AQ Status for Conferences Gone | The Boneyard

AQ Status for Conferences Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If any writer deserved to be called a c***, it is Andrea Adelson. What writer craps on their target audience like she does?

We are in the third inning of this negotiation. The BCS bowls aren't really BCS bowls if there is a playoff. They are just bowls.

Reaction Score
Like I always said it would, no reason for Boise St and SD St to join the BE now with the AQ gone. Sucks to be in the BE with no clear road to a BCS game. Now it's all about strength of schedule, the SEC, PAC 12 ,B10 and ND must be all very happy right about now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Like I always said it would, no reason for Boise St and SD St to join the BE now with the AQ gone. Sucks to be in the BE with no clear road to a BCS game. Now it's all about strength of schedule, the SEC, PAC 12 ,B10 and ND must be all very happy right about now.

So Boise State and SD State should go back to a depleted Mtn West, get a worse tv deal, all while worsening their strength of schedule?

Cincy would have been in the "Playoffs" 3 years ago.

If they can do it, so can we can.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Would love to hear the conversations about how to divvie up the money....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

So if it all comes down to the strength of schedule, explain to me again why Boise and SDSU would stay in the MW? So you think that playing against New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming and the like is better than playing against UConn, L'Ville, Cincy, USF, and Rutgers?

The bottom line is that none of that matters. This will still be a "voter-based, name-recognition" system at the end of the day, like it has always been, because it is being shaped by the institutions that have controlled 1-A football to begin with. And that means that Notre Dame with 1 loss gets in before Boise with 1 loss, no matter which conference Boise chooses. So with that said, it seems relatively clear to me that the NBE will bring in a much better tv contract than the MW. Boise State and SDSU will join us for the same reason that SyraPitt joined the ACC and WVUTCU joined the Big12; better money.

Reaction Score
So if it all comes down to the strength of schedule, explain to me again why Boise and SDSU would stay in the MW? So you think that playing against New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming and the like is better than playing against UConn, L'Ville, Cincy, USF, and Rutgers?

The bottom line is that none of that matters. This will still be a "voter-based, name-recognition" system at the end of the day, like it has always been, because it is being shaped by the institutions that have controlled 1-A football to begin with. And that means that Notre Dame with 1 loss gets in before Boise with 1 loss, no matter which conference Boise chooses. So with that said, it seems relatively clear to me that the NBE will bring in a much better tv contract than the MW. Boise State and SDSU will join us for the same reason that SyraPitt joined the ACC and WVUTCU joined the Big12; better money.

This is not about TV money, the BE is not negotiating from a position of strength, if the B10 and ACC expand, there is no more BE. What ever the BE is able to get from any TV contract would offset Boise St and SD St's travel costs.

The SEC, B10 and PAC 12 will have multiple teams playing for a national champ. How the hell do you think the teams will be determined? I'll tell you, strength of schedule will be a major factor in deciding who plays for the national championship.

Reaction Score
The AQ status did nothing for the Big East except make us a media punching bag. Thank goodness we no longer have to hear how our conference doesn't deserve AQ status.

And if we are now shut out of the "big four" bowls why should we care? The bowl games have lost their prestige, the public has caught on to the fact that they are meaningless exhibitions that lose money for the schools. UCONN's payout for the Fiesta bowl was an impressive ($3,000,000).

Reaction Score
The AQ status did nothing for the Big East except make us a media punching bag. Thank goodness we no longer have to hear how our conference doesn't deserve AQ status.

And if we are now shut out of the "big four" bowls why should we care? The bowl games have lost their prestige, the public has caught on to the fact that they are meaningless exhibitions that lose money for the schools. UCONN's payout for the Fiesta bowl was an impressive ($3,000,000).

You should care, unless you like following CUSA or the MAC.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is not about TV money, the BE is not negotiating from a position of strength, if the B10 and ACC expand, there is no more BE. What ever the BE is able to get from any TV contract would offset Boise St and SD St's travel costs.

The SEC, B10 and PAC 12 will have multiple teams playing for a national champ. How the hell do you think the teams will be determined? I'll tell you, strength of schedule will be a major factor in deciding who plays for the national championship.

Are you saying that the likely $6,000,000+ difference between our tv contract and theirs would only "offset" their travel costs??? What planet are you from? Are they travelling to Alpha Centauri?? I know that jet fuel is expensive nowadays, but 6 million dollars expensive? Wow.

As for the strength of schedule (which I have not disagreed with you), again, I ask you; why would a Mountain West strength of schedule trump a Big East strength of schedule? Unless Boise can play themselves 11 times a year, it doesn't. So please explain to me what on earth, or alpha centauri, you are talking about...

Reaction Score
Are you saying that the likely $6,000,000+ difference between our tv contract and theirs would only "offset" their travel costs??? What planet are you from? Are they travelling to Alpha Centauri?? I know that jet fuel is expensive nowadays, but 6 million dollars expensive? Wow.

As for the strength of schedule (which I have not disagreed with you), again, I ask you; why would a Mountain West strength of schedule trump a Big East strength of schedule? Unless Boise can play themselves 11 times a year, it doesn't. So please explain to me what on earth, or alpha centauri, you are talking about...

1. We are not just talking about football travel, but the entire sports travel, how many programs does the BE have? That is a lot of dough, it very well might be alpha centauri.

2. Does it really matter comparing the 6th and 7th conference SOS? I mean really, we are not talking about the MWC and the ACC SOS, this is the BE where Rutgers plays Army, Howard and FI year after year. You're really not increasing your SOS that much by joining the BE, it's better I'll give you that, but not by that much to make an impact as to the BE sending a team to a national champ game.

I'm not going to debate this much further cause I don't like getting into online forum pissing matches, but I won't be too surprised if Boise St doesn't end up joining the BE. I hope they do, we shall see.

Reaction Score
With AQ gone, and it shouldn't be surprise, the only draw the football conference now had has now evaporated.

Reaction Score
1. We are not just talking about football travel, but the entire sports travel, how many programs does the BE have? That is a lot of dough, it very well might be alpha centauri.

2. Does it really matter comparing the 6th and 7th conference SOS? I mean really, we are not talking about the MWC and the ACC SOS, this is the BE where Rutgers plays Army, Howard and FI year after year. You're really not increasing your SOS that much by joining the BE, it's better I'll give you that, but not by that much to make an impact as to the BE sending a team to a national champ game.

I'm not going to debate this much further cause I don't like getting into online forum pissing matches, but I won't be too surprised if Boise St doesn't end up joining the BE. I hope they do, we shall see.

Actually, we are only talking football travel here. At least for Boise and SDST we are.

I don't see how anyone can put a positive spin on this. As great as last year was for UConn athletics, this year has been equally miserable.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Guys, fcking Cincy of all teams would have made the playoffs in the 2009 season.

Win the BE and be ranked within the top 3 conf champs to get into the playoffs,

OR

Win the BE and be ranked within the top 14 to get into the "bcs" bowls.

If the BE sucks as much as we all say it will, then let's go out and do it.

I repeat, Cincinnat would have been in the playoffs...UConn can do this.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's up to a team from the Big East to go undefeated. And the last couple of seasons all the Big East has managed to do is beat up on each other.

Reaction Score
It's up to a team from the Big East to go undefeated. And the last couple of seasons all the Big East has managed to do is beat up on each other.

No. What they have done is s*** the bed against OOC's, particularly from the other BCS conferences.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No. What they have done is s*** the bed against OOC's, particularly from the other BCS conferences.
That too. Having a team go undefeated is crazy hard. But, that's what it will take.

Reaction Score
If there was a 4 team playoff when Cincy was good I bet somehow they would have ended up ranked 5th and just out of contention. It will still be votes dominated by the big boy conferences.

pj

Reaction Score
The money is determined by fans and TV markets, and the Big East has 3 times the fan base of the MWC.

If Boise State's travel costs increased by $500 per person per game (unlikely) for 5 road games and they send 100 people per game, that's $250,000 per year. Small compared to the revenue bump.

It's not going to be easy for a Big East team to go undefeated if the schools have less money than SEC/B1G/Pac12. The things that impress recruits and coaches cost money.

Reaction Score

Translation: The NBE teams went from having access to one of the top games and a split of the payout associated with it to having limited to no access to the games that matter (the playoff) and a chance to play only in the bottom tier of the meaningless exhibitions.

Reaction Score
Translation: The NBE teams went from having access to one of the top games and a split of the payout associated with it to having limited to no access to the games that matter (the playoff) and a chance to play only in the bottom tier of the meaningless exhibitions.

Not only that, big 5 conferences will get to keep more of the money than all other conferences.

BTW, has anyone even read a quote from Marinatto? Haven't heard a peep from this guy, not even in protest of the shellacking the BE just got, not surprised though either.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pretty much.

Reaction Score

Why are you assuming our access to the playoff will be less than any other schools access? There are no auto-bids to the playoff. Access will be determined by on the field performance as it should be. Do you think Syracuse being in the ACC will mean they have a better chance of being a top 4 team than we do in the new Big East?

Eventually there will be an 8 team playoff because that is what the fans want. Even fans of the SEC want a larger playoff.

As far as the "top" bowl games go, they are useless right now and the playoff system will destroy them completely. Can anyone off the top of their head name the winners of last years top 4 bowl games? I know I personally didn't watch any of them and I doubt any of them that wasn't deemed a championship game came close to selling out.

The top bowl games are about as important as the NIT tournament, a typewriter, an 8 track tape player, and a television antenna. They are a rusting relic.

Reaction Score
Elimination of AQ vs. non AQ status is a good thing for the Big East folks. That AQ label brought the big east nothing but grief. The important thing going forward is two fold - how the revenue streams are going to be split up around the post season in the future, and #2....how the rankings are determined.

That's all AQ meant anyway - money.....you knew which bowl you were going to if you won your conference and were AQ. The bowls are still going to select conference champions for participation.

The networks will decide how they will disperse money, and the evil empire in Bristol has the opportunity to really drive this thing toward a true playoff by beginning to close the gap in revenue rather than make it wider. We'll see what they do.

The most important thing moving forward at this point, for UConn, and the Big East , is how rankings are going to be determined in the future.

THe entire BCS system of rankings needs to be scrapped and started from scratch with a transparent, and systematic, independantly, and objectively reproducible method of generating rankings that are accurate and precise. A lot of words in there, but basically we need a ranking system based on a set number of factors (TBD) that gets plugged into a computer and spits out the rankings.

No questions, no coaches polls, no subjectivity. The ranking are the rankings.

Establishing that - is the only way that these bowl committees and conference commissioners are going to be able to save face with this so-called playoff they've created.

IF the current BCS methods of rankings are used - it's a complete joke.

REad this from Dennis Dodd - excellent thought process - and it needs to get pushed by the fans and media.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...cs-measuring-sticks-and-in-with-the-dodd-plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom