At least one UCONN fan thinks we aren't a top 10 team next year. Thoughts? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

At least one UCONN fan thinks we aren't a top 10 team next year. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Tuck returns, then UConn is a top 5 team. If she doesn't return, then they are a top 10 team. To rank them higher, I would have to know who is going to be the number one and two options on offense. it is easier to score when you are the fourth option and the defense is concentrating on three all Americans. To be a consistent offense, a UConn offense, you have to have two or three player who are a threat to score a lot of points. UConn is spoiled by having five of those types of players on the floor most of the time. My concern is, how will Gabby react when she draws the best defender or she is double teamed. How will KLS react when she face guarded on the three point line.

Gabby has really upgraded her game this year and there isn't anything to make me think she won't make the same leap next year. If all the other players make the same developmental improvements, then UConn will be a top 5 team with or without Tuck.

Reaction Score
Some good thoughts, hh. At the moment, Lou is (IMO), a good ball handler, an exceptional passer, and should be a major offensive force. What's missing? Her learning, as Bre did, to play inside to take advantage of her height and length as a scorer, rebounder, and shot blocker. Stewart's evolution featured the acquisition of every essential skill and then some. She was not a sturdy presence in the post as a freshman, but she became the best player in the country, a true all-around talent. That's the hope for Lou. She more than anyone else looks like a Brenna Stewart, in progress, of course.

No-- we can agree to disagree on this -- just like I just did with the poster WBBfan. BECAUSE KLS is as you say --

1-- A good ball handler
2-- An exceptional passer
And what I think we agree on is that she should become an exceptional shooter - an exceptional one from 3 pt range --

She shouldn't try to be more like Stewie. I think it would be a mistake. She is a better passer, ball-handler and shooter frosh vs frosh than Stewie was - KLS's game- her strengths- are that of a wing. Stewie on the wing in college in her fist few years having to make decisions on fastbreak if she were to have been a sf and catch the ball at half-court would have been very very bad imo. Her shot always pretty good - as a wing Stewie wouldn't have the same value because she wasn't such a great outside shooter.

KLS on the other hand can handle the ball and make plays on a break starting at halfcourt. And I am hopeful her 3 point shot will fall- then if that is the case she becomes an enormous 3pt weapon on fastbreaks - which means I am hopeful she can be over 40% maybe quite a bit better than that at some point as a sf. This is something Stewie is not - she can have games which she is hot. But overall KLS imo MUST work a lot on HER OWN CEILING - which her ceiling is to shoot from the outside. That means she needs to get out on fastbreaks too and not be pinned down in the paint. Stewie is best right now as a trailer - blocking shots. IMO KLS because she is so good now as a passer she should work hard on refining her abilities as wing.

Wasn't there a thread recently that said Geno wants KLS to be more like Sveta than Stewie? If there was- I agree with that. I don't want KLS "pinned down" in the paint. She can never be near Stewie in the paint- Stewie is not only taller but much longer arms and can jump higher. IMO KLS best ceiling is on the perimeter. Her future passing, her overall decision making and from what I believe her shot will come around and be exceptional - are all too much of value to be wasted too much (okay to play there some and learn but not many minutes- that's what I mean by "too much.") being pinned in the paint. I wants KLS "free" in the open court like KML was. She won't shoot as well but she will pass better. Combine the potential shooting and passing that is better than what she can do for us potentially in the paint.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If not a top five team certainly a top ten team. It's going to be tough. Next year they're going to have problems against both big teams (Baylor, Maryland, SC) and teams with quick agile guards (Notre Dame, Ohio State, maybe DePaul). There are some ifs. If Danger develops quickly by the time the Big Show starts they could be okay with smaller guards. If Pheese gets stronger she'll contend well against bigger forwards and be better inside offensively against that length. The same for KLS and Butler. KLS will need to vary her offensive repertoire and be more consistent on both offense and defense. She needs to learn with 10 shots 1 for 4 on threes, but 6 for 6 on short two's is not a bad day. Butler will need to improve in her put backs and extend her range. She'll need to learn how to use her size and bulk more effectively. And if Gabby continues to improve all around she'll be an X-factor. Irwin and Bent will contribute but they will still be freshman. I think it is safe to say by the time of The Big Show they'll be a better team than at the start of the year. How much is the question. With Tuck the odds go way up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn's failure to sign a big the last two go-arounds may come home to roost next year. If both Stewart and Tuck leave, the interior defense (and offense) leaves with them. I, too, think Irwin may be a help in shoring up the interior, and I hope that Lou becomes a much stronger presence inside (a 6'4" player is a terrible thing to waste). But these are unknowns. Gabby and Napheesa will help, though neither has the size to dominate as Bre does. Can't see Chong as a starter, so big hopes for Crystal coming in. Next year may be about playing with guards and forwards. I have faith that Geno will meld another strong team, and I'll try not to think about this until Stewart cuts down the net at nationals.
Stewie does not dominate because of her size , she dominates because of her skill set. There are plenty of 6'4" WCBB players only One Stewie. Gabby & Naphessa are already two of the most dynamic Forwards in WCBB- neither has to be Stewie. It would be a severe mistake to play KLS inside. Chong was a starter as a Sophomore for UCONN and can certainly be a starter as a Senior. What 6"4" player is UCONN wasting?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Why is this a topic every year? UConn WCBB Fans are the most spoiled fans in America, tOSU CFB fans notwithstanding, why not just enjoy this season and immerse yourselves in the moment? How many great players have the Huskies lost over the past 30 years, with no loss in continuity; Rebecca, Pam, Kara, Sveta, Bird, DT3, Nykesha, Swin, Jamelle, Jen, Shea, Lishness, Maya, Renee, Tina, Barb Turner, Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty, Stef, Bria, KML, Kiah, the list goes on an on and each successive year I see this conversation. UConn will be fine next year, as long as Geno is coaching. They'll be carrying their 11th Natty and another 70-game streak into next year and be ranked #1. Kim Mulkey will be whining about how Baylor is being disrespected, Kevin McGuff will still have a very talented, undisciplined, no defense playing tOSU team, Muffett will bring in 15 HS AA's and still not be able to beat Geno, Hollie will get fired at UT, Dawn Staley will still be saying her team needs more offense, Joanne P. McCallie will still be blaming her players for the failures at Duke and no one will show any love to the teams or players on the West Coast(Sydney Wiese is the truth). You guys will be bitching about who Geno whiffed on in the 17 and 18 classes and he'll bring in the next set of greats at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Tuck returns, then UConn is a top 5 team. If she doesn't return, then they are a top 10 team. To rank them higher, I would have to know who is going to be the number one and two options on offense. it is easier to score when you are the fourth option and the defense is concentrating on three all Americans. To be a consistent offense, a UConn offense, you have to have two or three player who are a threat to score a lot of points. UConn is spoiled by having five of those types of players on the floor most of the time. My concern is, how will Gabby react when she draws the best defender or she is double teamed. How will KLS react when she face guarded on the three point line.
Gabby has really upgraded her game this year and there isn't anything to make me think she won't make the same leap next year. If all the other players make the same developmental improvements, then UConn will be a top 5 team with or without Tuck.
I don't think UCONN is going to change its DNA next year an suddenly try and outscore teams. They will score plenty of points because 1) The Offensive system provides plenty of open shots 2) This team is filled with dynamic passer that will fuel that offense by providing timely open baskets. Championship contention for UCONN as is has for 2 decades will hinge on the teams ability to defend. The most dominant post player in college basketball in the last decade Brittney Griner did not dominate against UCONN because of that UCONN DNA. The current crop of post player Wilson, Coates Jones, Turner, Reimer will be taller and perhaps more skilled than UCONN post players but there is also a stran in the UCONN DNA that says we are not going to let one player beat or dominate us.

Reaction Score
If Mogan stays we will be #1 no doubt
If Morgan leaves we will be in top #1-3 depending on how good others

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Not Top 10 ?

TOTALLY RIDICULOUS

No other top 10 team loses players to graduation ?

Remaining UCONN players don't get better, but everybody else's do ?

UCONN's incoming class makes no impact, but other teams freshman do ?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's absurd.

I have no doubt we'll be top three even without Tuck, assuming we're healthy.

Every year BYers overrate the impact that the loss of a superstar (or two in this case) will have on a given program. ND, Baylor and Stanford have all held up way better than BYers projected in the face of losing superstars. Yes, the loss of Mo and Bre (and possibly Tuck) will have a really big impact. But the gap between UConn and the #11 team in the country is cavernous. Barring injuries you can absolutely count on another F4 appearance next year.

It's waaaayyyy to early to even begin to contemplate life without Stewart and Jefferson (and maybe Tuck).
A thought.....I wonder if Geno had any idea in his wildest dreams the impact these 3 young ladies would have on his program, and WCBB when they committed to UConn? NOBODY saw UConn wining the next 3 (possibly 4) national championships when they arrived on campus 3 years ago.

As we lose players, so do the other top ranked teams. How good are they going to be after graduation?
The word on the street is that UConn is expected to lose some of it's dominance after this season, however that remains to be seen.

It's not hard to understand that it's almost impossible to replace the points, leadership, judgement and swag that UConn loses when the big three move on. It's difficult to replace all of that in 1 year.

It took them 2 years (freshman & sophomore) to reach the level of play they're at now. They were not as mature and seasoned the first two years as they were last year and today. Geno may not sign a trio as productive and dynamic as these 3, the remainder of his tenure. We'll see.

Teams that have been reluctant to put UConn on their OOC schedule before, may be willing to do so now.
How much immediate help should we expect from the incoming freshmen? My guess is in the beginning, not much.

They'll all got to go through that freshman learning curve before they begin to even have a clue of how to play within the fabric of the team, becoming consistent and productive. We won't know until 5-6 games into the season before we can make an intelligent assessment based on what our eyes tell us (the old "eye" test).

Somehow, Geno always seems to make it work. He knows what he's doing. He may have to dig real deep into his "bag of tricks" to pull off another final four appearance next year. Based on what we're losing tis year, and what's coming in,
Our bite may not be as ferocious as it has been in the recent past. I sure hope I'm wrong on this.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UCONN projects to be a top 3-4 team next season simply due to talent and coaching even without Tuck. With Tuck, UCONN will be top 2 favorite.

Other top programs should be Notre Dame, South Carolina, Ohio State and Baylor. Notre Dame loses just Cable, brings in 2 top 10 players, Patberg and possibly Taya Reimer. South Carolina loses Dozier, Mitchell and Roy but bring in Davis and Gray. Lots of upside but lots of potential chemistry issues, and Mitchell is a huge loss in the backcourt with her toughness and leadership. OSU will be great with Mitchell and Mavunga transferring in. Baylor returns everyone but Niya Johnson. They are very intriguing with their slew of post options, Davis, Lauren Cox, and Alexis Jones who is their top player IMO. A year older and a great combination of youth and experience. They'll be outstanding.

Other teams will have good rosters, but those 4 and UCONN should be big favorites for the Final Four.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think UCONN is going to change its DNA next year an suddenly try and outscore teams. They will score plenty of points because 1) The Offensive system provides plenty of open shots 2) This team is filled with dynamic passer that will fuel that offense by providing timely open baskets. Championship contention for UCONN as is has for 2 decades will hinge on the teams ability to defend. The most dominant post player in college basketball in the last decade Brittney Griner did not dominate against UCONN because of that UCONN DNA. The current crop of post player Wilson, Coates Jones, Turner, Reimer will be taller and perhaps more skilled than UCONN post players but there is also a stran in the UCONN DNA that says we are not going to let one player beat or dominate us.

The reason good teams get open shots is because there are players on the court that demand extra defensive attention. All that I am stating is that there are questions on who if anybody will demand that attention next year. There are plenty of teams that run good motion offenses, but none of them have a BS, Tuck, or MJ.

I don't think UConn wins games because of DNA. Every girl that plays basketball wants to win. There is no patent on that. In the late 1970s I was involved in a Bar fight on the Submarine base in Groton. An older gentleman grabbed me by the shoulder and told me "You don't want to fight that guy. Your idea of winning is punching him a few times and humiliating him. He's a Vietnam combat vet. His idea of winning may be cutting off your ears and wearing them around his neck until they rot and fall off. Do you really want to fight that guy?" Well UConn is "that guy". It's not a DNA thing. It's a I am willing to go further and dig deeper to secure a victory thing. UConns defense is a product of great coaching, great effort and great talent .

As you can probably tell I have a problem with the word DNA when used in relation to basketball dynastys. That's the trap that UCLA men and Tennessee women fell into. They thought they were great because of the name on the jersey. Their tradition was enough to carry them to victories. They were wrong. They lost what made them great. I would love for UConn to NOT fall into the same trap.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Carnac

Reaction Score
The reason good teams get open shots is because there are players on the court that demand extra defensive attention. All that I am stating is that there are questions on who if anybody will demand that attention next year. There are plenty of teams that run good motion offenses, but none of them have a BS, Tuck, or MJ.

I don't think UConn wins games because of DNA. Every girl that plays basketball wants to win. There is no patent on that. In the late 1970s I was involved in a Bar fight on the Submarine base in Groton. An older gentleman grabbed me by the shoulder and told me "You don't want to fight that guy. Your idea of winning is punching him a few times and humiliating him. He's a Vietnam combat vet. His idea of winning may be cutting off your ears and wearing them around his neck until they rot and fall off. Do you really want to fight that guy?" Well UConn is "that guy". It's not a DNA thing. It's a I am willing to go further and dig deeper to secure a victory thing. UConns defense is a product of great coaching, great effort and great talent .

As you can probably tell I have a problem with the word DNA when used in relation to basketball dynastys. That's the trap that UCLA men and Tennessee women fell into. They thought they were great because of the name on the jersey. Their tradition was enough to carry them to victories. They were wrong. They lost what made them great. I would love for UConn to NOT fall into the same trap.

AMEN Kmoney!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Use another word if you like but but we are talking about the exact same thing. Your description is perfect: " UCONNs defense is a product of great coaching, great effort and great talent". This is what defines UCONN.
Of course BS, Tuck, or MJ certainly command more attention and would make any offense better but there is a certain fundamental design to the UCONN offense based primarily on spacing and ball movement that is unique to UCONN. Ever notice that with even the bench players and walkons in the game the shot attempts for UCONN are coming from the same places on the floor and after the same sequences of passes? That is by design not by accident and only closely approximated by very very few teams.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Use another word if you like but but we are talking about the exact same thing. Your description is perfect: " UCONNs defense is a product of great coaching, great effort and great talent". This is what defines UCONN.
Of course BS, Tuck, or MJ certainly command more attention and would make any offense better but there is a certain fundamental design to the UCONN offense based primarily on spacing and ball movement that is unique to UCONN. Ever notice that with even the bench players and walkons in the game the shot attempts for UCONN are coming from the same places on the floor and after the same sequences of passes? That is by design not by accident and only closely approximated by very very few teams.
So right. Yet if we fans want another championship in the 4 years after Stewie the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes are pivotal. If there's anything new on that front people please post on other threads.

Reaction Score
It has been a while Summer of 2015 since Morgan has been as definitive as to say she will return. Much has changed since the summer specifically her missing 4 games recently. The lastest can be found in this article:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...men-memphis-notebook-0131-20160130-story.html
which includes this very thoughtful quote: "I think about it," Tuck said. "I know my professional career is going to be a lot shorter than I would want it to be. I thought I'd be able to play until my mid-30s. I do think about my longevity because my dream, since I was 14, has been to play in the WNBA. I'm trying to assess everything at my disposal, not just think about the present."

Good luck in pursuit of your dream Morgan, You have been and are a Joy.

She also said it when she appeared with Geno on the Monday radio show this season, might have been 5 weeks ago-ish.

Reaction Score
Geno definitely knew!

" Auriemma said Wednesday night he believes the class puts UConn "back into the category where we can win a national championship," and said Stewart is as good a recruit as he's ever had at Connecticut."
Nov'2011
Geno always knows. Never, ever doubt his knowledge.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Stopping being literal, DNA was used as a metaphor.

Those demanding attention next year are obvious. They don't get primary attention this year because there are others who have more experience and are bigger threats. Chong for one and Nurse will help spread the outside along with KLS whose shot will undoubtably settle in even more. Relax, you are over analyzing and worrying about shadows of things that will likely never be.

Reaction Score
Not really worth arguing, when no supporting data/information/assumptions have been provided. But just fer funsies...

Who is going to challenge next year? Baylor looks good, and if Louisville will grow up emotionally, they will be good as well. ND loses their primary offensive weapon, and as good as Turner is, she has not shown that she can handle that position (then again, neither had Cable until this year). South Carolina loses their backcourt; bigs are only as good as the people getting them the ball. Is Stanford ready to come back to the forefront? Will Tennessee suddenly see the Light?

We lose a bunch, but make some nice gains in the new class and still have a GREAT bunch of players with a LOT of experience. We're a Top 5 team without the newbies and Butler still re-learning the game. With them and a resurgent Butler, we're fighting for #1, but there is nothing unanimous about it.
I can foresee a tough off season for us coming up.

Reaction Score
I can foresee a tough off season for us coming up.
Yes and I for one will be excitedly waiting for Charley Creme's first projection of the 64 teams and their exact seedings in next year's NCAA tournament.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If Butler was playing so well, why is she one of the last players off the bench when Geno starts subbing. In an ideal world, she would be the first off the bench when Geno wanted to sub for Morgan or Stewie due to her size which should provide rebounding and plug up the middle with her defense. Geno has more confidence with Gabby and Napheesa filling the role for Morgan and Stewie. Butler is 9th in average minutes played. Not saying that Butler is not capable of being the Starting Center next year, but she's not playing like she will be today.

Never thought Duke would give UConn problems, but did think So Carolina had the potential to cause the team problems due to their size. I still believe that with this years team because there's no Kiah Stokes available when Geno goes to a big lineup. So Carolina's rebounding and second chance points will go along way in determining who wins this game.

I disagree with everything you've said. IMO you're wrong. First off Butler has played well in other games not just in the one game you are singling her out thus you are exaggerating. Secondly - I think it wrong for you use the words "push around" as a general statement. Today - I thought she was out-quicked. Everything she did was like it was in slow motion.

By the way - we all make wrong make predictions (heck I always thought Ann Strother was going to be super great) - but weren't you one of the posters from last year that thought UCONN would be in the most trouble vs teams like South Carolina and Duke? Especially South Carolina because of the post play?

Also, weren't you the same poster that thought TEAM USA - the pros-- would get beat or have huge troubles internationally vs the other physical teams?

As I said about Strother- you can see I am more optimistic about players that can shoot and wings and guards. I value that over a strong post presence. I don't want to make it sound like there is only one way on thigns and we can all be wrong. So overall we can agree to disagree. IMO it seems you get more concerned over posts and physical play- I am more concerned over Muffett type teams where they have real good guard play. And this year going vs Maryland if we ever meet- I am more concerned over their 3 guard lineup than their center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom