Any Castle news? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any Castle news?

Reaction Score
I'll save everyone five pages of scrolling and skip right to what you would have had to wait until post 100 to read.

SpaghettiOs straight out of the can and cold is way better than heated up.

I'm not sure how we would have gone from legitimate question about Castle's potential return on Friday to why SpaghettiOs are better cold, but it was going to happen.
I’m 53 and never had SpaghettiO’s. I was more of a frozen burrito guy, 4 for $1.

Reaction Score
Question, If your meniscus is injured notably how could you “crush” the bike?

Reaction Score
From Hurley’s press conference last night it seemed if everything goes well he’d be back verse North Carolina.

For the people who are stressing this- not sure why- it’s not even December yet- goal is to be at the best in February & March.

UConn will fight hard verse Kansas- should be a great game- really looking forward to it- need get some good mins from Diarra, Ball, & Samson- if two out of three play well UConn should be in good shape.

Reaction Score
Not a doc, but lots of experience with knee surgeries....bike is non load bearing and important to keep range of motion. movement moves synovial fluid and helps the knee
Synovial fluid?? You pass for an expert on the Boneyard.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Question, If your meniscus is injured notably how could you “crush” the bike?
I would think that's a good sign. I had a meniscus problem and can see crushing the bike.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m not sure how you could draw any inference from that statement whatsoever. If he was going to play against Kansas, it was always going to be a really short timeline between when he gets cleared and the game.

Easy. Team won't know until later today of he is cleared to anything beyond shooting.

That means he will have at most one day to go from sitting out 3 weeks to being in game shape.

Even 5-10 minutes at game speed against Kansas is a tall ask.

Reaction Score
Easy. Team won't know until later today of he is cleared to anything beyond shooting.

That means he will have at most one day to go from sitting out 3 weeks to being in game shape.

Even 5-10 minutes at game speed against Kansas is a tall ask.
I mean I agree, it’s just always been a tall ask. My point is more that if he was going to play, that was always going to be the case and they haven’t shot it down yet. There was no scenario where he gets 2 full weeks of practice after a procedure on his knee. So the fact that they’re making the decision on this less than a week out probably shouldn’t be interpreted as a sign one way or the other.

Reaction Score
The article posted earlier in this thread. Certainly sounds like an arthroscopic meniscectomy given the 2-4 week timeframe.
would they remove cartilage in someone so young and with a pro career? Wouldn't they try to pin it?

Reaction Score
would they remove cartilage in someone so young and with a pro career? Wouldn't they try to pin it?
the shave instead of the repair is what Kemba had before his junior year, DWade also had the same done at Marquette. Also probably not a coincidence that knee issues came back to haunt them later down the line. From what I've read a repair is not always an option though, I think we have real doctors that post here so they could provide better insight.

Reaction Score
the shave instead of the repair is what Kemba had before his junior year, DWade also had the same done at Marquette. Also probably not a coincidence that knee issues came back to haunt them later down the line. From what I've read a repair is not always an option though, I think we have real doctors that post here so they could provide better insight.
Kemba is why I question the shave...He lost 5 years of his career because of his knees

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I am not a doctor, but I have had mutiple ACL/meniscus surgeries. The mensicus on its own, is not big deal. Its quick an easy to shave a little off - the problem people have is they have their meniscus "trimmed" multiple times and that is usually the cause for further knee troubles down the line, but once is not a big deal at all. Fully repairing the meniscus is, I believe, 6 weeks no weight bearing so much more complicated procedure

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Kemba is why I question the shave...He lost 5 years of his career because of his knees
I bet Kemba had his knee shaved more than once which can damage the cartilage down the line, like we saw with him

Reaction Score
I am not a doctor, but I have had mutiple ACL/meniscus surgeries. The mensicus on its own, is not big deal. Its quick an easy to shave a little off - the problem people have is they have their meniscus "trimmed" multiple times and that is usually the cause for further knee troubles down the line, but once is not a big deal at all. Fully repairing the meniscus is, I believe, 6 weeks no weight bearing so much more complicated procedure
the recoveries for the full repair are longer, Jaren Jackson Jr and James Wiseman are two that come to mind that had full repairs recently and their recoveries took like 8 months

Reaction Score
Maybe I completely missed it but this is the first time I've seen someone in sports media acknowledge it was a meniscus injury. Given the recovery timeframe we were given and the terms used by the team as a "procedure" I figured that's what it was, but DraftExpress stated it in their writeup that was posted this morning.

The return of UConn's Stephon Castle

2024 NBA draft​

nba_givonys-top-100_16x9_608x342.jpg

Givony's big board: Top 25 prospects
Complete Top 100 rankings for 2024
Latest mock draft: Holland at No. 1
Who to watch on G League Ignite
I'm looking forward to the return of Castle, whom I wasn't able to see when UConn played Indiana and Texas last week at Madison Square Garden. Castle had right knee surgery for a meniscus injury that has kept him out of action since Nov. 11. Castle told ESPN's Myron Medcalf he is targeting the Huskies' game versus Kansas on Dec. 1, but sources told ESPN returning for the North Carolina game Dec. 5 or even the Gonzaga game on Dec. 15 is a possibility depending on his recovery. During his more recent action, Castle put up 17 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals in 25 minutes versus Stonehill. He has been drawing rave reviews from UConn's coaching staff for his defense, passing, versatility and coachability. -- Givony

Arthroscopic surgery, while now commonplace, is simply amazing! I had both knees scoped and I was back to normal in 3 and 6 weeks.

Reaction Score
the recoveries for the full repair are longer, Jaren Jackson Jr and James Wiseman are two that come to mind that had full repairs recently and their recoveries took like 8 months
I didn't realize it was that long...I just saw a Mass General protocol that full sport was 6+ months...hopefully he's fine in another week or 2 and it doesn't happen again.

But what's with the flooring? Castle slips and then the kid from Manhattan is out for the year.

Reaction Score
I'm sure an awful lot has changed since I had a menisectomy, but at the time cutting away the damaged area was the only option. The doctor said much of the meniscus has no blood flow and can't heal no matter how much time you give it. So the course of action could depend on exactly what part of the mensicus was damaged.

Reaction Score
From Hurley’s press conference last night it seemed if everything goes well he’d be back verse North Carolina.

For the people who are stressing this- not sure why- it’s not even December yet- goal is to be at the best in February & March.

UConn will fight hard verse Kansas- should be a great game- really looking forward to it- need get some good mins from Diarra, Ball, & Samson- if two out of three play well UConn should be in good shape.
It’s been forever since we beat KU. Let’s just do that. Preferably without a healing Castle. Extend our ooc to 24(?) games and dismiss the next two preferably UNC. Zags proudest they owe us but may still flinch from the beating we laid on them last spring

Reaction Score
Based on zero inside information whatsoever, my gut feeling is that he doesn't play against Kansas or UNC, maybe gets a few minutes to shake off the rust against Pine Bluff, and then plays 15-18 minutes against Gonzaga before training wheels come off.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I agree with you both, Kansas just seems unlikely all around. There are easier games not too far out that would give him the rest and ramp back up to game shape before the next tough segment of the schedule if he sits out as far as Gonzaga. Even if he's 100% I don't think you should toss him into the fire of the three big games coming up without a tune up game or three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom