At least one UCONN fan thinks we aren't a top 10 team next year. Thoughts? | The Boneyard

At least one UCONN fan thinks we aren't a top 10 team next year. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
From the game thread:
Overall, the bench play should be worrisome, not for this year but for next year. Take away Stewie, Moriah, and Tuck (yes, I think she's gone), and we're not a Top 10 team..
Agree? Disagree?

Reaction Score
We're losing Stewie and Mo at minimum so that's a yuuuuuuuuge step down. KLS and Collier will make the sophomore leap. Gabby will be even more Gabulous. Of course we'll have at least Kia returning and hopefully Tuck too. Chong looks pretty good in the time she is getting. Obviously she won't be Mo, no one ever will be, but she'll be fine alongside Kia next year. We will definitely be top 10 next year.

Reaction Score
That's absurd.

I have no doubt we'll be top three even without Tuck, assuming we're healthy.

Every year BYers overrate the impact that the loss of a superstar (or two in this case) will have on a given program. ND, Baylor and Stanford have all held up way better than BYers projected in the face of losing superstars. Yes, the loss of Mo and Bre (and possibly Tuck) will have a really big impact. But the gap between UConn and the #11 team in the country is cavernous. Barring injuries you can absolutely count on another F4 appearance next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Crylstal Dangerfield be an impact player and she has the luxury of playing with Kia to take the pressure off her. Kyla will add depth in the post and, again, can take time to develop.

Napheesa is going to score the pants off of posts next year. She's starting to look like a big Barb Turner/Swin Cash combo. She and Gabby are going to be hard to corral in the paint, especially since Geno's going to make them widen their games out to the arc.

Reaction Score
Will they be top 10? Absolutely. The better question is where in the top four will they be. IMO, Butler will be the key. If the Butler we saw today is real then we will be 3 or 4. If the Butler we've seen in some of her earlier games is the real Butler then we'll be one or two.

Reaction Score
Will they be top 10? Absolutely. The better question is where in the top four will they be. IMO, Butler will be the key. If the Butler we saw today is real then we will be 3 or 4. If the Butler we've seen in some of her earlier games is the real Butler then we'll be one or two.
If Tuck comes back Butler will still be a backup. I think next year Gabby and Chong take the starting spots.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
  1. Chong, Butler, Gabby, Ekmark, Nurse, KLS, Collier, Crystal, plus Bent/Irwin, certainly all sound like the core of the team who were a #1 seed and near-national finalist in 2012. That's a lot of talent, and if Tuck does return, I'd be genuinely surprised by anything short of the national semis.

Reaction Score
  1. Chong, Butler, Gabby, Ekmark, Nurse, KLS, Collier, Crystal, plus Bent/Irwin, certainly all sound like the core of the team who were a #1 seed and near-national finalist in 2012. That's a lot of talent, and if Tuck does return, I'd be genuinely surprised by anything short of the national semis.
Ditto.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree that without Tuck next year UCONN in not a top 10 team-More like a top 3! This is just the kind of challenge the returning UCONN player will need.

Reaction Score
As a poster said before - "ABSURD" to think we won't be top ten next year if we lose all of the Big Three. For anyone to even contemplate we'd be outside of that they would have to be a huge huge huge huge overall pessimist, under the belief that UCONN will be playing many professional teams in the top 9, and doesn't want to give any future credit for improvement to any of our players-- just the other team's players. The only other reason I can think of anyone being so negative is that they overvalue big center power post play.

UCONN won't have a true backup center. Other than that

Guards- a terrific core of Nurse, Chong and Dangerfield. I think Ekmark can be good enough as a sg - expect further improvement from her -BUT KLS can play sg too. Backcourt is fine. The backcourt is imo the most important positions on the floor overall. Stewie acknowledged last year it was MoJeff that was most outstanding ff player. Stewie is greater player certainly-- but in regards to being top ten if you have our backcourt, you are a lock for a top ten.

SF -- The lockdown player for this position is KLS on offense. So depending on the circumstance/the team you can have multiple variations when she is out. You play teams like DePaul for example - you can have Nurse play the sf for 10 minutes with Chong and Dangerfield in the backcourt. For a team like Maryland who plays with 3 guards, a pf that pops from the outside which allows room for the center - KLS can guard the pf while either Gabby or Collier guard the more explosive wings. If KLS is out you have EITHER Napheesa or Gabby being interchangeable at guarding the 3/4 positions. So next year we have FOUR options at the sf in which KLS in the number 1 option offensively and UCONN can move her to the sg or pf if the sf is prolific enough to cause her great troubles. What the pessimist might not realize here is that the other teams in the top 9 are college teams too.

PF -- Overall it is for Gabby and Collier. In which KLS can play there too as long as the pf isn't a power post that can rebound and score a lot - KLS WILL GET STRONGER. She doesn't have to be "Dennis Rodman" in order to play decent enough as a pf not having to guard the other teams' top player at the pf position. We have quality at the pf position.

And none of this includes Irwin or Bent. Probably Irwin is more important for next year - but I don't get those who totally dismiss she can't play 5 minutes or something.

Reaction Score
Not really worth arguing, when no supporting data/information/assumptions have been provided. But just fer funsies...

Who is going to challenge next year? Baylor looks good, and if Louisville will grow up emotionally, they will be good as well. ND loses their primary offensive weapon, and as good as Turner is, she has not shown that she can handle that position (then again, neither had Cable until this year). South Carolina loses their backcourt; bigs are only as good as the people getting them the ball. Is Stanford ready to come back to the forefront? Will Tennessee suddenly see the Light?

We lose a bunch, but make some nice gains in the new class and still have a GREAT bunch of players with a LOT of experience. We're a Top 5 team without the newbies and Butler still re-learning the game. With them and a resurgent Butler, we're fighting for #1, but there is nothing unanimous about it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Morgan has said she will return for next year. Until she says otherwise, I will ignore this type of stuff.

We will contend next year as this year as a top three or four team.. Undefeated, probably not.

And as a reminder, many of our opponents will also be loosing key players. Besides, we have Geno, CD, Shea and Marissa - they don't.

Reaction Score
UConn's failure to sign a big the last two go-arounds may come home to roost next year. If both Stewart and Tuck leave, the interior defense (and offense) leaves with them. I, too, think Irwin may be a help in shoring up the interior, and I hope that Lou becomes a much stronger presence inside (a 6'4" player is a terrible thing to waste). But these are unknowns. Gabby and Napheesa will help, though neither has the size to dominate as Bre does. Can't see Chong as a starter, so big hopes for Crystal coming in. Next year may be about playing with guards and forwards. I have faith that Geno will meld another strong team, and I'll try not to think about this until Stewart cuts down the net at nationals.

Reaction Score
I think we will be very young, but I think we have a lot of talent. With that being said, I think Lou has a chance to really be a 20ppg scorer and could be an AA for 3 seasons. Her game is that good. I also think we will see more of the kind of impact Kia has on her national team, next year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Butler played great in her 1st UConn Game. Since then in most games she's had hands of Stone and allows smaller players to push her around. IMHO as of today, she's not ready to be the starting center for this team next year. Don't think Geno would start her either, even if Morgan leaves. IF Butler doesn't play at a level to be the starting center and Morgan leaves, it will be difficult for the team to be a Top 10 team. Butler and Morgan are the key to the team being a Top 10 team next year.

Reaction Score
UConn's failure to sign a big the last two go-arounds may come home to roost next year. If both Stewart and Tuck leave, the interior defense (and offense) leaves with them. I, too, think Irwin may be a help in shoring up the interior, and I hope that Lou becomes a much stronger presence inside (a 6'4" player is a terrible thing to waste). But these are unknowns. Gabby and Napheesa will help, though neither has the size to dominate as Bre does. Can't see Chong as a starter, so big hopes for Crystal coming in. Next year may be about playing with guards and forwards. I have faith that Geno will meld another strong team, and I'll try not to think about this until Stewart cuts down the net at nationals.

I agree with you overall tone and we'll be more of a guard and forward team yet I don't agree with some things you say.

1-- All KLS has to do is play decent inside defense. I don't agree her size "is wasted" though by not having "a much stronger inside presence." She is a player that NEEDS to hit outside shots otherwise she becomes a not very athletic pf (if she can't shoot from the outside and she would struggle guarding quick wings then she doesn't belong on the wing.). KLS is a wing, so imo she needs to use her size to get off shots from anywhere depending on the opponent that is guarding her and how well her point is going.

I agree that KLS "needs to do other things other than shoot" however KLS does NOT need to be Dennis Rodman defensively inside or on the glass. She just has to get tougher than what she is now but doesn't need to stop being a wing that can bury threes and guard n the perimeter.

2-- We had Doty start most games 4 years ago and she was a shell of her former self. Chong has played well this year overall - and unless her injury tears her down- she is a better player than Doty was as a senior. For me - this year from what I've seen - I am now sold on Chong able to compete vs the top tier teams. Which games was she over-matched? She is better than Doty was comparing Doty from 4 years ago to a Chong that is a junior and will probably be even better next year.

Reaction Score
I agree with you overall tone and we'll be more of a guard and forward team yet I don't agree with some things you say.

1-- All KLS has to do is play decent inside defense. I don't agree her size "is wasted" though by not having "a much stronger inside presence." She is a player that NEEDS to hit outside shots otherwise she becomes a not very athletic pf (if she can't shoot from the outside and she would struggle guarding quick wings then she doesn't belong on the wing.). KLS is a wing, so imo she needs to use her size to get off shots from anywhere depending on the opponent that is guarding her and how well her point is going.

I agree that KLS "needs to do other things other than shoot" however KLS does NOT need to be Dennis Rodman defensively inside or on the glass. She just has to get tougher than what she is now but doesn't need to stop being a wing that can bury threes and guard n the perimeter.

2-- We had Doty start most games 4 years ago and she was a shell of her former self. Chong has played well this year overall - and unless her injury tears her down- she is a better player than Doty was as a senior. For me - this year from what I've seen - I am now sold on Chong able to compete vs the top tier teams. Which games was she over-matched? She is better than Doty was comparing Doty from 4 years ago to a Chong that is a junior and will probably be even better next year.

Some good thoughts, hh. At the moment, Lou is (IMO), a good ball handler, an exceptional passer, and should be a major offensive force. What's missing? Her learning, as Bre did, to play inside to take advantage of her height and length as a scorer, rebounder, and shot blocker. Stewart's evolution featured the acquisition of every essential skill and then some. She was not a sturdy presence in the post as a freshman, but she became the best player in the country, a true all-around talent. That's the hope for Lou. She more than anyone else looks like a Brenna Stewart, in progress, of course.

Reaction Score
Butler played great in her 1st UConn Game. Since then in most games she's had hands of Stone and allows smaller players to push her around. IMHO as of today, she's not ready to be the starting center for this team next year. Don't think Geno would start her either, even if Morgan leaves. IF Butler doesn't play at a level to be the starting center and Morgan leaves, it will be difficult for the team to be a Top 10 team. Butler and Morgan are the key to the team being a Top 10 team next year.

I disagree with everything you've said. IMO you're wrong. First off Butler has played well in other games not just in the one game you are singling her out thus you are exaggerating. Secondly - I think it wrong for you use the words "push around" as a general statement. Today - I thought she was out-quicked. Everything she did was like it was in slow motion.

By the way - we all make wrong make predictions (heck I always thought Ann Strother was going to be super great) - but weren't you one of the posters from last year that thought UCONN would be in the most trouble vs teams like South Carolina and Duke? Especially South Carolina because of the post play?

Also, weren't you the same poster that thought TEAM USA - the pros-- would get beat or have huge troubles internationally vs the other physical teams?

As I said about Strother- you can see I am more optimistic about players that can shoot and wings and guards. I value that over a strong post presence. I don't want to make it sound like there is only one way on thigns and we can all be wrong. So overall we can agree to disagree. IMO it seems you get more concerned over posts and physical play- I am more concerned over Muffett type teams where they have real good guard play. And this year going vs Maryland if we ever meet- I am more concerned over their 3 guard lineup than their center.

Reaction Score

Exactly the words I was thinking watching Butler: Hands of Stone, the moniker for Roberto Duran. Good for a boxer, not so much for a basketball center. Manos de piedra. Right now, w/out strong hands, Natalie is playing much smaller than her height.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One thing lost on a lot of people is how many minutes and quality playing time our bench players have received this year. The players needing step up next year will already have a great deal of experience and I mean experience of how the game is to be played at its best.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Morgan has said she will return for next year. Until she says otherwise, I will ignore this type of stuff.
It has been a while Summer of 2015 since Morgan has been as definitive as to say she will return. Much has changed since the summer specifically her missing 4 games recently. The lastest can be found in this article:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...men-memphis-notebook-0131-20160130-story.html
which includes this very thoughtful quote: "I think about it," Tuck said. "I know my professional career is going to be a lot shorter than I would want it to be. I thought I'd be able to play until my mid-30s. I do think about my longevity because my dream, since I was 14, has been to play in the WNBA. I'm trying to assess everything at my disposal, not just think about the present."

Good luck in pursuit of your dream Morgan, You have been and are a Joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom