All but official - Warde to Michigan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

All but official - Warde to Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd rather see Ollie coaching as the staff still seems to recruit their fair share of top talent and..... the biggest problem with last years team was youth and chemistry. This year, injury and chemistry. I'm not sure you can coach chemistry. But...if for some reason Ollie decided to move on why not the guy sitting next to him, Glen Miller?

Reaction Score
I'd rather see Ollie coaching as the staff still seems to recruit their fair share of top talent and..... the biggest problem with last years team was youth and chemistry. This year, injury and chemistry. I'm not sure you can coach chemistry. But...if for some reason Ollie decided to move on why not the guy sitting next to him, Glen Miller?

I think/hope chemistry is coming together and the injury is about to heal. This team can still make a serious run and put any Ollie debate to bed.

Reaction Score
Thanks Warde for all your hard work and your outstanding coaching hires.

I'm sure Michigan is his absolute dream job and he has completely earned it in my eyes. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he puts a good word in for us with the Delaney

Reaction Score
Only if "one" = Freescooter.

One might argue that being tapped for the Michigan job (one might argue that it is the best and highest profile in the industry) is evidence that one might use to argue that Manuel did better than a merely low average job. One might argue that as well.

One might agree with you over freescooter. Well at this this one will.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hold on, let me get this straight...I know that Herbst and Manuel were in PR during the heat of the CR stuff with the ACC, but is someone trying to say that they were caught with their pants down FIGURATIVELY or LITERALLY....if the latter, I've never heard that one before and hope to never hear it again lol

Reaction Score
One can only hope that Warde will leave UCONN with positve memories and positive thoughts for the potential of the university.

I bet he was sweating more than usual, when it was 21-7 uconn over michigan in the 3rd quarter back in sept 2013.

Its all about personal relationships, and personalities, and having a friend in the athletic director's chair at Michigan can only be a positive thing, if for nothing else than scheduling. At least one voice, that can speak well for UCONN at a big boy table, should the discussions ever come up.

I hope that Warde leaves on great terms with the school, because he did a good job.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
One can only hope that Warde will leave UCONN with positve memories and positive thoughts for the potential of the university.

I bet he was sweating more than usual, when it was 21-7 uconn over michigan in the 3rd quarter back in sept 2013.

Its all about personal relationships, and personalities, and having a friend in the athletic director's chair at Michigan can only be a positive thing, if for nothing else than scheduling. At least one voice, that can speak well for UCONN at a big boy table, should the discussions ever come up.

I hope that Warde leaves on great terms with the school, because he did a good job.
"...I'm grateful for being the athletic director at UConn. No matter what the future brings I'll always have a tremendous love and admiration for this university and this state."

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Official UConn announcements on a search and interim AD (if one is named) should come today at some point after this presser through a press conference or press release from Herbst.

I will gladly interim AD if they'll pay off my student loans.

Reaction Score
EdDaigneault 11:31am via TweetDeck
Susan Herbst issues statement that says Rachel Rubin, Herbst's chief of staff, will serve as UConn interim AD.

EdDaigneault 11:31am via TweetDeck
Herbst: "While we are sorry to lose (Manuel) at UConn, we also understand how much the position at Michigan means to him ..."

EdDaigneault 11:32am via TweetDeck
"... and we wish him all the best. ... We will begin a national search for a permanent successor immediately."

ManthonyCourant 11:33am via Twitter Web Client
UConn search committee for new AD: Andy Bessett, Scott Brown, Andrea Dennis-LaVigne, Doug Elliot, Thomas Ritter, Rachel Rubin, Nancy Stevens

EdDaigneault 11:34am via TweetDeck
Herbst has appointed a search committee. Rubin, four BOT members and field hockey coach Nancy Stevens are on the committee.

EdDaigneault 11:34am via TweetDeck
Ultimately, Herbst says, she will appoint the next UConn AD.

Reaction Score
To:
Subject: A Message To UConn Fans
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016

"Dear UConn Fans,

The only downside to hiring fine leaders for key positions at UConn is that their experience and skills are sought after by other institutions across the nation, who also want to hire strong leaders.

When Warde Manuel, our Athletic Director since 2012, told me he was interested in the AD position at the University of Michigan, I was not at all surprised; Michigan is his alma mater where he spent years of his life as a student-athlete, playing football for Bo Schembechler, participating in track and field, and earning his degrees, later becoming assistant and associate AD there.

I was also not surprised when he was recently named to the position; Warde is a terrific AD and any university would be lucky to have him.

While we are sorry to lose him at UConn, we also understand how much the position at Michigan means to him and we wish him all the best.

Warde is expected to begin at Michigan in March. Rachel Rubin, who began her career at UConn as an Associate Athletic Director and is currently Chief of Staff in my office, will serve as interim AD.

We will begin a national search for a permanent successor immediately. I have appointed a committee to lead this search. They will serve in a critically important advisory capacity as we move through the process and I ultimately appoint our next AD. The members of the committee are:
  • Andrew Bessette (’75), UConn Board of Trustees
  • Scott Brown, UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of Educational Psychology, NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative
  • Andrea Dennis-LaVigne (’03), UConn Board of Trustees (Committee Chair)
  • Doug Elliot (’82), President of The Hartford
  • Thomas Ritter (Law ’77), UConn Board of Trustees
  • Rachel Rubin (’77), Chief of Staff to the President & Executive Secretary to the Board of Trustees
  • Nancy Stevens, Head Coach, UConn Field Hockey
I look forward to a thorough and efficient search process.

Please join me in thanking Warde for his outstanding service to UConn and in wishing him all the best.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst "

Reaction Score
I watched the vast majority of it, he seemed to be very nervous at the beginning but towards the end was very calm and relaxed. great shout out to Uconn mixed in there as well.

ManthonyCourant11:24am via Twitter Web Client
Warde Manuel had nice things to say about UConn, including "UConn deserves to be in a Power Five conference."

Reaction Score
Am I the only nervous one on the yard?

Is this really the time to appoint R-squared as our AD, interim or not? I was hoping for a more meaningful name in case the B12, which is meeting next week and making more and more noise around expansion, decides to scratch Boren's itch.

Reaction Score
Am I the only nervous one on the yard?

Is this really the time to appoint R-squared as our AD, interim or not? I was hoping for a more meaningful name in case the B12, which is meeting next week and making more and more noise around expansion, decides to scratch Boren's itch.
If there is anyone who knows what is going on with CR it's RR. She is Herbst's right hand...from what I have been told..it is RR who encouraged Herbst to take a serious look at Hathaway so quickly. She also knows the terms of Tranghese's deal with UConn so this isn't so bad. As long as it doesn't linger...which looking at the email/release that was sent out it doesn't look like it won't.

Reaction Score
I trust SH. We simply seem to find ourselves in the unenviable position again of having the wrong or a very new person sitting in the AD's chair whenever the CR wheel gets spinning.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If there is anyone who knows what is going on with CR it's RR. She is Herbst's right hand...from what I have been told..it is RR who encouraged Herbst to take a serious look at Hathaway so quickly. She also knows the terms of Tranghese's deal with UConn so this isn't so bad. As long as it doesn't linger...which looking at the email/release that was sent out it doesn't look like it won't.
She IS Susan's right hand. She also has lots of history with the Athletic Department starting with Lew Perkins and beyond. She is extremely competent and will hold the fort down until there is a new athletic director.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom