B1G | Page 5 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
SYR over BC by a couple of lengths. CUSE is in NY and would at least try to compete on the field.

If the BiG picks adds a private school it's Cuse.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Good point. The B1G would probably assess the BC pull of the Boston market to be small and not worth the trouble. Syracuse at least has a few percentage points of play in NYC...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Manuel: I think we were a better choice (than Louisville for the ACC), but I'm biased. WELL, WE ARE A BETTER CHOICE, SO THAT"S AN ACCURATE STATEMENT.

Herbst: Remember that our success has been in the Big East. Conference realignment is out of our control. BOTH OF THOSE STATEMENTS ARE FACTUALLY CORRECT.

Do those sound like the comments of people who believe we have a chance in hell of getting a B1G invite? FRANKLY, I MIGHT BE CONCERNED IF THEY STARTED WHINING ABOUT LOUISVILLE GETTING PICKED OVER US. HAVEN"T SEEN THAT YET.

mavblues, I am humored by your optimism. I read both of their recent comments as whining about Louisville getting picked over us. Whether we were a better choice than Louisville for the ACC or not, they chose Louisville. If Manuel thought he had a B1G invite coming he would have kept his mouth shut instead of saying we were a better choice for the ACC. As for Herbst, all of a sudden she's waxing nostalgic for a conference that she has heretofore snubbed? And, btw, the conference for which she pines doesn't exist anymore. Most of it is now in the ACC. I also disagree that realignment is out of the control of any one school. Louisville pretty clearly took control of its own destiny and changed it, to our detriment. She and Manuel got outmaneuvered. Badly.

There is no B1G invite for UConn and I am more convinced than ever that there never will be. There are two options:

(1) Stay in whatever is left of the Big East, forget about football, and hope for occasional basketball success as a high mid-major; or
(2) Go to the ACC when they have little choice but to accept us after they are raided by the B1G again.

Even though #2 is better for basketball, I now hope we never, ever go to the ACC. It is embarrassing and humiliating imo to join a conference whose members have treated us so badly. I would rather just remember the really good days and enjoy occasionally knocking off a big from a major conference in basketball.

caw

Reaction Score
It really comes down to which conference is the first to say they want to go to 16 and makes it a reality.

If 16 is the end game, then I have to think the ACC shot itself in the foot with ND.

Reaction Score
mavblues, I am humored by your optimism. I read both of their recent comments as whining about Louisville getting picked over us. Whether we were a better choice than Louisville for the ACC or not, they chose Louisville. If Manuel thought he had a B1G invite coming he would have kept his mouth shut instead of saying we were a better choice for the ACC. As for Herbst, all of a sudden she's waxing nostalgic for a conference that she has heretofore snubbed? And, btw, the conference for which she pines doesn't exist anymore. Most of it is now in the ACC. I also disagree that realignment is out of the control of any one school. Louisville pretty clearly took control of its own destiny and changed it, to our detriment. She and Manuel got outmaneuvered. Badly.

There is no B1G invite for UConn and I am more convinced than ever that there never will be. There are two options:

(1) Stay in whatever is left of the Big East, forget about football, and hope for occasional basketball success as a high mid-major; or
(2) Go to the ACC when they have little choice but to accept us after they are raided by the B1G again.

Even though #2 is better for basketball, I now hope we never, ever go to the ACC. It is embarrassing and humiliating imo to join a conference whose members have treated us so badly. I would rather just remember the really good days and enjoy occasionally knocking off a big from a major conference in basketball.
It is infinitely more embarrassing to be in a conference with ECU, Tulane, SMU, San Diego State, Temple, Memphis, and the other garbage in this league. If an ACC invite comes, it is a 100% absolute positive yes. There is no question about that. Staying in the Big East will set the entire university back 20+ years, from an athletic and academic standpoint. Applications will go down, recruiting will go down, success will go down. Even a somewhat depleted ACC is better than the Big East. Heck, the MWC might be a better option than the Big East.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It is infinitely more embarrassing to be in a conference with ECU, Tulane, SMU, San Diego State, Temple, Memphis, and the other garbage in this league. If an ACC invite comes, it is a 100% absolute positive yes. There is no question about that. Staying in the Big East will set the entire university back 20+ years, from an athletic and academic standpoint. Applications will go down, recruiting will go down, success will go down. Even a somewhat depleted ACC is better than the Big East. Heck, the MWC might be a better option than the Big East.
I'm throwing logic out the window now. I want revenge. And I am more than willing to cut off my nose to spite my face. duck the ACC.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This. A thousand times, this.

And I hope and pray Jim Delany will be our savior but... I just can't go around believing / waiting for it to happen. It'd be bad for my psychological well being.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
MapofEmergingUSMegaregions.png

We're going somewhere. Wish people would stop crying.
Obscurity?

Reaction Score
If we make this thread really big would it get the B1G attention?

Reaction Score
A recipe for getting into the B1G

1. Get into the AAU (I believe we are close and that is a priority for Herbst anyway)
2. Develop very strong relations/rivalry with RU. Play them in everything - Football, Basketball, Womens Basketball...if a strong rivalry develops then we become a natural target for expansion and hopefully they'll be in our corner. (Same with Maryland, PSU - if possible)
3. Hire a bad ass football coach who can get us 10 wins annually in the NNNBE. Petrino, Tressel - go for it. After the initial media scorn, no one will really say anything once we start winning. Look at Marv Albert, Kobe Bryant, Ray Lewis, etc. - no one brings up their past anymore.
4. Do everything humanly possible to sellout the Rent consistently and get fans to travel to away games/bowl games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I went to the Rutgers Scout message board to ask about this guy and they hadn't heard of him and couldn't vouch for his credibility.

Were you ever able to track down the original post by this guy regarding Rutgers to B1G?

Was the ONLY one that called RU to B1G.

Now says we're gone.

We'll see, but personally I'd give it 8 weeks or so to play out before jumping off a bridge.

JMO - I don't claim to know anything, so anyone else's opinion is just as valid as mine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm throwing logic out the window now. I want revenge. And I am more than willing to cut off my nose to spite my face. duck the ACC.

What better pace to take revenge than from inside the league? Blowing up FSUs dreams every year. I bashing Duke and UNC. Just owning and dominating the league.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Uconn to the B1G is a done deal, then why haven't they made an announcement? Or why are some posters saying we have to wait as much as 8 weeks to find out? Louisville to the ACC happened in a day and was announced already by the conference.

Reaction Score
If Uconn to the B1G is a done deal, then why haven't they made an announcement? Or why are some posters saying we have to wait as much as 8 weeks to find out? Louisville to the ACC happened in a day and was announced already by the conference.

because its not a done deal. See wasn't that easy

Reaction Score
ACC B1G game - announcer personally gauranteed realignment is not over for b1g or acc....this isn't over. #B1GHARDER

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is far from a done deal. It is however inevitable.

Reaction Score
Its a done deal that is not done yet but is expected to be done at some point in order for it to be done if its meant to be done. Duh.

Reaction Score

I'd like to get everyone's take on why they thought before if we didn't get an invite to the ACC then we must have a invite to the B1G in our back pocket. Several referenced the silence out of Storrs as a positive, and then talked about Delany's press conference referencing Southern New England. Anything else? This video reminds me of a lot of you.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Try to be patient. Nobody said that they are getting in the B1G today or tomorrow. I'll own what I have said the last couple of days. The combination of UConn releasing AAU stats, hiring a new VP of Communications from a B1G school, and all of the comments that emphasize academics, research and southern New England, all point to UConn angling for a B1G invite. Could it be posturing on UConn's behalf, similar to a baseball free agent trying to strum up interest in a second team to boost his value? Sure. But if AAU membership and TV market reach are truly important to the B1G, then UConn is positioning itself quite nicely.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt if UConn can win on Saturday in front of 40,000, get to a bowl game, and sell its allotment of tickets. Maybe even start spreading some rumors about expanding the Rent to 60-65,000 seats.

I still think UConn and the B1G make sense. It's just my opinion reading between the lines that I learned on the street (great clip, by the way) and Googling AAU facts that I posted on a different thread. There seems to be a battle between the B1G and the ACC brewing and a great counterpunch by Delany would be to secure the markets that UConn and possibly UVA can bring. It makes sense.

Reaction Score

USS Connecticut (SSN-22), a Seawolf-class submarine, is the fifth ship of the United States Navy to be named for the fifth state.

Like some stealth motherf*&^ers we chart our own course, f#$% the ACC, lets get Spackler on this and have some 16 paragraph treatise on how we'll overcome and shock the world.

Can I swab the decks on your boat, Oh captain my captain HFD?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
USS Connecticut (SSN-22), a Seawolf-class submarine, is the fifth ship of the United States Navy to be named for the fifth state.

Like some stealth motherf*&^ers we chart our own course, f#$% the ACC, lets get Spackler on this and have some 16 paragraph treatise on how we'll overcome and shock the world.

Can I swab the decks on your boat, Oh captain my captain HFD?

yea u can. but i must inform you i didn't aquire the sub. just the main ship
images
bb-18

carl told me he can have back when needed with the subs. carl drove a hard price so i couldnt aford the whole fleet yet. i will expand the fleet when enough ppl get on board this.

Reaction Score
I think they take UVA, make a hard run @ ND and then UNC.

I see UVA saying yes, ND no and possibly UNC declining. So we get in play then and have a real chance. Worst case we're in play for ACC, whatever is left.

Timetable 6-24 months??

Reaction Score
**** yea u can. but i must inform you i didn't aquire the sub. just the main ship
images
bb-18

carl told me he can have back when needed with the subs. carl drove a hard price so i couldnt aford the whole fleet yet. i will expand the fleet when enough ppl get on board this.

There have been five USS Connecticuts in naval history so we have five to crew. Lets get on this and form our own fleet.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
There have been five USS Connecticuts in naval history so we have five to crew. Lets get on this and form our own fleet.

i like your agressiveness. lets do this

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Permission to come aboard, Cap'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics