B1G | Page 92 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it just me or is UCONN really well positioned to become a very good hockey program very fast? Outstanding recruiting area, in the most prestigious conference in the country, a market starved to unite together for some post-Whalers hockey (Whaler fans won't root for the Wolfpack/Baby Rangers), an on-campus arena coming soon, and can schedule quality in-state opponents like Quinnipiac and Yale to help promote CT hockey.
Absolutely. UCONN Hockey would seemingly have less of a battle than UCONN Basketball did before it broke through. I could envision many top high schoolers wanting to play for our Huskies rather than going to Boston, especially kids from CT and south. UCONN is the southern most school in that bunch which would help recruiting. I see the women's team having a great deal of success too. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Ten years from now, Rutgers should have some of the top athletic facilities in the nation. Once they receive a full share of B1G money in the new contract the B1G will sign, they will be raking in over $40 million per year. It will just take a few years to get there.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ten years from now, Rutgers should have some of the top athletic facilities in the nation. Once they receive a full share of B1G money in the new contract the B1G will sign, they will be raking in over $40 million per year. It will just take a few years to get there.
Look at UConn's current facilities and the plans to upgrade in the next few years. We're doing all this with a a few million per year in TV money. The only thing RU has over us is an extra 12k seats. Just imagine what we'd be doing with $40 million annually - we'd curbstomp them.

Reaction Score

Do you know anything about Rutgers?

About New Brunswick AND Piscataway?

You bought a "pig in a poke"'; merely based on Cable boxes to eyeballs. It is little wonder to many of us when Rutgers puts anything together. And I can tell you that GRAFT is what moves the municipality and Governor Christie on anything of consequence. The stories are really quite amusing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you know anything about Rutgers?

About New Brunswick AND Piscataway?

You bought a "pig in a poke"'; merely based on Cable boxes to eyeballs. It is little wonder to many of us when Rutgers puts anything together. And I can tell you that GRAFT is what moves the municipality and Governor Christie on anything of consequence. The stories are really quite amusing.
Would you care to list the stories about Gov. Christie and graft? I'm not familiar with them.

Reaction Score
25 story multifamily building going up right now in New Brunswick near the Medical Center. Everyone in town questions the political will and the process.

And ... every other attempt is extraordinarily onerous.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

You say that as if you know Rutgers. We know Rutgers. They are the alcoholic nephew of college athletics. They'll blow all $40M on sweet rims and bottle service.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Christie's administration shifted state pension funds away from low-fee funds and into private equity firms / hedge funds. Surprise, surprise, those managers were major Christie / RGA donors. Maybe that would not be a big deal to taxpayers if the private equity outperformed the market at reasonable fees, but not only did the funds perform worse, the fees were oh... a billion dollars.

CL82

Reaction Score
Christie's administration shifted state pension funds away from low-fee funds and into private equity firms / hedge funds. Surprise, surprise, those managers were major Christie / RGA donors. Maybe that would not be a big deal to taxpayers if the private equity outperformed the market at reasonable fees, but not only did the funds perform worse, the fees were oh... a billion dollars.
lol, just curious where are your retirement funds? Mine certainly include a very significant percentage in equities and some are "managed by Wall Street firms."

And what exactly is the basis for your assertion, that these funds are managed by major Christie contributors? There are none that I can see in the article.

Is it your assertion that a state can only invest with a firm that has no employees that are registered voters? Maybe only voters registered as independents?

The chart in the article shows a ROI for 2014 of 15.9% in 2014. Did NJ returns ever have returns that high prior to being professionally managed? NJ used to limit itself to investing in public entities with dramatically lower returns.

A better look at the NJ pension management can be found here: http://pensionpulse.blogspot.com/2013/05/ny-and-nj-pensions-recover-from-crisis.html

I always found that the more tortured the attempt to smear a politician, the more worried the opposition is about his effectiveness and potential.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
lol, just curious where are your retirement funds? Mine certainly include a very significant percentage in equities and some are "managed by Wall Street firms."

And what exactly is the basis for your assertion, that these funds are managed by major Christie contributors? There are none that I can see in the article.

Is it your assertion that a state can only invest with a firm that has no employees that are registered voters? Maybe only voters registered as independents?

The chart in the article shows a ROI for 2014 of 15.9% in 2014. Did NJ returns ever have returns that high prior to being professionally managed? NJ used to limit itself to investing in public entities with dramatically lower returns.

A better look at the NJ pension management can be found here: http://pensionpulse.blogspot.com/2013/05/ny-and-nj-pensions-recover-from-crisis.html

I always found that the more tortured the attempt to smear a politician, the more worried the opposition is about his effectiveness and potential.
Mine are in low cost funds and ETFs. They don't outperform the market, but they do well enough. NJ's funds performed worse than the market and they cost a bunch of money in fees that helped pad the wallets of some quote-unquote fund managers. They might not be able to outperform the market most years, but I will give them credit: they recognize the investment opportunity of buying elected officials who can steer taxpayer money to their firms to pay their fees. Nice racket.

Reaction Score
You say that as if you know Rutgers. We know Rutgers. They are the alcoholic nephew of college athletics. They'll blow all $40M on sweet rims and bottle service.
They are entitled to spend it any way that they want. They won the lottery, as undeserving as it may seem. They can lose every game in every sport for an eternity now and it won't make any difference to them at all. They will still be rolling in dough.

Reaction Score

Nothing against RU students, with Rutgers administration and NJ politicians involved, I would not hold my breath for that to happen. I expect a lot of the B1G money going to Rutgers to go deal with Rutgers' debt, especially the merger with UMDNJ.

CL82

Reaction Score
Mine are in low cost funds and ETFs. They don't outperform the market, but they do well enough. NJ's funds performed worse than the market and they cost a bunch of money in fees that helped pad the wallets of some quote-unquote fund managers. They might not be able to outperform the market most years, but I will give them credit: they recognize the investment opportunity of buying elected officials who can steer taxpayer money to their firms to pay their fees. Nice racket.
I'm sorry, which elected officials were bought? You haven't shown that yet. But I'm a patient guy, I'll wait.

I think you are missing point in evaluating to move to public money managers. The question isn't if you can find an investment that did better. The question is whether the ROI on NJ retirement funds is better than it was before the move. It is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, which elected officials were bought? You haven't shown that yet. But I'm a patient guy, I'll wait.

I think you are missing point in evaluating to move to public money managers. The question isn't if you can find an investment that did better. The question is whether the ROI on NJ retirement funds is better than it was before the move. It is.

No offense but that isn't the question. It's not even close to the question. It's not even in the same galaxy as the question.

But since I'm pretty sure based on your earlier post you don't know what private equity is - you might want to sit this one out.

Reaction Score
Is it just me or is UCONN really well positioned to become a very good hockey program very fast? Outstanding recruiting area, in the most prestigious conference in the country, a market starved to unite together for some post-Whalers hockey (Whaler fans won't root for the Wolfpack/Baby Rangers), an on-campus arena coming soon, and can schedule quality in-state opponents like Quinnipiac and Yale to help promote CT hockey.
One of the top prep coaches told me that UConn is setting its sights too high in recruiting and as a result we are missing out on players a level down. A player from the top 10 isn't going to UConn, at least not yet. Those players will be going to BC, Michigan or even New Hampshire. That said , the future for UConn hockey is a bright one and we have the right coach in place to make it happen.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
One of the top prep coaches told me that UConn is setting its sights too high in recruiting and as a result we are missing out on players a level down. A player from the top 10 isn't going to UConn, at least not yet. Those players will be going to BC, Michigan or even New Hampshire. That said , the future for UConn hockey is a bright one and we have the right coach in place to make it happen.

Tell that prep coach that Cavanaugh knows a hell of a lot more about recruiting than he does.

Reaction Score
Tell that prep coach that Cavanaugh knows a hell of a lot more about recruiting than he does.
Actually Cavanaugh will prove him wrong when he actually signs a top 20 player. I have no doubt that some day he will but in the meantime we need to be competitive.

Reaction Score
One of the things that hurt the Whalers is New Haven area fans never bought into them.
Rememember that they had the Nighthawks and were the historic Hockey epicenter of the state. Home to the legendary Blades of the old EHL,(the inspiration for
If UConn can unite the state behind one team they can't miss.

Reaction Score
Actually Cavanaugh will prove him wrong when he actually signs a top 20 player. I have no doubt that some day he will but in the meantime we need to be competitive.
He didn't actually get his name signed on the line to a LOI...BUT he did get the verbal commitment from Liam Murphy who as a Soph at Avon Old Famrs was ranked the number 1 player in his signing class in the country. Murphy just chose to take the Canadian Major Junior route worth the Moncton Wildcats of the QMJHL instead of playing US College hockey (former BC commit Sonny Milano did the same thing after being drafted in the first rnd by the Columbus Blue jackets this past summer). To me that signaled to the big boys on the block Cav/UCONN Hockey had arrived with authority.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't know much about college hockey but I am excited about the future. Recruiting? "Hey, you can be the next Chris Smith of UCONN Athletics." It just takes one dream season.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Top players go to places like, Union, Lowell, and Quinnipiac. Hockey isn't as tradition based for recruits like FB is because they are mostly Canadian. It only really applies to local kids in MA (BC/BU), MN, WI, and MI. It's why with Cav, UConn will be competitive sooner rather than later. If you told me schools like those would be in the FF and win titles back in the day, I would have laughed at you and been justified in doing so. In hockey, it's easier to out recruit the ivies and other privates, which comprise a good chunk of the east coast power base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom