Adama Sanogo Sophomore Stats | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo Sophomore Stats

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He's a power forward playing the post.He's not a wing you won't see him shooting the long ball that's not what hurly wants.folks are saying he doesn't show enough shooting skills,that's not his job atm.
He’s not a power forward in today’s game, almost every team is now playing 4 out, he’s an undersized center.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
J.randall plays power forward
J Randall has completely changed his game and is taking guys off the bounce on the perimeter. I don’t foresee Sanogo developing that type of skill set.

Reaction Score
I can read just fine, I just disagree.

Despite apparently having "never acquired Sanogo's footwook or low post moves", Okafor averaged more points on greater efficiency than Sanogo when both were sophomores. Okafor didn't just dunk the ball, but somehow shot 4% better than Sanogo. Also, offense involves rebounding, and he rebounded more offensive misses than Sanogo did...

So, I think it is at least debatable that Sanogo was a better offensive player, and, even if Okafor wasn't an amazing defender, I'd take him on the offensive side over Sanogo, in part because he was more efficient and in part because he achieved that offensive efficiency against better teams and in higher stakes.
Here ya go, scouting report on Emeka before the NBA draft:
Weaknesses: Okafor will never be mistaken for an offensive-minded post player. His footwork is lacking, he can't create high-percentage post-up opportunities, and he most certainly can't step out and knock down jump shots. Basically, his only offensive value comes when he scores off of putbacks and other garbage chances around the basket. Of course, that's a small price to pay if you're Charlotte (or whoever he plays for next season), given Okafor's great defense and rebounding.
Favorite shot: Putback after an offensive rebound.

Sanogo is a better offensive player than Emeka was. Nobody would say Sanogo lacks footwork down low, or lacks moves. Emeka was simply a beast down low physically, like a Kofi Cockburn. He would physically overwhelm opponents. Did you see Emeka play at UConn? Or are you just looking at stats. No way Emeka had anywhere near Sanogo’s game offensively.

Reaction Score
He's a power forward playing the post.He's not a wing you won't see him shooting the long ball that's not what hurly wants.folks are saying he doesn't show enough shooting skills,that's not his job atm.
You're entirely missing the point. To be a power forward in the modern NBA you need to be able to stretch the floor with perimeter shooting or at the very least be able to defend the perimeter against the other 4's who do. The 4 in the NBA these days is a wing

Reaction Score
Grant Williams plays PF.
Grant Williams had a PG-level assist rate and decent handle while being able to face up and drive, shoot 3s and guard 2-5 while playing the 4/5 at Tennessee. Their games aren't similar AT ALL, only their bodies, and even then Grant is smaller (6'5.75 without shoes).

Sanogo's optimistic comp is probably Bam Adebayo, who played center in both college and NBA. But Bam is probably an inch taller with a similar wingspan, and also probably at least one st dev better athlete.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People have this weird belief that centers are bigger than they've ever been when overall they're smaller than they've been in a very long time. Shortest they've been in 40 years and weigh less than they did 20 years ago. You have your monsters Jokic and Embiid who are all-time greats and of course there's other huge guys still but there's a whole bunch of guys Sanogo's size or smaller playing center in today's game. Adebayo is one of the best center's in the league on one of the best teams in the league and when he's not playing 6'5 PJ Tucker is their center.

If Sanogo doesn't make the league it will be because he never developed a reliable outside shot, never showed he could knock down threes, and struggles passing and defensively...it won't be because of his size.

I have no worries about his defense after how good he's already gotten defensively and he's already gone from a guy who couldn't/wouldn't ever pass earlier in the season to a guy who is making some good/reads passes now. His work ethic and rapid improvement rate is second to none. I would be surprised if he doesn't make it.

Reaction Score
Grant williams is a career .365 from deep.sonogo is not covering wings because that's not his job atm.When he gets to NBA next year he will be a power forward or small ball center

Reaction Score
People have this weird belief that centers are bigger than they've ever been when overall they're smaller than they've been in a very long time. Shortest they've been in 40 years and weigh less than they did 20 years ago. You have your monsters Jokic and Embiid who are all-time greats and of course there's other huge guys still but there's a whole bunch of guys Sanogo's size or smaller playing center in today's game. Adebayo is one of the best center's in the league on one of the best teams in the league and when he's not playing 6'5 PJ Tucker is their center.

If Sanogo doesn't make the league it will be because he never developed a reliable outside shot, never showed he could knock down threes, and struggles passing and defensively...it won't be because of his size.

I have no worries about his defense after how good he's already gotten defensively and he's already gone from a guy who couldn't/wouldn't ever pass earlier in the season to a guy who is making some good/reads passes now. His work ethic and rapid improvement rate is second to none. I would be surprised if he doesn't make it.
You keep repeating this over and over again and nobody is arguing that, nobody is saying centers are bigger now in the NBA. Yes centers are smaller than they were 10 years ago, and Sanogo is still undersized compared to them. Nobody is saying it's going to keep him out of the NBA, it's just a factor that he'll have to overcome when he makes it.

People (and not just you) keep throwing out all these absurd comps like PJ Tucker and Grant Williams who have wildly different skillsets than Sanogo. I feel like I'm living in a different universe reading this thread, I don't think half the people talking have watched an NBA game in 20 years

Reaction Score
Grant williams is a career .365 from deep.sonogo is not covering wings because that's not his job atm.When he gets to NBA next year he will be a power forward or small ball center

Are you trying to prove us right? Yeah, Grant williams can shoot and Sanogo can't. 36.5% from deep is a solid shooter, though not great. That's one of the reasons why Sanogo will be a center exclusively--he doesn't have a semblance of a shot. Even his FTs and mid-range shots are pretty ugly TBH.

Why do you guys keep gifting Sanogo a skillset he doesn't have? You wanna know why Sanogo's job isn't to defend the perimeter? Beacause he's bad at it.

The kid is an absolutely monster on defense and offense in the post. The best in the Big East, and easily top-5 in the country for bigs IMO. That is more than enough for him to be successful (as a center) at whatever level of basketball he makes it to. When you starting saying he has skills that he doesn't, you're distracting from the talents he DOES have like they don't matter.

Reaction Score
You keep repeating this over and over again and nobody is arguing that, nobody is saying centers are bigger now in the NBA. Yes centers are smaller than they were 10 years ago, and Sanogo is still undersized compared to them. Nobody is saying it's going to keep him out of the NBA, it's just a factor that he'll have to overcome when he makes it.

People (and not just you) keep throwing out all these absurd comps like PJ Tucker and Grant Williams who have wildly different skillsets than Sanogo. I feel like I'm living in a different universe reading this thread, I don't think half the people talking have watched an NBA game in 20 years
What are you talking about? Sanogo's size is constantly brought up here in regards to him being a big man in the NBA. I didn't compare Sanogo to PJ Tucker or Grant Williams.

I pointed out the things that would keep Sanogo out of the league if he didn't improve on those things and show he is capable of doing those things. His size won't be an issue or a factor he has to overcome.

Guarantee I watch more NBA than you.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Sanogo's size is constantly brought up here in regards to him being a big man in the NBA. I didn't compare Sanogo to PJ Tucker or Grant Williams.

I pointed out the things that would keep Sanogo out of the league if he didn't improve on those things and show he is capable of doing those things. His size won't be an issue or a factor he has to overcome.

Yes Sanogo's size is always brought up but that wasn't my comment, re-read the post. I said nobody is arguing that the size of NBA centers is decreasing. But the average height of NBA centers is still a shade under 6'11, so Sanogo is still undersized despite that. It's not going to keep him out of the NBA, it's just something he'll have to overcome. Your Bam comp was a good one

And you literally just brought up PJ Tucker in the post I responded to as the guy who plays backup center for the Heat. HuskyHawk brought up Grant Williams a few posts ago and other people have as well

The NBA comment was not directed at you, it was at all the people saying he's going to be a PF in the NBA

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Grant Williams had a PG-level assist rate and decent handle while being able to face up and drive, shoot 3s and guard 2-5 while playing the 4/5 at Tennessee. Their games aren't similar AT ALL, only their bodies, and even then Grant is smaller (6'5.75 without shoes).

Sanogo's optimistic comp is probably Bam Adebayo, who played center in both college and NBA. But Bam is probably an inch taller with a similar wingspan, and also probably at least one st dev better athlete.

As for Bam, yes, he's more athletic for sure. Doesn't begin to have Sanogo's back to the basket skills. I don't think anybody here is saying that Sanogo is an NBA 5 or 4 right now. What I've tried to say is that he hasn't played basketball all that long. He lost 40+ pounds in one summer before freshman year. At his prior size, he was a space eater. He's far more agile now, but has had limited time to develop his ball handling, outside shooting and passing. The passing is coming along now. His midrange jumper looks good....he has a nice stroke. In the few instances where he has put it on the floor facing the basket, he has looked good. So I have little doubt that he can become good at those things. His shot blocking and interior D are much improved. His rebounding is improved. Yes, it is on him to develop those skills. I see no indication that he can't.

Reaction Score
Yes Sanogo's size is always brought up but that wasn't my comment, re-read the post. I said nobody is arguing that the size of NBA centers is decreasing. But the average height of NBA centers is still a shade under 6'11, so Sanogo is still undersized despite that. It's not going to keep him out of the NBA, it's just something he'll have to overcome. Your Bam comp was a good one

And you literally just brought up PJ Tucker in the post I responded to as the guy who plays backup center for the Heat. HuskyHawk brought up Grant Williams a few posts ago and other people have as well

The NBA comment was not directed at you, it was at all the people saying he's going to be a PF in the NBA
Again, I wasn't comparing Sanogo to Bam or PJ Tucker, I was pointing out they are small guys for posts. Those guys wouldn't have played center in the past, neither would the other 6'6-6'8 guys that do now.

Sanogo faced 2 guys who are taller than him. Two of the best shotblockers in the country in Kessler and Bingham and he ate their lunch. Sanogo will need to develop his outside shot and prove he can make some threes but the guy is going to be able to score in the post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My two cents. AS is listed at 6'9"-- Probably is shorter.. At the next level-- Its about the skill set that you've developed at the CBB level and the roster construction of the NBA team that drafts you and their needs.

My next comment is about size only-Not about player comp re: skill set. Draymond Green plays PF/C for Golden St and is listed at 6'6".. He is surrounded by players that compliment his skill set and allow him to do his thing within the framework of that team and how its put together.

No question AS can succeed at the next level on the right team/roster and with his continued ascension in improving his game. His work ethic to improve and succeed is impressive.

Reaction Score

I fully believe Sanogo will play in the NBA. Just gonna post NBA starting center heights/weights for reference so we can stop this catfight and get the actual #s. This is some preseason list of the top starting centers in the league from 1-30.

Sanogo: 6'9 240lbs
Average: 6'10 250lbs

Jokic: 6'11 284lbs
Embiid: 7'0 280lbs
KAT: 6'11 250lbs
Gobert: 7'1 245
Adebayo: 6'9 255lbs
Vucevic: 7'0 260lbs
Ayton: 6'11 250lbs
Capela: 6'10 255lbs
Turner: 6'11 250lbs
Nurkic: 7'0 290lbs
Valanciunas: 7'0 265lbs
Wood: 6'10 230lbs
Allen: 6'11 243lbs
Lopez: 7'0 280lbs
Holmes: 6'10 235lbs
Zubac: 7'0 240lbs 912
Robinson: 7'0 240lbs
Rob Williams: 6'8 240lbs (199)
Adams: 6'11 250lbs
Poetl: 6'11 230lbs
Griffin: 6'9 250lbs
Carter: 6'11 270lbs
Stewart: 6'8 250lbs
Plumlee: 6'11 240lbs
Kleber: 6'10 240lbs
Looney: 6'9 222lbs
Bryant: 6'10 250lbs
Howard: 6'10 265
Roby: 6'8 230lbs

I think it's apparent that Sanogo's height could present a barrier to him become a top center in the league. All of those top-15 guys are at least 2 inches taller than him. And those that aren't (Capela and Bam) are on another tier of athleticism. Same with guys like Griffin, Rob Williams. I don't enough about Isaiah Stewart or Roby to really say their athleticism levels.

The lower-tier centers are smaller in general. I could easily see Sanogo carving out a role as a long-term rotation big, or as a mid- or lower-tier center in the league for a decade if he has a couple of big developmental summers and stays on his trajectory of improvement.

Developing a 3 point shot would obviously change all of this.

Reaction Score
The announcers have been saying “Sanogo is most improved”. They say this in a context of he wasn’t all that great last year. I don’t know what kind of research they’re doing. It’s annoying. I think he did well last year and continues to be on a great trajectory.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I mean, I'm not ready to go there. Emeka was more efficient—and a better offensive rebounder—against better competition while averaging about the same as Sanogo.

People forget just how how good Okafor was. Sanogo has better footwork, but that's not all there is to being a great offensive player.

Emeka was always very mechanical while Sanogo can look very smooth. But I agree with everything you wrote.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Here ya go, scouting report on Emeka before the NBA draft:
Weaknesses: Okafor will never be mistaken for an offensive-minded post player. His footwork is lacking, he can't create high-percentage post-up opportunities, and he most certainly can't step out and knock down jump shots. Basically, his only offensive value comes when he scores off of putbacks and other garbage chances around the basket. Of course, that's a small price to pay if you're Charlotte (or whoever he plays for next season), given Okafor's great defense and rebounding.
Favorite shot: Putback after an offensive rebound.

Sanogo is a better offensive player than Emeka was. Nobody would say Sanogo lacks footwork down low, or lacks moves. Emeka was simply a beast down low physically, like a Kofi Cockburn. He would physically overwhelm opponents. Did you see Emeka play at UConn? Or are you just looking at stats. No way Emeka had anywhere near Sanogo’s game offensively.

I'm pretttttttttttttttttttty sure he saw Emeka play at UConn

Reaction Score
The announcers have been saying “Sanogo is most improved”. They say this in a context of he wasn’t all that great last year. I don’t know what kind of research they’re doing. It’s annoying. I think he did well last year and continues to be on a great trajectory.

"Most improved" means he's significantly better than last year, which he is

Reaction Score
He was a "grown ass man" compared to the kids in college. In more ways than one and it showed on the court.

As for Adama, love his progress. Not sure what his future is in this game, but I certainly would no bet against him developing his skills in ways that make him an NBA player. When that happens probably impacts how long he is at UConn.
If Adama comes back next season, is it too high an expectation for him to be considered a Player of the Year candidate?

Reaction Score
He was a "grown ass man" compared to the kids in college. In more ways than one and it showed on the court.

As for Adama, love his progress. Not sure what his future is in this game, but I certainly would no bet against him developing his skills in ways that make him an NBA player. When that happens probably impacts how long he is at UConn.
I would not at all bet against him developing the skills he needs to be a legit NBA 4 (in a big lineup) or 5 (in a small one), but he's not there now and will not be drafted this year. Maybe next year if he makes a leap in that area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom