Another Deepster Yard Goats Update | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Another Deepster Yard Goats Update

Reaction Score
Of course the cities are going to be the least safe. It's literally all the cities in the top except Stamford cause poor people can't afford to live there.

Stamford is an odd town. Up until recently, there was a lot money along the shore, then an absolute dump, then the business downtown area, then a mix, and then estates north of the Merritt Parkway. The last 10 or so years has seen that middle section between downtown and the shore almost completely changed with condos, offices, and boutique shops taking over driven by folks who had been priced out of NYC and developers taking advantage of one of the last clusters of 'cheap' land left in lower Fairfield County with good mass transit access.

Reaction Score
In CT, I can see that though Waterbury, New Haven and Bridgeport cannot be far behind. Outside of CT, I'll take Hartford at 2 AM in the north end any day of the week over places like Lawrence MA, Trenton/Paterson/Camden NJ, North Philly, most of Baltimore, a good chunk of Detroit, the south side of Chicago, nearly all of New Orleans, etc.
Deepster won't go to any cities at 2 in the afternoon, you think he would go to those places at 2 in the morning?

Reaction Score
In CT, I can see that though Waterbury, New Haven and Bridgeport cannot be far behind. Outside of CT, I'll take Hartford at 2 AM in the north end any day of the week over places like Lawrence MA, Trenton/Paterson/Camden NJ, North Philly, most of Baltimore, a good chunk of Detroit, the south side of Chicago, nearly all of New Orleans, etc.
I drove through part of Camden once about 6 years ago for work. There were several buildings that were almost completely collapsed near the river where the brick facades were actually being held up by long 2x4s leaning against them. There were people walking on the sidewalk avoiding the bases of the 2x4s and it looked like if you kicked one out the entire facade of the building would collapse on the sidewalk and street. The entire area looked like it had been bombed out. I don't know if it has changed since then, I hope it has, but I remember thinking it was the worse place I had ever seen in person in this country.

Reaction Score
I drove through part of Camden once about 6 years ago for work. There were several buildings that were almost completely collapsed near the river where the brick facades were actually being held up by long 2x4s leaning against them. There were people walking on the sidewalk avoiding the bases of the 2x4s and it looked like if you kicked one out the entire facade of the building would collapse on the sidewalk and street. The entire area looked like it had been bombed out. I don't know if it has changed since then, I hope it has, but I remember thinking it was the worse place I had ever seen in person in this country.

There has been some recent improvement as some work has gone into the city in part due to the escalating prices in Philly across the river. From what I have been told, downtown between the waterfront (music pavilion, battleship & aquarium) and Rutgers-Newark and Cooper (Rowan U) hospital is OK during daylight hours and the local and metro cops keep a tight lid on the Patco line running through Camden for folks commuting between the Jersey suburbs and Philly; but, the rest is a mess. The big concern is as a result of major shifts in consumer behavior lately, Campbell's Soup, which is based adjacent to downtown Camden could be vulnerable to a take-over. If that headquarters goes should Campbell's be sold, downtown Camden is history.

Reaction Score
That's your takeway from my post? Where have I ever defended Hartford as safe? It has it's issues like all cities do.

For the record, it's listed 91 out of 91.

Reaction Score
Looks like that a couple streets in Waterbury I saw last summer. The old manufacturing buildings are burnt and falling apart and they are right up against the back of some of the houses going up the hill. There must be squatters and hazardous conditions all over the place.

Reaction Score
There has been some recent improvement as some work has gone into the city in part due to the escalating prices in Philly across the river. From what I have been told, downtown between the waterfront (music pavilion, battleship & aquarium) and Rutgers-Newark and Cooper (Rowan U) hospital is OK during daylight hours and the local and metro cops keep a tight lid on the Patco line running through Camden for folks commuting between the Jersey suburbs and Philly; but, the rest is a mess. The big concern is as a result of major shifts in consumer behavior lately, Campbell's Soup, which is based adjacent to downtown Camden could be vulnerable to a take-over. If that headquarters goes should Campbell's be sold, downtown Camden is history.
Murder rate was cut in half a year ago, no clue if it's back up again. Camden has been dead my whole lifetime like most manufacturing cities on east coast and midwest.

Reaction Score
Camden is also a community where their major city is in another state so they probably get screwed by both New Jersey and Pennsylvania. See Gary, IN or E. St. Louis, IL.

Reaction Score
It is really an awful shame that there should be places like this in this country. I don't know what the answer is and I don't think anyone else does either but I hope we figure it out someday.

Reaction Score
Looks like that a couple streets in Waterbury I saw last summer. The old manufacturing buildings are burnt and falling apart and they are right up against the back of some of the houses going up the hill. There must be squatters and hazardous conditions all over the place.

Spent two summers taking night classes at the old UConn Waterbury campus to make-up for my less than stellar academic record my freshman year in Storrs. Driving down the hill to I-84 at 9 PM was an education in an of itself and than was 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
Spent two summers taking night classes at the old UConn Waterbury campus to make-up for my less than stellar academic record my freshman year in Storrs. Driving down the hill to I-84 at 9 PM was an education in an of itself and than was 20 years ago.

where was the old Waterbury campus?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I remember thinking it was the worse place I had ever seen in person in this country.

Funny, but the last time I said that about someplace it was anything but a big, run down city. It was a little town in the middle of nowhere in Arizona -- Dolan Springs. It' is surrounded by desert, and apparently exists only to supply hookers and crack to the non-native American employees of the tourist attractions at the Hulapi(sp?) reservation on the Grand Canyon. I had never seen any place so depressing in my life. Prior to that, I thought Muskogee, OK was the pits. When I had to stay there, I came away with two things... There did not appear to be a professional sign painter in town. The signs on local businesses appeared to mostly be crudely painted on sheets of plywood. And the Walmart in town had closed up. Couldn't imagine a place so poor that it couldn't support a Walmart. Now the one in Derby, CT has closed, so what's that say?

Unrelated -- the Courant should entitle that article the 20 safest TOWNS in CT, because not one of the top 20 is actually a City. The vast majority of them are primarily bedroom communities.

Reaction Score
where was the old Waterbury campus?

On Hillside Ave just north off downtown off of Pine St. I think a Jewish school owns the campus now. We had an unwritten rule that after class no one was allowed to go to the parking lot across the street from the campus on Buckingham. One time during class, we had to duck behind our desks because Waterbury SWAT raided a drug dealer's home directly opposite the campus on Hillside. While not the best area, it was by far not the worst neighborhood in Waterbury, the areas around Washington Street come to mind.

Reaction Score
superman.jpg

Reaction Score
Did you buy Yard Goats merchandise yet?

So, why don't you list what they have bought and I'll list what I've bought. You have my word I'll be honest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom