Move Coates down.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, has the op stated why DD was not on their list?

Reaction Score
Point Guards:
1. Moriah Jefferson, UConn
2. Niya Johnson, Baylor
3. Letitia Romero, FSU
4. Lindsay Allen, ND
5. Rachel Theriot, Nebraska

Two-Guards (all other guards, not pg):
1. Tiffany Mitchell, SC
2. Courtney Williams, USF
3. Kelsey Mitchell, OSU
4. Kia Nurse, UConn
5. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland

Forwards (big and small):
1. Breanna Stewart, UConn
2. Aerial Powers, MSU
3. Azura Stevens, Duke
4. A'ja Wilson, SC
5. Morgan Tuck, UConn
6. Nina Davis, Baylor
Centers:
1. Alaina Coates, SC
2. Briana hoTurner, ND
3. Adut Bulgak, FSU
4. Ruth Hamblin, OSU

I believe you have to put DD from TN somewhere on this list. As much as many here may criticize her, when not injured she is a scintillating talent. Also, while many criticize her play, she was a freshman at the time: I expect better (more consistent) play this year, as this is the year when most players make the biggest jump.
I also think you have to find a place among those guards for Rachel Banham of MN, who is certainly deserving even if she plays at only 80% of what she was before the injury and who is supposed to be fully recovered.

Reaction Score
Not a bad list.

I am slightly amazed at how Boneyarders keep coming up with off-season topics
to chew on.
That's what happens when your favorite team keeps spitting out national championships.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer is ND's center. Tuner is the power forward.

Notre Dame makes no official distinction. If you look at any box score, both are just listed as forwards. To me, Turner is clearly the center, though.

Defensively, their responsibilities are pretty much the same.

Offensively, Reimer takes most of her shots from the high post and Turner takes all of her shots at or near the rim.

I'm not sure why people think Reimer is the center. Because she has a stockier build, I guess? If their heights were listed accurately, it would be clearer, too. Reimer is actually closer to 6'2 and Turner is probably closer to 6'4 despite both being listed as 6'3.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Notre Dame makes no official distinction. If you look at any box score, both are just listed as forwards. To me, Turner is clearly the center, though.

Defensively, their responsibilities are pretty much the same.

Offensively, Reimer takes most of her shots from the high post and Turner takes all of her shots at or near the rim.

I'm not sure why people think Reimer is the center. Because she has a stockier build, I guess? If their heights were listed accurately, it would be clearer, too. Reimer is actually closer to 6'2 and Turner is probably closer to 6'4 despite both being listed as 6'3.
By this logic then ( Turner is a center) let's list Morgan Tuck as a center and IMO she would be the best center in WCBB instead of 3rd, 4th, or 5th Forward. Besides everyone knows Wilson & Stevens are Guards (wantabe) anyway.

Reaction Score

What I like is the love that Moriah and Breanna get along with the respect that Morgan does, as well. I agree that Morgan is at least top three at her position but the more important thing is Morgan will be there at the end of the year hoisting that national championship trophy along with her peers.

Reaction Score
I got no dispute with Diggins and McBride owning the Huskies for a spell. They were definitely AAs and had all-around talent. Geno's team during that time just wasn't as good until he started playing those three freshmen (Stewie, Mo and Morgan) regularly. As far as 2012 Baylor game (actually played in 2011), Griner took over after down by 11, not Sims. Also, those two Stanford girls had a great game, but certainly not worthy of comparison to these others players. My point about AA selection is the all-around ability. Prodigious scorers/shooters are nice to have, I guess, but doesn't make you an AA. The best players (not just good players) might not be on great teams, but they make their team better by playing great offense and defense. They also play great against the best teams. My opinion, anyways.
I don't know if I would say that Geno's team wasn't as good, I would say that for some mysterious reason, UConn would play uncharacteristally poorly in the waning moments of games, allowing those two (who are crunch time players) opportunities to help pull out a victory. I'll always remember how many foul shots UConn missed in that three overtime game, some of which were one and one opportunities but also that ridiculously lucky three point shot that bounced off the rim a couple of times before finally dropping to send the game into overtime. UConn choked in at least three and maybe more of those games which NEVER happens, particularly with seasoned players. The perfect storm that allowed Notre Dame to develop a mystique that UConn has recently started crushing!!!!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Poor Morgan...she never seems to get the love. Honestly, anyone honestly think Powers (who I've only seen once), Stevens or Wilson is a better player than Tuck? If you're picking for 3 on 3 game, who would you pick? I would take Stewie, Morgan and my Dad...and he passed away two years ago. I realize it looks like serious "home cooking" to place her second, but really....
To be honest that is exactly how I make my decisions for these lists LOL. If I had to play a pick up game right now who would I pick (assuming I wanted to win)... I always go for a UConn kid first because they learn a read and react system. They play off instincts.

Reaction Score
Point Guards:
1. Moriah Jefferson, UConn
2. Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame
3. Letitia Romero, FSU
4. Niya Johnson, Baylor

I thought Kelsey Mitchell was her team's PG?

Anyhow bballnut90, your post makes a lot more sense to me especially the top 3 in each category. I particularly like Linda Allen and Kelsey Mitchell being #2 and #1 respectively in their category. Mitchell is a SUPERSTAR. Mitchell is why Ohio St. was so successful last year. She is why they are getting better recruits and getting transfers.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I would say that Geno's team wasn't as good, I would say that for some mysterious reason, UConn would play uncharacteristally poorly in the waning moments of games, allowing those two (who are crunch time players) opportunities to help pull out a victory. I'll always remember how many foul shots UConn missed in that three overtime game, some of which were one and one opportunities but also that ridiculously lucky three point shot that bounced off the rim a couple of times before finally dropping to send the game into overtime. UConn choked in at least three and maybe more of those games which NEVER happens, particularly with seasoned players. The perfect storm that allowed Notre Dame to develop a mystique that UConn has recently started crushing!!!!

I totally agree on the return to "ND crushing"...it's a beautiful thing. My point about the team being not as good as ND back then was for the reasons you mentioned...a breakdown in fundamentals, maybe even a "choke". The best TEAM normally wins those kind of games. But, once again, that was the past. Enjoy the current wave, Baby.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are being very selective by only going back to the '12-13 season and the three times ND beat UCONN. Just one season prior '11-'12 ND also beat UCONN 3 times in one season. We had Maya-a "seasoned player" for those games but ND had the better team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, has the op stated why DD was not on their list?

Just a hunch. She's injured(did not play in Europe) and won't have played in a year and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom