. . . And the CT HS coaches begin 'Keep PP' full-court press | Page 2 | The Boneyard

. . . And the CT HS coaches begin 'Keep PP' full-court press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What guys Zoo...the CT Hall of Fame Coaches? Small potatoes compared to who?

Compared to anyone who ought to actually matter.

CT high school hall fame? That's like being in the Lebanese HS hof. I am completely impressed, what can I say?

Reaction Score
My dentist is a ND alum, New Canaan resident and a VERY good friend of Terry Hanratty. His son and Hanratty's son are the same age and also VERY good friends. The summer before Conor Hanratty was a sr at New Canaan hs I asked my dentist during our college football conversation that occurs every time I visit his office if UConn had a shot...his answer "the ONLY place Conor Hanratty will play college football is at ND...I have known his dad a LONG time...and known Conor since he was a little boy...this has been in the plans for a LONG time". My dentist and Terry Hanratty took their boys to ND games on a regular basis as well.
I never thought about things this way...but the fact that Fillipone and now Marinelli are speaking out may be a good thing. Hopefully at least GDL is shown the door!
Then what the HS coach is saying is horseshit.

Reaction Score
Then what the HS coach is saying is horse****.

Why is that horseshit? Edsall recruited so many guys that were so under the radar that I think it was weird to some of these CTHS coaches that their kids weren't even getting looked at when they had a number of offers from other schools.

Reaction Score
Compared to anyone who ought to actually matter.

CT high school hall fame? That's like being in the Lebanese HS hof. I am completely impressed, what can I say?

Geez - I forgot they aren't allowed to have a dissenting opinion/point of view than the BY.

What folks also fail to realize Zoo is that BOT Chair Larry McHugh is also a football guy and part of the same coaching fraternity.

Reaction Score
Geez - I forgot they aren't allowed to have a dissenting opinion/point of view than the BY.

What folks also fail to realize Zoo is that BOT Chair Larry McHugh is also a football guy and part of the same coaching fraternity.

Who gives a ?

These guys don't have our program's best interest in mind. They have their programs in mind. They are a bunch of small time knuckleheads.

Reaction Score
Who gives a ****?

These guys don't have our program's best interest in mind. They have their programs in mind. They are a bunch of small time knuckleheads.

You don't see the connection, you don't care about the connection, or you're just being an obstinate _____________? Which is it?

pj

Reaction Score
These quotes are telling us who Paul Pasqualoni's and George DeLeone's friends are. They are repeating the same phrases that the coaches have given to the media. They are trying to create a narrative.

It's a positive that the UConn coaches have friends among CT HS coaches. But we can't read much more than that into what they're saying.

Reaction Score
TDH Kory Sheets actually verballed to UConn then reopened his recruiting.
Correct FDNY. Also, his reopening his recruiting had as much to do with UConn being loaded at RB, with alot of younger talent, and Purdue had less depth and more immediate needs. Ahh, the good old days, when we were stacked at RB.

Reaction Score
Correct FDNY. Also, his reopening his recruiting had as much to do with UConn being loaded at RB, with alot of younger talent, and Purdue had less depth and more immediate needs. Ahh, the good old days, when we were stacked at RB.

So with this line of reasoning UConn should be having every QB & WR worth his salt signing with UConn - since they're not loaded at any position and therefore have immediate needs.

Reaction Score
So with this line of reasoning UConn should be having every QB & WR worth his salt signing with UConn - since they're not loaded at any position and therefore have immediate needs.
Is that what you got out of my post?

Reaction Score
These guys are buffoons. They should keep their pie holes shut and worry about their own teams.

They were idiots the first time they wrote the letter of support when the search was on-going the first time and they continually demonstrate their over exaggerated sense of importance to UCONN's football program. As I said the first time around I could care less if these coaches like the head man. I'd rather get a letter of endorsement from the high school coaches in Florida, Texas or California where there are many more high quality players and athletes.

Reaction Score
Is that what you got out of my post?

No, I got your point. Nevertheless, Kory Sheets wasn't running away from "depth of running backs" or too much competition, he was pulling an Aaron Hernandez and reneging on UConn and headed toward what he thought was a better program (even though it definitely wasn't).

Reaction Score

I think people are waking up to this, medic. As mentioned in another thread, if McHugh is the ultimate decider of who the football coach is at UConn - with veto power over any moves Herbst/Manuel or anyone else might want to make - he should be upfront, take responsibility and say publicly "I want PP to get a third year" instead of people having to guess if he's one of the anonymous "highly placed sources" who has been cited in the past week declaring PP is definitely getting a third year. It's not fair for Herbst/Manuel to have to take responsibility for a decision that isn't really theirs. It's clear McHugh lobbied hard for PP with JH despite Bob Burton's objections.

Larry McHugh has done a lot of good for UConn. But in this case, the old-boys-network connection is clouding a sound decision process of who should put the program back on the upward path where it was in January 2011. I think Mr. McHugh would be doing himself and everyone else a favor if he recused himself from the evaluation process at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
I think people are waking up to this, medic. As mentioned in another thread, if McHugh is the ultimate decider of who the football coach is at UConn - with veto power over any moves Herbst/Manuel or anyone else might want to make - he should be upfront, take responsibility and say publicly "I want PP to get a third year" instead of people having to guess if he's one of the anonymous "highly placed sources" who has been cited in the past week declaring PP is definitely getting a third year. It's not fair for Herbst/Manuel to have to take responsibility for a decision that isn't really theirs. It's clear McHugh lobbied hard for PP with JH despite Bob Burton's objections.

Larry McHugh has done a lot of good for UConn. But in this case, the old-boys-network connection is clouding a sound decision process of who should put the program back on the upward path where it was in January 2011. I think Mr. McHugh would be doing himself and everyone else a favor if he recused himself from the evaluation process at the end of the season.

I don't see that happening (reclusion or public announcement). I don't know if LM is the "ultimate decider" but it's clearly a piece of the puzzle and he has keen football insight from 20 year HS coaching career and incredible contacts. Academia mimics corporate/real life. It's still alot of who you know as opposed to what you know in some circumstances. The coaching fraternity is a close knit group with high loyalty within the different families (think mob families). The Parcel family begets the Belichick family for example. In the end it all comes down to Susan, Warde and the BOT ~ we'll have to wait and see who pulls whose chain.

Reaction Score
No, I got your point. Nevertheless, Kory Sheets wasn't running away from "depth of running backs" or too much competition, he was pulling an Aaron Hernandez and reneging on UConn and headed toward what he thought was a better program (even though it definitely wasn't).

Sheets reneged on UConn when Lou Allen turned Purdue down and committed to UConn. Could have been a coincidence but that would be one helluva coincidence.

Reaction Score
Again, this sounds like what happened to PP at Syracuse. The local coaches LOVED Coach P. They made lots of noise when Cuse canned him, and I saw lots of praise from Syracuse-area HS coaches for UCONN when he was hired. The thing was, none of those coaches produced any D-1 talent, for Syracuse or anyone else.

They just liked him personally and let it be known.

Reaction Score
I think the 'mob' analogy is a great one (although a bit unfortunate given the ethnicity of many of the key players). Our little provincial aging old-school thinking mob is about to get wiped out unless there is a real quick infusion of forward thinking new blood who has experience in other parts of the college football world. A Michael Corleone type . . .

10705886.jpg

Reaction Score
Again, this sounds like what happened to PP at Syracuse. The local coaches LOVED Coach P. They made lots of noise when Cuse canned him, and I saw lots of praise from Syracuse-area HS coaches for UCONN when he was hired. The thing was, none of those coaches produced any D-1 talent, for Syracuse or anyone else.

They just liked him personally and let it be known.
They want to fill a void in their lives by being able to say they are buddies with an FBS coach. Ego freaks. that. Bring down the whole program for their egos? Are they that stupid?

Reaction Score
Sheets reneged on UConn when Lou Allen turned Purdue down and committed to UConn. Could have been a coincidence but that would be one helluva coincidence.

Sheets was by far the better back. Maybe some level of coincidence I would agree, but he was headed to what he thought was a better offer (and again, it definitely wasn't). Sheets could run and make people miss. He could also catch the ball and therefore was more of an everydown back.. Allen was a north/south back who needed a big hole to get through, and was a situational back. Different types of RB's, both having value.

Reaction Score
These guys are looking out for themselves. They want access to a D-1 program and a place to put their kids if they so choose to. Whether UConn wins or loses doesn't matter to them (and in the long run success hurts them on a relative basis).

Not saying they want us to lose but access is important.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is just dumb and if this impacts whether or not PP stays than I will have lost a lot of faith in this program because they are no longer doing what is best for the program and the athletes.

Look, we're not Florida or Texas in terms of HS talent. Hell, we're not even NJ or PA or even smaller states with FBS talent. There are maybe 3-5 kids each year that are higher echelon talent and last I checked, we haven't gotten any of those kids to come to UConn. So until some of these coaches start pushing UConn hard on their best talented players, I don't want to hear it. I know the coach isn't the only reason kids decide to go somewhere but they play a big role. How many times do we hear how close a star player is with his coach? I'm thinking back to Dez's article about recruiting last week and how Lagow said he eats lunch with his coach every Friday and I'm sure that coach has a lot of influence. So coaches play a big role and until they start trying to get their top-flight talent to come to UConn, they need to stay quiet and let UConn do what's best for the program and move on from this disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom