At least one UCONN fan thinks we aren't a top 10 team next year. Thoughts? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

At least one UCONN fan thinks we aren't a top 10 team next year. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am mentally prepared for a 28-8 season. I am not analyzing possible losses. Just making sure that I do not start yelling if there are losses.
That is my lower bound for next season.
John Thompson always put the Hoyas at 15 or lower in the coaches poll (circa 1983-86). No one asked him (or worked it out for himself) who 1-14 were.
Tempering expectations is a very good thing.
NWIH I am prepared for a 28-8 season. Are you kidding me? 28-8? C'mon....

Next year we are gonna kick butt! Could we lose one? Yeah. Maybe. And, if we do, that will be a really big deal. REALLY big.

Next year Geno may have do do his, "Now I'm going to show you how to win a national championship" routine with the young'ns. But KLS is going to be the biggest star in the country, Gabby is going to be a BEAST, and if you think you're going to beat UCONN well, just bring it!

Reaction Score
NWIH I am prepared for a 28-8 season. Are you kidding me? 28-8? C'mon....

Next year we are gonna kick butt! Could we lose one? Yeah. Maybe. And, if we do, that will be a really big deal. REALLY big.

Next year Geno may have do do his, "Now I'm going to show you how to win a national championship" routine with the young'ns. But KLS is going to be the biggest star in the country, Gabby is going to be a BEAST, and if you think you're going to beat UCONN well, just bring it!
Some people prepare for the best, some people prepare for the worst.
I am with you for the best....

Reaction Score
Some people prepare for the best, some people prepare for the worst.
I am with you for the best....
Totally on line with you, but regardless.......28-8???? 8??????? KLS is NOT going to let EIGHT teams beat her. EIGHT???????

Reaction Score
I doubt if I ever said Team USA would struggle MIGHTLY against some International Teams. I did say Team USA might have problems with Tall Physical teams which they did when they played Australia. Cambage was having a field day against USA Bigs in the 1st half. Australia led at the half. If I recall correctly Ashja was the player that stopped Cambage in the 2nd half. Team USA doesn't have physical bigs, they tend to rely of finesse to get their points. I'm hoping Nneka makes the team as she's a physical power forward who can bang with the physical post players other countries have.

Here's whats I said after the Maryland Game.

"Who Knows if Marylands plays a tougher schedule they win this game. Although the game was close UConn didn't panic when Maryland went on their mini runs to get the game close. Both teams answered the others run, UConn had them when they counted. Maryland is a good team and the match ups with Ohio State should be interesting."

I doubt I ever said UConn needs to play perfectly to beat Maryland again as I don't believe that. Did I say Natalie needs to be available to help on Briona Jones, possibly as Jones had a field day in the last game.

Natalie may be a great practice player, but so far her play has been inconsistent.

You also did say Team USA was going to struggle mightily vs some of the International Teams didn't you?
You also did say that the next time UCONN plays Maryland they need to play near perfect unless someone like Butler can guard their center, didn't you?
[/QUOTE]

My mistake sorry. I found out and it wasn't you that said UCONN had to play perfect. Sorry my mistake.

I thought I recalled in international you predicted we would lose but can't find it- so sorry - I won't bring that up again. My mistake.

In regards to Australia I was referring to the latest matchup. Someone on here predicted Team USA would lose - and the game below one can read Geno's comments that even though they won - they were also trying to get the younger players time/ having a 16 pt lead with 7.5 minutes left. The team didn't practice much too. And players like Griner and Parker I don't believe played. Yet someone on here was saying I thought -- that the world had caught up and Team USA was going to lose.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ustralia-iin-paris-tuneup-20140919-story.html

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Morgan and her health will be big factors next year in our success. I'm assuming she returns and is rather healthy. She'll be on all the NPOY watch lists. She'll be the rock, the calming presence, and the coach on the floor.

In terms of the other players, Saniya is playing quite well and should be a major contributor next year. Hopefully, she too will be healthy.

Kia will be solid, of course. She will be even better than this year and more vocal. She'll be an AA candidate.

Gabby will be explosive. She has dominated mediocre competition. Let's see how she does against SC. If she can outplay bigger players by being quicker, that's a great sign for next year.

Natalie will be a big, skilled rebounder and scorer. She had a poor game against ECU, but had looked good in prior action. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

Lou is being pushed hard by Geno. I expect her to improve over the next 16 games and be on the NPOY pre-season watch list. She's not Stewie, but she has great tools--size, smarts, ball-handling, and shooting. She'll be very, very good next season.

Napheesa will be very, very good as well. Recalling how large the sophomore leap can be, I think she'll be much more comfortable and effective next year.

In terms of the newbies, I think both Kyla and Molly will play hard and smart. Both will get PT and contribute some. Crystal will have an opportunity. I expect her freshman year to be better than Moriah's was. She is a great ball-handler, pesky defender, and gifted scorer. She'll be in the running for NFOY. She'll also be one of the most exciting players in the nation.

I think that some teams will give us trouble next year. ND and SC are the ones I expect to do so the most. I have no doubt that we can win 30 games. I think we can win 35. Can we win 38??

Reaction Score
If Mogan stays we will be #1 no doubt
If Morgan leaves we will be in top #1-3 depending on how good others

This. Sort of.
Tuck makes this team #1 in the country. The UConn team will be very balanced which I like. (actually don't like by being a Maryland fan)
If Tuck leave (I'm sorry) but you guys are in trouble. My top 7 UConn will compete with would be.

1. Notre Dame - great coach and at least 8 McDonald's All Americans
2. South Carolina - Aja Wilson, Coasts plus two excellent transfers
3. Maryland - Shatori Walker-Kimbrough with a 41 and 30 point game the last two outings plus Brionna Jones and a #1 class
4. Baylor - tons of size and Kim is a good coach
5. Texas - they are getting to elite level
6. Ohio State - Kelsey Mitchell is still there plus Muvunga will make a difference for them
7. Louisville - 7 McDonald's All Americans led by super talented Asia Durr

They will definitely be behind the 1st two. The other 5 will give them a very tough game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This. Sort of.
Tuck makes this team #1 in the country. The UConn team will be very balanced which I like. (actually don't like by being a Maryland fan)
If Tuck leave (I'm sorry) but you guys are in trouble. My top 7 UConn will compete with would be.

1. Notre Dame - great coach and at least 8 McDonald's All Americans
2. South Carolina - Aja Wilson, Coasts plus two excellent transfers
3. Maryland - Shatori Walker-Kimbrough with a 41 and 30 point game the last two outings plus Brionna Jones and a #1 class
4. Baylor - tons of size and Kim is a good coach
5. Texas - they are getting to elite level
6. Ohio State - Kelsey Mitchell is still there plus Muvunga will make a difference for them
7. Louisville - 7 McDonald's All Americans led by super talented Asia Durr

They will definitely be behind the 1st two. The other 5 will give them a very tough game.
It is a good thing all of these teams (minus Texas) are on the UCONN's schedule next year.
1) Turner will be recovering from shoulder surgery and Reimer may not be back. Cable and Maybrey 1.0 will have graduated and Mabrey 2.0 is coming back to earth after a fabulous start.
2) I like South Carolina's transfers but I would worry about the bench, PG play, leadership, and replacing a and go to player which Mitchell has provided for 3 years now.
3) #1 recruiting class but within this recruiting class who are you projecting that will 1) Start 2) Get minutes ahead of Gillespie & Frazier?
4) Alexus Jones becomes the Baylor Playmaker with 4 post players in the starting lineup? Baylor is lacking adequate perimeter players.
5) By all means let's schedule that game now and lock it in for the next 4 years. It will be at least that long before Texas gets over the last drubbing UCONN put on them.
6) Kevin has assembled via transfers a great collection of talent. Now all he has to do is get them to play like a team and actually put some D in OSU- Maybe in the Post Mitchell era?
7) They are up and coming but young and exploitable- did you see that ND game last night?

One last point regular season vs tournament. To get to a Final four UCONN is only going to have to beat at most 1 or 2 teams from this list ,not all seven. If UCONN were to go 3 and 3 in these six games you are still looking at a probably #1 seed.

Reaction Score
It is a good thing all of these teams (minus Texas) are on the UCONN's schedule next year.
1) Turner will be recovering from shoulder surgery and Reimer may not be back. Cable and Maybrey 1.0 will have graduated and Mabrey 2.0 is coming back to earth after a fabulous start.
2) I like South Carolina's transfers but I would worry about the bench, PG play, leadership, and replacing a and go to player which Mitchell has provided for 3 years now.
3) #1 recruiting class but within this recruiting class who are you projecting that will 1) Start 2) Get minutes ahead of Gillespie & Frazier?
4) Alexus Jones becomes the Baylor Playmaker with 4 post players in the starting lineup? Baylor is lacking adequate perimeter players.
5) By all means let's schedule that game now and lock it in for the next 4 years. It will be at least that long before Texas gets over the last drubbing UCONN put on them.
6) Kevin has assembled via transfers a great collection of talent. Now all he has to do is get them to play like a team and actually put some D in OSU- Maybe in the Post Mitchell era?
7) They are up and coming but young and exploitable- did you see that ND game last night?

One last point regular season vs tournament. To get to a Final four UCONN is only going to have to beat at most 1 or 2 teams from this list ,not all seven. If UCONN were to go 3 and 3 in these six games you are still looking at a probably #1 seed.

Texas is on UConn's schedule next year, they play at Mohegan Sun.

http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20151217/SPORTS/151219596

Reaction Score

I agree with all your points in the post. Very well thought out. Louisville should have won that game yesterday. They were terrible in the 4th quarter. I agree with the PG play with South Carolina. For some reason I am seeing a transfer to them over the summer. With the exception of Slocum, all of Maryland's 2016 class will be bench players. Slocum, SWK, Jones and Confroy will be starters with either Gillespie or Fraser playing the 4 position.

Good luck in the huge game tonight.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can foresee a tough off season for us coming up.

You're right!!! We're going to analyze the entire program from A-Z. When we're done, we're going to analyze it some more.
We've got from April 6, to mid-October to figure this thing out.

We (the boneyard) should have everything figured out for Geno by then. With all of the knowledgeable, intelligent and long time UConn fans we have here in the yard, there's no problem or question we can't solve.
It's going to be a loooong summer. :(

Reaction Score
You're right!!! We're going to analyze the entire program from A-Z. When we're done, we're going to analyze it some more.
We've got from April 6, to mid-October to figure this thing out.

We (the boneyard) should have everything figured out for Geno by then. With all of the knowledgeable, intelligent and long time UConn fans we have here in the yard, there's no problem or question we can't solve.
It's going to be a loooong summer. :(

A typical off season here.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I agree with all your points in the post. Very well thought out. Louisville should have won that game yesterday. They were terrible in the 4th quarter. I agree with the PG play with South Carolina. For some reason I am seeing a transfer to them over the summer. With the exception of Slocum, all of Maryland's 2016 class will be bench players. Slocum, SWK, Jones and Confroy will be starters with either Gillespie or Fraser playing the 4 position.

Good luck in the huge game tonight.

Hey Terp, I like Maryland A LOT next year, and the next few years after that to be honest..

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I trust Geno!!! He is the man and can make things happen. I am not worried.

That being said I wanted to state that I personally believe that South Carolina could be better next year. I think Kaela Davis and Alisha Gray will make them better and actually give them something they don't have this season. If Bianca Cuevas can take the reins as a PG.

Baylor will miss Niya Johnson. They will be overcome it I am sure but will be an adjustment.

Reaction Score
I can foresee a tough off season for us coming up.
"tough" meaning that we aren't heavy favorites in all of the games, yes. We should be underdogs in some games, and take a few losses. Teams will sense blood in the water and come at us even harder.

Back in 2003-2004, we had our own shark in the water, and she FEASTED.

Reaction Score
If Bianca Cuevas can take the reins as a PG.

Cuevas is SCARY. I wonder if she is Coach Staley's Charde Houston; an enormously talented player that the coaching staff just couldn't quite figure out.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
OK, y'all, I have read all of your posts. Now here is the position of Fearless Fox Forcasting;
1) With a returned and healthy Morgan, the Huskies are a good bet to go wire to wire, undefeated.
2) If Morgan does not return, or has serious problems with her leg, the Huskies lose at most two games, maybe none, go to the final four, and win the NC.
3) Kia, KLS, Napheesa and Gabby will all be All American candidates.
4) Natalie will be big time.
Keep in mind that FFF may not always be right, but we are never wrong. And TonyC agrees with the above. (We have not consulted him, but nevertheless say this with confidence!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom