All but official - Warde to Michigan | The Boneyard

All but official - Warde to Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-warde-manuel-uconn-michigan-0128-20160127-story.html

It has finally come to pass, the AD who helped raise our football program from the ashes has moved on to greater pastures. No one can blame him for taking the Michigan job, his alma mater and probably a top-5 AD gig in the country. He seemed to have a lot of success at UConn and it's no surprise he got scooped up. At least we have another friend within the P5 cartel ;) Thanks to Warde Manuel for his time at the University of Connecticut!

Reaction Score
Good for him, the Michigan job is indeed a top job. But, with all due respect, my dead uncle could have risen our football program from the ashes, and he IS ashes.

I look at this as an incredible opportunity for UConn. There's an assistant out there at another top program who's ready to lead, we just have to identify the best fit and make an offer. How about we start with a list of the assistant athletic directors at the other B1G schools?

Reaction Score
If we have even a sniff of moving to a P-5 conference I would nominate Mike Aresco as the next AD. The pay would have to be comparable to what he's making now as commish. The guy has connections and could put together a kick ass staff. If anyone could work UConn into a better situation I bet he could. I'm sure there are other excellent candidates but you know what your getting with this guy and can you say that with the same certainty about an asst AD?

Reaction Score
Also, Texas as separate ADs for men and women. Of we can nab perhaps the women's AD that'd be a bit of a power move.

Reaction Score
One might argue that he participated in driving UConn football into the ashes but if he is gone we have an opportunity to bring in someone who really wants to build UConn back to the highest level. I suppose we could bring back Hathaway or something but short of a disasterously hire like that he ought to be pretty easy to find somebody to do an equally adequate job. In my view Warde only looked good in comparison to Hathaway but was a bad choice on conference realignment and no more than low average on everything else. I'd take slightly above average after the last two ADs we've had.

Reaction Score
I think Warde did a nice job in helping rebuild our Football program... The opportunity to run Michigan you just don't pass up... Congrats to him.. I truly hope our next AD can transition us to the next phase of our athletic prowess. I like what I've seen so far with Tim Pernetti.. Seems like a natural fit for us.. a guy that could bring us into the current and future. Only problem with his resume is the Mike Rice blemish... Can't put coaches ahead of the school.. I think he might've learned his lesson on that...

Reaction Score
One might argue that he participated in driving UConn football into the ashes but if he is gone we have an opportunity to bring in someone who really wants to build UConn back to the highest level. I suppose we could bring back Hathaway or something but short of a disasterously hire like that he ought to be pretty easy to find somebody to do an equally adequate job. In my view Warde only looked good in comparison to Hathaway but was a bad choice on conference realignment and no more than low average on everything else. I'd take slightly above average after the last two ADs we've had.

That's the nicest thing you've ever said about him. :)

Are you going soft?

Reaction Score
Hathaway - Hofstra (doesn't play football anymore)

Manuel - Michigan - (winningest college football program all-time)

Dear President Susan Herbst and UCONN Board of Trustees:

Please conduct a similar search for a similar candidate, that led to hiring Manuel.

Sincerely,

Me

Reaction Score
The new AD at Michigan should be able to bring all kinds of discussion to the table where Jim Delany sits at the head, as to what the University of Connecticut can bring to the Big10 conference as they get closer to a media contract negotiation.

Thanks for services rendered Warde Manuel, and remember Husky Nation when you sit with your new peers and discuss business.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Only if "one" = Freescooter.

One might argue that being tapped for the Michigan job (one might argue that it is the best and highest profile in the industry) is evidence that one might use to argue that Manuel did better than a merely low average job. One might argue that as well.

Reaction Score
I think Warde did a nice job in helping rebuild our Football program... The opportunity to run Michigan you just don't pass up... Congrats to him.. I truly hope our next AD can transition us to the next phase of our athletic prowess. I like what I've seen so far with Tim Pernetti.. Seems like a natural fit for us.. a guy that could bring us into the current and future. Only problem with his resume is the Mike Rice blemish... Can't put coaches ahead of the school.. I think he might've learned his lesson on that...

If other aspects are equal I would prefer not to go this route. Pernetti's qualifications are impressive without question but be prepared to watch those BB practice videos the day we hire him. He also cannot take full credit for Rutgers AAU, geography, media market or recruiting area. If we were already in the P5 we might have more flexibility here but it would surprise me if we went in that direction because of the timing here. We need a 100% positive endorsement for whoever gets the job with no distractions.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

One might argue that being tapped for the Michigan job (one might argue that it is the best and highest profile in the industry) is evidence that one might use to argue that Manuel did better than a merely low average job. One might argue that as well.
One might also argue that given the premise Manuel did a low average job at UConn, Michigan's leaders would have to have been born yesterday to hire such a supposedly sub-par candidate.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If other aspects are equal I would prefer not to go this route. Pernetti's qualifications are impressive without question but be prepared to watch those BB practice videos the day we hire him. He also cannot take full credit for Rutgers AAU, geography, media market or recruiting area. If we were already in the P5 we might have more flexibility here but it would surprise me if we went in that direction because of the timing here. We need a 100% positive endorsement for whoever gets the job with no distractions.
Yeah, I'd be okay with Pernetti, in a meh kind of way, but I don't think he should be at the top of the list. If we are looking for people with P5 connections, is Rutgers really the connection we want? I mean I'm sure he has contacts at other B1G universities but he wasn't at Rutgers for a long time. I suspect someone else might have more / deeper ties to P5 presidents / ADs. Pernetti's selling point is his experience with TV, which is good but I think the #1-2 strengths UConn should be looking for are running a top-notch athletics department and networking with P5 leaders.

Reaction Score

Michigan thinks Warde looks good in comparison to a lot of people.

He inherited a program in shambles who participated in a conference that for years failed to acknowledge the movement in college athletics. That's why so many of UConn's BE rivalries couldn't wait to get out. And as a result, UConn and the BE crashed and burned.

Reaction Score
How is an AD going to affect re-alignment/expansion? People continuously comment that is it really the Presidents of the U's that drive re-alignment/expansion, not the AD's. How would any AD have an affect on AAU status? I can see wanting an AD who has P5 connections to get P5 scheduling, and to promote and advance our athletics so should our President position ourselves to be accepted into a P5 conference we have that adding "cherry" on top of Athletic achievement. As Rutgers has clearly demonstrated though, is that Athletic prominence has ZERO affect on conference affiliation, it is all about Money and if the University as a whole fits into the prospective new conference. Just my 2 cents...

Reaction Score
Herbst let everyone at UConn know early she was the one who was going to take on the realignment battle, it's hilarious that people keep thinking it was Warde's job. Herbst wanted to take it on and told everyone it was at the presidential level period.

Reaction Score
Herbst let everyone at UConn know early she was the one who was going to take on the realignment battle, it's hilarious that people keep thinking it was Warde's job. Herbst wanted to take it on and told everyone it was at the presidential level period.
Herbst doesn't know a hockey stick from a helmet. Zero experience in athletics and zero prior experience running a major college institution as a president with ultimate responsibility for sports programs. Without a very savvy advisor with real good ole boy connections she doesn't stand a chance. Same goes with the next AD.

Reaction Score
That's the nicest thing you've ever said about him. :)

Are you going soft?
There is a story that upon hearing that one of his long time opponents had died Churchill rose in the House of Commons to praise the man. About halfway through his speech he stopped turned to an aide and said, Now you're sure he's dead?" When the aide said yes, he went on with his praise...So tell me are you sure he's gone?

Reaction Score
Herbst doesn't know a hockey stick from a helmet. Zero experience in athletics and zero prior experience running a major college institution as a president with ultimate responsibility for sports programs. Without a very savvy advisor with real good ole boy connections she doesn't stand a chance. Same goes with the next AD.
Exactly! Warde's job was to be that advisor and he wasn't up to it. We hope the next person will be.

Reaction Score

One might argue that, though their track record is less than stellar with 3 of the last 4 Michigan ADs fired/resigned under pressure. But hey, they never hire the wrong guy in Ann Arbor. Just like every football coach the bring in has been incredibly successful. Well, except for the ones that weren't. So I'm not sure picking Warde proves more than they have decided they need a "Michigan Man" this round. Ghey tend to like them though the most successful ADs there have not been Michigan grads, at least in recent years. They also want an athletic director type this time after going the businessman route last time with Brandon who was a retail guy with not athletics background to speak of. But as they say don't let reality affect a good story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom