As I have said before and Pal and othes with remind you | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As I have said before and Pal and othes with remind you

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sports aren't interesting when they aren't competitive.

Given your position on UConn FB over WBB or Men's soccer, you may have achieved a near perfect score in irony.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Given your position on UConn FB over WBB or Men's soccer, you may have achieved a near perfect score in irony.

I was only referring to WBB with that comment.

I know my positions are crazy on this topic - since only about 99% of the population agrees with me.

None of you would give a rat's a** about women's basketball if they went 18-10 every year.

Reaction Score
Many more college baseball players have as well and college baseball sucks too.

You are actually saying the level of play in college baseball sucks with all those future pros too? Really?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are actually saying the level of play in college baseball sucks with all those future pros too? Really?

LOL. There is a pretty big difference between producing professionals to the NBA and producing professionals to MLS.

You like college soccer - good for you. Understand there is a reason 99.9% of the population doesn't even know it exists.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yeah the level of play sucks at some professional levels too. Do you scratch your head wondering why nobody goes to NY Penn league games?

Reaction Score
LOL. There is a pretty big difference between producing professionals to the NBA and producing professionals to MLS.

You like college soccer - good for you. Understand there is a reason 99.9% of the population doesn't even know it exists.

A sports popularity has nothing to do with its level of play. If a college sport is producing professionals at a constant rate, its level of play must be pretty good.
Whether anybody cares or not doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
Yeah the level of play sucks at some professional levels too. Do you scratch your head wondering why nobody goes to NY Penn league games?

No, because I know half of those teams play in towns of 25,000 or so people.
The ones that play in bigger cities? They actually draw very well.

Reaction Score
If you think last night's game was better than ANY other UConn sport you should consider moving to Stockholm where your cognitive dissonance currently resides.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A sports popularity has nothing to do with its level of play. If a college sport is producing professionals at a constant rate, its level of play must be pretty good.
Whether anybody cares or not doesn't matter.

Yes there is no correlation between level of play and popularity.

Except for the correlation is almost perfect - especially in soccer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Question for you:

Do you prefer that only 0.1% of the population is aware that UConn has a competitive soccer team with a few championships or that 99.9% of the population is aware of the UConn football program for all the wrong reasons that are making us a national joke?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Question for you:

Do you prefer that only 0.1% of the population is aware that UConn has a competitive soccer team with a few championships or that 99.9% of the population is aware of the UConn football program for all the wrong reasons that are making us a national joke?

I don't define my self-worth by how others perceive UConn athletics. Therefore I don't have to pretend that I give a damn if the field hockey team wins.

Those that need to prop themselves up can find their comfort with women's basketball or field hockey or men's soccer.

Just don't pretend when one does this they are anything but a frontrunner.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
College baseball sucks, college soccer sucks, womens BB sucks.......................
I disagree with so much of this but to each their own
it would be so difficult for me to be so strongly opinionated to use a wide brush and paint so many things negative
BTW -the 99% figure that whaler11 is throwing all over the place is total BS - you cant buy tickets to many SEC,BIG12 Mens baseball games
College soccer is huge in the Midwest and west coast and even UConn draws nice crowds - everything is relative

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't define my self-worth by how others perceive UConn athletics. Therefore I don't have to pretend that I give a damn if the field hockey team wins.

Those that need to prop themselves up can find their comfort with women's basketball or field hockey or men's soccer.

SMH
plain and simple - SMH
WOW

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
SMH
plain and simple - SMH
WOW

You let me know the reason then why all these people who identify themselves as 'UConn fans' abandon teams when they are bad then.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Who said anything about "self worth". That's a douchenozzle comment right there. I'm a Mets and Jets fan from way back and now a die-hard season-ticket holding Pirates fan since before they turned things around. I've followed plenty of suck in my lifetime, lol. When you stick with a team through two seasons of Rich Kotite... enough said.

I'm also of the late 70s vintage alumni who recalls when home soccer games outdrew football.

UConn football is not a watchable product at present. Sports is entertainment. Entertainment should be, well, "entertaining".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who said anything about "self worth". That's a douchenozzle comment right there. I'm a Mets and Jets fan from way back and now a die-hard season-ticket holding Pirates fan since before they turned things around. I've followed plenty of suck in my lifetime, lol. When you stick with a team through two seasons of Rich Kotite... enough said.

I'm also of the late 70s vintage alumni who recalls when home soccer games outdrew football.

UConn football is not a watchable product at present. Sports is entertainment. Entertainment should be, well, "entertaining".

Which of course is my point about college soccer. Almost no one watches it because it's not even remotely entertaining to the vast majority of people.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Which of course is my point about college soccer. Almost no one watches it because it's not even remotely entertaining to the vast majority of people.

So your self-worth is tied to only those things that are the most popular. Got it.

Enjoy your dinner at Olive Garden.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So your self-worth is tied to only those things that are the most popular. Got it.

Enjoy your dinner at Olive Garden.

LOL - this doesn't even make any sense.

I'm not the one walking away because the team is bad or worried about what the perception of outsiders are. Since I can't impact the results - they don't hurt my feelings.

Reaction Score

Again, if a sports highest levels consists of players from college, it can't be argued that the level of play in college sucks. You can keep doubling down on stupid all you want, nothing is going to change that for you.
Your logic says:
The Florida Marlons draw flies, so the level of MLB sucks.
The Nets can't sell out in Brooklyn, NBA level of play sucks
The Whalers left because the level of NHL play sucked
See how stupid this is?

Time for your next twist....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Guys, Whaler doesn't want to watch the other teams. There's nothing wrong with that.

Of course the other teams have good players and exciting play that people care about. The womens' hoops team didn't get a multimillion dollar contact with SNY because nobody wants to watch...

Reaction Score
Btw you can like UCONN and PSU.

I also back the Badgers. There really is no conflict. Or ConnFLiCT.

That's just it. I bleed PSU Blue and White. That will NEVER change. That said I can still watch other games and have a rooting interest. I've rooted for Uconn all year, although admittedly I was more neutral when they played Matt Rhule's Temple last night. I get that the product is currently hard to watch. No I don't think Diaco is the answer to fix it either. It doesn't mean things can't get better. Uconn is committed to playing quality FBS Level Football. They can and will get back to that.

Reaction Score
God damn you all. Seriously. We suck and last night was incredibly painful. Talk about it -- fine. Don't talk about it -- also fine.

But do we all have to see this type of absurd self-centered personal discussions where none of you can ever let go of it. Crap -- how about giving us a break on a painful day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Again, if a sports highest levels consists of players from college, it can't be argued that the level of play in college sucks. You can keep doubling down on stupid all you want, nothing is going to change that for you.
Your logic says:
The Florida Marlons draw flies, so the level of MLB sucks.
The Nets can't sell out in Brooklyn, NBA level of play sucks
The Whalers left because the level of NHL play sucked
See how stupid this is?

Time for your next twist....

Of course it can.

Elementary school bands are full of future college marching band members. Do people go for the quality of music?

That's not my logic at all guy.

The quality of play in sports is almost perfectly correlated to the popularity of the level of sport. This is impossibly obvious to anyone who isn't being obtuse.

College soccer is not popular because people don't find it entertaining in general. So if you are going to make the case you aren't going to support UConn football because it isn't entertaining - don't make the case you are anything but a frontrunner when you are willing to support other UConn teams is sports that are fundamentally unentertaining.

All that means is that you support UConn teams that are good and don't support UConn teams that are bad.

BTW there are pretty much zero college soccer players at the sport's highest levels. This would be why everyone who want the USMNT to be good someday to move away from the entire system. That's how awesome college soccer is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Guys, Whaler doesn't want to watch the other teams. There's nothing wrong with that.

Of course the other teams have good players and exciting play that people care about. The womens' hoops team didn't get a multimillion dollar contact with SNY because nobody wants to watch...

Sorry Dan you missed my point. All apologies to bizlaw who nobody is forcing to read anything.... don't tell me you are out because it isn't entertaining while supporing other unentertaining things because UConn is better at them.

Just man up and say you only support the teams that are good.

Women's basketball was so entertaining UConn had so many fans before they started going to final fours. Oh wait - I'm still friends with players from the late 80's and early 90's and nobody seemed too interested.

Reaction Score
Of course it can.

Elementary school bands are full of future college marching band members. Do people go for the quality of music?

That's not my logic at all guy.

The quality of play in sports is almost perfectly correlated to the popularity of the level of sport. This is impossibly obvious to anyone who isn't being obtuse.

College soccer is not popular because people don't find it entertaining in general. So if you are going to make the case you aren't going to support UConn football because it isn't entertaining - don't make the case you are anything but a frontrunner when you are willing to support other UConn teams is sports that are fundamentally unentertaining.

All that means is that you support UConn teams that are good and don't support UConn teams that are bad.

BTW there are pretty much zero college soccer players at the sport's highest levels. This would be why everyone who want the USMNT to be good someday to move away from the entire system. That's how awesome college soccer is.

Wow
You reach down to 8 year old kids to playing instruments to defend a sports arguement you lost long ago
Then, multiple straw men.
You stated many times that the level of play in these individual college sports suck. Now you are trying to backtrack and imply you were only saying it is a lesser level. Fine, just admit you were wrong. Everybody can see your posts, you are not fooling anybody.

I never once mentioned Uconn football supporting/ not supporting

Here is another clue. USMNT is actually pretty good. Do you know how many national teams there are in the world? And how many have soccer as their national sport? The fact that we are not only making the World Cup on a regular basis and now make the knockout rounds is pretty darn good. Is England doing better? Are they not that highest level you are talking about? There is maybe 6-8 teams we might have trouble beating, after that we can play with anyone.
To be good someday, that's a good one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom