AP Top 25 poll week 16 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP Top 25 poll week 16

Reaction Score
Shocker. Did you ever listen to her?
Yes, I have listened to her. She is ok and not very insightful. Never paid attention to her loyalties.

If she is NCState to the core, the UConn game from the tournament last year and the game this year and how her team has been doing could not be great for her mental health.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
FWIW Stanford struggled against USC the other day and they have #16 UCLA tonite, @#21 Colorado on Thursday and @#5 UTAH on Saturday. So we will see what how Stanford does.
And that's all before the PAC 12 Tournament, March 1-5 at Michelob ULTRA Arena at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMO UConn doesn't pass recent eye test to be ranked #4. Also UConn lost to 7th Ranked Maryland and 10th Ranked Notre Dame earlier in the season. UConn should probably be ranked around #8 if not a couple of spots lower. I'm not sure this UConn team without Azzi Fudd would beat any of the other Top 10 teams. UConn is holding on to a high ranking due to the name UConn and their strength of schedule.

Reaction Score
TC22 said:
Other than against Florida last week, SC starters have been playing 30 mins. for the past couple of weeks. UConn, LSU and Ole Miss have warranted that. Bench has been cut to 7 with a couple of other players getting a couple of minutes at the end of quarters to give starters a blow.

You're wrong

Did you read my statement? It says they've been playing 30 mins for the last couple of weeks, other than Florida. I should have said Auburn also.

Here's the #s for those 3 games...Those games would be UConn, LSU, Ole Miss.
Boston - 39, 31, 34 Cooke - 39, 34, 43 Beal - 26, 36, 40

Reaction Score
I saw the SC-OleMiss game only from late in the 4th Q to the end of OT. Ole Miss had the ball in a tie game with a full 30 seconds on the clock in the 4th Q. I haven't watched a replay, but as I recall, the player who took the inbounds pass -- remember, with exactly 30 seconds remaining -- kept the ball, dribbling around, for 25 seconds, until she lost it out of bounds. Never passed it to anyone. It was like she had no teammates on the court. Even if she was the best player on their team, was THIS the play that was designed to get them the last score of the game? SC was mighty lucky to win that game.

Reaction Score
IMO UConn doesn't pass recent eye test to be ranked #4. Also UConn lost to 7th Ranked Maryland and 10th Ranked Notre Dame earlier in the season. UConn should probably be ranked around #8 if not a couple of spots lower. I'm not sure this UConn team without Azzi Fudd would beat any of the other Top 10 teams. UConn is holding on to a high ranking due to the name UConn and their strength of schedule.
And already beat, #6 ranked Iowa, as I recall. The updated eye test comes in March. Some teams like Indiana, and Notre Dame, and yes, Iowa, are really playing well now, so its all about match-ups and health, but Uconn is as likely as not to show up in the final 4 as they have for the past decade

Reaction Score
The reporter who chose Indiana as his #1 ranked team is Mitchell Northam from UNC public radio. Here is his explanation:
"Nothing against SC, but the Big Ten is stronger than the SEC this season. So, Indiana has played a tougher conference schedule. Gamecocks needed OT to get by Ole Miss. Hoosiers beat ranked teams in Ohio State and Michigan this past week. I wanted to reward them. Simple as that."
"My other thing is, Indiana has five wins against top 10 teams, more than anyone else in the country. And their only loss was by 5 points — without Grace Berger".
"Incredibly close! I’m not faulting SC. I’m rewarding IU."

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes they lost to Notre Dame and Maryland, but they were severely hampered with very recent injuries and had not had time to adjust for those injuries.

In the ND game Azzi went down with over two minutes left in the first quarter with 0 points and tried to play in the second quarter but couldn't. They were already without Dorka, while Aubrey tried to make up for no Azzi, but had her worst game of the season. In the Maryland game they had no, Azzi, Dorka, and NIKA, with less than 3 days to prepare Ines to take Nika's place was an impossible task to overcome.

On the bit about not beating any other Top 10 teams, if it hadn't been for some very bad officiating in the South Carolina game I believe that UConn would have won that game. This team is ranked in the correct spot as far as I'm concerned. If they do get Azzi back before the NCAAT, they will become one of the major favorites to win it all, and without her I still believe that they make another Final Four.

Reaction Score
lol. ok.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The reporter who chose Indiana as his #1 ranked team is Mitchell Northam from UNC public radio. Here is his explanation:
"Nothing against SC, but the Big Ten is stronger than the SEC this season. So, Indiana has played a tougher conference schedule. Gamecocks needed OT to get by Ole Miss. Hoosiers beat ranked teams in Ohio State and Michigan this past week. I wanted to reward them. Simple as that."
"My other thing is, Indiana has five wins against top 10 teams, more than anyone else in the country. And their only loss was by 5 points — without Grace Berger".

He's a good follow, he knows his stuff. Of course, the chicken fans are giving him the blues. :rolleyes: My only issue with his voting this year is that this is the first week that he has Duke above Chapel Hill in his voting, 14 vs 15.

Reaction Score
I saw the SC-OleMiss game only from late in the 4th Q to the end of OT. Ole Miss had the ball in a tie game with a full 30 seconds on the clock in the 4th Q. I haven't watched a replay, but as I recall, the player who took the inbounds pass -- remember, with exactly 30 seconds remaining -- kept the ball, dribbling around, for 25 seconds, until she lost it out of bounds. Never passed it to anyone. It was like she had no teammates on the court. Even if she was the best player on their team, was THIS the play that was designed to get them the last score of the game? SC was mighty lucky to win that game.
I never understood holding the ball like that. You have 30 seconds...and gift the defense with having to play only 10 seconds of defense. At the very least...pass the ball so start the defense moving. Heck...someone may slip or not switch and you get a layup!

Reaction Score

Currently only 2 of the teams Indiana has beaten are in the top 10(Iowa and Maryland). SC has beaten 4 currently in the top 10. When was the last time a big ten team made it to the final four? I guess we will see how strong they are in a month. I wonder if SC would have beaten Ole Miss by 20+ would he still had vote Indiana #1.

Reaction Score
Every single time she's on a broadcast she puts up this graphic to tell people how to beat SC. I'm sure everybody else appreciates her suggestions but dang, she lives IN SC. You'd think she'd be happy for them.
Every time I listen to her she reminds me of watching Seinfeld- "Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah". This constant nonsensical babble while you are trying to watch the game is a disservice to women's basketball.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes, I have listened to her. She is ok and not very insightful. Never paid attention to her loyalties.

If she is NCState to the core, the UConn game from the tournament last year and the game this year and how her team has been doing could not be great for her mental health.

If its any consolation, She isn't too fond of Duke either.

Reaction Score

She has managed to keep her verbosity at supersonic levels nevertheless.

Reaction Score
Every time I listen to her she reminds me of watching Seinfeld- "Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah". This constant nonsensical babble while you are trying to watch the game is a disservice to women's basketball.
Did she mention the Bisque?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Every single time she's on a broadcast she puts up this graphic to tell people how to beat SC. I'm sure everybody else appreciates her suggestions but dang, she lives IN SC. You'd think she'd be happy for them.

She thinks she has the knowledge on how to beat any team. Antonelli is an ACC homer!! As far as I know, she has nevern coached a college team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So...at the moment Stanford is losing to UCLA
Does that warrant us moving up to a -2- or a -3-?
Give me a break...

WBBFan1 may have been brutal in his analysis
And (I suppose) we have a gamblers chance to keep our final-4 streak alive.

But these elevated ranking and expectations that follow, strain credulity.
Enjoy the wonderful effort this outgunned squad has produced
And keep irrational optimism under control.

Reaction Score
Yes they lost to Notre Dame and Maryland, but they were severely hampered with very recent injuries and had not had time to adjust for those injuries.

In the ND game Azzi went down with over two minutes left in the first quarter with 0 points and tried to play in the second quarter but couldn't. They were already without Dorka, while Aubrey tried to make up for no Azzi, but had her worst game of the season. In the Maryland game they had no, Azzi, Dorka, and NIKA, with less than 3 days to prepare Ines to take Nika's place was an impossible task to overcome.

On the bit about not beating any other Top 10 teams, if it hadn't been for some very bad officiating in the South Carolina game I believe that UConn would have won that game. This team is ranked in the correct spot as far as I'm concerned. If they do get Azzi back before the NCAAT, they will become one of the major favorites to win it all, and without her I still believe that they make another Final Four.
And if we compare South Carolina's games throughout the season... they beat UCONN by only 4 points...their smallest margin of victory all season. Yes, they played into Overtime against Standford early in the season and recently against Mississippi, but their final MOV was more than 4 points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom