A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
More and more kids are staying home to help build their state programs into powerhouses. See (Sims/Griner) Baylor. Diggins(Notre Dame). Of course there are exceptions like Maya. Don't you Connecticut fans remember the Center from Hartford who Geno pulled in 91, and As they say, the rest is history...
Yep, she just might select USC. Great choice for the home town girl.

We all know that.

And of course we all remember Lobo. Obviously you don't, since she was from Mass. Not sure what your point is.

Reaction Score
Yep, she just might select USC. Great choice for the home town girl.

We all know that.

And of course we all remember Lobo. Obviously you don't, since she was from Mass. Not sure what your point is.
If you don't understand my point, then I won't try to make you understand. Also, Rebecca played High School Ball in Mass. But was born in Hartford.. That's not me talking that's her BIO.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If you don't understand my point, then I won't try to make you understand. Also, Rebecca played High School Ball in Mass. But was born in Hartford.. That's not me talking that's her BIO.

Unlike Wilson, who is actually still playing HS ball and living in the same state as South Carolina.

I understood your point of mentioning all the players that stayed home. Not sure why you only named one that left home, considering most do. Stewart didn't go to Syracuse. KML didn't go to UCLA. The list goes on and on.

Geno recruits from all over. And I'm sure he feels he has a good shot at Wilson or he would have stopped recruiting her.

Reaction Score
Unlike Wilson, who is actually still playing HS ball and living in the same state as South Carolina.

I understood your point of mentioning all the players that stayed home. Not sure why you only named one that left home, considering most do. Stewart didn't go to Syracuse. KML didn't go to UCLA. The list goes on and on.

Geno recruits from all over. And I'm sure he feels he has a good shot at Wilson or he would have stopped recruiting her.

Stewart didn't go to Syracuse. KML didn't go to UCLA. The list goes on and on.

Same problem South Carolina has had in the past, Syracuse nor UCLA are viable programs. Never said UCONN didn't have a shot, as I know Geno recruits from all over (one can make the argument that is why your program is so successful). Nor, did I want to take over this thread going tit for tat with you. I just wanted state an opinion.

Reaction Score
IMO it comes down to leaving SC or Winning Championships If she wants to stay close to home then she will go to SC. If she wants to make a total commitment to win Championships she will go to UConn. There is no inbetween. UConn won without EDD and UConn will continue to win NCs with or without Wilson. They will have the two best guards in the country if she comes. It doesnt get any better then that.

Yep ...an already great class coming in and possibly four from 2015 (as per Geno).

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
CLE, it's only a few posters on here that have posted things like that and every school has similar fans who are in the minority. Our baseball fans are quite confident online due to our high level of success in that sport and the same is happening in football. If we win multiple national championships in women's basketball, it will happen in regards to that sport, too. Our Equestrian team has been ranked number 1 and has multiple national championships, too, but I don't think we have to worry about an outpouring of arrogance in that sport. ;)

Reaction Score
There are a lot of theories out there. I think A'ja is either going to USC or UCONN. In the end, I think she will play for Dawn Staley at USC because she, and the other recruits coming in next season, can advance the Gamecocks from SEC Champions to National Champions. Additionally, she attended almost every USC home game this season. Why attend so many games if she wasn't planning on playing at USC? Even if A'ja goes elsewhere, Dawn Staley is still going to have a team fully capable of winning national championships in the near future. It's unlikely this season, but with the top 9 players coming back next season plus a top 5 class, 2014-15 will be a special season in Columbia.

As for the theory that A'ja is waiting to announce because she didn't want people in South Carolina attacking her choice? It's a valid theory because I've seen it happen before; mostly in football and men's basketball, though. My opinion on why she waited is that she wanted to make a big splash with her announcement after the rest of the top players have already announced.

I agree - I think she'll choose USC. But regarding your comment of a team being capable of winning national championships in the near future, if UCONN were to get her, barring injuries, USC would have no chance to beat UCONN the next two years unless in 2015 or 2016 USC gets some unreal transcedent player.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I agree - I think she'll choose USC. But regarding your comment of a team being capable of winning national championships in the near future, if UCONN were to get her, barring injuries, USC would have no chance to beat UCONN the next two years unless in 2015 or 2016 USC gets some unreal transcedent player.
You do realize we lose nobody that plays much off of this year's team and have 3 top 40 players already inked for next season, including 2 McDonald's All-Americans. Only 5 players can be on the court at one time. While we would certainly like for A'ja Wilson to be a Gamecock, I think Jatarie White, Bianca Cuevas, Kaydra Duckett and Doniyah Cliney will still be pretty doggone additions to the existing team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wilson will be in Chicago with Cuevas playing in a tournment. Then she will make her decision. That may concern some of you, it doesnt concern me. She played USA BB with our 3 sophs. She knows if she doesnt choose UConn what she is giving up. If she does go elsewhere so be it. I think and I have no knowledge that she will choose to stay home or play with the greatest team in WCBB. UConn offers everything and no other team has that. UConn is not an up and coming team or a team with potential to reach the FF or confernence tourney. Theyve been there and they will continue to be there. IMO they have more kids looking to come to UConn over the next 3 HS classes then any other team in WCBB. So UConn will continue to be there year after year with or without some great players. Dont forget the players we lose out on and UConn is still there year after year. Again Im not concerned. We will be fine and we will maintain to be the team to beat. Just like some other teams who get a great player or two and challenge us but long term we will continue to be the team to beat.

Reaction Score
While I do not follow recruiting other than what can be gleaned from this board, this particular thread was perused this morning for context to thoughts concerning the importance of today's games for a number of teams/programs/coaches. Wins by either South Carolina, North Carolina, Penn State, Tennessee, Maryland, or LSU will be a giant step forward for each and every program as either a resurgence, an emergence, or as choice validation.

I will not offer a prediction as to where Ms Wilson will matriculate, however I will offer a reason as to why she will not matriculate at UConn. Because she will not have a choice; I believe the choice has already been taken away from her. Coach Auriemma never waits for a recruit to make a choice; He certainly does not wait more than a month. Coach Auriemma makes an offer and expects the recruits to have their respective minds made up when the offer is made. My opinion? No, Coach Auriemma's own words:
...I have changed the way we look for players. In the past, we've always given kids the feeling that we'll wait as long as we have to wait. ... My new approach is, "Here's what we have. either you want it or you don't." I equare it this way. You walk into Nordstrom's department store. You're looking for shoes. You see a pair you like. They are the color you want, the perfect size, and the price you want to pay. Are you going to tell me you're going to put them back and look in three other stores for something better? If you are, you're not the kind of person I want. ...So we're taking a proactive approach. this is what we have. this is who we are. Take it or leave it. We're not getting any better after you leave. The facilities won't be better two months from now. Neither will the coaching staff or the players. (From Geno: In Pursuit of Perfection, pages 112-113.)

Intlzncster and Huskyforlife are among those providing responses here very much along my line of thinking.

Reaction Score
Wilson is a make or break player for South Carolina. If she comes or doesn't to UConn will make no difference as to whether or not they continue to get to the Final Four or win championships. To keep things in perspective, it's not like UConn is missing out on Taurasi, and there will be a new #1 best high school player/greatest thing since sliced bread to recruit next year, and the year after that. Until then, we still have Stewie and the best coach in the game. It's like what Geno said to Tina Charles on the Geno Legacy show, where he told her "you were the #1 recruit in the country, the next greatest thing, until the next year when Maya Moore came along."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Were you asking the above bolded, or were you making a declarative statement? Because above this you quote the comment from another board about the reasoning why Wilson delayed her announcement, that it was because she is going somewhere else other than USC, and didn't want to suffer the indignation of a spurned fanbase in her home state. But then if this was true, then how could she still be undecided? If anything, she'd certainly be decided about USC at least, wouldn't you say?

But then you ask the above question: she's still attending USC games, because.."she was still undecided". Perhaps attending USC games will help her make her decision about UConn, UT, or UNC? No, that makes no sense. It would I guess be because she's still undecided about USC? But then why the concern of all the fanbase backlash from USC fans - due to her choosing to go elsewhere - if she hasn't even yet decided that she'll NOT choose USC?

You line of reasoning makes little sense to me...

You say "Carolina" boards...

By this are you referring to NORTH Carolina boards?

If by SOUTH Carolina boards, which ones are you referring to? Cockytalk? The Big Spur? Gamecock Central? Gamecock Anthem? GamecockNation.net? PalmettoStateRivals? Perhaps you're referring to USC-dedicated boards on SEC forums? Oh, then would it be Tigerdroppings? SECTalk? SECFanatics?

I happen to be a poster on ALL of those boards, with over 1,000 posts on all save one. From my involvement on those forums, I would have to say that your "one little factoid" is quite empty of fact. Perhaps you could enlighten me....

The quote that Doggydaddy referred to - and then that you quoted - comes from Collegefansonly.net. It was posted by a non-USC fan. The thread it's in is made up mostly of UConn and UT fans.

Actually it's funny. The quote implies the reason Wilson has delayed her choice is to avoid potential negativity from USC fans that are resentful for her choosing a school other than USC. But you know the most bitter and negative comments I've read about her, where they originate from?

It's here on The Boneyard, and 99.999% posted by UConn posters. They imply that WIlson is an egocentric, spoiled, doesn't want the best education for herself, doesn't want the best coaching, only wants to choose and dictate how and where she plays (what position). I haven't seen ANYTHING like this on any of the USC boards, and only a smidgeon of it on the lone UT board I visit (VolNation - and that actually comes from a couple of UConn posters in the Aja Wilson thread there, go figure).

Did you guys realize that? Do you even read some of what you post here? I know more posters than otherwise dispute those implications and try to set the few negative posters straight, but still. It strikes me as a bit ironic....

I really don't get the thrust(s) of this. Which Carolina board? Cannot remember but think North C. Was and is all over VolNation. I did not quote anything in my post. I do not see the "factoid" as a negative comment at all about the recruit. Gave you an opportunity to vent about this board I guess. Personally I see these A'ja threads as a waste of words.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Reaction Score
No, you apparently will say that. Speak for yourself, Bubba.
I guess you don't follow UCONN basketball. That's exactly how we rationalize it. What has been the reaction to Diamond Deshields? How could she pick Duke? She must not be up to the challenge of playing for UCONN with all of the expectations.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I guess you don't follow UCONN basketball. That's exactly how we rationalize it. What has been the reaction to Diamond Deshields? How could she pick Duke? She must not be up to the challenge of playing for UCONN with all of the expectations.

"we" ?
Geez, I am out of the in group again.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

I get your point but DeShields picked UNC.

Reaction Score
You do realize we lose nobody that plays much off of this year's team and have 3 top 40 players already inked for next season, including 2 McDonald's All-Americans. Only 5 players can be on the court at one time. While we would certainly like for A'ja Wilson to be a Gamecock, I think Jatarie White, Bianca Cuevas, Kaydra Duckett and Doniyah Cliney will still be pretty doggone additions to the existing team.

Just to reiterate- I believe Wilson is going to USC. With that said in direct reply to this specific post of yours-

You do realize in the next two years UCONN will have the best player on the court with Stewart, right? You do realize that Jefferson will still be playing the next two years so we'll have the best pg on the court, right? You do realize next year we'll have KML back, right? You do realize a healthy Morgan Tuck has already proven to be a terrific player, right? And Aja is projected to be better than your other recruits, right?

You can bring back whoever you want - next year barring injuries we are superior to your team in the frontcourt, backcourt and the wing if you don't have Wilson. When KML leaves- with one year of A'ja already complete - she'll make us superior in the frontcourt plus we'll still have Jefferson at pg. To counter this- are you saying that by tourney time of Wilson's sophomore year, you don't exepct her to be at least the 2nd best player on your team? And the best player in Stewie and the best pg in Jefferson are going to make the game easier for Wilson and Tuck. This (UCONN) isn't Baylor when you have the other 3 players so limited. I'm sure your top player(s) make others better but there is a reason why Stewie is best and why Jefferson will be a 1st team a/a starting next year and KML os so darn great. So my money is on the supreme players getting "more" from their teammates in the one-chance big game.

Quantity of players doesn't supercede the supreme best players unless there is some sort of matchup issue . Stewie hopefully will shine again as an unerclassman this year-maybe she won't- but as she becomes an upperclassman, she is projected to be best ever at UCONN. Even if not by some- she is projected right up there with DT and Maya even if we lose in the finals this year. You have any current players on your team projected to be at the DT/Maya level? It's kind of hard to believe if Stewie has a player like Wilson along with Tuck and Jefferson (and KML for next year) that we'll get picked off in tourney by anyone other than maybe ND (NOTE: I said "if we have Wilson and I am also bringing in the caveat of "if" healthy). If you are among the best ever, and have very talented players as teammates, you make them better and they make you better. While your players- and specifically the team --are very good, they aren't near all-time great like UCONN and ND (I believe ND will be great too with their super-recruit coming in next year but could be wrong about them though I doubt I'm wrong.). IMO they are the type of team (ND) if we play them enough they'll beat us and vice-versa which is why I'd never predict "undefeated" in this case. Your team just won't be super if you don't get Wilson or get some transecendent other player. While you don't need her to be very good. You need her to be great. There lies the difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I do not follow recruiting other than what can be gleaned from this board, this particular thread was perused this morning for context to thoughts concerning the importance of today's games for a number of teams/programs/coaches. Wins by either South Carolina, North Carolina, Penn State, Tennessee, Maryland, or LSU will be a giant step forward for each and every program as either a resurgence, an emergence, or as choice validation.

I will not offer a prediction as to where Ms Wilson will matriculate, however I will offer a reason as to why she will not matriculate at UConn. Because she will not have a choice; I believe the choice has already been taken away from her. Coach Auriemma never waits for a recruit to make a choice; He certainly does not wait more than a month. Coach Auriemma makes an offer and expects the recruits to have their respective minds made up when the offer is made. My opinion? No, Coach Auriemma's own words:
...I have changed the way we look for players. In the past, we've always given kids the feeling that we'll wait as long as we have to wait. ... My new approach is, "Here's what we have. either you want it or you don't." I equare it this way. You walk into Nordstrom's department store. You're looking for shoes. You see a pair you like. They are the color you want, the perfect size, and the price you want to pay. Are you going to tell me you're going to put them back and look in three other stores for something better? If you are, you're not the kind of person I want. ...So we're taking a proactive approach. this is what we have. this is who we are. Take it or leave it. We're not getting any better after you leave. The facilities won't be better two months from now. Neither will the coaching staff or the players. (From Geno: In Pursuit of Perfection, pages 112-113.)

Intlzncster and Huskyforlife are among those providing responses here very much along my line of thinking.

I don't agree with this at all. I agree with most of your posts but not this one. Didn't Maya wait until April? Geno sometimes goes over-the-top with statements.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. I agree with most of your posts but not this one. Didn't Maya wait until April? Geno sometimes goes over-the-top with statements.

Of her Junior year though, no?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You're right. Still.

You think Geno is that hard-line? I don't.

Not that hard line necessarily. But I do think he's right that kids who really want to go to UCONN generally commit early. It doesn't go in our favor otherwise, whether that's in a kid not buying in as much (EDD) or not coming at all.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno knows who's coming and who's not. With all the coaches attending Wilsons game and UConn couldnt because of I think the Lville game Im not concerned. Believe me Geno already knows.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Keys forget about Aja and focus on the rest of our current run!!!! She comes great! She doesn't- we'll let Geno, the staff and our girls figure out how to beat her for four years! We have great 2014 recruits and great 2015 prospects!!!! Let's win the NC and rejoice or worry about Aja after the 16th! Go Huskies!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Just to reiterate- I believe Wilson is going to USC. With that said in direct reply to this specific post of yours-

You do realize in the next two years UCONN will have the best player on the court with Stewart, right? You do realize that Jefferson will still be playing the next two years so we'll have the best pg on the court, right? You do realize next year we'll have KML back, right? You do realize a healthy Morgan Tuck has already proven to be a terrific player, right? And Aja is projected to be better than your other recruits, right?

You can bring back whoever you want - next year barring injuries we are superior to your team in the frontcourt, backcourt and the wing if you don't have Wilson. When KML leaves- with one year of A'ja already complete - she'll make us superior in the frontcourt plus we'll still have Jefferson at pg. To counter this- are you saying that by tourney time of Wilson's sophomore year, you don't exepct her to be at least the 2nd best player on your team? And the best player in Stewie and the best pg in Jefferson are going to make the game easier for Wilson and Tuck. This (UCONN) isn't Baylor when you have the other 3 players so limited. I'm sure your top player(s) make others better but there is a reason why Stewie is best and why Jefferson will be a 1st team a/a starting next year and KML os so darn great. So my money is on the supreme players getting "more" from their teammates in the one-chance big game.

Quantity of players doesn't supercede the supreme best players unless there is some sort of matchup issue . Stewie hopefully will shine again as an unerclassman this year-maybe she won't- but as she becomes an upperclassman, she is projected to be best ever at UCONN. Even if not by some- she is projected right up there with DT and Maya even if we lose in the finals this year. You have any current players on your team projected to be at the DT/Maya level? It's kind of hard to believe if Stewie has a player like Wilson along with Tuck and Jefferson (and KML for next year) that we'll get picked off in tourney by anyone other than maybe ND (NOTE: I said "if we have Wilson and I am also bringing in the caveat of "if" healthy). If you are among the best ever, and have very talented players as teammates, you make them better and they make you better. While your players- and specifically the team --are very good, they aren't near all-time great like UCONN and ND (I believe ND will be great too with their super-recruit coming in next year but could be wrong about them though I doubt I'm wrong.). IMO they are the type of team (ND) if we play them enough they'll beat us and vice-versa which is why I'd never predict "undefeated" in this case. Your team just won't be super if you don't get Wilson or get some transecendent other player. While you don't need her to be very good. You need her to be great. There lies the difference.
The Gamecocks and the Huskies play each of the next 2 years in a home and home series, so I guess we'll find out on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom