Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The key to UConn’s next championship? Geno Auriemma focused on development of Edwards, Juhasz, DeBerry

Some insight in relation to DeBerry's practice mentality and how it related to playing time.

"Speaking generally about what it takes for any player to earn playing at UConn, he said, “I want to win. But at the same time you want to instill in your team and your players that there’s a certain work ethic you have to have in order to be a championship kind of kid and a championship team. I know coaches who say, ‘I don’t care how they practice, I’m going to play them anyway.’ That’s your prerogative. You can do that if you’re only trying to build a good team that year. We’re trying to do what we’ve been doing. We’re trying to put ourselves in the Final Four every year, forever. And you don’t do that by handing playing time to anybody and creating a culture of, ‘What difference does it make if we come here and work at it?’”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is an interesting article. It appears that Geno is weighing whether or not to play the hand he has next season as far as frontcourt players are concerned or to dip into the transfer portal for another Big.

Much of UConn’s ability to make it back to the FF next year, and perhaps overcome the enormous challenge posed by SC & Boston, comes down to the development of Amari DeBerry, a 6’5” post. Amari needs to improve her conditioning and agressiveness but she definitely has the skill set to become a dominant post player.

I am heartened to know that Amari plans to stay on campus over the summer to work with Andrea Hudy, as well as the coaches. She is most certainly the X-factor going into next season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is an interesting article. It appears that Geno is weighing whether or not to play the hand he has next season as far as frontcourt players are concerned or to dip into the transfer portal for another Big.

Much of UConn’s ability to make it back to the FF next year, and perhaps overcome the enormous challenge posed by SC & Boston, comes down to the development of Amari DeBerry, a 6’5” post. Amari needs to improve her conditioning and agressiveness but she definitely has the skill set to become a dominant post player.

I don't think he's weighing it. I think he understands he can't count on two freshmen and essentially a third to counter SC's frontcourt. UConn's coaches aren't following several qualify "bigs" by accident.

And as skilled as DeBerry is, she's not exactly a physical match for Boston/Saxton/Cardoso.

Frankly, even a quality addition isn't going to come close to nullifying SC's rebounding edge. I think Geno needs to come up with a particular strategy to defeat them. Trapping their guards might be a start.

Reaction Score
We need Amari to make a jump to be our third big in the rotation. She has been here a year and knows the system. She has good form on her outside shot and with our big's playing the elbow she has to learn how to screen and I think she is a good passer already and be able to hit the outside shot if teams play off of her like SC and other do. We will miss Liv on defense but we have Patterson who I think can defend well so we need our two freshman to add to the team the way Azzi and Caroline did for the year's team.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's weighing it. I think he understands he can't count on two freshmen and essentially a third to counter SC's frontcourt. UConn's coaches aren't following several qualify "bigs" by accident.

And as skilled as DeBerry is, she's not exactly a physical match for Boston/Saxton/Cardoso.

Frankly, even a quality addition isn't going to come close to nullifying SC's rebounding edge. I think Geno needs to come up with a particular strategy to defeat them. Trapping their guards might be a start.
SC will have a new point guard and that may be the weakness for them. Henderson was very good at controlling the pace and the team. She was a senior and did the job that Harris did before her. We have to disrupt the new point guard. It could be Cooke or maybe Amihere would played it when Henderson was out early in the year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

You may be right. But the question, as always, will be is there someone in the portal who can come to UConn and essentially be better than the players you already have?

As Geno has somewhat sarcastically pointed out, his first question to any potential transfer is, “What’s wrong with you?” Every single Big in the portal is potentially flawed in some way. Nat, Z & Dorka all became key contributors at UConn, but none of them put the Huskies over the top….so far.

Reaction Score
I think Deberry has the skills to be a 12/6 player for UConn but there's simply no way she can handle Boston down low......to be fair I don't think there's another player in the country who can.......the real question is whether Dorka, Brady and Patterson can help Edwards control the other front court players on South Carolina or Stanford......if they can somewhat compete on the boards and the UConn guards shoot up to their abilities that's their best bet to win the next NC......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nat, Z & Dorka all became key contributors at UConn, but none of them put the Huskies over the top….so far.

Sure, but the other option is the status quo, hoping Edwards, Juhasz, and three kids who have played 83 minutes in college can offset SC's frontcourt which loses no-one and gains a jumping jack.

If you're going into a game against a team like that penciling in a 20+ disparity in rebounds your odds of winning are slim. Something has to change, and not just on the boards, imo, but that's a great place to start.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
SC will have a new point guard and that may be the weakness for them. Henderson was very good at controlling the pace and the team. She was a senior and did the job that Harris did before her. We have to disrupt the new point guard. It could be Cooke or maybe Amihere would played it when Henderson was out early in the year.
At the guard position SC is going to be formidable. Kierra Fletcher formerly of Georgia Tech has signed on with SC will likely press for starting spot left by Henderson. Behind Fletcher there is Raven Johnson who before her injury was showing great promise. Hall/Rivers have gained valuable experience and will provide valuable minutes. Keep an eye out for Talaysia Cooper a combo guard whose specialty is scoring the basketball. SC is going to running 6 deep at the guard position. Hate to disagree @Sluconn Husky UCONN needs to do something but we don't have a team that can effectively trap SC. The foot speed and quickness is just not there. If you lined up all the South Carolina & UCONN guards and had a foot race the top 6 spots would go to SC.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hate to disagree @Sluconn Husky UCONN needs to do something but we don't have a team that can effectively trap SC. The foot speed and quickness is just not there. If you lined up all the South Carolina & UCONN guards and had a foot race the top 6 spots would go to SC.

Well, I don't think they could trap Henderson. I want to see what Johnson looks like as a frosh and I think Cooke can be rattled. A healthy Fudd, Bueckers, Muhl, and perhaps Ducharme might be able to do some trapping. I agree with your general assessment and I wait to see if/who UConn adds in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
Great article. Thanks for sharing. I am sure there will be some quality Bigs in the portal just a matter of finding a player that is appealing to the coaching staff. Do you guys know which coach has that fabulous duty of looking over the transfer portal and looking at video? With Amari. I just liked what I saw in the Georgia Tech game. For being a freshmen and not getting a lot of court time, that game, in limited minutes in a loss, she showed me that she has decent hands, decent court vision, and a decent shot. She could be a huge X-factor next season in the growth of the program.

Coach G mentioned the two incoming freshmen. Looks like she could be problem in the post. Her size and skill set could be nightmare for other teams. But like Coach G said, you get high school kid going up against a college player, things might change. Of course we don't know what Brady is doing in her off-season or on the weekends. For all we know, she could be in a gym some where going against college players building up and getting ready for that physical nature of college ball. Same with Patterson. Again, watching a few game clips, she could be a problem as well. Her natural ability, quick feet, and her toughness is going to be a nice addition to the program. But it all depends on how they adjust to college ball. I think that they will do well. Just a matter of Coach G and the coaching staff and how they approach this situation. His program and his philosophy.

Reaction Score
Uconn needs to score against South Carolina from the outside...........ultimately UConn needs to find a way to get Fudd, Bueckers and Ducharme more open shots......that's their advantage and the only way they win against SC.......hopefully the front court players can compete enough to keep the SC forwards honest..........this is where I'm hoping Brady's ability to shoot from midrange will come into play.........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We need Amari to make a jump to be our third big in the rotation. She has been here a year and knows the system. She has good form on her outside shot and with our big's playing the elbow she has to learn how to screen and I think she is a good passer already and be able to hit the outside shot if teams play off of her like SC and other do. We will miss Liv on defense but we have Patterson who I think can defend well so we need our two freshman to add to the team the way Azzi and Caroline did for the year's team.
You describe another Liv. You are not a Big if you will not put your body in the fight with the other team's Big(s). Sure, she's slim but she won't break in trying to hinder a Big. A few years ago it became doctrine that the truly big Big was a thing of the past. That is BS. There are just more Azura Stevens than Stef Dolsons. The Stevens have to be ready to bang with the Big Mommas.

Reaction Score

I think more importantly is to have a big who is a consistent scoring threat. I think that will allow the guards to move more freely.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Didn't see Aubrey mentioned as a rebounder. I'm looking forward to seeing how she fits into game planning next season.
I expect very little from Aubrey. She's almost starting from scratch. Or perhaps, starting from where she was as a freshman or sophomore in high school.

By that I mean she had back surgery. She was in a wheelchair for a fair bit of time. I think it's fair to say there was a very long stretch where not only did she do zero basketball skill practice, but zero conditioning. I have no idea how long exactly she was off her feet, but IMHO it's going to be a very long road for her to come back, and I'm not sure she will ever be able to get to the level she was pre-surgery.

I haven't read much about how far she's been setback. Perhaps no one will know until she gets 100% healthy and can start practicing again.

Regarding Amari, no matter how she develops, she's more Azura than Stef. A 4 who prefers to roam the perimeter. Liya and Dorka are the bangers. Frankly, I could see Caroline starting in place of Dorka bringing her in more to spell Liya. But who knows how everyone will improve over the summer and what the portal holds for UCONN. We will have MANY debates about it over the next 5 months...

As for the rest of UCONN, I'd like to point out - we were out-rebounded by what - 25 or so? They took at least 20 more free throws than we did? Lost our 1st post off the bench 1 game prior to a broken wrist. Our starting center pulled a groin vs. Stanford and played injured. Our best 3-point shooter almost didn't play and was sick. Evina rolled an ankle and didn't come back after the injury.

How on earth did we even keep it as close as we did? 2 starters hobbled and our 1st 2 players off the bench gone. We cut the lead to 6 before they pulled away. It's possible that no one can beat SC, and they are on the precipice of a new dynasty - 80-0 over the next 2 years. Who knows.

But it's not like Geno and UCONN (or Stanford or anyone else) will just roll over and say "oh well. let's play for 2nd place".

UHF

Reaction Score
Me thinks UConn needs balanced offense to win first NC since GOAT Stewie, Moriah, Tuck in 2016.

Need consistent scoring from hi post and low post. Not just outside scoring from PB, , CD.

UConn Highest Scoring Averages Season.

22.8 --- 2010-11 --- Maya Moore.
22.6 --- 1988-89 --- Kerry Bascom.
20.9 --- 1997-98 --- Nykesha Sales
20.8 --- 2018-19 --- Napheesa Collier
20.5 --- 1989-90 --- Kerry Bascom
20.4 --- 2016-17 --- Napheesa Collier
20.2 --- 2016-17 --- Katie Lou Samuelson
20.0 --- 1990-91 --- Kerry Bascom
19.7 --- 2019-20 --- Megan Walker
19.4 --- 2013-14 --- Breanna Stewart --- National Championship.
19.4 --- 2015-16 --- Breanna Stewart --- National Championship.

Bird, Taurasi, Cash, Jones, Williams had excellent scoring balance. 2 GOAT guards did not pull a Harden or Westbrook.

Edit - as a newbie, just realized typing A F without a space gets replaced with Azzi Fudd. Any other initials get replaced?

Reaction Score
Sure, but the other option is the status quo, hoping Edwards, Juhasz, and three kids who have played 83 minutes in college can offset SC's frontcourt which loses no-one and gains a jumping jack.

If you're going into a game against a team like that penciling in a 20+ disparity in rebounds your odds of winning are slim. Something has to change, and not just on the boards, imo, but that's a great place to start.
I agree. The status quo puts a lot of pressure on getting the two freshmen ready to roll quickly. As of right now, there's not only a rebounding discrepancy but a real lack of interior defense. ONO was 75% of what they had and she's gone. Seeing how little defensive development there was in DeBerry throughout the course of a full season's practices in the UConn system it's going to take a big effort to get her and those two freshmen ready to play the defense required to handle quality teams. Edwards works at it and is physical but the foul situation between her and Juhasz won't be good. If one is out there, a big rebounding and defensive anchor to help for a year is needed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

There’s another way to look at this issue. Perhaps there is absolutely nothing you can do to offset SC’s advantage next season. Certainly, there were years like 2015-16 when no other team could compete with UConn, and maybe that’s exactly what SC will be until Boston, Saxon, Beal & Cooke are gone the following year.

If the best you can do is bring in a decent Big who takes PT away from younger, recruited players who you can develop, maybe it’s better to stand pat and recognize that 2023-24 is the season to target.

I know that sounds completely foreign for UConn WBB, who sets their sites on a national championship every season. But the reality of WBB has changed in the past 5-7 years. There are for more good players, teams & coaches. Parity is almost here. Winning a championship every season, or even making it to the FF year after year will become a thing of the past.

Reaction Score

I am heartened to know that Amari plans to stay on campus over the summer to work with Andrea Hudy, as well as the coaches. She is most certainly the X-factor going into next season.
I’m surprised so many people think she has this amazing skill set. From what little we saw her I don’t know how that evaluation is just. I find it hard to go buy high school videos where she dominates lesser players. I agree that she has promise but again so little playing time somewhat leaves me doubtful. The fact that she’s willing to stay this summer and work on her game is a big plus and I can only hope vast improvement on her part not only for the team but for her as an individual. But if I were the coaches I would not plan on that account on that I would go out and get an experienced Big. having a quality for big rotation with two quality freshmen would clearly give any other team problems. It’s gonna be a long summer of waiting.

Reaction Score
The reason our guards were stuffed in the SC game is because all 5 of their players could focus on them. This has to change. The question is …do we have a big who would demand the attention of defenders when she has the ball in the paint? This has to happen or the outcome will be the same.

Do we have a player on the roster who can meet this need? Do we have to beam someone in from the portal? I don’t know. I’m sure Geno knows.

Reaction Score
How about change the mindset from “Everyone eats” to “Everyone Rebounds”. This is what SC does so successfully. They gladly will trade couple of fast breaks for a dozen or more extra rebounds. UConn should try concentrating on having everyone too for rebounds and not just hang outside. And, while we are at it, try to develop the habit of when someone takes a shot to follow towards the basket in case of a miss, who knows that person might grab the rebound.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All great in the analysis but you are forgetting the intangibles….what if SC goes into injuries like we had….or like Stanford found out despite a loaded roster that repeating is not easy…
Injuries are not an intangible they are a reality of the game. When both teams were at full strength early in the season SC was still the dominat team. SC also beat Stanford earlier this season. There is a significant gap between SC and UCONN. I really don't care about the other teams. Lamenting the injuries UCONN had in this game or on the season does nothing to close the gap. A new/different strategy + improved (new?) players is now a necessity- at least that's what I got out of reading this article.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom