A'ja Wilson to Visit So. Carolina

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by UConnCat, Aug 28, 2013.

1. LadyVolFan

LadyVolFan Used Member

I too saw the post that he is referring to; however, it also stated that White is leaning towards South Carolina. Not sure why that was not posted as well. If Staley somehow managed to bring in both White and Wilson that would be incredibly impressive, but I do not see that happening.
  2. pap49cba

pap49cba The Supreme Linkster

Well my 'sources' tell me Wilson is leaning to Central Michigan. :rolleyes:
  3. Raoul

Raoul Popular Poster

Does that "better than 50% accuracy rate" include his recent predictions that Christa Reed would pick Ole Miss and Katelynn Flaherty would choose Georgia?

What has he gotten right lately? Waterman to OSU? Did anyone really need a prediction on that one?
  4. doggydaddy

doggydaddy Grampysorus Rex

I would guess that most posters here could have 50% accuracy.
    Icebear likes this.
  5. UCONNfan1

UCONNfan1 Popular Poster

Never thought we were going to land Wilson anyway. It's a nice idea, but everything I've read led me to believe it would be difficult to get her out of South Carolina. But one never knows with recruiting.
  6. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

That's what I assumed.
  7. Boxerpups4me

Boxerpups4me Semper Paratus

I'm sure unofficial visits may have some relevance, but it doesn't automatically mean a recruit will come to the school. Diamond Deshields made quite a few unofficial visits to Tennessee, but of course signed with UNC..
    Icebear likes this.
  8. stwainfan

stwainfan Popular Poster

I haven't seen her play. Is there anyone her game is like? Is her game like Charles, Russell, or someone else.
  9. Alydar

Alydar Popular Poster

Hey Jim, FWIW, a poster on a Tenn board has it on good authority that Geno promised Stewart an Olympic position in 2016 to land her and that he is doing the same with Wilson for 2020. Should I consider that a reliable source? :D
    '
    BTW, I can get 50% right as to whether a recruit signs with any particular team by flipping coins. And I remember a lot of Georgia people were sure DD was going either to UConn or Tenn.
    I know absolutely nothing about recruits other than what I read. What I do know is that most of the people that claim to know have a bias, either for a team or. as in the case of that Tenn fan, a bias against a team.
  10. Raoul

Raoul Popular Poster

No idea what you mean. Are you saying you could go over a list of uncommitted players and predict with 50% accuracy the schools they'll commit to? I'll bet you can't.
  11. 01Neaggrad02

01Neaggrad02 Popular Poster

Well I am sure A'ja will make the right decision for her.

Hey, can someone tell me, who is the Olympic Coach in 2016? Hummmmm ;)
    Icebear likes this.
  12. 01Neaggrad02

I really like when she says she wants to win gold... and be at the top of her game... also that she loves playing against DeShields....
    DavidinNaples likes this.
  13. ericsandiego

ericsandiego Cronus

While obviously I hope we get her, I just get the feeling we won't. I wonder if Geno's inability to land a single post player the past 2 seasons will come back to bite him. I don't think there's anyone else on the board for him to go after. I know that UCONN does things differently - they cast a very narrow net, and if it appears it won't work out, THEN they start to focus on someone else.

BTW anyone know why we never went after Jatarie White? Was there no interest on her part, or vice versa? Just curious as she's the highest rated 5 in the class per most services...
  14. connboy77

connboy77 Popular Poster

My guess is that Jatarie was not interested in UCONN and Geno does not waste his time on recruits that don't have any interest in UCONN.
  15. doggydaddy

Selective players.

The poster on the Georgia board is not predicting every player. Why should I?
  16. UcMiami

UcMiami Popular Poster

Eric and others - I know A'ja has the height, but I really wouldn't call her a post based on the USA film I saw, and not even a traditional PF. (I would say the same about Breanna as well.) And while people do not call Graves a post, she proved with USA BB that she can play and defend that position very well even without the height. So whether or not we get A'ja I do not think it really helps the 'post' position or the need to find someone in 2015. On the current roster and even including A'ja the best 'post' player we have beyond 2015 is probably Morgan.
  17. Paul1969

Paul1969 Popular Poster

I'm appalled at your spelling of appalling. LOL
  18. doggydaddy

I thought she defended well. She led the team in blocks and rebounds. She will be a 3/4 in college. A great fit for UConn if she decides to go there.
  19. UcMiami

UcMiami Popular Poster

Agree completely - just not a traditional post or 'power forward'.
  20. VAMike23

VAMike23 The Virginian

From what I saw, I disagree as far as her ability to defend in the post. I think that given her age at the time (16) and development she looked very capable defending players on the lane. Not fronting as undersized players will do, but defending from behind. She has very good length and she is plenty strong to defend the post at the next level by the time she arrives at D1. So I would say she could very easily defend traditional posts in the paint. IMHO.

Having said that, it seems clear she wants to play an all-court game so she could be defending forwards and even wings as well. I think she's agile enough for that, too, except for the elite/fastest wings.
  21. ericsandiego

ericsandiego Cronus

She's going to be special. I think we miss out on her. Which I believe is why Geno and co. are already looking at post players from 2015.
  22. 01Neaggrad02

Well even if we do land her... Kiah Stokes would be a senior her freshman season. That would leave Stewie and Tuck along with Wilson. I think Geno HAS to look for post players in 2015....

I could be wrong but I think for there to be a good team we need at least four or five strong post players. At least three or four excellent guards... of which at least three of them should be shooting guards...

Last year: Heather, Stef, Kiah, Morgan, Stewie for post players
    Guards: Bria, Brianna, Moriah, Caroline....

Then add in the people who can do anything... like KML, Faris, Stewie could be here as well....
  23. 01Neaggrad02

Also Recall the TASSK class. Ashja, Tamika, and Swin all at 6'2". Coming in when we had Kelly Schumacher at 6'5" (I believe)... Stacey Hansmeyer (6'1"???, Paige Sauer (6'4"?).... And then we had BIG RIGS at 6'6".
  24. UcMiami

UcMiami Popular Poster

Geno also really likes a 'post' player, someone who spends the majority of their offensive time fighting for position in the low block, with pop outs to the free throw line extended for the occasional J and to pass into a rotating forward. Defensively he wants someone with enough bulk and strength to disrupt and push opposing post off their spots. Neither Breanna nor at this point (she is young) A'ja are that body type so the search will continue regardless of A'ja's choice.
  25. semper

semper Paleographer

Yeah, I agree with Uc. I hope we land her, but the beat goes on....
Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex