A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
True, but she's actually played with some of our kids and loved it.
Yes I'm sure the friendships will play a part in her decision.

Reaction Score
You have it all figured out, don't you.

Why would staying home mean her education is not a priority? None of the remaining schools are Duke or Stanford.

Did Sue Bird not have academics as a priority?

You are not in this young ladies head. Stop posting like you are.
Academics aren't her top priority. You even said so by stating that "none of the remaining schools are Duke or Stanford." If your top priority is education, there are about 50 schools better than UConn, and more than 100 better than South Carolina where her top flight basketball skills would certainly land her a full ride to one of the top institutions on the planet. Places like Duke, Stanford, and ND offer a kid one of the best educations you can possibly get combined with competitive basketball. South Carolina is a pretty state, but no one has ever said South Carolina and "top school" in the same sentence. Same goes for Tennessee. It's a trade off. Do you want more basketball or more education? That's for the recruit to decide. If you're trying to set yourself up for the best possible future, and you have the kind of door-opening talent and potential she supposedly has, the decision really isn't that hard. Hopefully her parents are smart and kick her out. Everyone has to leave the nest eventually, and some kids need more prodding than others. Turning down a top education AND the top basketball WCBB program? If that comes to fruition, that says all I need to know about her priorities. Obviously this is all speculation and we'll know soon enough. Either way UConn WCBB will be fine as Geno has said many times that most of the best players go to other schools (and, of course, get to watch the school they rejected cut down the nets).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Academics aren't her top priority. You even said so by stating that "none of the remaining schools are Duke or Stanford." If your top priority is education, there are about 50 schools better than UConn, and more than 100 better than South Carolina where her top flight basketball skills would certainly land her a full ride to one of the top institutions on the planet. Places like Duke, Stanford, and ND offer a kid one of the best educations you can possibly get combined with competitive basketball. South Carolina is a pretty state, but no one has ever said South Carolina and "top school" in the same sentence. Same goes for Tennessee. It's a trade off. Do you want more basketball or more education? That's for the recruit to decide. If you're trying to set yourself up for the best possible future, and you have the kind of door-opening talent and potential she supposedly has, the decision really isn't that hard. Hopefully her parents are smart and kick her out. Everyone has to leave the nest eventually, and some kids need more prodding than others. Turning down a top education AND the top basketball WCBB program? If that comes to fruition, that says all I need to know about her priorities. Obviously this is all speculation and we'll know soon enough. Either way UConn WCBB will be fine as Geno has said many times that most of the best players go to other schools (and, of course, get to watch the school they rejected cut down the nets).
So, all the kids that picked schools with a lower education profile didn't make academics their priority.

Got it. Dumb kids.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
With her size and talents, and bar injury, she will be assured of becoming a millionaire not too long after graduation, whichever school she chooses to attend. I doubt seriously that minor differences in academic prestige are weighing heavily in her calculations. She will go where she feels that she will be comfortable and have a good time in her four years as a college player. If she wants to be part of a proven winning machine and learn from a coach with a proven record of developing players' natural talents, that will favor UConn. If she sees herself as more of a "giant killer", or if she feels that she will be more comfortable playing for a female coach AND wants to be closer to home where her friends and relatives will find it easier to see her play, that will favor SC. Either way, she will be ok and the Huskies will be ok. If she does choose UConn, that will pretty much guarantee at least three more NCs, imo. Whether that would be a good or a bad thing, looking at the big picture, I am really not sure.

Reaction Score
Seems that if A'ja was going to SC she could have announced that long ago....everyone at home would have been thrilled. So while I don't know where she is going I'm not going to be at all surprised if it IS out of state. If I'm correct, hope it is to the land of longer winters........

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She's got her three choices active in the tourney.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
So, all the kids that picked schools with a lower education profile didn't make academics their priority.

Got it. Dumb kids.

I don't know... I got "dumb" but my noun was a different one.

Reaction Score
It really is a choice between 2 schools, UCONN or So. Car.! 3 months ago it was stay close to home and go to So Car. or go where your BB skills will be advanced in a program that will prepare you for whatever BB you want! Now with So. Car. winning the SEC regular season title and becoming a #1 seed, she can have her cake and eat it too! So. Car. is an up and coming program with great talent returning! My bet is she chooses to stay home & win! SEC regular season & tournament + elite 8 & possible final 4's!

Reaction Score
If it is SC why didn't she declare months ago and reap the local adoration that would have followed? If you check her twitter she always re-tweets a comment from a UCONN fan or local Sportswriter like Jim Fuller. She had a comment about Mo and Steph the other night( "Mo and Steph on a pick and roll" [3/25]). She does not do this as much with her other three finalists. Maybe its to throw the reader off, but maybe not.

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I just hope she won't do the four shirts gimmick, peeling them off one by one, with the real one on last. That would be even worse than some of the threads...

Reaction Score
If it is SC why didn't she declare months ago and reap the local adoration that would have followed? If you check her twitter she always re-tweets a comment from a UCONN fan or local Sportswriter like Jim Fuller. She had a comment about Mo and Steph the other night( "Mo and Steph on a pick and roll" [3/25]). She does not do this as much with her other three finalists. Maybe its to throw the reader off, but maybe not.

She retweets everybody. If you are looking at her twitter account for clues you are looking in the wrong place.

Reaction Score
It'll be South Carolina, let's stop kidding ourselves
I think she is going to South Carolina as well, but the school chosen by a young girl from Georgia a few years ago, that surprised everyone, sticks in my mind. It was so surprising that an opposing coach who thought she had her in the bag, cried recruiting foul.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think she is going to South Carolina as well, but the school chosen by a young girl from Georgia a few years ago, that surprised everyone, sticks in my mind. It was so surprising that an opposing coach who thought she had her in the bag, cried recruiting foul.
I just think she would be here already, She'll honer her grandfather by staying home

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well April 16th is my birthday guess what I want for my Birthday????
Mine's the week before. I think I know what I'm getting for my birthday, right Tony?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
True enough...let's just hope Geno didn't take A'ja to Bristol. Though now that you mention it, imagine the level of whining and complaining outside Huskyland if she comes to Storrs. It will be epic.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
True enough...let's just hope Geno didn't take A'ja to Bristol. Though now that you mention it, imagine the level of whining and complaining outside Huskyland if she comes to Storrs. It will be epic.

I doubt that anyone is going to whine...it's not like it would be unexpected for UCONN to land the number 1 recruit in the nation. We would all just say "again?" and move along like we do every other year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I doubt that anyone is going to whine...it's not like it would be unexpected for UCONN to land the number 1 recruit in the nation. We would all just say "again?" and move along like we do every other year.
Bull. Even you don't believe it.

Whining would be epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member