Akok Akok | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Some of the negative/questioning comments about Akok surprise me. He is a consensus top 50 player right? What am I missing?
Recruting websites rank the top recruits in the country, but this is not necessarily the same thing as ranking the top 50 NBA prospects.

Reaction Score
Whether he's actually considering about going or not, this has been a great PR strategy. He's attracted national attention, possible unwarrantedly so, which definitely helps draft stock.

If he ends up coming to us this will help us. "High Schooler skips draft to attend UConn."
This “strategy “ has Kentucky/duke as plans b/c written all over it. I feel like a squids sea urchin perched itself on Akok’s shoulder and tempted him with this new focus. This could be a distraction as well next year that I’m not sure we want. Being a top 10 guy with nba aspirations is expected but anything below that is as much a crap shoot as second rounders.

Reaction Score
I think the point is that his athletic traits outpace his basketball skills at this point. His one year in college may not be at a superstar level, but he'll get drafted based on being long, athletic, and with 3-point range, hoping that the skills to grow into a good NBA starter will come with experience.

Not sure if this has been said before, but he reminds me a lot of Jaren Jackson Jr. Long, raw, athletic big who shoots 3s, blocks shots, and runs the floor. Definitely not the prospect that Jackson was, and I think it's safe to say that he'll ever get there. A couple of years in college will give him a chance to polish his skills and show them on a national level. If he chooses UConn, I think Hurley will mold him into a pick and pop type that can guard 1-5, defend the rim, and get out on the break.

Reaction Score
I think the point is that his athletic traits outpace his basketball skills at this point. His one year in college may not be at a superstar level, but he'll get drafted based on being long, athletic, and with 3-point range, hoping that the skills to grow into a good NBA starter will come with experience.

Exactly. Recruiting rankings and draft potential are not congruent (although often the latter is one part of the former). He's not as polished and is unlikely to be an impact player on offense in the brief time he will be in school. But his skills are incredibly in demand at the NBA level. The league is moving towards starting 5 wings and switching everything while spacing 5 out on offense. He's the perfect NBA role player starter, much better than the college stars who are polished but athletically cant cut it in the NBA and whose skills don't translate. Athleticism and shooting translate. He'll need to work on his playmaking, passing, and close-out attacking, but he's got 2 of the 3 most coveted traits of the current NBA (defensive versatility and spacing).

So he's ranked ~30 in recruiting rankings, but I think he may be the ~20th most likely guy to get drafted from his HS class. Of note, doesn't mean he's one and done necessarily, just that he will get drafted at some point if he continues showing those traits at a high level.

Reaction Score
Ouch.
I was there. Not overly impressed with Akok Akok. He really struggled off the dribble and getting his shot off against smaller, quicker, stronger defenders. He’s extremely thin and will struggle to rebound against big, physical teams. He’s reminds me a lot of Ajou Deng. He’s skilled but I don’t see how he’s thinking about the NBA right now. He’s not even physically ready to play in college.

He’s not the kid on PSA I would want.

Reaction Score
I was there. Not overly impressed with Akok Akok. He really struggled off the dribble and getting his shot off against smaller, quicker, stronger defenders. He’s extremely thin and will struggle to rebound against big, physical teams. He’s reminds me a lot of Ajou Deng. He’s skilled but I don’t see how he’s thinking about the NBA right now. He’s not even physically ready to play in college.

He’s not the kid on PSA I would want.

He’s all about potential. He needs to to gain strength and bulk, but the skills are elite. PSA has a couple guys that can play right away and we are after them too. No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom