6. Nina Davis, Baylor
Centers:
1. Alaina Coates, SC
2. Briana Turner, ND
3. Adut Bulgak, FSU
4. Ruth Hamblin, OSU

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO by the end of the season, Kia Nurse will be the highest ranked 2/SG in WCBB!
Her experience on the Canadian National Team & UCONN will push her to the top at that position!
She has already improved her game by a substantial margin!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am slightly amazed at how Boneyarders keep coming up with off-season topics
to chew on.

I agree. To take your observation a step further into the vast OT universe, when I look at the lists presented in the OP I too am slightly amazed at the thought of how the University of Maryland AD will fit Ms Shatori WALKER-KIMBROUGH's hyphenated last name on her bb jersey.:rolleyes:

(Season starts in >3 months.);)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Brianna Turner is more of a forward then a Center.

Reaction Score
I agree. To take your observation a step further into the vast OT universe, when I look at the lists presented in the OP I too am slightly amazed at the thought of how the University of Maryland AD will fit Ms Shatori WALKER-KIMBROUGH's hyphenated last name on her bb jersey.:rolleyes:

(Season starts in >3 months.);)

Thankfully <

Reaction Score

Why? She lives in the paint- her defensive strength is blocking shots and rebounding at the basket, and her offensive game's range (aside from fast break layups) is completely nonexistent beyond three feet of the basket. While Turner is athletic and lacks the size and bulk of traditional centers like a Ruth Hamblin or a Stafford-McGee, her game is absolutely that of a center. (having said that, she's a damn good player, just not a forward)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why? She lives in the paint- her defensive strength is blocking shots and rebounding at the basket, and her offensive game's range (aside from fast break layups) is completely nonexistent beyond three feet of the basket. While Turner is athletic and lacks the size and bulk of traditional centers like a Ruth Hamblin or a Stafford-McGee, her game is absolutely that of a center. (having said that, she's a damn good player, just not a forward)

McGee-Stafford is now Imani Boyette. She tied the knot this summer (http://www.texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6037&path=wbball).

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Yet muffet has her living in the paint.
I still think Coates is a more "established" player but turner will move right up to 1 on the list IMO
Um, where's diamond? Even with a year out I can certainly find a spot up there for her...

Reaction Score
IMO by the end of the season, Kia Nurse will be the highest ranked 2/SG in WCBB!
Her experience on the Canadian National Team & UCONN will push her to the top at that position!
She has already improved her game by a substantial margin!

RSHERMVIKES - We all like Kia a lot more now after a great summer. Kia as #1 is a question and an outside possibility. However what strikes me is that the three guards ahead of Kia are the BEST players on their teams. Kia could be listed as UConn's 4th best starter. What a powerful statement. I do think Kia could easily be considered the best TOTAL #2 guard since the other 3 listed are such big scorers/shooters. From what I have seen, Kia is the best defensive guard--and the best team player who has the tools to fill in the gaps when necessary (see Pan Am games.)

Reaction Score
Poor Morgan...she never seems to get the love. Honestly, anyone honestly think Powers (who I've only seen once), Stevens or Wilson is a better player than Tuck? If you're picking for 3 on 3 game, who would you pick? I would take Stewie, Morgan and my Dad...and he passed away two years ago. I realize it looks like serious "home cooking" to place her second, but really....

Reaction Score
Point Guards:
1. Moriah Jefferson, UConn
2. Niya Johnson, Baylor
3. Letitia Romero, FSU
4. Lindsay Allen, ND
5. Rachel Theriot, Nebraska

Two-Guards (all other guards, not pg):
1. Tiffany Mitchell, SC
2. Courtney Williams, USF
3. Kelsey Mitchell, OSU
4. Kia Nurse, UConn
5. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland

Forwards (big and small):
1. Breanna Stewart, UConn
2. Aerial Powers, MSU
3. Azura Stevens, Duke
4. A'ja Wilson, SC
5. Morgan Tuck, UConn
6. Nina Davis, Baylor
Centers:
1. Alaina Coates, SC
2. Briana Turner, ND
3. Adut Bulgak, FSU
4. Ruth Hamblin, OSU

Yo Husky - Interesting post for my Sunday morning brain teaser. In general I think you have a great start. Of course, one can quibble with a few selections. What I want to put out there is an opinion on the centers. I think Butler will be one of the top ten best centers in the country next year. You only listed 4 centers so maybe Butler has an outside chance for #5. Here is my perspective and the reasoning behind it: I did an analysis of your 4 top centers and the scoring average is close for all--Coates is low at 11pts. and up to 13.7 for Turner at the top. Remember every starter for UConn was in double figures last year (we are assuming that Butler starts of course.) Seems reasonable and doable for Butler. Rebounding - Close again. Turner low center at 7.8 and Bulgak tops at 9 rebounds a game. Can Natalie get 8 rebounds a game--I think so! ASSISTS - here is where Butler could pull away from the field and jump into the top tier of centers - (I think most of you posters will be surprised by the numbers) Bulgak is low center on assists with 15 - yes 15 for the entire season; the other three centers are at 25, 26 & 28 for the year. Yes, that is less than one a game. Remember, every starter on UConn had 100 assists or more. Also, if Geno/CD have been grooming Natalie (a la Dolson) --Natalie's value goes sky high and she would be in the top tier as a whole. Finally, blocks. Hamblin pulls ahead here with 122, Turner at 89, and Coates & Bulgak at 54 (less than 2 a game.) Let's be reasonable and say Natalie gets 2 blocks a game or slightly less. That is even with Coates and Bulgak. Overall Butler will be battling for top 5 in the nation as a center. Sounds reasonable to me and not over-reaching. IMHO.

Reaction Score
PhillyCoach- - - This is what makes UCONN/Geno/CD great is that they saw something in Kia as a recruit that her teamwork & unselfishness blended with her work ethic puts her off the charts as whats possible for her with her sophomore, junior, & senior seasons still ahead of her! And the other recruits are of the same "cloth"! Yes once in a while they'll pick someone that is just short of their ideal, but their success rate is 90%-95%!
And I agree with your post above on Natalie Butler! If she stays healthy she'll have a monster year!

DaddyChoc- - - -I agree with you! I would think you can place Morgan Tuck as high as #2 in the group listed above and be right! Stewart can go at C/PF/SF and Tuck can go at PF/C and be rated Stewart #1 and Tuck #2!

Reaction Score
Kia has certainly earned all her props this summer. What CD needs to do is make sure Kia has the three stripes in her hair when the season starts. :)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kia is not going to get the recognition from the National Media/Commentators that many other players will. She won't have the scoring average that others will have. UConn won't need her to score for the team to succeed, plus Stewie, Moriah and Morgan will get the publicity. Kia will be an unsung player on the UConn roster. Wouldn't be surprised is Collier or Samuelson get more recognition then Kia will. Next year if Kia takes over the starting PG role, that may change.

Reaction Score
Kia is not going to get the recognition from the National Media/Commentators that many other players will. She won't have the scoring average that others will have. UConn won't need her to score for the team to succeed, plus Stewie, Moriah and Morgan will get the publicity. Kia will be an unsung player on the UConn roster. Wouldn't be surprised is Collier or Samuelson get more recognition then Kia will. Next year if Kia takes over the starting PG role, that may change.
Wbbfan1 - totally agree that Kia won't get the recognition from the National Media. It is sad that Kia won't get that fanfare. However, Kia doesn't have the need for that. She knows now after a wonderful summer that the kudos will come when earned. Final note - Kia will do whatever is necessary to help the team win and she is one of the few players in the NCAA who has most of the tools to accomplish those tasks. Take your pick - another Championship or National Media award. We know what Kia will choose. She always does.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Point Guards:
1. Moriah Jefferson, UConn
2. Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame
3. Letitia Romero, FSU
4. Niya Johnson, Baylor

Kind of slim pickings for top PGs this year..

Two-Guards (all other guards, not pg):
1. Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
2. Tiffany Mitchell, SC
3. Alexis Jones, Baylor
4. Kelsey Plum, Washington
5. Courtney Williams, USF
6. Kia Nurse, UConn
7. Courtney Walker, Texas A&M
8. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland

A solid crop of 2 guards returning next year in college basketball. I think Jones could be one of the very best at Baylor. Kelsey Mitchell will shine this season. Nurse could be as high as 4 in my book, but could easily be overshadowed by others at UCONN.

Forwards (big and small):
1. Breanna Stewart, UConn
2. Diamond DeShields, Tennessee (if healthy)
3. Nina Davis, Baylor
4. A'ja Wilson, South Carolina
5. Aerial Powers, MSU
6. Morgan Tuck, UCONN
7. Courtney Williams, Texas A&M
8. Azura Stevens, Duke
9. Mariya Moore, Louisville

Lots of depth at the 3 and 4 this year. Stewart, DeShields and Davis are all elite talents. 4-8 are interchangeable. Wilson isn't the most efficient around the basket, but could break out and be a monster this year. Powers is great but her team was miserable last season, Tuck is rock solid and should have an opportunity to establish herself as a top 10 player this year. Williams had a somewhat underwhelming junior year but is as good in the midrange as anyone. Stevens could be an AA this year, and Moore was a stud as a freshman who will have ample opportunity to showcase her talent this season.

Centers:
1. Briana Turner, ND
2. Imani Mcgee-Stafford, TX
3. Brionna Jones, ND
4. Jillian Alleyne, Oregon
5. Ruth Hamblin, OSU
6. Adut Bulgak, FSU

Not a ton of top notch true centers after the graduation of Griner, Dolson, Achonwa, Zahui B, etc in the last few years. I think Turner will play more as a forward, I also think she will sky rocket this year to a 1st team All-American with her length, athleticism and ability. McGee-Stafford was dominant toward the end of last season, I'm interested to see if she can play that way for the full 2015-16 year. Mercedes Russell is another player who could easily be #2 or #3 on this list by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Interesting how folks define "Best". If we're talking about scoring ability, then I would put DeShields on top...drop Stewie down. Also put Plum behind K. Mitchell and move all the Baylor ladies up. They all can/will gun at every opportunity.
If we're talking best/most valuable all around players, then...No to all of them. This isn't the WNBA. The truly successful teams are just that...a team. Stats are always great, but just remember what happens when good offense meets good defense, when it counts. Ask O Sims (5-25, I believe)...or Lloyd (can't count how many shots went up). Watch how many loaf on defense, especially in transition, and pout on offense without the ball.
Agree about the centers. Gonna have some hybrids in the near future, probably.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Interesting how folks define "Best". If we're talking about scoring ability, then I would put DeShields on top...drop Stewie down. Also put Plum behind K. Mitchell and move all the Baylor ladies up. They all can/will gun at every opportunity.
If we're talking best/most valuable all around players, then...No to all of them. This isn't the WNBA. The truly successful teams are just that...a team. Stats are always great, but just remember what happens when good offense meets good defense, when it counts. Ask O Sims (5-25, I believe)...or Lloyd (can't count how many shots went up). Watch how many loaf on defense, especially in transition, and pout on offense without the ball.
Agree about the centers. Gonna have some hybrids in the near future, probably.

Plum, Mitchell and DeShields aren't the most efficient players, but they can knock down tough contested jumpers which makes them a unique asset. They are great bail out players if the offense isn't clicking and the shot clock is winding down. Some may question their shot selection at times, but if the game is on the line and it's down to the last few possessions, you put the ball in their hands for your best chance to win.

As an aside--these are the types of players that have led upsets of UCONN over the last several years. UCONN plays outstanding team basketball, but to beat UCONN, it's unlikely you'll do it through playing better team basketball. Notre Dame and Stanford have had their moments, but by and large, they haven't been able to come close when playing team basketball. When beating UCONN, usually there will be a player who UCONN can't contain and has been the difference maker down the stretch. If you look at UCONN's losses over the last 7 years, the bulk of them came against Notre Dame led by Diggins or McBride who both had several big games and made huge plays down the stretch in tight games. In 2012 when UCONN lost to Baylor, Sims took over (although Griner's 25 points, 9 rebounds and 9 blocks is worth a mention.) In 2015 UCONN couldn't stop Thompson or Orrange. No one would describe Diggins, McBride, Sims, Thompson, or Orrange as particularly efficient players, but they were all capable of stepping up their games and being great bail out players similar to Mitchell/Plum/DeShields. They have their hot and cold streaks, but when they are hot, they couldn't be stopped. These prototypes have found the most success against UCONN's stingy defense the last 7 years compared to any other player prototype....so that's why I give them a lot of credit.

Reaction Score
Yo Husky - Interesting post for my Sunday morning brain teaser. In general I think you have a great start. Of course, one can quibble with a few selections. What I want to put out there is an opinion on the centers. I think Butler will be one of the top ten best centers in the country next year. You only listed 4 centers so maybe Butler has an outside chance for #5. Here is my perspective and the reasoning behind it: I did an analysis of your 4 top centers and the scoring average is close for all--Coates is low at 11pts. and up to 13.7 for Turner at the top. Remember every starter for UConn was in double figures last year (we are assuming that Butler starts of course.) Seems reasonable and doable for Butler. Rebounding - Close again. Turner low center at 7.8 and Bulgak tops at 9 rebounds a game. Can Natalie get 8 rebounds a game--I think so! ASSISTS - here is where Butler could pull away from the field and jump into the top tier of centers - (I think most of you posters will be surprised by the numbers) Bulgak is low center on assists with 15 - yes 15 for the entire season; the other three centers are at 25, 26 & 28 for the year. Yes, that is less than one a game. Remember, every starter on UConn had 100 assists or more. Also, if Geno/CD have been grooming Natalie (a la Dolson) --Natalie's value goes sky high and she would be in the top tier as a whole. Finally, blocks. Hamblin pulls ahead here with 122, Turner at 89, and Coates & Bulgak at 54 (less than 2 a game.) Let's be reasonable and say Natalie gets 2 blocks a game or slightly less. That is even with Coates and Bulgak. Overall Butler will be battling for top 5 in the nation as a center. Sounds reasonable to me and not over-reaching. IMHO.

Philly- If Natalie is even close to being a top 5 center, then holy mackerel, this year's team is going to be an out-and-out monster and one of the transcendent UConn teams ever.

WestCoastFan and RSHERMVIKES- Guys, don't get me wrong. I, too, think Morgan is fantastic and terribly underrated. I was just trying to appear impartial (which I am anything but) in selecting non-Huskies to the list.

Wes33,CBear, Choc and stwain- My apologies, but listing a UNC or Vol (DD) player goes against my very DNA.

bballnut- Azura Stevens is a surefire top 3 forward, just as surely as Mariya Moore doesn't belong anywhere in the top 15 (though she may throw the meanest right shoulder of all). And from what I saw of Plum and Courtney Williams in the Pan Am games (tough competition, I get it), those two are nice ballplayers, but they have a long way to go to be considered among the nation's best. I had McGee and Jones down the list because of their plodding inability to run the floor which limited them to mostly half court effectiveness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69