Adama Sanogo Sophomore Stats | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo Sophomore Stats

Reaction Score
Offensively the best low post player I've ever seen at UConn. Including Emeka.
I mean, I'm not ready to go there. Emeka was more efficient—and a better offensive rebounder—against better competition while averaging about the same as Sanogo.

People forget just how how good Okafor was. Sanogo has better footwork, but that's not all there is to being a great offensive player.

Reaction Score
I mean, I'm not ready to go there. Emeka was more efficient—and a better offensive rebounder—against better competition while averaging about the same as Sanogo.

People forget just how how good Okafor was. Sanogo has better footwork, but that's not all there is to being a great offensive player.
I said he was the better low post player offensively. IMO Emeka had a much greater impact overall. Even as a freshman. Even if Sanogo stayed 4 years. Emeka was too much of a problem physically, rebounding, and blocking shots. He would start on this team over Sanogo. Even as a frosh.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sanogo is NOT undersized for an NBA power forward. He's 6'9, 240, with 7-2 wingspan. In 2021, the average height of an NBA PF was 6'8.3". Sorry if using facts confuses anyone. You can check here. Average NBA Height by Year and Position

BTW, 240 pounds is NOT under sized for NBA power forwards either.
He’s not a power forward though…

Reaction Score
I said he was the better low post player offensively. IMO Emeka had a much greater impact overall. Even as a freshman. Even if Sanogo stayed 4 years. Emeka was too much of a problem physically, rebounding, and blocking shots. He would start on this team over Sanogo. Even as a frosh.
Right. I took your point but disagreed—though I agree sophomore Okafor would start over sophomore Sanogo, as you say here.

In part, that's because I also think offensively Okafor was as good—and probably better—than Sanogo. He averaged more points on greater efficiency against better competition while pulling down more offensive rebounds. It's debatable, but I think the efficiency and competition level matters.

Reaction Score
Right. I took your point but disagreed—though I agree sophomore Okafor would start over sophomore Sanogo, as you say here.

In part, that's because I also think offensively Okafor was as good—and probably better—than Sanogo. He averaged more points on greater efficiency against better competition while pulling down more offensive rebounds. It's debatable, but I think the efficiency and competition level matters.
I meant freshman Okafor would start over sophomore Sanogo. Okafor never acquired Sanogo's footwork or low post moves. Even at the NBA level. Okafor was always a dominant rebounder. I mean among conference leaders, even as a frosh. Defensively he was a serious problem for other teams. The most defensive impact of any UConn player. See how different they are?

Reaction Score
Sanogo is NOT undersized for an NBA power forward. He's 6'9, 240, with 7-2 wingspan. In 2021, the average height of an NBA PF was 6'8.3". Sorry if using facts confuses anyone. You can check here. Average NBA Height by Year and Position

It's true he's not undersized for a power forward. But he doesn't have the game or athleticism of a power forward, he has the game of a center. So for that he is undersized.

Reaction Score
It's true he's not undersized for a power forward. But he doesn't have the game or athleticism of a power forward, he has the game of a center. So for that he is undersized.
No. He has the game of a 1990s NBA center like Jahlil Okafor. Yeah. Okafor's in the NBA. He plays about 13 minutes a game while shooting 62% from the field. Jahlil and Sanogo have similar styles of play at the college level.

Reaction Score
I meant freshman Okafor would start over sophomore Sanogo. Okafor never acquired Sanogo's footwork or low post moves. Even at the NBA level. Okafor was always a dominant rebounder. I mean among conference leaders, even as a frosh. Defensively he was a serious problem for other teams. The most defensive impact of any UConn player. See how different they are?
I can read just fine, I just disagree.

Despite apparently having "never acquired Sanogo's footwook or low post moves", Okafor averaged more points on greater efficiency than Sanogo when both were sophomores. Okafor didn't just dunk the ball, but somehow shot 4% better than Sanogo. Also, offense involves rebounding, and he rebounded more offensive misses than Sanogo did...

So, I think it is at least debatable that Sanogo was a better offensive player, and, even if Okafor wasn't an amazing defender, I'd take him on the offensive side over Sanogo, in part because he was more efficient and in part because he achieved that offensive efficiency against better teams and in higher stakes.

Reaction Score
No sign of Sanogo (or any Big East player outside of Justin Lewis) in Givony’s latest mock (today).
NBA Draft Room has Sanogo going 20th in the 2023 draft.

2023 NBA Mock Draft - NBA Draft Room

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be surprised if he tests the water. But ultimately you’re right. The feedback he’ll get is obvious. Extend your range, lean up, increase mobility and athleticism. I think he returns and he’s a national player of the year candidate for us next year. 4th year is a question mark at this point.
Agreed but not sure how much more Adama can lean up, he's in great shape.

Reaction Score

Let me put it differently. Set position labels aside.

He's either under-sized for his skill (pure post players are pretty much just 7' tanks these days) or he's under-skilled for his size (even 6'9 guys need to shoot 3's).

Reaction Score

He's either under-sized for his skill (pure post players are pretty much just 7' tanks these days) or he's under-skilled for his size (even 6'9 guys need to shoot 3's).
Pure post players are smaller than they've ever been in the last 40 years. Every position in the NBA is the smallest it's been in 40 years except for point guards who are the biggest they've ever been.

Reaction Score
He has to be one of the toughest players to prepare for. We get mad because our guys aren’t perfect but I’m sure every team goes into the game wondering how to possibly stop us.
Pack in on Adama and hope the others miss their 3’s.

Reaction Score

I think you are selling Sanogo way short. How many other 6'9" guys are out there that can make a steal and take it himself for a breakaway dunk? Sanogo has done that several times this season. He is far more athletic and agile then you make him seem. Plus, he has a great, soft touch on his shot. Extending his shooting range shouldn't be tough for a guy with his shooting touch and work ethic.

Reaction Score
people on this site need to understand the type of players that play power forward in the nba in 2022. it's arguably the most skilled position in the nba -- lebron james, kevin durant, paul george, giannis antetokounmpo, and jayson tatum all play power forward and are all as tall or taller than sanogo. a guy who would play small forward ten years ago (or even shooting guard!) is the prototypical four today. the chicago bulls might make the nba finals this year with demar derozan playing power forward.

if sanogo finds a niche in the nba, it will be as an undersized 5 ala isaiah stewart (lottery pick) or xavier tillman (high second rounder)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Man I forgot how dirty Caron was.

He was a "grown ass man" compared to the kids in college. In more ways than one and it showed on the court.

As for Adama, love his progress. Not sure what his future is in this game, but I certainly would no bet against him developing his skills in ways that make him an NBA player. When that happens probably impacts how long he is at UConn.

Reaction Score

On what planet would Sanogo play PF in the NBA? It's like some of you don't even watch sportscenter highlights. Good grief.

Reaction Score
Lol. I, too, love context free stats from a random website.

But...um, even if I totally bought this, these are the "best forwards in the game" according to this site which was updated in this past November (lol) are:

View attachment 72736

and all those players are very different than Sanogo. You can tell you don't watch the NBA because you don't know how.

No one in the NBA compares to Giannis. But that list actually supports my point that Sanogo isn't undersized. The difference is those are guys with great outside shots.

There are a lot of guys playing forward who are similar in size to Sanogo. Some, like Al Horford (6-9, 240), even play center. Speaking of Horford, in his college career at Florida he attempted 4 three point shots. It wasn't until his 7th year in the NBA that he attempted double digit three point shots. Read that sentence again.

I don't know how folks can watch Sanogo, his hands, his footwork, his motor, his effectiveness inside and not see his NBA potential. Especially given the upward trajectory that he is currently on. But in the words of that immortal philosopher Patrick Swayze, "Opinions vary."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It's true that most smaller 5s can step out and hit 3s. But he's not that differently sized than someone like Al Horford, who didn't shoot 3s until several years into his NBA career. Daniel Theis plays center at 6'8". Draymond Green. Lots of guys. I do agree that Adama needs a face up jumper (preferably out to 3) and better passing skills. I just think he can certainly develop those. He's a swing 4-5 at the NBA level if he does that.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

You’re right but I think if you’re like the best slightly undersized traditional big, completely dominating the college competition, you can carve out a niche in the league. As long as he continues to improve his agility and develops like an elbow jumper he’ll be fine. DeJuan Blair played a number of years in the league, Zach Randolph was an all-star, Draymond Green plays in the post a lot there’s definitely a space, albeit small, for the type of player he can be. I’m really encouraged by his ability to catch the lob this year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On what planet would Sanogo play PF in the NBA? It's like some of you don't even watch sportscenter highlights. Good grief.

Grant Williams plays PF.

Reaction Score
He's a power forward playing the post.He's not a wing you won't see him shooting the long ball that's not what hurly wants.folks are saying he doesn't show enough shooting skills,that's not his job atm.

Reaction Score
Grant Williams plays PF.

Yeah? And Kemba Walker plays PG. They have completely different skillsets. It's not a reasonable comparison.

I watch most every eltics game I can. Grant Williams handles the ball, shoots it, makes drives into the post--every game. He has a PF perimeter and mid-post skillset. He's driving the ball and shooting 3s every single game.

Sanogo is a center. A really, really good one. He has a beast of a low-post skillset. He will probably play in the NBA as a center. Pretending like he's going to suit up as a PF is ludicrous and shows just how little of the NBA you pay attention to. Are you just saying Grant Williams because they're both about 6'8 and 240lbs?

Guess how minutes of PF Sanogo has played in college or HS? (hint: the answer is 0)

Guess how many minutes of PF Grant Williams played in college, let alone the pros: (hint: A lot.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's a power forward playing the post.He's not a wing you won't see him shooting the long ball that's not what hurly wants.folks are saying he doesn't show enough shooting skills,that's not his job atm.

1983 called, they want their power forward back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom