All but official - Warde to Michigan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All but official - Warde to Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
If we have even a sniff of moving to a P-5 conference I would nominate Mike Aresco as the next AD. The pay would have to be comparable to what he's making now as commish. The guy has connections and could put together a kick ass staff. If anyone could work UConn into a better situation I bet he could. I'm sure there are other excellent candidates but you know what your getting with this guy and can you say that with the same certainty about an asst AD?
Not for nothing, but wouldn't Mike Aresco's goal (even as UConn AD) to continue keeping UConn in the American- where he's built a stong, competitive conference. Getting the AAC moved up to a "P5" status in Football?

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Least he could do is schedule home and homes with football and basketball. Good luck to him though.

Reaction Score
If Warde was chosen as NFL commissioner, after doing an awesome job at Michigan, some clowns would say the NFL...blah, blah, blah, Peter Principle, blah, blah, blah.

Some people take embarrassing themselves to levels unheard of on this planet or any other, for that matter.

Reaction Score
If Warde was chosen as NFL commissioner, after doing an awesome job at Michigan, some clowns would say the NFL...blah, blah, blah, Peter Principle, blah, blah, blah.

Some people take embarrassing themselves to levels unheard of on this planet or any other, for that matter.
Wards came on strong IMHO after very poor start where he floundered miserably and aimlessly with the Devil brothers, CR, KO etc.. His subsequent scheduling efforts and hires were very good. Not sure he is ready for prime time, but, as usual, special factors seem to prevail over pure merit. I think he will be solid but he certainly wasn't the most qualified, experienced and successful AD to be had. I wish him well dealing with azzclown, Harbaugh. Couldn't pay me enough to be around that guy.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Herbst doesn't know a hockey stick from a helmet. Zero experience in athletics and zero prior experience running a major college institution as a president with ultimate responsibility for sports programs. Without a very savvy advisor with real good ole boy connections she doesn't stand a chance. Same goes with the next AD.
Administrators don't need to be former athletes to understand the importance of athletics to a University. Herbst understands. Sports = branding = increasing number and quality of applicants = future alumni. You don't have to take my word for it, go to a UConn alumni event where she speaks and judge for yourself.

Reaction Score
Heaven forbid.
Don't look at me. Their last ad ran toys are us and dominos pizza. Two before him, Tom Goss (fired after 3 years) played football at Michigan but came fro Proctor & Gamble. Bill Martin who preceded Brandon was a real estate developer and member of the US Olympic Committee so at least had some background managing athletic programs. He was not a Michigan man (Wittenburg grad) though. He lasted 10 years, and retired rather than being pushed out. There were complaints throughout his tenure that he didn't appreciate Michigan and Michigan should consider that in future hires. So Warde is the highest profile Michigan man available but that in no way assures he is the best qualified guy available.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of my concerns is the potential that Ollie or Diaco have some sort of clause in their contract regarding WM leaving/a different AD coming on. Does anyone know if either have any changes that have to be made/opened up in the event in the change of AD? For some reason I thought I'd read this about their contracts somewhere on this board.

Reaction Score
One of my concerns is the potential that Ollie or Diaco have some sort of clause in their contract regarding WM leaving/a different AD coming on. Does anyone know if either have any changes that have to be made/opened up in the event in the change of AD? For some reason I thought I'd read this about their contracts somewhere on this board.
Don't know about Diaco..Ollie's has something in it though

Reaction Score

Yes, per a release just out from the Courant, Ollie has a. Year from Warde's departure to exercise an escape clause. This gives Ollie a major role in the selection of the next AD if he wants it. Of corse it also gives him the opportunity to go elsewhere without a significant buy out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't look at me. Their last ad ran toys are us and dominos pizza. Two before him, Tom Goss (fired after 3 years) played football at Michigan but came fro Proctor & Gamble. Bill Martin who preceded Brandon was a real estate developer and member of the US Olympic Committee so at least had some background managing athletic programs. He was not a Michigan man (Wittenburg grad) though. He lasted 10 years, and retired rather than being pushed out. There were complaints throughout his tenure that he didn't appreciate Michigan and Michigan should consider that in future hires. So Warde is the highest profile Michigan man available but that in no way assures he is the best qualified guy available.
You've brought up the Peter Principle. While it may apply to David Brandon, the Peter Principle doesn't apply to Warde Manuel, who not only climbed the ranks within the industry, but successfully held the top post at two institutions prior to Michigan and make no mistake. Warde Manuel was successful at UConn.

Personally I don't put a ton of stock in the "Michigan Man" thing they have going on in Ann Arbor, but in Warde Manuel's case, it certainly is not a checkmark in the negative (Incidentally, Martin got his MBA from The Ross School of Business. So he actually was a Michigan Man.)

Reaction Score
Administrators don't need to be former athletes to understand the importance of athletics to a University. Herbst understands. Sports = branding = increasing number and quality of applicants = future alumni. You don't have to take my word for it, go to a UConn alumni event where she speaks and judge for yourself.
Much more complicated than understanding sports are important. College sports is its own industry sadly with many stakeholders. These are essentially media entertainment and finance deals and if you don't know how to navigate the business its trouble. Its precisely why we were left on the curb previously. Total failure to appreciate what was occurring and where things were headed, failure to be ready to market a financial case of value add, and failure to get financing in place to leverage ourselves into a conference. Say what you will, but Rutgers played the game well, and sold the Big10 on increased revenue as opposed to a welfare member. Despite how terrible they are a every level it worked. Sometimes you have recognize incompetence when the facts unabashedly support it. The last CR round, Warde and Susan got caught with their pants down sipping Daiquiris in PR.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Would people be that upset if Ollie left? I know very little about college basketball, but I was wondering the other week if we wouldn't consider Ed Cooley if Ollie left

Reaction Score
Would people be that upset if Ollie left? I know very little about college basketball, but I was wondering the other week if we wouldn't consider Ed Cooley if Ollie left
Yes..but I don't think Ollie is gonna leave to tell you the truth. But yeah I can see Cooley being a candidate if he did. He's more likely to end up at BC though.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yes. Yes they would.
Yes..but I don't think Ollie is gonna leave to tell you the truth. But yeah I can see Cooley being a candidate if he did. He's more likely to end up at BC though.

Okay, that seemed smart in my mind but I was afraid I'd get dumped on for saying it. That being said, let me ask a follow up question...who would you rather have--Ollie or Cooley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom