AQ Status for Conferences Gone | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AQ Status for Conferences Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Pre-BCS, schools like Syr, Pitt, WVa and, even, BC were able to get players that could compete with anybody. UCONN has spent money on FB; money that provided the necessary accoutrement. A little smart promotion, aggressive scheduling, a good coach that excels at "selling the dream" along with the a fore mentioned "stuff" gives UCONN a chance that might be better than it had with the BCS.

To me, the whole concept depends of fair rankings.

It's not even close to the same environment. Back then all TV was controlled by the NCAA and recruiting was mostly regional, except for ND and a few others. PITT and Cuse could develop a good team every now and then from nationally unknown local recruits. Can't do that as easily today. There's too much competition and a kid doesn't have to stay home for his family to see him play.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
They are now referring to them as the big 5. The BE is no longer relevant.

Baloney. The big east is very, very much relevant. The big east is the only conference in the country with regular season inventory that's for sale right now - and we've got a lot of it that's for sale. The regular season inventory of every other conference is tied up for a long, long time, with some of them having signed over all broadcasting to either a single braodcasting company, or have signed over regular season broadcasting to the conference itself....

and the last thing that the rest of the conferences in those situations right now, the former AQ conferences for the post season,......the last thing they want to see is a signficant broadcasting deal for regular season inventory for the big east with the advent of a playoff system in the post season.

Thus - the "value of the regular season" crap that was put out there yesterday.

The Big East conference, with proper focus, as I've said all along, has the best leadership in the country. They've just been focused on tryign to control the intercollegiate landscape with basketball instead of football for 30 years. the providence mafia...... with their priorities straight around football....in the intercollegiate sports landscape, is exactly who I want running my business in this cut throat world.

Reaction Score
It's not even close to the same environment. Back then all TV was controlled by the NCAA and recruiting was mostly regional, except for ND and a few others. PITT and Cuse could develop a good team every now and then from nationally unknown local recruits. Can't do that as easily today. There's too much competition and a kid doesn't have to stay home for his family to see him play.

I'll just say this is wrong, and leave it at that. Very wrong. Nationally unknown recruits? come on.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Without an AQ, we might as well start researching the C-USA TV deal. Because it's the exact same football.

Reaction Score
Baloney.

The Big East conference, with proper focus, as I've said all along, has the best leadership in the country. They've just been focused on tryign to control the intercollegiate landscape with basketball instead of football for 30 years. the providence mafia...... with their priorities straight around football....in the intercollegiate sports landscape, is exactly who I want running my business in this cut throat world.

You can't be serious....

zls44

Reaction Score
You can't be serious....

From a TV standpoint, yes, it is. Other than Boise State, why would you pay a lot of money to televise it? Even the best team isn't going to go to the playoff. Even a great year at Houston/SMU will be eighth fiddle in the state of Texas. Even a great Boise State team is still in a limited TV market, and who knows if they can somehow crack the playoff.

What'd be the point? The only good thing they've got in this scenario is the basketball- and it's a lot worse than the ACC at that.

I'm not even sure long-term why the C-USA teams wouldn't be at the same level of the remaining NBE teams. Why not? What does the Big East have that they don't?

Reaction Score

Never mentioned the word "easy." I do, however, believe it's doable if the right steps are taken and the right people are either on-staff or hired. So much is dependent on having a visionary, believable AD and coach. At this point, it's about fighting for UCONN's perceived and real place in the college FB market. It's about building and managing a product that the "market" considers worth while. With so many attribute in-place, so much money already spent, UCONN can be successful.

zls44

Reaction Score
Never mentioned the word "easy." I do, however, believe it's doable if the right steps are taken and the right people are either on-staff or hired. So much is dependent on having a visionary, believable AD and coach. At this point, it's about fighting for UCONN's perceived and real place in the college FB market. It's about building and managing a product that the "market" considers worth while. With so many attribute in-place, so much money already spent, UCONN can be successful.

C'mon, let's be real. UConn's percieved and real place in the college FB market is exemplified by the fact that for 110 years, UConn had no place in the college FB market.

Reaction Score
From a TV standpoint, yes, it is. Other than Boise State, why would you pay a lot of money to televise it? Even the best team isn't going to go to the playoff. Even a great year at Houston/SMU will be eighth fiddle in the state of Texas. Even a great Boise State team is still in a limited TV market, and who knows if they can somehow crack the playoff.

What'd be the point? The only good thing they've got in this scenario is the basketball- and it's a lot worse than the ACC at that.

I'm not even sure long-term why the C-USA teams wouldn't be at the same level of the remaining NBE teams. Why not? What does the Big East have that they don't?

I was referring to his remarks about BE leadership

Reaction Score

Advertising in Times Square. The Mecca of the College Football world. :rolleyes:

zls44

Reaction Score
Advertising in Times Square. The Mecca of the College Football world. :rolleyes:

That's right!

The really sad part about Carl is that he thinks the SEC and Big 12 are totally incapable of buying ads twice as big in Times Square. You know why they don't?

Because nobody in NYC gives a about college football. It's a waste of time. And yet, their ratings in NYC blow the Big East's out of the water.

Cute ad though! And you used American Eagle! The sixth-douchiest clothing line there is! They can't even get Abercrombie.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1. We are not just talking about football travel, but the entire sports travel, how many programs does the BE have? That is a lot of dough, it very well might be alpha centauri.

2. Does it really matter comparing the 6th and 7th conference SOS? I mean really, we are not talking about the MWC and the ACC SOS, this is the BE where Rutgers plays Army, Howard and FI year after year. You're really not increasing your SOS that much by joining the BE, it's better I'll give you that, but not by that much to make an impact as to the BE sending a team to a national champ game.

I'm not going to debate this much further cause I don't like getting into online forum pissing matches, but I won't be too surprised if Boise St doesn't end up joining the BE. I hope they do, we shall see.

Nobody like a pissing match, including me. And Jimmy Serrano touched on one of your points already, but here's the synopsis:

1) Boise State and SDSU are football-only members, so yes, we are just talking about football travel.

2) Does it really matter comparing the 6th and 7th conference SOSs? No. So why were you doing it in your earlier posts?

3) Based on the statements above, it all comes down to MONEY, which I am feeling pretty confident will be significantly more for the NBE than it will be for the MW. It might not be nearly as good as "the other 5", but it will certainly be better than what Boise State is currently in, and that's all that matters.

4) I share your hopes that they will join the BE.

That's all I was saying, so.....thanks.

Reaction Score
C'mon, let's be real. UConn's percieved and real place in the college FB market is exemplified by the fact that for 110 years, UConn had no place in the college FB market.

My point is that UCONN has a chance to "re-image." Look at the existing "product." The foundation exists and is waiting to be leveraged. It's not necessary to start from scratch. Find, and deal with, the worts/weaknesses. Change the perception. For god sakes, don't roll over and die.

Reaction Score

So now spending marketing dollars in the media capital of the world when we are negotiating a new TV contract is a bad idea? You would prefer ads in Bumblestump Alabama or Moonshine Arkansas?

I'm starting to believe that the biggest obstacle the Big East faces is overcoming the extreme cynicism of its own fans who tend to believe everything ESPN tells them to believe.

Man that easy win over South Carolina seems so long ago.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-we-have-a-plan-bcs-rights-may-be-undervalued

While there has been much discussion about doing away with the “automatic qualifier” labels (top six conferences) and “non-automatic qualifiers” (everyone else), they are going away in name only.
That still-to-be determined revenue distribution and access points will create at least an artificial dividing line between BCS and non-BCS leagues.
“There are still going to be five conferences that are set aside,” said Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said. “I don't have a problem with that.”
That so-called Group of Five includes the Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, Conference USA and Mountain West. Those were the FBS conferences without an automatic BCS bid for their champion in the current system. If one of the five had a team in the BCS, they split 26.4 million (18 percent of the net revenue). If not, they split half of that ($13.2 million, 9 percent).
In 2011, the Group of Five did not have a team in a BCS bowl for the first time since the 2005 season. That was the last year before double hosting in 2006 that created a new BCS bowl for more access.
Benson probably doesn't have a problem because with the TV money likely to double (at least), the Group of Five will be guaranteed something like $30 million per year going forward.

As things become clearer it seems as if the 5 current non-bcs conferences are the ones who are going to continue to be left behind and the BE will at least retain some degree of superiority over them. Our access to marquee bowls will be diminished but I really don't think they're going to be able to actually kick the BE out of the group of six at this point. This article also alluded to the fact that the BE may still be able to get a pretty big TV contract. I also saw an earlier tweet from a BYU reporter that BYU and the BE are still talking. If in fact the B12 is less interested in BYU at this point I could see NBC trying to lure them to the BE to be part of the new TV package with ESPN working to keep them, and by extension the BE in the fold. If what is written above from the CBS article is in fact accurate it seems far more likely that everyone is getting a raise even if some leagues and schools are going to have less access.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Baloney. The big east is very, very much relevant. The big east is the only conference in the country with regular season inventory that's for sale right now - and we've got a lot of it that's for sale. The regular season inventory of every other conference is tied up for a long, long time, with some of them having signed over all broadcasting to either a single braodcasting company, or have signed over regular season broadcasting to the conference itself....

Completely wrong. See the thread on the Mtn going under. Not that I'm shocked at all that you're talking out of your @5@%!@5@@1$#%%

Reaction Score
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/sports/college/football&sa=NCF&eid=7863041

FBS conference commissioners have decided to eliminate designating conferences as "AQ" or "non-AQ" leagues, meaning any team in the top 10 of the final BCS standings would be eligible to play in a BCS bowl game, regardless of its conference affiliation. If BCS officials decide to maintain a pool of 10 teams playing in BCS bowl games, a fifth bowl game probably would be elevated to BCS status, possibly the Cotton Bowl in Dallas or Chick-fil-A Bowl in Atlanta.

This local report from NC indicates that existing bowl tie ins will be respected but that the BCS may elevate another game such as the Cotton Bowl to BCS level in order to invite 10 eligible teams. The fairest way to do this would be then to have the top 10 ranked teams in the BCS standing or whatever the selection criteria is all be automatically included in these top bowl games. The 4 highest ranked would complete in the playoff and the rest would play in the other former BCS bowls. There would still be a bias against the Big East and the non-AQ's but at least you pretty much know what you have to do to make it to one of the top 5 bowl games. Finish in the top 10.

Reaction Score
So now spending marketing dollars in the media capital of the world when we are negotiating a new TV contract is a bad idea? You would prefer ads in Bumblestump Alabama or Moonshine Arkansas?

I'm starting to believe that the biggest obstacle the Big East faces is overcoming the extreme cynicism of its own fans who tend to believe everything ESPN tells them to believe.

Man that easy win over South Carolina seems so long ago.

Yes. It will have ZERO impact on any future TV deal. Got that? ZERO. NONE. NADA. ZILCH.

You know what will have an impact? More eyeballs. Bigger fanbases. Better quality of football. If you and Carl want to close your eyes and imagine that the Big East is anywhere near the SEC in this regard, all the power to you.

Reaction Score
Completely wrong. See the thread on the Mtn going under. Not that I'm shocked at all that you're talking out of your @5@%!@5@@1$#%%

Do you have any clue as to why that network really folded? Obviously not. The network closed business, b/c the merger and formation of a large league of 1-A teams from the left overs of the most recent earthquake in conference shifiting, is being held up by existing television contracts. The report that the merger isn't going to happen is BS.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Do you have any clue as to why that network really folded? Obviously not. The network closed business, b/c the merger and formation of a large league of 1-A teams from the left overs of the most recent earthquake in conference shifiting, is being held up by existing television contracts. The report that the merger isn't going to happen is BS.

...and none of the above makes your post any closer to correct. Your point?

Reaction Score
...and none of the above makes your post any closer to correct. Your point?

I have no point. A point involves a single projectile. I'm a cluster munition and the BCS is my target, and all the 1-A programs in the country that have gotten on by the BCS are the incendiaries, and they're not just the small ones or the new ones. There are plenty of "big time" programs that have gotten screwed by this system.

So I have no idea what post you're disagreeing with. As far as I"m concerned, there's nothing inaccurate in anything I've written. If something is wrong, point it out, and if you've got a valid argument, I'll correct it.

Reaction Score
Yes. It will have ZERO impact on any future TV deal. Got that? ZERO. NONE. NADA. ZILCH.

You know what will have an impact? More eyeballs. Bigger fanbases. Better quality of football. If you and Carl want to close your eyes and imagine that the Big East is anywhere near the SEC in this regard, all the power to you.

Would you kindly point out the post that said the Big East was comparable to the SEC? It's quite clear from this thread that they have better fans. I suggest you, ZLS and "BigEastConference" retire as fans, and put yourselves out to pasture where you can wax poetic on the glory days of "AQ status" and the prestige it once brought to Big East football. I'll look forward to better days ahead.

Reaction Score
That's right!

The really sad part about Carl is that he thinks the SEC and Big 12 are totally incapable of buying ads twice as big in Times Square. You know why they don't?

Because nobody in NYC gives a about college football. It's a waste of time. And yet, their ratings in NYC blow the Big East's out of the water.

Cute ad though! And you used American Eagle! The sixth-douchiest clothing line there is! They can't even get Abercrombie.

Nobody in New York cares about colelge football huh. Ever heard of the Mara's? The Steinbrenners? the ducking Heisman trophy?

New York City doesn't need a college football team - it's too friggin big. NYC needs a football CONFERENCE.

pj

Reaction Score
If NYC college football is so big, why is NYC high school football so small? Why do NYC high schools produce 4 BCS recruits a year? Not everything in NYC is big.

I think in the end we know how this will turn out. It will be like major league baseball. Money will go to teams in proportion to fan base and media market size, but there will have to be some redistribution from the rich teams to the middle class so that there can be enough competition to maintain fan interest and maximize the pie, just like the Yankees have to pay luxury tax to the Pirates. The elite teams win most years, but middle class teams have an outside shot once in a while.

Reaction Score
The college football markets in Connecticut and New York really are undervalued. I think NY easily rivals the elite states, as a market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom