Another WVU insider posting UVA and UConn to B1G | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Another WVU insider posting UVA and UConn to B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You'll end up looking like this "FSU" fan.

fsu.jpg

What's worse: the backwards spelling of "FSU", or the hand-crafted uni-brow??? My vote is the uni-brow...

Reaction Score
What's worse: the backwards spelling of "FSU", or the hand-crafted uni-brow??? My vote is the uni-brow...
I think it's time the Seminole nation brings an end to FSU's moniker. :D

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think it's time the Seminole nation brings an end to FSU's moniker. :D

Well, now the girl is a USF fan, so the Bulls have that going for them...

Reaction Score
its too obvious. you should be "the guy of connecticut"

Good suggestion. I'm changing my signature to that. However, I'm still reserving the Dude of Connecituct for possible future use. So, please, no one else use that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Good suggestion. I'm changing my signature to that. However, I'm still reserving the Dude of Connecituct for possible future use. So, please, no one else use that.

Might I suggest a catchier name, such as "The Connecticut Yankee"....unless of course if you are a Red Sox fan and easily offended by the coincidence, and then you can just say another catchy name such as "The Nutmegger"...perhaps I should coin those names and start my own thing!!!

Reaction Score
Might I suggest a catchier name, such as "The Connecticut Yankee"....unless of course if you are a Red Sox fan and easily offended by the coincidence, and then you can just say another catchy name such as "The Nutmegger"...perhaps I should coin those names and start my own thing!!!

That's a good suggestion too. But I all ready went ahead and created my twitter account: "Guy Jones@TheGuyOfUConn". I've got one tweet up so far. If people think I lack credibility, I could use that name as a second name to provide me backup. "The Connecticut Yankee" could pop up in a discussion and tell everyone how The Guy of Connecticut "has never been wrong".

Reaction Score
That's a good suggestion too. But I all ready went ahead and created my twitter account: "Guy Jones@TheGuyOfUConn". I've got one tweet up so far. If people think I lack credibility, I could use that name as a second name to provide me backup. "The Connecticut Yankee" could pop up in a discussion and tell everyone how The Guy of Connecticut "has never been wrong".
There's better hobbies. But if this floats your boat, make sure you connect with that "Dude of WV" and "MHver", whatever their names are.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Dude of WV just writes Penthouse Forum fantasies and passes them off as facts. Somehow he has all these details from someone at WVU but not one professional media outlet has secured a single one of these tidbits.

We get it. The ACC hurt your feelings. Isn't about time to get over it?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Dude of WV just writes Penthouse Forum fantasies and passes them off as facts. Somehow he has all these details from someone at WVU but not one professional media outlet has secured a single one of these tidbits.

We get it. The ACC hurt your feelings. Isn't about time to get over it?

I think it is possible that these people actually have "sources" that have pieces of information. I bet a lot of people on the board know someone, somewhere that knows someone that gets information that is not publicly available. Even I have a couple of connections that give me a goody once in a blue moon, usually just player or coach stuff. We are hardcore fans for these sports. It is not that unusual for folks like us to have some connections. Those connections never have the complete story, but they may know pieces of information.

I also believe that the WVU athletic department is leakier than the Titanic after playing bumper-icebergs. The problem with the Dude is that he takes every piece of information he gets, and makes absurd extrapolations, usually against the ACC. Mhver3 is a little better, but you can see the trend in his tweets as his moonshine kicks in and he remembers the snooty ACCers saying they didn't want hillbillies like him in their league. The tweets go from being reasonable and interesting to diatribe.

10 years ago, the mainstream sports media wouldn't even think of reporting rumors like this. Even today, only a handful of guys, like Jon Wilner, even jump into the fray.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it is possible that these people actually have "sources" that have pieces of information. I bet a lot of people on the board know someone, somewhere that knows someone that gets information that is not publicly available. Even I have a couple of connections that give me a goody once in a blue moon, usually just player or coach stuff. We are hardcore fans for these sports. It is not that unusual for folks like us to have some connections. Those connections never have the complete story, but they may know pieces of information.

I also believe that the WVU athletic department is leakier than the Titanic after playing bumper-icebergs. The problem with the Dude is that he takes every piece of information he gets, and makes absurd extrapolations, usually against the ACC. Mhver3 is a little better, but you can see the trend in his tweets as his moonshine kicks in and he remembers the snooty ACCers saying they didn't want hillbillies like him in their league. The tweets go from being reasonable and interesting to diatribe.

10 years ago, the mainstream sports media wouldn't even think of reporting rumors like this. Even today, only a handful of guys, like Jon Wilner, even jump into the fray.

I don't doubt that there are thousands of posters who have contacts who know things. I also know someone who tells me lots of things that I don't doubt. Like 99.9% of people I don't go blasting it around on message boards.

The things that the DoWV is proposing in his latest diatribe wouldn't have one writer at any school able to find two sources to confirm? If any of it is true there would be multiple schools who'd want that information public to placate their fanbases.

The Dude and mhver are both completely full of and get off on having people discuss them all over the internet. The fact that every once in a while something they throw against the wall sticks doesn't mean they knew anything. If you have a clown like the Dude running with your every word and it generates rumors - it's not like there is any repercussions for feeding him misinformation. Shocking that everything that would leak out of WV would be anti-ACC.

Reaction Score
I played baseball at an ACC school (not well) when Swofford was the UNC qb. I know some folks (not the AD). This gets me some opinions but no inside information and I have never claimed to have any. If I had any I wouldn't release it anyway. I am not a member of the media and believe that some secrets are best kept. My son is a UTenn grad and worked radio in Knoxville and still knows everybody. He gets some inside info. on UT and the SEC but never posts anything. Silence is almost always the best indicator of something, at least until right before IT happens.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Dude has gone completely off his rocker this afternoon on Twitter. The guy is a clown, how can anyone take anything he says seriously.

Reaction Score
Why is the big ten a better fit?

Because you're a state school. Your addition in basketball means far more to them. They are not concerned about your lack of football "history"/pedigree because they are making moves with an eye on television markets. At this time, at least for the Big 10, TV markets trump the other variables. Just look at who they just chose in Maryland and Rutgers. I don't see the ACC ever making that kind of move.

Reaction Score
I love how the "long view perspective" only works with football (knowing full well that we haven't even been at the BCS level for 15 years). Yet Louisville basketball looks "every bit as good" as UConn in the image department. Nevermind UConn's success has been outrageously more prolific than Louisville's (or any other Big East program's) for the past 25 years.

I suppose this is what you meant by a good image?

Who do you think has better future prospects, Louisville with Pitino or UConn with Kevin Ollie?

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino, (b. September 18, 1952, aged 60)
Kevin Ollie (b. December 27, 1972, aged 39)

Who do you think has better future prospects, Louisville with Pitino or UConn with Kevin Ollie?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Dude has gone completely off his rocker this afternoon on Twitter. The guy is a clown, how can anyone take anything he says seriously.

This is what I said about moonshine. mhver3 had a multi-tweet diatribe outlining the demise of the ACC a few hours ago, after several coherent tweets and posts over the last few days. He seems to do better Tuesday through Thursday.

The Dude is an idiot. I retract my earlier belief that he has sources. He doesn't know s***.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Rick Pitino, (b. September 18, 1952, aged 60)
Kevin Ollie (b. December 27, 1972, aged 39)
You forgot to add mike Hopkins, age 42. No career wins. Sounds like UCONN and Cuse are in the same spot shortly If we've devolved to a point where age of the coach determines a programs future prospects. Only real difference is that KO has a win over a top 20 team w a hall of fame coach and Hopkins has never coached a game.

Reaction Score

In truth Ollie. I really don't see Pitino winning a championship with Louisville before he retires. On the other hand Ollie is very young, helped coach Kemba to a championship in his first year as an assisstant, was largely responsible for the recruitment of the Number 1 or 2 recruit in the country going into his second season (as well as Boatright and Daniels), and really is taking over a program that has been wildly sucessful within the lifespan of kids going to college in the near future.

However all that is outside of the scope of the fact that you have now twice, reiterated how tradition/history etc. is the most important aspect of a sports program, but only when its football because we are by the very nature of when we upgraded precluded from competing in that regard. If you on the other hand are assuming that I without a doubt must have conceded that Louisville has a stronger pedigree than UConn in bball, your not a very rational person.

Reaction Score
UConn. Pitino is getting old himself. Also UConn over Syracuse and Mike Hopkins as well.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

I helped you out. I am your first follower. Let the information flow!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard anything from The Guy of UConn yet? I'm not on Twitter yet, so I haven't heard anything, but I heard he's going to update us with something big in 20 minutes...

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
You forgot to add mike Hopkins, age 42. No career wins. Sounds like UCONN and Cuse are in the same spot shortly If we've devolved to a point where age of the coach determines a programs future prospects. Only real difference is that KO has a win over a top 20 team w a hall of fame coach and Hopkins has never coached a game.

Well, at least one big difference between us is that Boeheim will be around for a few more years. A second difference is that our recruiting has been going gangbusters, so whenever Boeheim leaves, Hopkins will have a loaded roster. And finally, we are in a basketball league with the two best programs of the last generation. You are in the Big East.

Reaction Score
In truth Ollie. I really don't see Pitino winning a championship with Louisville before he retires. On the other hand Ollie is very young, helped coach Kemba to a championship in his first year as an assisstant, was largely responsible for the recruitment of the Number 1 or 2 recruit in the country going into his second season (as well as Boatright and Daniels), and really is taking over a program that has been wildly sucessful within the lifespan of kids going to college in the near future.

However all that is outside of the scope of the fact that you have now twice, reiterated how tradition/history etc. is the most important aspect of a sports program, but only when its football because we are by the very nature of when we upgraded precluded from competing in that regard. If you on the other hand are assuming that I without a doubt must have conceded that Louisville has a stronger pedigree than UConn in bball, your not a very rational person.

Bwahahahaha, Pitino made a Final Four last year. You guys have a crap roster. You're going to have a crap year. And then Manuel will hire his own guy. So, yeah, good luck with the whole Kevin Ollie experiment this year.

Reaction Score

In case you haven't noticed, it's much easier for someone to put together a good basketball team than a good football team. You only need a handful of good players for hoops, but you need about 50 of them to build a good football team, even more. How many teams like Butler, or VCU, or K State rise up for a few years, and then slink back down when their hot coach gets hired somewhere else? In football, the ups and downs take longer, because you have to build up a whole roster of players, not just a few good ones.

So far, Louisville has had 2 elite coaches and you've had one. If you get a second one, then you're set. If not, well, you might soon be an Atlantic 10 team if someone doesn't come along and rescue you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom