A'ja Wilson to Visit So. Carolina

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by UConnCat, Aug 28, 2013.

1. JRRRJ

JRRRJ Chief didacticist

But aren't unofficial visits funded by the recruit? To me, that would indicate more interest, not less.

Phil, CBus13, johnnyc and 1 other person like this.
  2. caramel

caramel Connecticut son in the Florida sun

Yes they are,and in many cases,there is a genuine interest by the young lady in the school she is visiting.However,I am sure there are other reasons why a young lady would unofficially visit a school,which is not usually apparent.Parents could have a desire for their daughter to attend a specific school,and pay her way there,hoping she will like it.Friends,whether on the specific college's team or other friends could pressure her to check out so and so school.After all,no matter how talented they are,they are still young,and can change their mind,sometimes over and over.Peer pressure can be a crime at times,at least to me.

3. Sonny44

Sonny44

I still hope she comes to UCONN.
    But I was hoping that playing USA ball with three of our young stars would have pushed her over the top to an early sign.
    Now I can't help but think our chances go down with time because of her ties to the south.

4. Icebear

Icebear Andlig Ledare

Kids, also, use unofficial visits to check out schools closer to home vs official visits on the schools dime to go to those farther away. Thus unofficial visits can, also, be an issue of economic praticality.

5. HuskyNan

HuskyNan Administrator

This is a common misconception. Recruits can't sign their National Letters of Intent (aka NLOI, NLI or LOI) until one of the two signing periods in her senior year of high school.

The early signing period for basketball - Nov. 13 - 20, 2013

Regular signing period for basketball - April 16 - May 21, 2014

(here's more info on LOIs)

LOIs signed early are not valid.

Many recruits, although not all, give an oral (also called a verbal) commitment. These are not regulated by the NCAA and are not required. It's simply a statement by a recruit that she intends to sign her LOI for that school during one of the signing periods. It's not binding on either party and, in fact, it's not unknown for a recruit to change her mind and make an oral commitment elsewhere. UConn had a recruit give an oral commitment to the Huskies at the Super Show, then a week later declared she was going to, um, LSU? but when she signed her LOI it was to Florida which shocked everyone, including the LSU and Florida coaches. No rules were broken since there are no rules for oral commitments. (btw, she played 2 years at Florida before transferring)

Incidentally, schools can pull scholarship offers at any time including after a recruits gives an oral commitment. There've been several times when a school has pulled an offer late, especially in football. Unethical maybe, but it breaks no rules.

You may know all this stuff, Sonny. I'm just tacking this onto my response to you for general informational purposes.

6. Sonny44

Sonny44

Thanks Nan,
    I certainly did not know all of that, but was hoping for a verbal hint or two if not formal intent.

7. UcMiami

UcMiami How it is

I would add one item to all this discussion - most of the top end of any year's recruiting pool (the recruits that can basically choose any school to attend as almost every coach would be happy to have them) have spent years going to USA basketball camps/trials and in most cases have played on multiple USA teams. Wilson missed all those opportunities because of academic conflicts until this past summer when she got her first chance to experience both the trials and an international competition. I think that experience has a 'mind altering' effect on a young player and it takes some time to digest the experience. Add to that the time commitment devoted to USA basketball cutting into the time period in which she was planning to do her college research and I am not surprised that she feels she might need more time to evaluate her options.

DavidinNaples and Icebear like this.
  8. stamfordhusky

stamfordhusky

Probably unethical to pull an offer after a recruit has committed. Not unethical at all to pull an offer before a commitment - no matter how late in the process. Most schools give multiple offers for every position.

9. vowelguy

vowelguy AEIOU

10. CannonVol

CannonVol

Wilson has been to Tennessee at least three times on unofficial visits and is now coming on her official on the weekend Tennessee plays Georgia in football. Like an earlier post said, you have to question the decision making process if a recruit chooses a school just because of the football team. However, there is a reason that many schools will schedule an official visit around a football weekend. Simply put, the atmosphere can have a decided impact, much like the reason that UConn tries to arrange a visit from an important recruit during your First Night activities.

While I surely hope that Wilson will give Tennessee serious consideration, Tyree, a regular poster on the Georgia board has indicated that his sources indicate that Dawn Staley and South Carolina are the leaders and probable location for Wilson's eventual commitment. And, most of the rumblings that I have heard lead me to believe that, also, at this point. And yes, I know that A'ja Wilson and her family have stated that she is wide open as far as the status of her recruiting as of now, but the speculation and the give and take between fan bases is what makes following recruiting the fun that it is. So take everything I have posted as a fwiw.

Jim

mcannon1 and Fightin Choke like this.
  11. doggydaddy

doggydaddy Grampysorus Rex

Woweeeee....a poster on a Georgia board has sources that say South Carolina is the probable destination.

Thanks Jim.

12. vowelguy

vowelguy AEIOU

Czel did not have a scholarship either year.

UConn also had 14 scholarships used in 2007-8 and 2008-9.

13. CannonVol

CannonVol

Well dd, I did say to take it for what it was worth. But, I will say that Tyree has a better than 50% accuracy rate in his statements that I have seen in the past. Is he right in this prediction? I guess we'll know when Ms Wilson actually signs her NLOI. Of course, he could be spot on with his prediction at the present time and she could change her mind a dozen times between now and the time she actually signs with a school.

Jim

14. doggydaddy

So basically there was no reason to post that information.

Hmmm.....posting that Uconn probably won't get a recruiting target. Nice on a Uconn board. Not just a recruiting target but a real important one.

Like I said, thanks.

15. CannonVol

CannonVol

dd, sorry to be the Debbie Downer that you don't want to hear from. I wasn't trying to rain on your parade (although it apparently seems that way to you). You will note that I didn't tout Tennessee's chances of obtaining Wilson's commitment. I'll try not to come back unless I've got some neutral information or some sunshine to pump up your you-know-where.

Jim

FairView, UCONNfan1 and arch like this.
  16. 2Infinity

2Infinity

Thanks for your update Jim, as well as for the info from the Georgia poster. An update from a worthy source is always appreciated, whether it's optimistic in nature...or not. Posting a negative opinion might be a different story, but you clearly weren't doing that. Since this is all conjecture at this point, we'll just hope that AW is impressed with First Night at UConn, the new practice facility and Geno's being named Olympic coach again!

Fightin Choke likes this.
  17. doggydaddy

Or you could say nothing.

Which you basically did.

But i wouldnt tell you what to post. Feel free to post whatever you want and I'll do the same.

When the player and their family says don't believe anything you hear unless it comes from them, anything coming from sources like that mean nothing. She is taking her visits. I believe she will be at first night.

Posting rumors from 2nd hand and sometimes 3rd hand sources is something I'm not a fan of.

Icebear likes this.
  18. Fightin Choke

Fightin Choke Golden Dome Fan

I appreciate the information, Jim.

DD, are you upset by the fact that the information is second hand, or the fact that the information is not what you wanted to hear? You have reacted similarly to posts from anyone (UConn fan or visitor) who has posted anything that suggested UConn's chances at a prospect were somewhat diminished in any way. The only exceptions are when the information has been confirmed by the horde. Is innuendo acceptable only when it suggests that UConn's fortunes are enhanced, or is it always unwelcome?

Do you have a history with Cannonvol that has placed you in a defensive stance?

UCONNfan1 and 2Infinity like this.
  19. doggydaddy

It wasn't an update. It was an opinion.

Why do you think it's from a worthy source? It's not that it's negative, although coming from a Vol fan, it is a little annoying. It's just a bunch of nothing.

It's a statement from a regular poster on a Georgia womens message board. Who has "sources". How is this necessarily worthy?

Icebear likes this.
  20. doggydaddy

Mostly it's an issue with unnamed sources from someone that couldn't possibly know.

Jim is ok.

I will admit that I don't like hearing negative rumors. I am, after all, a Uconn fan. And all they do is bring out the doom and gloomers.

Icebear and Fightin Choke like this.
Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex