B1G | Page 93 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Watching this Penn State game is depressing. State College is not THAT much different from Storrs, just a bit bigger. The whole school is pretty much a larger UCONN.

I don't think I'll ever forgive the state for such a mediocre stadium/location/gameday experience. Penn State games are a true marvel.

Hopefully we will see the much needed Rentschler expansion in the next 5 years.

Would be so great to play our away games at stadiums like PSU, Michigan, Michigan State. I know Susan thinks so. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Penn State got a royal screwjob tonight. Three things: 1) the interception that wasn't. The ball looked to have hit the ground on the replay but the refs said that the equipment was faulty. ROTFL
2) Ohio State was allowed to kick a field goal TWO SECONDS after the play clock ran to zero. If that happened to UConn, you'd be screaming your lungs here.
3) Franklin was trying to get the refs to clarify something about the clock late in the fourth quarter. The refs charged him with a timeout, which was the last one he had. He didn't call a time out.

Reading PSU boards, some are already going to protest Monday about changing conferences. Will Delany hear about it?

Reaction Score
Penn State got a royal screwjob tonight. Three things: 1) the interception that wasn't. The ball looked to have hit the ground on the replay but the refs said that the equipment was faulty. ROTFL
2) Ohio State was allowed to kick a field goal TWO SECONDS after the play clock ran to zero. If that happened to UConn, you'd be screaming your lungs here.
3) Franklin was trying to get the refs to clarify something about the clock late in the fourth quarter. The refs charged him with a timeout, which was the last one he had. He didn't call a time out.

Reading PSU boards, some are already going to protest Monday about changing conferences. Will Delany hear about it?

I hope you realize this happens every year.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if we hear rumors of a swap between the Big Ten and ACC, where Penn State and Pitt change places.

- Pitt gets to share in the BTN bounty, plus playing Ohio State, Meecheegan and Sparty every year would excite the Pitt crowd. Ah, but you say Pitt has no fans. Whatever fans Pitt has they'd more likely show up for Ohio State than for Georgia Tech. Plus Pitt is much closer to the Midwest schools and have more familiarity with that culture.

- Delany saves face by keeping a presence in Pennsy (and his Eastern Initiative not screwed up, which would be looked at as a major black mark against him).

- The ACC would no longer be viewed as a basketball conference, with FSU, Penn State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, plus occasionally Miami, Georgia Tech, NC State and Boston College making noise.

- Penn State renews rivalries with BC and Syracuse, plus playing the Virginia and Carolina schools would be very appealing to Penn State alums.

- Both conferences keep the possibility of moving to 16 open, but would depend on what happens elsewhere. If ND goes in full or if Kansas decides to switch to B1G within years then I can see UConn get the nod.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Anyone who posts things like the following...

1. Pitt belongs in the B10
2. Boston College basketball "occasionally makes noise"
3. PSU alums would rather play against BC, Syracuse, UVA and UNC than OSU, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Michigan

...immediately loses reputation and credibility points with me.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If John U. Bacon is correct (he usually is about UM athletics), PSU would be giving up currently $44.5 million total conference TV payout to go to The ACC?

John U. Bacon in his article about the failures of Michigan AD Dave Brandon said:
This is partly due to the conference TV payout to Big10 member schools, which have more than doubled in Brandon's tenure to $44.5 million to each school.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If John U. Bacon is correct (he usually is about UM athletics), PSU would be giving up currently $44.5 million total conference TV payout to go to The ACC?

Mmmmm bacon.

Now that I got that out of the way...the ACC seemingly can't get a network off the ground despite sporting the defending football national champion and what everyone feels like is the "best" basketball conference in the country. But yeah, PSU will want to cut their conference TV revenue in half because of a few bad calls in 2014 to join that.

outlandish.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if we hear rumors of a swap between the Big Ten and ACC, where Penn State and Pitt change places.

Just in from Penn State:
ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Reaction Score
Same thread, every year. I've been reading that thread for 20 years now.

I suspect it's more than just a few cranks on that message board or I wouldn't bring it up. What about alums and boosters? If they detect enough sentiment to change conferences then they'd be wise to get behind it even if it is just to keep their current relationships at Penn State.

Also, I didn't say that Pitt "belongs" but I did say it would be a face-saving move. Isn't the BTN model predicated on having a school in the state? So even a school in a moderately-sized city would be enough. Pitt fans and Penn State fans are very unlikely to change allegiances but Pitt in the Big Ten may attract people who like Big Ten sports and who wouldn't necessarily switch to Rutgers or Maryland.

Granted, it was a long time ago but Pitt was considered, along with other schools, when they were trying to replace the U. of Chicago. Michigan State got that spot. However, it is proof that Pitt is not some sort of weird fit for them.

I know what the opinions of the B1G fans would be but why would UConn fans reject the possibility to move to a major conference that has Pitt in it?

Take a look:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zY9YlltZu0-0.kybrtQi2hmxo

Pitt, Rutgers, UConn, Maryland

Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana

Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Iowa

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas

Now what would the ACC look like?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zY9YlltZu0-0.k5wfmXhFOCXs

ND, PSU, BC, Syracuse

UL, UC, WF, NCSU

UVA, VT, UNC, Duke

GT, FSU, CU, Miami

Granted, these are hypotheticals. One can switch teams around to get a more balanced strength of schedule.

As for why no ACC network so far, I put that on Swofford and his short-sighted deal, that I think had a role in chasing away Maryland. However, ESPN has a chance to help rectify that situation. I think offering Pitt for PSU in a straight-up deal would benefit both sides. No extra cash needed. Ohio State and Meecheegan get a more perfect setup for them without schools that would pose a major challenge in football other than Nebraska. The Big Ten finally get the coastal states they need to future-proof their conference.

I don't see much wrong in this proposal.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't see much wrong in this proposal.

Except for these:

PSU point of view

1. Academic mission -Sorry, but staying in the Big10/CiC is much more aligned with what's really important to the university, educating students. PSU has said many times that CiC membership has brought up the level of academics that wouldn't (or couldn't) have happened without it. I'm not saying that the academics would drop of they went to the ACC (it's schools are very good, as good as the Big10), but they would have to start over. PSU is a large research school already intertwined into the other Big10 schools. Breaking those chains would harm the main purpose of the school.

2. Money - The Big10 schools already make more than The ACC schools do and stand to make more, much more in the next few years.

3. Image - PSU is trying to put a decimating incident and the image issues it caused behind them. The Big10 is not perfect (tattoo gate at OSU, stretch gate at Michigan), but The ACC is getting reputation of going rogue. UNC, 'Cuse, FSU, all are in the midst of issues that could really harm the image of The ACC. I understand this is a stretch, but I know the admin of PSU will not put the image of the school in jeopardy again.

Big10 point of view

1. It's Pitt - Pitt has no where near the appeal nor the draw of PSU. Pitt barely captures Pittsburgh let alone the entire state. Nationally, Pitt doesn't even register.

2. It's Pitt - They don't fit the mark of a Big10 school. They are small and private. They are a great university and a top notch research school, but that's the only similarity.

3. Location - Pitt is Midwestern. PSU is Eastern. Pitt doesn't fit where The Big10 wants to be.

4. It's Pitt

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
PSU leaving is a nonstarter. They run to the barricades from time to time, whenever there is a perceived slight from the legacy members. Until last year, they were at the bottom of the seniority list for 20 years. It affects the mob, put those in charge couldn't be more happy about being in the B1G.

There is some grief that the conference didn't stand up for them 3 yr ago. Same as us with the APR ban. We weren't itching to leave the BE.

Reaction Score
Watching this Penn State game is depressing. State College is not THAT much different from Storrs, just a bit bigger. The whole school is pretty much a larger UCONN.

I don't think I'll ever forgive the state for such a mediocre stadium/location/gameday experience. Penn State games are a true marvel.

Hopefully we will see the much needed Rentschler expansion in the next 5 years.

Would be so great to play our away games at stadiums like PSU, Michigan, Michigan State. I know Susan thinks so. Fingers crossed.
How do you figure Penn State is simply a bigger version of UConn? Sure they are similar in that they are both universities, but I really don't see them as that similar.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Anyone suggesting that a school would voluntarily leave the B1G to go to the ACC should stop posting here on the CR board. I understand that we have our B1G homers and our ACC homers that visit us from time to time and loyalties run thick. But c'mon. Penn State may not like the way they were treated over the whole Sandusky scandal, and the ACC sure does seem like a home for scandalous activity, but PSU isn't going to throw away half of its conference TV revenue PLUS money it makes from B1G research over a 2 year football suspension.

And please stop to inflate Pitt as some potential "face saving" move for Delany. Pitt, if you recall, was a second choice alternative to replace UCONN for the ACC back when they were added with Syracuse. The only reason Pitt has a head start over UCONN in a P5 conference is primarily thanks to Boston College's smear campaign led against UCONN to protect "their" New England turf. Since their arrival, Pitt has done absolutely nothing to warrant being in a P5 and have proven themselves to being what they were in the Big East: a parasite of the top championship winning athletic departments in their conference. The B1G is going through a Championship Title drought that is gaining some national attention. Adding Pitt certainly wouldn't fend off those critics.

Dooley

Reaction Score
How do you figure Penn State is simply a bigger version of UConn? Sure they are similar in that they are both universities, but I really don't see them as that similar.

I think he's talking about campus location. State College in comparison with Storrs (both being located in the middle of nowhere). PSU is obviously MUCH larger than UCONN.

Reaction Score
I think he's talking about campus location. State College in comparison with Storrs (both being located in the middle of nowhere). PSU is obviously MUCH larger than UCONN.
Storrs is not in the middle of nowhere. The two locations are nothing alike other than neither is not a major city. From Storrs, a short drive puts you in major cities, beaches, and other tourist destinations. A short drive from Penn State's campus gets you??? The nearest city is Baltimore, and even that is over two hours away with Pittsburgh and Philly a good 3 hour drive. Also once you go outside of little State College, you really are in nowheresville as everything is so spread out, something you don't really see much in Connecticut. Our entire state is basically suburbia with a handful of 100k+ cities mixed in. That is nothing like central Pennsylvania where there are Amish, lots of farms, and where you're not going to have to worry about neighbors because there aren't any.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry - were you outraged last week when FSU got a "gift call" against ND to scratch out a win? The refs served to keep the ACC's only hope in the Football playoffs alive with that call. I hope ND learned a lesson. Half ass membership in a conference gets you half ass treatment. The ACC wants to protect its own and ND is not included.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No school is ever leaving a conference because of a bad call.

The only school that has even a remotely outside chance of leaving a major conference to go to another major conference is Missouri to the Big 10, and I would put that at around 1% in the next 10 years.

Reaction Score
No school is ever leaving a conference because of a bad call.

The only school that has even a remotely outside chance of leaving a major conference to go to another major conference is Missouri to the Big 10, and I would put that at around 1% in the next 10 years.
Missouri, and I wouldn't rule out any of the Florida or Texas schools.

Reaction Score
Storrs is not in the middle of nowhere. The two locations are nothing alike other than neither is not a major city. From Storrs, a short drive puts you in major cities, beaches, and other tourist destinations. A short drive from Penn State's campus gets you??? The nearest city is Baltimore, and even that is over two hours away with Pittsburgh and Philly a good 3 hour drive. Also once you go outside of little State College, you really are in nowheresville as everything is so spread out, something you don't really see much in Connecticut. Our entire state is basically suburbia with a handful of 100k+ cities mixed in. That is nothing like central Pennsylvania where there are Amish, lots of farms, and where you're not going to have to worry about neighbors because there aren't any.
Don't forget. Penn State fans are willing to drive hours and hours to see their home team play. Apparently some feel that Storrs is too far away from some people IN CONNECTICUT to put a stadium.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't forget. Penn State fans are willing to drive hours and hours to see their home team play. Apparently some feel that Storrs is too far away from some people IN CONNECTICUT to put a stadium.

Yeah, it's not as if Mansfield and Storrs residents haven't repeatedly denied the University the option of building a stadium on campus.

Dooley

Reaction Score

When we played at Michigan years ago, we went to "The Brown Jug" on the Friday afternoon before the game. After they saw our UCONN shirts and remarked how surprised they were to see lots of UCONN fans in Ann Arbor, we asked which fanbase usually packs the town on gameday weekends. Without hesitation, and all at the same time, they said "Penn State". I was surprised. I thought they'd say Ohio State or even Michigan State because of the more heated rivalries with those schools. They said that on years that Penn State plays at Michigan, they get tens of thousands PSU fans to show up in Ann Arbor with or without a ticket and run wild through the town's bars and restaurants. Also said that "Penn State weekend" is ALWAYS the weekend that the most fights and arrests occur on.

Not only are Penn State fans willing to drive hours for home games, but they are willing to drive hours and days for road games too. But we can't get UCONN fans to drive 20 minutes in a little rain to go to any game. Connecticut people sure do thrive on complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom