Alterique update | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Alterique update

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
All of you are so quick to toss Mamadou to the side. Does anybody remember that he was a top 100 player in high school? He has yet to play a full healthy season, I'd like to see how he is next year when 100% and getting a full summer with Hurley.

C

Chief00

Chief keeping it real - our medical staff has not been the best on shoulders. So why would anyone know anything with confidence?

Reaction Score
All of you are so quick to toss Mamadou to the side. Does anybody remember that he was a top 100 player in high school? He has yet to play a full healthy season, I'd like to see how he is next year when 100% and getting a full summer with Hurley.
He wasn't a top 100 player and his knee is a mess. Unfortunately the chances of him ever being 100% or even close to 100% are basically non existent.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Chief keeping it real - our medical staff has not been the best on shoulders. So why would anyone know anything with confidence?

Judging from Chief's longtime insistence that our players play through concussions, he hasn't been the best on medical issues in general.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20190130-160346001.jpeg

Reaction Score
"Top 100" ≠ "247 Composite Top 100"
It's a composite of where he was ranked by all the sites, has nothing to do with my feelings. Calling him a top 100 recruit is a stretch.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's a composite of where he was ranked by all the sites, has nothing to do with my feelings. Calling him a top 100 recruit is a stretch.

One of the three major sites that factors into that composite ranked him in the Top 100. Not really a stretch at all. I know we're supposed to downplay the rankings and offer lists of the players we don't think belong here, but come on.

Reaction Score
One of the three major sites that factors into that composite ranked him in the Top 100. Not really a stretch at all. I know we're supposed to downplay the rankings and offer lists of the players we don't think belong here, but come on.
I'm not playing anything down, I never considered him a top 100 recruit and I don't think most people ever did. ESPN got some better people just recently but has always been an outlier. I think Gaffney should be ranked in the top 75 but until the composite just snuck him in the top 100 I wouldn't play it off that he's a top 100.

Reaction Score
I'm not playing anything down, I never considered him a top 100 recruit and I don't think most people ever did. ESPN got some better people just recently but has always been an outlier. I think Gaffney should be ranked in the top 75 but until the composite just snuck him in the top 100 I wouldn't play it off that he's a top 100.

Mamadou was a top 100 recruit. It’s plain and simple. This is a losing arguement for you.

You also said a few weeks back that he would never play bball again, but he saw the court against Wichita St.

You have been jumping the gun on writing him off for quite some time. Just let it play out. Not saying he will become a starting big man for us, but it’s too early to judge what he brings to the table.

Reaction Score
Mamadou was a top 100 recruit. It’s plain and simple. This is a losing arguement for you.

You also said a few weeks back that he would never play bball again, but he saw the court against Wichita St.

You have been jumping the gun on writing him off for quite some time. Just let it play out. Not saying he will become a starting big man for us, but it’s too early to judge what he brings to the table.
What I mean is he most likely won't play meaningful basketball again at this level. He's been playing basketball on it for a while but his knee is a mess and playing basketball on it is always going to hurt. We are recruiting like he's not a part of our frontcourt rotation. His scholly will be honored but he's certainly not someone we are banking on as contributor.

I really hope he can become a piece to the puzzle but expecting it is foolish.

Reaction Score
If Gilbert doesn't play tomorrow, we will need need one of those 50% from three point range games to give us a chance.

pj

Reaction Score

As long as the shoulder is inflamed, there is a heightened injury risk. They have to wait for the inflammation to go away. Any bruised tissue needs to heal.

If there's no structural damage then it should be days to at most a week or two before he's ready to go.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Laterjet

If you had a rotator cuff or labral repair you probably had anchors made from PEEK or Biocomposite. Completely different procedure for different indications.
Titanium or steel screws for the Latarjet; PEEK, Biocomposite or all-suture soft anchors for cuff or labrum repairs. Yes, you can get an MRI with metal screws in {they don’t go anywhere) and there are MRI protocols that reduce the metal artifact so you can see detail.

Also, there are procedures that can be done if the Latarjet fails, but these are real salvage operations. You have to remember the Third Law of Orthopedics - the best chance at a good outcome is the first try. Revision surgeries always entail compromises.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I had completely torn cuff repair as well as both labrum and 3 bicep tendons re-attached about 16 months ago and I still jump through the roof when I bang my shoulder a little too hard. Its a deep pain that you feel and you immediately wonder if a screw or clip popped out of place. I don't know what type but I've got titanium and plastic of some sort holding it all together. I'm hoping AG's sore for a few days and is able to get back at it.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
What are the first two laws?
Actually they are my own laws, after 25 years of doing this job.

The first is “the longer something has been a problem, the longer it takes to fully recover after you fix it.” This is more true for sports and reconstructive procedures, less for joint replacement.

The second law is, “the likelihood of success for any procedure is inversely related to the number of variations of that procedure.” If there was one great way of fixing a problem then there would only be one, or rather other methods would fade to irrelevance.

But @Giddyup5 is also quasi-right about “the enemy of good is perfect.” We want perfect, but sometimes good is good enough.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score

The first is “the longer something has been a problem, the longer it takes to fully recover after you fix it.” This is more true for sports and reconstructive procedures, less for joint replacement.

The second law is, “the likelihood of success for any procedure is inversely related to the number of variations of that procedure.” If there was one great way of fixing a problem then there would only be one, or rather other methods would fade to irrelevance.

But @Giddyup5 is also quasi-right about “the enemy of good is perfect.” We want perfect, but sometimes good is good enough.
Very interesting. Thank you.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Kind of like Tommy John surgery?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom