AQ Status for Conferences Gone | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AQ Status for Conferences Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would you kindly point out the post that said the Big East was comparable to the SEC? It's quite clear from this thread that they have better fans. I suggest you, ZLS and "BigEastConference" retire as fans, and put yourselves out to pasture where you can wax poetic on the glory days of "AQ status" and the prestige it once brought to Big East football. I'll look forward to better days ahead.

Whatever you say, Baghdad Bob.

pj

Reaction Score
Butchy - Yes. That's why UConn's future in college football depends on developing NYC. Building a fan following in NYC would ensure bit TV revenue and a solid place on the college football map.

Not saying it's easy. BC's pitch has been they could develop Boston as a college football market. Hasn't happened yet.

Reaction Score
Butchy - Yes. That's why UConn's future in college football depends on developing NYC. Building a fan following in NYC would ensure bit TV revenue and a solid place on the college football map.

Not saying it's easy. BC's pitch has been they could develop Boston as a college football market. Hasn't happened yet.
We need to stretch downward into Greenwich. That would be a good start.

Reaction Score
We need to stretch downward into Greenwich. That would be a good start.

I agree. Greenwich is a start. It's UConn. I guess we do have some casual NYC basketball fans but we are not NYC's team and never will be. We need to focus on getting CT all on board.

Reaction Score
And the picture becomes clearer yet. Looks like the Big East will still be considered one of the Big 6 when all is said and done which should be a relief for all fans of UConn football and the other remaining and new Big East members. If Big East members want to go to big boy bowls they have to do the same thing as the schools from the other conferences. Win a whole lot of games during the regular season while losing hardly any. Most 1 and 2 loss teams from the Big 6 conferences will still be making the BCS or whatever it'll be called going forward.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2012/04/4-team_college_football_playof.html

Multiple outlets camped out in Hollywood, Fla., on Friday reported that FBS conference commissioners were close to agreeing on a bowl-oriented format for a 4-team playoff to determine the national champion of college football.
Which means two things:
The big six conferences and Notre Dame have figured out a way to keep the five have-not conferences out of the big money.
The oily businessmen who run the bowls still have their sticky fingers in the pie.

------------------

There've been a few evacuees from those leagues lately. Utah managed to jump in with the Pac-12. The others, right now, are more like boat people. Boise State, Houston, Southern Methodist and San Diego State have taken the gamble of joining a sort of western division of a Big East desperate to retain its BCS status. Memphis, Temple and Central Florida have also signed up. Considering their alternative, they have virtually nothing to lose. We'll see if the new far-flung Big East passes muster.
But everyone else in those small-money FBS conferences will continue to live with the inherent virtual impossibility of ranking in any top 4 no matter if they go undefeated. They simply can't get the voting respect and computer ranking necessary without playing in one of the six major conferences.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I agree. Greenwich is a start. It's UConn. I guess we do have some casual NYC basketball fans but we are not NYC's team and never will be. We need to focus on getting CT all on board.

PP is doing a good job of this on a personal level effort. its time for uconn media/reaching out wise to match him.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
And the picture becomes clearer yet. Looks like the Big East will still be considered one of the Big 6 when all is said and done which should be a relief for all fans of UConn football and the other remaining and new Big East members. If Big East members want to go to big boy bowls they have to do the same thing as the schools from the other conferences. Win a whole lot of games during the regular season while losing hardly any. Most 1 and 2 loss teams from the Big 6 conferences will still be making the BCS or whatever it'll be called going forward.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2012/04/4-team_college_football_playof.html

Multiple outlets camped out in Hollywood, Fla., on Friday reported that FBS conference commissioners were close to agreeing on a bowl-oriented format for a 4-team playoff to determine the national champion of college football.
Which means two things:
The big six conferences and Notre Dame have figured out a way to keep the five have-not conferences out of the big money.
The oily businessmen who run the bowls still have their sticky fingers in the pie.

------------------

There've been a few evacuees from those leagues lately. Utah managed to jump in with the Pac-12. The others, right now, are more like boat people. Boise State, Houston, Southern Methodist and San Diego State have taken the gamble of joining a sort of western division of a Big East desperate to retain its BCS status. Memphis, Temple and Central Florida have also signed up. Considering their alternative, they have virtually nothing to lose. We'll see if the new far-flung Big East passes muster.
But everyone else in those small-money FBS conferences will continue to live with the inherent virtual impossibility of ranking in any top 4 no matter if they go undefeated. They simply can't get the voting respect and computer ranking necessary without playing in one of the six major conferences.
The devil you know...

Reaction Score
We can all complain about the process of coming up with the BCS rankings during the regular season but I personally cannot find much to complain about if the top ten ranked teams are guaranteed a spot in one of the top bowls with the top 4 all having a shot to compete for the title. If this is what we end up with it'll be light years ahead of the current system. The New Big East still has multiple teams that have finished the regular season ranked in the top ten over the past decade. All the Big East has to do is not suck and it will be OK. Not saying it's perfect but the doom and gloom, all is lost predictions, do not appear as if they will come to fruition.

Reaction Score
If what I understand to be correct, IS correct, and time will tell. Is that Marinatto and Slive were paired up when those guys down there in Florida went into small group "discussions" this past week to figure out what ideas work and what doesn't.

If that is the case, and that means that they're seriously looking at scrapping and re-evaluating such that a ranking system is established - that youknow - actually is fair and makes sense for seeding a playoff?

Well, Marinatto just made Dave Gavitt look down and be damn proud for the Big East. Because the Big East and big east BASKETBALL - combined with football is poised to take a new media deal come fall 2012 for regular season competition, and right after the big east talks open up for regular season sale, the college football post season playoff is going to rake in a television contract that will dwarf what the BCS was able to provide for revenue distribution among all 11 conferences in football revenue.

The big east isn't going anywhere folks, and just like in 2003, when nobody (including our own cynical fans) believed it could get stronger - the big east will be stronger than ever.

Do unto others as you would have done to you. I'm proud of the way UConn has handled ourselves in the intercollegiate landscape during these times.

Reaction Score
If NYC college football is so big, why is NYC high school football so small? Why do NYC high schools produce 4 BCS recruits a year? Not everything in NYC is big.

I think in the end we know how this will turn out. It will be like major league baseball. Money will go to teams in proportion to fan base and media market size, but there will have to be some redistribution from the rich teams to the middle class so that there can be enough competition to maintain fan interest and maximize the pie, just like the Yankees have to pay luxury tax to the Pirates. The elite teams win most years, but middle class teams have an outside shot once in a while.

Hi PJ. The short answer to your first question is the Ivy League. The long anwer is how and why, it's the Ivy League.

The Ivy league gave birth to American college football, and was New York City's conference until they decided that the purity of competition in football was being corrupted by money -and yes - there was a time when New York City was indeed college football's 'mecca'. THe Ivy' are in need of no money from media enterprises, and New York City has been without a college football conference for far too long. I'm watching with a giant smile on my face as John Marinatto works to make that happen, because Mike Tranghese sh(t the bed for 20 years.

The Ivy league brought the rise of college football to the entire United States, and it squashed it's importance from youth to adults in the northeast while it continue to grow across the country.

College football is coming back in the northeast though, and UConn is right in the middle of it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
[quote{

The big east isn't going anywhere folks[/quote]

Exactly.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nobody.

Anywhere.

Gives a .

About the ivy league.

Not me. Not my gf who went to columbia. Not her family who went to columbia.

Wellington Mara is dead. George Steinbrenner is dead. The NYAC is dead.

Grow up, Carl. Pull your ass out of 1965.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the best thing that ever happened for the non-major conferences. Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't understand just how seismic this change is. We will be at a 16 team playoff by the end of the decade, and playoff where participation will be determined by quality of play, not popularity.

The majors will still dominate, because they have the most money, but everyone else will at least have a chance.

Reaction Score
This is the best thing that ever happened for the non-major conferences. Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't understand just how seismic this change is. We will be at a 16 team playoff by the end of the decade, and playoff where participation will be determined by quality of play, not popularity.

The majors will still dominate, because they have the most money, but everyone else will at least have a chance.

I'm not sure about how quickly the field for the playoff will expand but I agree with you 100% that this is the best thing that ever happened to the non-major programs. It's also, contrary to popular belief, the best thing that could have happened for the Big East at this point in time. There is still a reasonable chance that a BE team can finish in the top 10 in any given year and it looks like we'll be on the power 6 side of the revenue distribution set-up. Any UConn fan who doesn't take this as a huge relief doesn't really understand where it appears this is headed.

Reaction Score
The college football markets in Connecticut and New York really are undervalued. I think NY easily rivals the elite states, as a market.

Forget Times Square unless use is part of an integrated program. One of the best, most efficient, ways to inform Fairfield (and parts of Westchester) County about UCONN football is use of the access/egress opportunities presented by Metro-north and Grand Central Station. Every work-day provides a captured and semi-captured group with an outstanding demographic profile.

"750,000 people (including a substantial number of Metro-North users**) pass through Grand Central daily and over 1,000,000 people during the holidays

Metro-North passengers are 55% male and 45% female, the median age is 41. 93% of Grand Central Terminal commuters are college graduates.

Mean household income for Grand Central Terminal commuters is $95,800; 50% of household incomes are over $100,000, and 20% are over $200,000."

Easy to target, more difficult but, not impossible, to create interest.

** My thoughts; not part of demographic info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer