. . . And the CT HS coaches begin 'Keep PP' full-court press | The Boneyard

. . . And the CT HS coaches begin 'Keep PP' full-court press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Led by New Canaan's Lou Marinelli. Already seen similar stuff from Hand's Filippone. Old-paisan network much?????

Would love to get REs side of this story. I'm sure Lou and his cronies all warmly embraced Edsall in the early 2000s.

I'll pay attention to what these guys have to say when the CT HS FB coaches association puts together the $1 milion-plus to cover the lost season ticket revenue next season.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...li/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Reaction Score
Take this FWIW, but I know a local college coach, (has coached at UNH, CCSU, SCSU, family situation keeps him in CT) who told me years ago that CT HS coaches resented the fact that Edsall would "reach" for kids out of MD, Fla., or Texas, but would not do the same for local kids.

My stance on that was that I believed Edsall thought every kid he offered would pan out, and that it was unfair for CT coaches to put that sort of expectation on Randy but that is what I was told.

Reaction Score
Statistically the numbers are in Edsall's favor. I always had the impression that Edsall tried to get CT kids early in his tenure and was pissed they were steered elsewhere by the HS coaches who, like Marinelli, are now killing him for not recruiting their kids in Randy's final years. Randy should have let bygones be bygones, but probably a lot of blame on both sides.

Reaction Score
This coaching staff should aspire to evaluate and develop talent the way Edsall and his staff did. Getting in state talent is important. Getting the best talent we can, no matter where it is, is most important.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let them start the campaign. They are small minded. They have no significant input into Uconn athletics and no right to expect any either.

If Uconn is to move forward in football, they must do what is best for the program and not what the hs coaches think is best. It is what both basketball programs did over the years, recruit talent on a national level, not just the state level. And both Calhoun and Auriemma recruited some local talent at first but went national as soon as possible. We know those results!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For years I've heard from many levels that a good number of CT HS coaches felt that any player they had who was a reach to play at the highest level automatically should have been offered by Edsall and that anyone they had who was a lock for the highest level deserved a better program than UConn. I doubt that this was true in every case but I know of a few where it absolutely was true.

As far a RE offering scholarships to reaches from Pa, MD, Fl, etc. but not doing the same for players perceived (by their HS coaches) to be equals from Ct, I'm sure that someone had a kid in the same class as Darius Butler, Danny Lansannah or Will Beatty who the Ct coach felt was worthy of what the unknown from Pa or Fl received. There is no way that the HS coach knew enough about the kid who did receive the scholarship to make these judgments.

Reaction Score
Silas Redd, Jordan Reed, Matt Shaughnessey and Aaron Hernandez say hello. This guy is bitching about Terry Hanratty's son, correct? Neither Terry Hanratty's son nor Mike Golic's sone was going to pick UConn over their dad's alma mater. Chrisssakes!!

Reaction Score
He said there's more than one way to skin a cat, so I don't think he's saying that one way is necessarily better than the other. But it was a bit weird that Edsall seemed to basically make no effort to recruit either Hanratty or Tommy Jordan, and Jordan basically said that he would've committed if UConn had offered him.

Maybe Edsall didn't think that Jordan could play, but is he a better talent evaluator than Urban Meyer?

Reaction Score
Here's the thing -- the coaches aren't concerned about whether the amount of money that I'm paying for tickets and donations is or is not worth it -- they're worried about how the UConn football program interfaces with their high school program. So, why do I give a flying duck* what they think?

I don't and neither should Warde and his superiors.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The only reason there's a campaign to "Keep PP" is because there's a feeling that he won't be retained. That's a good thing.

Reaction Score
For years I've heard from many levels that a good number of CT HS coaches felt that any player they had who was a reach to play at the highest level automatically should have been offered by Edsall and that anyone they had who was a lock for the highest level deserved a better program than UConn. I doubt that this was true in every case but I know of a few where it absolutely was true.

As far a RE offering scholarships to reaches from Pa, MD, Fl, etc. but not doing the same for players perceived (by their HS coaches) to be equals from Ct, I'm sure that someone had a kid in the same class as Darius Butler, Danny Lansannah or Will Beatty who the Ct coach felt was worthy of what the unknown from Pa or Fl received. There is no way that the HS coach knew enough about the kid who did receive the scholarship to make these judgments.
I agree with you, but that was something I heard from a coach who was very very friendly with Terry Richardson. I heard this around the time Matt Gomes, a WR out of Naugatuck was a senior. He ended up going to CCSU.

Reaction Score
He said there's more than one way to skin a cat, so I don't think he's saying that one way is necessarily better than the other. But it was a bit weird that Edsall seemed to basically make no effort to recruit either Hanratty or Tommy Jordan, and Jordan basically said that he would've committed if UConn had offered him.

Maybe Edsall didn't think that Jordan could play, but is he a better talent evaluator than Urban Meyer?
Who is Tommy Jordan? I'm drawing a blank.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with you, but that was something I heard from a coach who was very very friendly with Terry Richardson. I heard this around the time Matt Gomes, a WR out of Naugatuck was a senior. He ended up going to CCSU.
Shouldn't our head coaches know better than to pass on a Waterbury area product named Gomes?

Reaction Score
Shouldn't our head coaches know better than to pass on a Waterbury area product named Gomes?
LOL. He was a nice player and I think he had a decent career at CCSU. Its not like we've had all american types at WR, but I can't all worked up we didn't offer him either.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing -- the coaches aren't concerned about whether the amount of money that I'm paying for tickets and donations is or is not worth it -- they're worried about how the UConn football program interfaces with their high school program. So, why do I give a flying duck* what they think?

I don't and neither should Warde and his superiors.
Fuckin A Right Biz..

Reaction Score
The only reason there's a campaign to "Keep PP" is because there's a feeling that he won't be retained. That's a good thing.
Matt....this is the greatest picture ever..

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a story recently that Tommy Jordan was homesick and wanted to transfer from Florida?

Reaction Score
If the hs coaches support PP and GDL so much why aren't they sending their 4-5* players to UCONN? Only then should we be paying attention to what they are saying.

Word. When the Aaron Hernandez, Silas Redd, Jordan Reed, Kory Sheets and other top in state talents start ending up with UConn may what these coaches thin will take on more importance. Until they send UConn their best and not viewing it as the next level down for those kids not getting Top 25 offers, who cares. PP was a terrible hire. Just accept it and rally around the next coach.

Reaction Score
Local coaches probably love PP. If he stays at UConn, UConn will probably have scholarships available for any high schooler in CT willing to suit up.

Reaction Score
Word. When the Aaron Hernandez, Silas Redd, Jordan Reed, Kory Sheets and other top in state talents start ending up with UConn may what these coaches thin will take on more importance. Until they send UConn their best and not viewing it as the next level down for those kids not getting Top 25 offers, who cares. PP was a terrible hire. Just accept it and rally around the next coach.
TDH Kory Sheets actually verballed to UConn then reopened his recruiting.

Reaction Score
Silas Redd, Jordan Reed, Matt Shaughnessey and Aaron Hernandez say hello. This guy is bitching about Terry Hanratty's son, correct? Neither Terry Hanratty's son nor Mike Golic's sone was going to pick UConn over their dad's alma mater. Chrisssakes!!
My dentist is a ND alum, New Canaan resident and a VERY good friend of Terry Hanratty. His son and Hanratty's son are the same age and also VERY good friends. The summer before Conor Hanratty was a sr at New Canaan hs I asked my dentist during our college football conversation that occurs every time I visit his office if UConn had a shot...his answer "the ONLY place Conor Hanratty will play college football is at ND...I have known his dad a LONG time...and known Conor since he was a little boy...this has been in the plans for a LONG time". My dentist and Terry Hanratty took their boys to ND games on a regular basis as well.
I never thought about things this way...but the fact that Fillipone and now Marinelli are speaking out may be a good thing. Hopefully at least GDL is shown the door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom