Another Deepster Yard Goats Update | The Boneyard

Another Deepster Yard Goats Update

Reaction Score
Fired Developer Suing Yard Goats Owner

"Centerplan has also filed suit seeking an injunction preventing the city from having another contractor complete the ballpark.

Meanwhile, according to city officials, Solomon has written a letter telling them that the development agreement between the city and the team requires the city to complete the 6,000-seat ballpark in time for play next year, or Solomon can seek a new home for the team."

Am I reading this right? They can't work on the stadium right now, but if it's not finished and ready for next year, the team owner can find a new home for the team? Ooof. Can you imagine that stadium being unfinished and without a tenant 8-9 months from now?

Reaction Score

"Centerplan has also filed suit seeking an injunction preventing the city from having another contractor complete the ballpark.

Meanwhile, according to city officials, Solomon has written a letter telling them that the development agreement between the city and the team requires the city to complete the 6,000-seat ballpark in time for play next year, or Solomon can seek a new home for the team."

Am I reading this right? They can't work on the stadium right now, but if it's not finished and ready for next year, the team owner can find a new home for the team? Ooof. Can you imagine that stadium being unfinished and without a tenant 8-9 months from now?
So if the injunction is granted, Hartford's choice is to re-hire the same incompetent contractor OR risk losing the tenant and having the entire project become a still-born white elephant?!
They better have some good lawyers working to prevent that.

Reaction Score
So if the injunction is granted, Hartford's choice is to re-hire the same incompetent contractor OR risk losing the tenant and having the entire project become a still-born white elephant?!
They better have some good lawyers working to prevent that.
I wouldn't jump too quickly to label Centerplan as that incompetent contractor. We have all seen enough of Hartford to know that there is a fair amount of incompetence imbedded in that government. Soccer stadium anyone. Missing insurance premiums anyone?
First, I don't understand why this didn't first go to arbitration rather than to a lock out of the contractor. If there is no such clause in the contract, I'd be surprised. If, in fact, Solomon met with the city without Centerplan in meetings to initiate change orders that by itself is a recipe for over runs. Anyone that has been involved in construction knows that it is the change orders that are deadly. I've said all along, I would not be surprised that the city had agreed to an extra contribution to the project [I don't remember but I think $8 million] and with the dire state of the budget, this is an attempt to avoid that payment.
Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't jump too quickly to label Centerplan as that incompetent contractor. We have all seen enough of Hartford to know that there is a fair amount of incompetence imbedded in that government. Soccer stadium anyone. Missing insurance premiums anyone?
First, I don't understand why this didn't first go to arbitration rather than to a lock out of the contractor. If there is no such clause in the contract, I'd be surprised. If, in fact, Solomon met with the city without Centerplan in meetings to initiate change orders that by itself is a recipe for over runs. Anyone that has been involved in construction knows that it is the change orders that are deadly. I've said all along, I would not be surprised that the city had agreed to an extra contribution to the project [I don't remember but I think $8 million] and with the dire state of the budget, this is an attempt to avoid that payment.
Time will tell.
I don't know for certain of course, I read a handful of articles about it a month ago. The story is incredible. I took from the news definitely more negative opinions of the contractor than the city. Contractor was saying we are 95%+ there when pictures and observations were clearly different & the details of what workers on the ground knew and were doing clearly showed lack of organization and control. At a minimum Centerplan is 50% the problem and I think much, much more. Part of a GC's job is to manage the client too, so pointing finger back at client is also a bad sign to me.

Reaction Score
Any word on the latest shooting or robbery in DoNo?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Can we take the 6ooo seats and move them under the scoreboard at the Rent?

Considering reports had them pouring concrete onto seats, that could prove difficult.

I get the feeling these guys are really good at developmental stuff like Downtown Storrs, but they were doing this stadium based off reading Wikipedia and how to YouTube videos, without any idea how to do it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My fear is that Hartford is going to crap the bed on this deal, be left without a team and look for UConn to bail them out by playing there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe they can turn the empty shell into a Hunger games style battleground for the Hartford street gangs

This is right up Deepster's alley. In fact, with the resulting decrease in street warfare (due to less manpower per gang and decreased incentive to fight) and the resulting increase revenue (tickets, sponsorships and TV deals), he might start getting positive about Hartford again.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure that the city can actually chose the contractor .Since the bond was pulled and the bond company had to pay out it may be the choice of the bond company. Centerplan definitely won't be back on the job because there is no way that they could get another bond among other reasons.
A even bigger disaster would have been if Centerplan tried to build the hotel: a much more complicated construction project than a ballpark. These people are incompetent sleezballs who have no track record of success on commercial projects.

Reaction Score
Considering reports had them pouring concrete onto seats, that could prove difficult.

I get the feeling these guys are really good at developmental stuff like Downtown Storrs, but they were doing this stadium based off reading Wikipedia and how to YouTube videos, without any idea how to do it.

This is nonsense. None of this would have happened if the city had let the developer actually do the design like they agreed to. The city colluded with Solomon to try and extract more money out of this, and they're going to get nailed on it. The work was nearly done, and the field was going to be playable within a couple of weeks. Bronin took a sub-par situation and turned it into a complete disaster.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is nonsense. None of this would have happened if the city had let the developer actually do the design like they agreed to. The city colluded with Solomon to try and extract more money out of this, and they're going to get nailed on it. The work was nearly done, and the field was going to be playable within a couple of weeks. Bronin took a sub-par situation and turned it into a complete disaster.
Did you take this directly from the Centerplan press release?

Reaction Score
It looks nice.

x.jpg

Reaction Score
Did you take this directly from the Centerplan press release?

No, I just didn't take the city's side as gospel. I also know that CP told the city that their changes were going to cause delays and cost overruns and that fell on deaf ears, and also that the city inspector made them re-do work he'd already approved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom