Akok Akok | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was there. Not overly impressed with Akok Akok. He really struggled off the dribble and getting his shot off against smaller, quicker, stronger defenders. He’s extremely thin and will struggle to rebound against big, physical teams. He’s reminds me a lot of Ajou Deng. He’s skilled but I don’t see how he’s thinking about the NBA right now. He’s not even physically ready to play in college.

He’s not the kid on PSA I would want.
This take... satire?

Reaction Score
He was at the game tonight, behind the bench. He is one skinny dude. Any idea who the other three were next to him?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It does concern me that Akok may be a 3 year project playing 1 year and would end up playing out of position at the 5 while developing. Think Majok.

Reaction Score
Kofi is a monster but he’s a 3-4 year player that needs a lot of development and conditioning. Akok is more skilled, more of a scorer and rim protector and he’s the guy we really want.

Let’s get both just to be sure.

Reaction Score
Kofi is a monster but he’s a 3-4 year player that needs a lot of development and conditioning. Akok is more skilled, more of a scorer and rim protector and he’s the guy we really want.

I dont Know about this. Seem relatively even as prospects. Especially as college players. Akok better pro prospect.

Reaction Score
I dont Know about this. Seem relatively even as prospects. Especially as college players. Akok better pro prospect.

Agreed.

Akok if he reaches his potential is a 16/6/2 and a couple blocks kind of guy.

In the modern NBA kofi doesn't have much of a place. No shot blocking or ability to stretch the floor. Certainly not as a starter. Back up big if he can learn to blo

I think kofi is the better college player, despite some weird coordination issues. 6'11 and 300lbs. He would have send half the cornell roster home in lifestar.

Best thing about kofi as a recruit is hell probably have to stay at least two years.

Reaction Score
It does concern me that Akok may be a 3 year project playing 1 year and would end up playing out of position at the 5 while developing. Think Majok.

Why would he be playing the 5? I thought the consensus was we're looking at him as a 4, and one of Cockburn/Mitchell/Wahab at the 5.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed.

In the modern NBA kofi doesn't have much of a place. No shot blocking or ability to stretch the floor. Certainly not as a starter. Back up big if he can learn to blo

I think kofi is the better college player, despite some weird coordination issues. 6'11 and 300lbs. He would have send half the cornell roster home in lifestar.

Best thing about kofi as a recruit is hell probably have to stay at least two years.

No shot blocking ability? How do we know that? No ability to stretch the floor? How do we know that? It's silly. Pat Ewing couldn't score from more than 6 feet when he got to college and eventually learned to shoot from outside. Shot blocking is a skill. If you are tall, you can learn to block shots. True some come by it instinctively, but others learn the skill.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This may be true, but my heart wants a guy like Kofi because we haven't had a beast like this since maybe Adrien. And we always get killed by these guys. I'm dreaming of a guy like DeJuan Blair--I'm aware they don't have the same game tho.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Take with a grain of salt, but I was told something could be coming within the next few days. Regardless of timing my source told me the only real threat to us is the NBA.

Chief is sniffing around now.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

We really need size. That monster from Syracuse who just put his arms up (can't remember his name but that guy just put up his arms and the commentators were all like "oh, that's coaching!") was one of the few challenges Syracuse gave us. And Iowa was just so big - every one of them. If we have a project who is enormous, I'll take it.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
This may be true, but my heart wants a guy like Kofi because we haven't had a beast like this since maybe Adrien. And we always get killed by these guys. I'm dreaming of a guy like DeJuan Blair--I'm aware they don't have the same game tho.

I think Hurley will recruit the Jeff Adriens and the Kevin Freemans -- guys with heart and motors that won't quit. That was our defining characteristic and it will be again, IMHO.

Reaction Score
Take with a grain of salt, but I was told something could be coming within the next few days. Regardless of timing my source told me the only real threat to us is the NBA.

Has to be today. Sign that letter, last day of signing period. Anything can happen between now and May. If you commit after today, it's still open season for your signature. Every coach knows that.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

I’d like to see Kofi’s development over the next few years before making an accessment on his pro potential

Reaction Score
I was there. Not overly impressed with Akok Akok. He really struggled off the dribble and getting his shot off against smaller, quicker, stronger defenders. He’s extremely thin and will struggle to rebound against big, physical teams. He’s reminds me a lot of Ajou Deng. He’s skilled but I don’t see how he’s thinking about the NBA right now. He’s not even physically ready to play in college.

He’s not the kid on PSA I would want.
He's by far their best prospect.

We really want both, it's not either or.

Reaction Score
After watching the video posted of his strengths and weaknesses, I think (and it's just my opinion, so grain of salt, yada yada yada), he seemed slow to move his feet on defense which means he'll probably end up in foul trouble. They way our guys pressure the ball, he has to be aware, and quick to rotate to help at the rim, a step slow means a foul and potential and one.

He also seemed slow to recognize the double team, which means turnovers. That said, I'm just talking about the weaknesses and why I think Akok would be a better player for us, I certainly want him at UConn and there is a lot to love about his game and what he brings to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom