Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

Reaction Score
This discussion will decided next season on the court.
" There are no facts.... only interpretations" F.W.N. and
"One must separate from anything that forces one to
repeat "No" again and again." (Ecco Homo)
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844 - 1900 )

Reaction Score
Yes the GMs were obviously wrong about Liv as I told you .. In her 1st pre-season game Liv had an incredible game with 15 points, 12 rebounds, 5 Assists, 2 blocked shots and 1 steal in 35 minutes .. she should have been a high 1st round pick if the GMs were doing their jobs, eh?
Talk to us after she plays a full season

Reaction Score
It worries me that Connecticut may be wasting time with a generational player on the hopes that unproven and under achieving players will come up big next year. I think the majority of people believe that with Dorka Connecticut would have stood a better chance against South Carolina which highlights the need for an experienced third big and yet we may go into next year without that. I understand that there is loyalty to the players but there is also loyalty to the program and if there was a obvious hole that could’ve been filled but wasn’t because some younger inexperienced players would not be happy that’s a tough one to swallow. I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t another player in the portal that could’ve stepped in and been as effective as Darko was this year. With three starters leaving playing time still could’ve been spread out. I truly believe Geno and his staff are the best in The business and may not be maximizing Paige’s time at UConn
UCONN made the Final Four in 2021 with Liv and the Freshman Edwards as the top two "Bigs" and a banged up Evina, and also had Griff.

Why can't 2022-2023 be much superior to 2021? For example, why can't you believe that possibly at least one of Patterson/Brady (number 4 and 5 ranked recruits) will be better than what Edwards was as a freshman? And they would be the 3rd "big" vs having to have Edwards as the 2nd "big." Patterson and Brady are projected to be better than what Edwards was as a frosh, aren't they? So it's possible even both might be.

So, why can’t you also assume that the combo of Dorka and Edwards starting would be superior to the last 2 years best two bigs frontcourt?

SO how is the above "not showing loyalty to the program" when the frontcourt is probably better than the last two years? As you acknowledge there was no Dorka late and yet we saw UCONN got to Finals and beat Stanford, of all teams. The same type of teams you or someone with your type of thought were probably making this type of post last year using Stanford as the barometer.

Reaction Score
Excuse me.
Top or the key ain’t anywhere near the “paint.”
Outside the elbow is closer, but still Not in your “paint”.
Wherever they are stationed, they’re not close enough (drumroll please)
—>post cartoon here<—to box out or rebound.
And, your explanation for “generational players” at the same position being a year apart????
You're obviously unaware that the period of time called a generation, previously thought to be a goodly or long amount of time, has been shortened to 4 years or less. And for the good and convenience of WBB and fans who like to embellish, the descriptions of "really good", "almost great", and "one of the best" have been replaced by "generational". This is so all teams and their fans can claim to have had at least a couple and possibly more. Thanks for your question. ;)

Reaction Score
1)-yes, Dorka will somewhat fill the void.
But was ineffectual in SC first meeting when USC DOMINATED, once again, on the boards.
And while I do have great affection for Aubrey nothing, to this point of her Husky career, indicates that she will provide much more than a nominal contribution.
2)-Coach has recruited some future relief. But it is the opinion of most that “bigs” require more time to adjust to the D-1 game.
3)-apparently , you’re hanging your hat on meteoric improvement of Amari.
Less than even money on that one.
Improvement, sure, but she’s got a long way to go -based on what she’s shown so far- to contribute in a big way. At this this point, I consider a disappointment.
Aayliah will need to continue her trend line-not take steps backward as she did early last season.
Next year will be year 3 of Paige’s career at Storrs-3/4 over.
IMHO- unless offense can be calibrated to bring our size closer to the net and they learn to BOX OUT, we’ll top out in the Final four again next year.
I do not understand why we continually keep Edwards et al at the top of the key or outside the elbow looking to pass.
That is not a shot that really needs to be defended.
I would use that as more of a different look.
Let the shooters hunt, screen for each other or get to “their” spots to pull the trigger.
It would be a crying shame for Paige to end her UCONN career with only one Championship ( and Azzi with two).
JMHO and respectfully submitted.
Watch the SC game from two years ago and we beat SC with the same team they put on the floor against us this year. Aubrey was very effective guarding Saxton and Liv did a credible job against Boston. I look forward to meeting them next year with a healthy team. I think having Lou and Caroline as additional scorers will help. They had no answer for Caroline quick jump hook down low. What a quick release. Lou is taller and get good lift on her jumper hard to stop. I think we can beat them

Reaction Score
Stymie, at some point you’re going to have to give credit to Dawn and SC for putting together a juggernaut of a team. UConn took on and beat 4 outstanding teams on their way to the championship game. In that game, against the best rebounding team in the country, 2 frontcourt players were out, another frontcourt player was playing injured along with our big, rebounding guard who sometimes plays the 4. Throw in the fact that our best shooter was sick, and It’s pretty damned apparent that UConn didn’t have the horses to beat SC on that night.

I and most of UConn’s fans accept that. We are delighted with what the Huskies achieved this past season. We are looking forward to next season. SC will once again be very good. So will UConn. If you want to spend the next 6-7 months lamenting the loss in the championship game, so be it. Most of the rest of us will be looking forward to next season with great hope and expectations.
I do give her credit.
Slapped the taste out of our mouths twice last year.
The point is for fans to discuss effective countermeasures to prevent this from happening again next year.
They’re just discussions
Based on Coaches addition of Amari and two bigs coming in next year, I surmise that Coach has identified the shortcoming.
I just feel some adjustments might be in order until they’re ready for prime time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This discussion will decided next season on the court.
" There are no facts.... only interpretations" F.W.N. and
"One must separate from anything that forces one to
repeat "No" again and again." (Ecco Homo)
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844 - 1900 )
:eek: This discussion has nothing to do with what will happen on the court next year stop kidding yourself.

“Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
:eek: Powerball drawings are held three times a week, every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.
Wait...... That was kind of your point wasn't it. :D

You Know It Good Job GIF by Curious Pavel
It was also a “team sport” in the NCAA Finals, when again UCONN got the bejesus knocked out of them under the boards.
UCONN will find it very difficult to win another championship if and until the shortcomings in the paint are addressed.
Unless the team can shoot 47% from three and 58% overall.
Possible?
Yes.
And I might win POWERBALL this Friday.
I believe a winning ticket was purchased in AZ for yesterday's drawing. You might wait a few weeks before playing again, just to make it "worthwhile".

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Excuse me.
Top or the key ain’t anywhere near the “paint.”
Outside the elbow is closer, but still Not in your “paint”.
Wherever they are stationed, they’re not close enough (drumroll please)
—>post cartoon here<—to box out or rebound.

And, your explanation for “generational players” at the same position being a year apart????
I agree that this is a dead horse and I really hesitate to keep pumping oxygen into it, but I feel obliged to point out that where UConn's posts are positioned on offense has absolutely nothing to do with their inability in the championship game to get DEFENSIVE rebounds, and that is how SC beat UConn in that game. UConn could not clear its defensive boards, and SC got a ton of second-chance points.

If UConn could have figured out how to clear the defensive boards, the offense that they actually ran would have been adequate to win the game -- even without more offensive rebounds. I don't have an explanation for why UConn wasn't able to do that, especially since they were able to rebound adequately against other big and strong teams such as Stanford, NC State, and Tennessee. Certainly Dorka's injury had something to do with it, but that is not the full explanation. People say that UConn only beat Stanford because the Cardinal shooting was uncharacteristically poor, but that would not have mattered if they had gotten as many O-bounds as SC did.

I would be interested to hear an explanation (from someone who does not have an ax to grind or a dead horse to beat) for why UConn was not able to box out SC at the defensive end sufficiently to keep the second-chance points more in balance.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would be interested to hear an explanation (from someone who does not have an ax to grind or a dead horse to beat) for why UConn was not able to box out SC at the defensive end sufficiently to keep the second-chance points more in balance.
The explanation is profoundly simple: For each positional matchup the South Carolina player was either taller and or quicker than the UCONN player and UCONN merely boxing out was not sufficient.

Details:
Aaliyah Boston was much quicker than a compromised ONO
Henderson was quicker than a not completely healed Paige
Cooke is/was quicker than Azzi Fudd
Brea Beal is/was quicker than Christyn Williams
Victoria Saxton is/was quicker than AE.

When South Carolina went to the bench:
Cardoso was matched up with Evina Westbrook and giving away 7 inches of height in the process resulting in Evina being nicked up in this game.
LeLe Grissette and Leticia Amihere are both taller and quicker than Caroline Ducharme.
Saniya Rivers and Bree Hall are both taller and quicker than Nika.

To South Carolina's credit and UCONN's detriment SC was not satisfied with winning the individual defensive matchups. SC doubled down and compounded their advantage with decisive switching on the perimeter. Think about this for a second: South Carolina block 4 shots during this game. 3 of the 4 blocked shots were off perimeter switches and came from three different players ( Boston, Beal, Saxton). This was really a defensive masterclass and this is what UCONN used to do to other teams.

Reaction Score
I agree that this is a dead horse and I really hesitate to keep pumping oxygen into it, but I feel obliged to point out that where UConn's posts are positioned on offense has absolutely nothing to do with their inability in the championship game to get DEFENSIVE rebounds, and that is how SC beat UConn in that game. UConn could not clear its defensive boards, and SC got a ton of second-chance points.

If UConn could have figured out how to clear the defensive boards, the offense that they actually ran would have been adequate to win the game -- even without more offensive rebounds. I don't have an explanation for why UConn wasn't able to do that, especially since they were able to rebound adequately against other big and strong teams such as Stanford, NC State, and Tennessee. Certainly Dorka's injury had something to do with it, but that is not the full explanation. People say that UConn only beat Stanford because the Cardinal shooting was uncharacteristically poor, but that would not have mattered if they had gotten as many O-bounds as SC did.

Whew.
Glad we figured out the problem.
Apparently our guards weren’t getting enough rebounds.

Reaction Score
I think some are too hung up on the rebound differential. Of course you don't win games very often when you are out-rebounded by 24, but why would anyone think that is the normal difference between the two teams. Liv was injured, Dorka was missing, Aubrey missed the whole season, and Aaliyah all season had rebounding numbers that were not even close to her freshmen season.

South Carolina's main strength as a team is rebounding. I think they averaged out-rebounding their opponents by 17 a game which is huge. But we are an above average rebounding team too but not by anywhere close to their margin. I don't have it in front of me but I think our margin was closer to 7 or somewhere in that ballpark.

So if we had last year's team healthy with Dorka available and Liv not injured, I might have expected us to get out-rebounded by SC by 8-10 or something like that. Now looking at next year our best rebounder per minute from last year (Dorka) will likely see more minutes per game as a starter at C. If our PF Aaliyah plays like she did as a freshmen instead of her sophomore year, that is a major boost to rebounding. Aubrey if she returns is a great rebounder. Ayanna and Ice have physical skills that should translate to good rebounders, and maybe Amari will help there.

In short there are many reasons why we could be a better rebounding team next year. Better than South Carolina on the boards? maybe not, but much much closer than the championship game, and in other areas we have the advantage.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So your answer is to remake the offense to pack everyone in the paint? Ignoring the fact that UConn’s 4-out, motion offense was plenty good enough to beat UCF, IN, NC St & Stanford. But hey, what does Geno know about basketball. Why don’t you give him call and let him know your suggestion. ;)

Oh, by the way. When Geno changes his offense to pack the paint, hammer the boards with little movement or creativity, don’t be surprised when generational guards like Paige & Azzi no longer decide to come to UConn.
and fans say thanks but no thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think some are too hung up on the rebound differential. Of course you don't win games very often when you are out-rebounded by 24, but why would anyone think that is the normal difference between the two teams.
Maybe because the rebounding differential in the first game was -17? Maybe because the South Carolina rebounding differential on the season was +19 against all teams=#1 in the country? Maybe because even in a game which UCONN won in OT against SC in 2020-21 season the rebounding differential was -13? Maybe because UCONN had never lost the rebound margin to SC Carolina until Boston began wearing a SC uniform? This is very much about the rebound margin-I wish it wasn't but it is.

Reaction Score
... Maybe because even in a game which UCONN won in OT against SC in 2020-21 season the rebounding differential was -13?
Doesn't this one argue against your point? We won the game despite losing the rebounding struggle. I grant that it took some Paige magic to win that game. But that's always going to be true of the most competitive games. I'm not arguing that we shouldn't try to rebound better. However, like others here I don't see a solution to this problem in the portal, or in packing the paint on D. We need to execute better and avoid foul trouble and win on the strengths we have. Last year, that strength was not shooting, this year shooting was better but we got to the NC game with D (which stands for both Defense and Dorka in this context). What will next year bring? I'm hoping even more consistent shooting options and even better D. I predict/hope we'll win the NC even though we lose the rebounding battle by 10 or more.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
No, I have a number of answers:
  1. Get Aubrey & Dorka healthy
  2. Recruit several big, strong frontcourt players, (i.e. Ice & Ayanna)
  3. Develop our 6’5” freshman post. (Note that Amari is spending the summer on campus working to get fitter & stronger and improve her game)
You’ve been beating this dead horse for several weeks now. So what exactly is your answer? And don’t say, “Hit the portal for a transfer.” Tell me which transfer and why she’s the difference vs SC.
Agree with you oldude. The portal is not in may cases the answer. For many not all the kids in portal, if they dont play for the team theyre on they most likely wont play for UConn. A fifth year senior may be the answer but many are not. My first question is why are they in the portal? Is it just for playtime? For many yes. It could also be for attitude, not up to speed yet. Alot of reasons. Geno has many top kids who he hand picks. They have to qualify if you will to play for UConn. They have to have the goodies to play for UConn. Think about this....if you bring in another player how does that affect the player who paid their dues waiting for playtime. Most likely they will leave and then what? How will that affect other players on the team. Saylor and Mir left for more playtime. They saw what they thought was the writing on the wall with the players ahead of them and those coming in. IMO that may have been premature but they did what they thought was best for them. Top players go to a school to play not sit. If your good and not playing you can transfer and get the school you like if not then your just sitting in the portal and most likely going to a lesser school to play.

Boston is a big big. There arent more the one of two out there and they dont have her skills. My question is why did Boston attend so many UConn games and then go to SC????? Why did Cardoso say she wanted to play for UConn and then go to SC??? Why did Toomey who loved Stewie and UConn go to UNC???? That was a shocker and many are still in disbelief. I dont want to hear its Geno or his recruiting either. UConn and Geno have nothing to prove. Their results are proof. Just something to think about.

Reaction Score
Agree with you oldude. . . .

Boston is a big big. There arent more the one of two out there and they dont have her skills. My question is why did Boston attend so many UConn games and then go to SC????? Why did Cardoso say she wanted to play for UConn and then go to SC??? Why did Toomey who loved Stewie and UConn go to UNC???? That was a shocker and many are still in disbelief. I dont want to hear its Geno or his recruiting either. UConn and Geno have nothing to prove. Their results are proof. Just something to think about.
I don't think there is any evidence to support that she ever said that - to my knowledge. World Exposure Report predicted her to UConn or Auburn - but they defy the twice a day clock adage in their portal predictions.

Reaction Score
Agree with you oldude. The portal is not in may cases the answer. For many not all the kids in portal, if they dont play for the team theyre on they most likely wont play for UConn. A fifth year senior may be the answer but many are not. My first question is why are they in the portal? Is it just for playtime? For many yes. It could also be for attitude, not up to speed yet. Alot of reasons. Geno has many top kids who he hand picks. They have to qualify if you will to play for UConn. They have to have the goodies to play for UConn. Think about this....if you bring in another player how does that affect the player who paid their dues waiting for playtime. Most likely they will leave and then what? How will that affect other players on the team. Saylor and Mir left for more playtime. They saw what they thought was the writing on the wall with the players ahead of them and those coming in. IMO that may have been premature but they did what they thought was best for them. Top players go to a school to play not sit. If your good and not playing you can transfer and get the school you like if not then your just sitting in the portal and most likely going to a lesser school to play.

Do you have a link to where Cardoso ever said she wanted to play at UConn? And when did Toomey ever say she loved UConn? Stewart may have been her favorite player but how did that escalate to loving UConn?

Reaction Score
Do you have a link to where Cardoso ever said she wanted to play at UConn? And when did Toomey ever say she loved UConn? Stewart may have been her favorite player but how did that escalate to loving UConn?
every great recruit loves UConn...... didn't you know?........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

I give up I don’t know what to think about. It couldn’t be playing time because Boston would’ve beaten out whoever we had and Cardoza would have come in before they got Dorka. Maybe Toomey was thinking about that with this year’s recruits and Caroline sitting at the 3/4 but the other two would’ve had time. Is it the school is it the climate is it the intensity of the program.Are you getting at something that a Connecticut alumni only knows about. I am at a loss at what you are alluding to. A little Clarity please

Reaction Score
The explanation is profoundly simple: For each positional matchup the South Carolina player was either taller and or quicker than the UCONN player and UCONN merely boxing out was not sufficient.

Details:
Aaliyah Boston was much quicker than a compromised ONO
Henderson was quicker than a not completely healed Paige
Cooke is/was quicker than Azzi Fudd
Brea Beal is/was quicker than Christyn Williams
Victoria Saxton is/was quicker than AE.

When South Carolina went to the bench:
Cardoso was matched up with Evina Westbrook and giving away 7 inches of height in the process resulting in Evina being nicked up in this game.
LeLe Grissette and Leticia Amihere are both taller and quicker than Caroline Ducharme.
Saniya Rivers and Bree Hall are both taller and quicker than Nika.

To South Carolina's credit and UCONN's detriment SC was not satisfied with winning the individual defensive matchups. SC doubled down and compounded their advantage with decisive switching on the perimeter. Think about this for a second: South Carolina block 4 shots during this game. 3 of the 4 blocked shots were off perimeter switches and came from three different players ( Boston, Beal, Saxton). This was really a defensive masterclass and this is what UCONN used to do to other teams.
Not only was South Carolina quicker but their post players were definitely stronger. Olivia had the injury problem and Saxton is pretty much a beast. If you watch the free throws that Carolina takes you can see how often our Bigs got pushed under the basket allowing Carolina the rebound. I do think Dorka would have helped on that front but I don’t believe it would’ve provided a win. Which is why I’ve been on my soapbox campaigning for a bigger bodied defensive minded post who doesn’t mind banging down low. The problem is who is that post idk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom