B1G | Page 91 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Beyond bad? Compared to what? Their supposed to be among the best of the OBE? Especially the weight room? Im not up on that stuff but remember what they've had to work with and I know the Hoops end is well below par but Shiano/Mulcahy/Pernetti were/did make FB there mission!! I hope you didnt think we'd be at U Mich or OSU/Neb levels? Have you seen SU's or Pitt's?

Compared to the rest of the conference. I don't have a copy of the article, but Brian Dohn on Scout had an eye opening article called The State of Rutgers Facilities (a sobering reality) a few weeks back. Outside of football, which would currently be mid to lower tier in the B1G, they looked pretty rough. It was not a slam piece, but a call to RU Supporters to step things up. As for Syracuse and Pitt? Meh they both have some good and bad. The Carmelo Anthony BBall Training Faciliry and Pitt's Peterson Center are both good examples.

Reaction Score
The CIC's budget is small. $5 million in grants last year for the 12 B1G universities. Not $5 million each. $5 million total.

Why would the CIC itself give big $ grants to the institutions that actually make up the CIC?? Does not compute.

Each year CIC members (all B1G + U. Chicago) receive a total of $9.3 BILLION in research and development funding. That's with MD and RUTG included.

John's Hopkins will push it over $11 BILLION. That's an average of $688MM per school (16 total), per year.

The strength of the CIC and it's member institutions = more research funding, Federal and other, for everyone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Compared to the rest of the conference. I don't have a copy of the article, but Brian Dohn on Scout had an eye opening article called The State of Rutgers Facilities (a sobering reality) a few weeks back. Outside of football, which would currently be mid to lower tier in the B1G, they looked pretty rough. It was not a slam piece, but a call to RU Supporters to step things up. As for Syracuse and Pitt? Meh they both have some good and bad. The Carmelo Anthony BBall Training Faciliry and Pitt's Peterson Center are both good examples.
I guess as Brian Dohn is a well known RU homer...if he says it its true!! I was thinking along FB lines...Melo's center is renowned but thats about it! Everyone knew RUs hoops facilities were terrible.Pitt dont even have a FB stadium and to be forthright SU is NOW building an IPF long in the waiting with nada room for expansion on the hill...I live upstate NY so am aware of the SU FB shortcomings!!!

Reaction Score
Why would the CIC itself give big $ grants to the institutions that actually make up the CIC?? Does not compute.

Each year the CIC (all B1G + U. Chicago) receives a total of $9.3 BILLION in research and development funding. That's with MD and RUTG included.

John's Hopkins will push it over $11 BILLION. That's an average of $688MM per school (16 total), per year.

The strength of the CIC and it's member institutions = more research funding, Federal and other, for everyone.
Now thats what I was talking about!! I wish someone would clear this up!?! Thats the kind of big numbers Ive heard!!

Reaction Score

Each year CIC members (all B1G + U. Chicago) receive a total of $9.3 BILLION in research and development funding. That's with MD and RUTG included.

I have no idea what your first question means. CIC is a consortium. The grant proposals going through the CIC netted $5m last year. WHat is your question again?

The $9.3 billion is the total amount of research grants. Aggregating it like that is the equivalent of my saying the SUNY's receive over $1 billion in research grants. Johns Hopkins, for instance is going to get $2 billion in grants whether its affiliated with the B1G or not.

Reaction Score
Now thats what I was talking about!! I wish someone would clear this up!?! Thats the kind of big numbers Ive heard!!

Sigh, you have hopelessly confused total research dollars with CIC money. And Cleanface isn't helping.

For instance, while Johns Hopkins brings the B1G up to $11 billion total, the $2 billion they add to the B1G's aggregate was BEFORE they had anything to do with the CIC.

If you're expecting the CIC to add to Rutgers' coffers, you're going to be incredibly underwhelmned.

Reaction Score
The CIC doesn't go out an secure $10B of research grants and delve them out among its members. However, the consortium does allow members to leverage their assets as a group and enables/encourages them to work jointly on research (to balance any potential shortcomings in expertise and/or facilities), which can improve the likelihood in securing a grant.

Reaction Score
I guess as Brian Dohn is a well known RU homer...if he says it its true!! I was thinking along FB lines...Melo's center is renowned but thats about it! Everyone knew RUs hoops facilities were terrible.Pitt dont even have a FB stadium and to be forthright SU is NOW building an IPF long in the waiting with nada room for expansion on the hill...I live upstate NY so am aware of the SU FB shortcomings!!!

Construction of Syracuse’s 102K square foot indoor practice facility for football, which will also be used by lacrosse (no suspire) and soccer (surprised), began in March/April of 2014. It’s being built at the Syracuse’s ‘Skytop’ campus, which is about a mile from the main campus and where I believe the Orange owns a lot of land. As a reference, UConn’s Shenkman Center is 82K square feet and also includes a full indoor football facility.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/4/30/5668142/syracuse-football-indoor-practice-facility-construction-weeks

I read the article as not an anti-Rutgers; but simply a reality check. Outside of the football stadium, Rutgers’ facilities are well behind the B1G and for the most part behind UConn’s. Plus, Rutgers’ has had limited success with fundraisers, which will not be helped by the poor PR coming out of the AD’s office in Piscataway. UConn is in the same boat on fundraising; but, winning a pair of basketball title should be helpful.

I also agree with the article in saying that the college athletic facilities arms raise is getting out of control, which I bet will be brought up during the various court cases that the NCAA is facing. After all, why does a ‘amateur’ sports program supported by a university, whose primary focus should be on academics, need a +100K football stadium with practice facilities that professional NFL teams are envious of (think Alabama, Oregon, etc.) while the school cuts majors and staff?

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wow!!!

If he can regenerate ligament tissue in the knee (and logically other joints as well) the applications in sports medicine alone would be incredible.

I know, right? Those knee procedures for running backs will be like Tommy John surgeries for pitchers: the norm. Amazing stuff!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know, right? Those knee procedures for running backs will be like Tommy John surgeries for pitchers: the norm. Amazing stuff!

Also, Tommy John surgury would no longer require transplanting a tendon (what the current procedure entails) from another part of the body.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Also, Tommy John surgury would no longer require transplanting a tendon (what the current procedure entails) from another part of the body.

Excellent point - I didn't even think of that! If this happened, it would cut down on recovery rates for pitchers (of interest to any fantasy baseballer geek like myself!).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good stuff Dooley. You ought to be drawing a check from the university.;)

Reaction Score
B1G hockey fans seem to have become much more receptive to the idea of adding UConn to the conference after seeing how badly their football sucks. Illinois and Northwestern are not stepping up in hockey. Nor has a B1G fan laughed so far at the idea of UMass-Amherst or UMass-Lowell if one of those schools become solid enough.

Dooley

Reaction Score
B1G hockey fans seem to have become much more receptive to the idea of adding UConn to the conference after seeing how badly their football sucks. Illinois and Northwestern are not stepping up in hockey. Nor has a B1G fan laughed so far at the idea of UMass-Amherst or UMass-Lowell if one of those schools become solid enough.

Is it just me or is UCONN really well positioned to become a very good hockey program very fast? Outstanding recruiting area, in the most prestigious conference in the country, a market starved to unite together for some post-Whalers hockey (Whaler fans won't root for the Wolfpack/Baby Rangers), an on-campus arena coming soon, and can schedule quality in-state opponents like Quinnipiac and Yale to help promote CT hockey.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is it just me or is UCONN really well positioned to become a very good hockey program very fast? Outstanding recruiting area, in the most prestigious conference in the country, a market starved to unite together for some post-Whalers hockey (Whaler fans won't root for the Wolfpack/Baby Rangers), an on-campus arena coming soon, and can schedule quality in-state opponents like Quinnipiac and Yale to help promote CT hockey.
And at $17 per ticket it is an easy family night out. Playing in Hartford until an on campus rink is ready is not a bad way to introduce casual fans to the product. I think it could do very well.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
And at $17 per ticket it is easy family night out. Playing in Hartford until an on campus rink is ready is not a bad way to introduce casual fans to the product. I think it could do very well.

Completely agree. Affordable and a great way to get casual fans introduced to the program. Case in point: me. I've never been to a UCONN hockey game but have bought season tickets at the XL. I think I know a dozen people who want to go to the BC game (some of them BC grads). Should be a great atmosphere!

Reaction Score
Competitively, they have an uphill battle to climb in terms of competing with the top tier of HE. That said, consistently finishing in the 5-8 range five years down the road is a real possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom