Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

Reaction Score
After watching that video I think she'd be worth a look see by Geno & staff!
You can't teach height and at 6'6" Kennedy Brown has some good feet and hands and with the best coaching staff in WCBB they can get some success out of her!
She already committed to Duke 3 days ago.

Reaction Score
:eek: Yea Morrow's game really "suffered" once she came to UCONN after all she only grabbed 16 rebounds (above her season average) and only scored 20 points (2 points below her season average). Quick question: Did UCONN have a front court player "suffer" this badly all season -with 20 Point and 16 Rebounds in the same game I mean? That kind of "suffering" is definitely something we should all be looking forward to.
I don't know about you but to me 20 pts is less than 30. And you can just watch the game tape and you'll see that she wasn't the dominating factor in the second game she was in the first. Part of this is that Dorka and AE managed not to foul her so much -- only 1 for 1 on FTs as opposed to 8 for 9 -- and stayed out of foul trouble themselves. In the first game, Liv fouled out, and Dorka and CD had 4 each while Morrow only had 2. This meant she could dominate the paint and did. By contrast, in the second game Morrow had 4 fouls and Dorka had 1, and DePaul never threatened after the first 5 minutes. Sure she got 20 points, but they meant nothing.

Reaction Score
I don't know about you but to me 20 pts is less than 30. And you can just watch the game tape and you'll see that she wasn't the dominating factor in the second game she was in the first. Part of this is that Dorka and AE managed not to foul her so much -- only 1 for 1 on FTs as opposed to 8 for 9 -- and stayed out of foul trouble themselves. In the first game, Liv fouled out, and Dorka and CD had 4 each while Morrow only had 2. This meant she could dominate the paint and did. By contrast, in the second game Morrow had 4 fouls and Dorka had 1, and DePaul never threatened after the first 5 minutes. Sure she got 20 points, but they meant nothing.
You're spot on regarding Game 2.

45% shooting from Morrow is not "dominating." Not sure what these posters are thinking. To make matters worse whichever the player Morrow was guarding whether it be Dorka (8-12) or Edwards (8-13) - they were shooting a combined 64% from the floor. Would love to hear an explanation how 45% 2pt% on Offense and allowing 64% playing "Matador" Defense at the other end is somehow twisted into "Morrow beat up UCONN twice."

The negative posters have no problem sticking it to UCONN if they are at the other end of this. But when its'; the UCONN Frontcourt holding the offensive player to 45% from 2 while shooting 64% it all doesn't matter --because they are frustrated that UCONN lost in the Finals. The Horror of it all losing in the Finals. So, instead, let's exaggerate that even when an opposing very good post player has a sub-par game against UCONN, let’s go and rip the UCONN Frontcourt anyway because that's the narrative we want to project regardless of what the stats show for that one game of lousy shooting by the other player and matador defense at the other end.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Morrow's teammates are not good enough to seriously threaten UCONN. That does not change the fact that she is a terrific player.
How terrific? Terrific enough for you to consider holding her to 20 points and 16 rebounds a significant accomplishments after she dropped 30 and 14 in the first meeting. Truly laughable that you think 20 points + 16 rebounds "means nothing".

Opponents to score 20 points or more against UCONN this season.
Aaliyah Boston
Park-Lane Seton Hall
Chrisma Osbourne UCLA
Paopao,Te-Hina-Oregon
Bailey,Kadaja- St Johns
Morrow,Aneesah DePaul
Crooms,Janai.- Providence
Horston,Jordan-TN
Morrow,Aneesah. Depaul
Brown-Turner,Jakia NC St
Jones,Haley-Stanford
Henderson,Destanni.

What these numbers should tell you is that Morrow is "statistically" the best front court performer UCONN played this year.

Reaction Score
Morrow's teammates are not good enough to seriously threaten UCONN. That does not change the fact that she is a terrific player.
How terrific? Terrific enough for you to consider holding her to 20 points and 16 rebounds a significant accomplishments after she dropped 30 and 14 in the first meeting. Truly laughable that you think 20 points + 16 rebounds "means nothing".

Opponents to score 20 points or more against UCONN this season.
Aaliyah Boston
Park-Lane Seton Hall
Chrisma Osbourne UCLA
Paopao,Te-Hina-Oregon
Bailey,Kadaja- St Johns
Morrow,Aneesah DePaul
Crooms,Janai.- Providence
Horston,Jordan-TN
Morrow,Aneesah. Depaul
Brown-Turner,Jakia NC St
Jones,Haley-Stanford
Henderson,Destanni.

What these numbers should tell you is that Morrow is "statistically" the best front court performer UCONN played this year.
I agree about this last bit. Morrow is an awesome talent. Beating DePaul will often mean letting her score 20 and shutting down the rest of the team. This is often the case in victories — you don’t always have to shut down their best player if you can render the rest of the team incapable of winning.

I recall the Celtics routinely getting past the Bulls in the playoffs in the early Jordan years in just this way. Michael would score 40 or 50 and the team would lose.

I also think you’d be right to say that our front court defense wasn’t up to holding Morrow under 20 or keeping her off the boards. As I recall, during the second game Meg Culmo praised Dorka especially for avoiding fouling her, keeping the arms straight up, challenging a shot instead of always trying to block it, as a good strategy. I think she was absolutely right. Part of Morrow’s game is to get the other team’s front court in foul trouble. She gets a lot more dangerous, and so does the rest of the team, if you have to play her in fear of fouling out. Take that part of her game away and she scores 20 but they lose.

And the whole thing is magnified if you have to play her in Chicago and partial refs let her get away with the same fouls they quickly called on Liv and AE. Morrow is awesome, and we should all look forward to some great games against her in the next few years. And when she gets her own D under control so she avoids foul trouble she’ll be even more formidable than she already is. Those games will be marvelous chess matches between Geno and Doug.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It worries me that Connecticut may be wasting time with a generational player on the hopes that unproven and under achieving players will come up big next year. I think the majority of people believe that with Dorka Connecticut would have stood a better chance against South Carolina which highlights the need for an experienced third big and yet we may go into next year without that. I understand that there is loyalty to the players but there is also loyalty to the program and if there was a obvious hole that could’ve been filled but wasn’t because some younger inexperienced players would not be happy that’s a tough one to swallow. I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t another player in the portal that could’ve stepped in and been as effective as Darko was this year. With three starters leaving playing time still could’ve been spread out. I truly believe Geno and his staff are the best in The business and may not be maximizing Paige’s time at UConn

Reaction Score
It worries me that Connecticut may be wasting time with a generational player on the hopes that unproven and under achieving players will come up big next year. I think the majority of people believe that with Dorka Connecticut would have stood a better chance against South Carolina which highlights the need for an experienced third big and yet we may go into next year without that. I understand that there is loyalty to the players but there is also loyalty to the program and if there was a obvious hole that could’ve been filled but wasn’t because some younger inexperienced players would not be happy that’s a tough one to swallow. I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t another player in the portal that could’ve stepped in and been as effective as Darko was this year. With three starters leaving playing time still could’ve been spread out. I truly believe Geno and his staff are the best in The business and may not be maximizing Paige’s time at UConn
I worry about your closing thought all the time paradoxical as it is. Paige only has so much time with us. Watching her play as a freshman was a revelation. Watching the beginning of this year promised even greater things. Even that horrific game against ND was awe inspiring until the last couple minutes.

[I particularly loved the way she turned the tables on them in the second half -- they'd been getting phony foul calls with some good acting in the first half, and in one brief stretch she hung a bunch of genuine ones on them. A real shot across the bow!]

The games she put together against IU, NC State and Stanford were like a glimmer of what could have been. Though as some have pointed out, if she'd been doing that all season long, the rest of the team might not have developed. They seem to love watching her as much as we do!

Reaction Score
The fine line to navigate is selling UCONN’s commitment to the athletes they recruit-giving them the time to learn the system as well as develop individually, as opposed to plugging in a temp (transfer) and depriving them (underclass athletes) the time to flourish.
The former strengthens Geno’s recruiting hand/the latter weakens it.
Filling upperclass roster openings via the portal allows coach to honor his commitments on the recruiting trail.
With the portal as it is now, it is the only way to maintain a full roster.
Couple of outgoing transfers, couple of injuries and you’re behind the 8-ball.
(I.E.-Huskies 2021-2022)

Reaction Score
I don't think there was a post as good as Dorka available in the portal this year..........that ship sailed with Cardoso last year.......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think there was a post as good as Dorka available in the portal this year..........that ship sailed with Cardoso last year.......
I’ll go you one better. For UConn’s offense, I don’t think there was a post as good as Dorka in the portal last year either. Before I get inundated with SC fans disagreeing with that comment, let me just say that it’s not that I don’t think Cardoso is a good player. It’s simply that Dorka’s ability to pass the ball and shoot from distance makes her a much better fit for UConn’s system than Cardoso.

Reaction Score
:eek:. Morrow averaged 25 PPG and 15 RPG in two meetings against UCONN this season-Her Freshman campaign. I'd say she pretty much kicked butt unless you can name me another player that took it to UCONN and put up those kinds of numbers in consecutive games EVER.
The better "team" won. It is still a team sport. If you want to note one player in that "nail biter" game it came
down to the last few minutes and one person: Caroline. No discredit to Ms Morrow intended., but Q 4 is "crunch" time.

Reaction Score
The better "team" won. It is still a team sport. If you want to note one player in that "nail biter" game it came
down to the last few minutes and one person: Caroline. No discredit to Ms Morrow intended., but Q 4 is "crunch" time.
It was also a “team sport” in the NCAA Finals, when again UCONN got the bejesus knocked out of them under the boards.
UCONN will find it very difficult to win another championship if and until the shortcomings in the paint are addressed.
Unless the team can shoot 47% from three and 58% overall.
Possible?
Yes.
And I might win POWERBALL this Friday.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was also a “team sport” in the NCAA Finals, when again UCONN got the bejesus knocked out of them under the boards.
UCONN will find it very difficult to win another championship if and until the shortcomings in the paint are addressed.
Possible?
Yes.
Still not willing to let it go……Head bang

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pretty funny.
Guess that means you have no answer besides “ shoot better?”
HaHaHaHa
No, I have a number of answers:
  1. Get Aubrey & Dorka healthy
  2. Recruit several big, strong frontcourt players, (i.e. Ice & Ayanna)
  3. Develop our 6’5” freshman post. (Note that Amari is spending the summer on campus working to get fitter & stronger and improve her game)
You’ve been beating this dead horse for several weeks now. So what exactly is your answer? And don’t say, “Hit the portal for a transfer.” Tell me which transfer and why she’s the difference vs SC.

Reaction Score
1)-yes, Dorka will somewhat fill the void.
But was ineffectual in SC first meeting when USC DOMINATED, once again, on the boards.
And while I do have great affection for Aubrey nothing, to this point of her Husky career, indicates that she will provide much more than a nominal contribution.
2)-Coach has recruited some future relief. But it is the opinion of most that “bigs” require more time to adjust to the D-1 game.
3)-apparently , you’re hanging your hat on meteoric improvement of Amari.
Less than even money on that one.
Improvement, sure, but she’s got a long way to go -based on what she’s shown so far- to contribute in a big way. At this this point, I consider a disappointment.
Aayliah will need to continue her trend line-not take steps backward as she did early last season.
Next year will be year 3 of Paige’s career at Storrs-3/4 over.
IMHO- unless offense can be calibrated to bring our size closer to the net and they learn to BOX OUT, we’ll top out in the Final four again next year.
I do not understand why we continually keep Edwards et al at the top of the key or outside the elbow looking to pass.
That is not a shot that really needs to be defended.
I would use that as more of a different look.
Let the shooters hunt, screen for each other or get to “their” spots to pull the trigger.
It would be a crying shame for Paige to end her UCONN career with only one Championship ( and Azzi with two).
JMHO and respectfully submitted.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1)-yes, Dorka will somewhat fill the void.
But was ineffectual in SC first meeting when USC DOMINATED, once again, on the boards.
And while I do have great affection for Aubrey nothing, to this point of her Husky career, indicates that she will provide much more than a nominal contribution.
2)-Coach has recruited some future relief. But it is the opinion of most that “bigs” require more time to adjust to the D-1 game.
3)-apparently , you’re hanging your hat on meteoric improvement of Amari.
Less than even money on that one.
Improvement, sure, but she’s got a long way to go -based on what she’s shown so far- to contribute in a big way. At this this point, I consider a disappointment.
Aayliah will need to continue her trend line-not take steps backward as she did early last season.
Next year will be year 3 of Paige’s career at Storrs-3/4 over.
IMHO- unless offense can be calibrated to bring our size closer to the net and they learn to BOX OUT, we’ll top out in the Final four again next year.
I do not understand why we continually keep Edwards et al at the top of the key or outside the elbow looking to pass.
That is not a shot that really needs to be defended.
I would use that as more of a different look.
Let the shooters hunt, screen for each other or get to “their” spots to pull the trigger.
It would be a crying shame for Paige to end her UCONN career with only one Championship ( and Azzi with two).
JMHO and respectfully submitted.
So your answer is to remake the offense to pack everyone in the paint? Ignoring the fact that UConn’s 4-out, motion offense was plenty good enough to beat UCF, IN, NC St & Stanford. But hey, what does Geno know about basketball. Why don’t you give him call and let him know your suggestion. ;)

Oh, by the way. When Geno changes his offense to pack the paint, hammer the boards with little movement or creativity, don’t be surprised when generational guards like Paige & Azzi no longer decide to come to UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So your answer is to remake the offense to pack everyone in the paint? Ignoring the fact that UConn’s 4-out, motion offense was plenty good enough to beat UCF, IN, NC St & Stanford. But hey, what does Geno know about basketball. Why don’t you give him call and let him know your suggestion. ;)

Oh, by the way. When Geno changes his offense to pack the paint, hammer the boards with little movement or creativity, don’t be surprised when generational guards like Paige & Azzi no longer decide to come to UConn.
A)-I never suggested “packing the paint”.
B)-Even the most accomplished marksman needs to adjust their scope now and again.
And how can “ generational guards be one year apart??
Riddle me this, Batman....

Reaction Score
When I was a young man, we used to say, "there ought to be a law," when we were about to offer some panacea for society's ills. Sure, the HoF coach needs my little bit of armchair wisdom to fix it all. There ought to be a law!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A)-I never suggested “packing the paint”.
Excuse me. Your exact suggestion was to, “bring our size closer to the net.” In an era when teams are spreading the floor, running motion offenses and shooting lots of 3-pt shots, that sounds like a return to the dark ages.

Reaction Score
Excuse me. Your exact suggestion was to, “bring our size closer to the net.” In an era when teams are spreading the floor, running motion offenses and shooting lots of 3-pt shots, that sounds like a return to the dark ages.
Excuse me.
Top or the key ain’t anywhere near the “paint.”
Outside the elbow is closer, but still Not in your “paint”.
Wherever they are stationed, they’re not close enough (drumroll please)
—>post cartoon here<—to box out or rebound.
And, your explanation for “generational players” at the same position being a year apart????

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Excuse me.
Top or the key ain’t anywhere near the “paint.”
Outside the elbow is closer, but still Not in your “paint”.
Wherever they are stationed, they’re not close enough (drumroll please)
—>post cartoon here<—to box out or rebound.
And, your explanation for “generational players” at the same position being a year apart????
Stymie, at some point you’re going to have to give credit to Dawn and SC for putting together a juggernaut of a team. UConn took on and beat 4 outstanding teams on their way to the championship game. In that game, against the best rebounding team in the country, 2 frontcourt players were out, another frontcourt player was playing injured along with our big, rebounding guard who sometimes plays the 4. Throw in the fact that our best shooter was sick, and It’s pretty damned apparent that UConn didn’t have the horses to beat SC on that night.

I and most of UConn’s fans accept that. We are delighted with what the Huskies achieved this past season. We are looking forward to next season. SC will once again be very good. So will UConn. If you want to spend the next 6-7 months lamenting the loss in the championship game, so be it. Most of the rest of us will be looking forward to next season with great hope and expectations.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Possible?
Yes.
:eek: Powerball drawings are held three times a week, every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.
Wait...... That was kind of your point wasn't it. :D

You Know It Good Job GIF by Curious Pavel

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom